• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne v Sydney Swans

dee-luded

Yeah I would like to see Scully as a dee next year....by playing the game fair and square ( not tanking )....and that we didn't do today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More explanation marks.....please???????

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely disgusted in the selectors....let's see who will be dropped next week!!!!!!!!.....if it's on bad form out Miller and Newton. Reminded me of Whitnall round 22 ...CARLTANK. All those missed goals was embarrassing. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, email the club then!

Next week: - Bruce & Jurrah

IN: Sylvia; Bail.

Been away all weekend and have none of the game, just saw Cale poll a few votes on here and was wondering with only 10 touches how he managed to play so well? If he actually did?

Played a tagging role on Goodes and definitely had his measure.

Very good team job from Cale today, and a great learning experience.

Thought Newton applied good pressure, presented well. There's only one other area of 'footy smarts' a player like him needs, the kicking accuracy. As he'd never played Manuka before and served our agenda brilliantly, I'd love to see him play next week too.

Wowww niceee. DB is doing a good job playing the boys in a lot of different spots.

How did Jordie go? Sorry cant be bothered reading through its to late and it's been a long w/e.

Edited by Mr Morton

Wowww niceee. DB is doing a good job playing the boys in a lot of different spots.

How did Jordie go? Sorry cant be bothered reading through its to late and it's been a long w/e.

Best way to explain Cale's game today is 10 touches but 7 1%ers. Showed plenty today. So did Jordie, very clean by hand and foot, he's definitely AFL standard.

All that stood in the way of a win today was truly dreadful kicking for goal - sitters missed by Miller & Newton (2 or 3 each), PJ & Bruce. Field kicking, especially delivery into the 50, was terrible too, yet we could have easily won.

Yeah I would like to see Scully as a dee next year....by playing the game fair and square ( not tanking )....and that we didn't do today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TB, I'm with you! As you do, I want us to get Scully just as bad as anyone, but without tanking. Our foot skills were terrible, yet we were in a winning position with Wheels's goal. IMO all that kept us in the game was our intensity and attack on the ball, and a team that tanks does not play with that level of intensity. I really think that Miller & Newton (and the others) were actually trying to kick goals but they just didn't kick straight. Let's face it, it's not like they're reliable set shots most of the time, Newton would have about 3 goals 10 for the year. They haven't sold their soul yet.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Oh please! Newton and Miller are such certanties to be picked each week that they will miss goals on purpose just so we get better draft picks and ensure that the best that will happen to them is to either be dropped/traded or delisted? :wacko: FFS we have been the worst side in the comp for 2 and 1/2 years because we have Newtons and Millers as our best available. This freakin' PP stuff is turning us all demented.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

In that case Miller also had a good game.

He took better marks, had more shots on goal, and led better.

But in reality, both had ordinary games. At least Miller provides us with a moving target.

The issue with Newton, kicking aside, is that he lacks football smarts and just has no idea what to do most of the time. Couple that with horrendous kicking skills, and you got yourself someone who IMO is beyond salvation.

The issue with Newton has never been whether or not he has the gift. He has all sorts of class... he has even shown he can kick straight in the past. His issue is his heart, pure and simple. I've never seen a clearer example of a player with application problems. If he gave 100% all of the time, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hhhmmm ...

Their kicking for goal cost us the game, obviously. (Thankfully?!) But they also gave us the chance to win it, with their work-rate, structure and marking. 'Ordinary' is probably the least appropriate adjective. Such was the incredible gulf between what they did well and poorly, they are anything but.

That's quite a good post actually.

The issue with Newton has never been whether or not he has the gift. He has all sorts of class... he has even shown he can kick straight in the past. His issue is his heart, pure and simple. I've never seen a clearer example of a player with application problems. If he gave 100% all of the time, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I might've accepted that argument a year or two ago, but based on form at Casey and on yesterday's game, I reckon that's rubbish. His defensive pressure and first and second efforts are more than up to scratch. It's his kicking for goal that is a problem, and as he's kicked large bags in the VFL, I'd suggest this problem is entirely in his head. I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that he isn't giving 100% 100% of the time this year.

Agree wholeheartedly. It would be great if in the future Cale could emulate some of Goodes achievements.

I might've accepted that argument a year or two ago, but based on form at Casey and on yesterday's game, I reckon that's rubbish. His defensive pressure and first and second efforts are more than up to scratch. It's his kicking for goal that is a problem, and as he's kicked large bags in the VFL, I'd suggest this problem is entirely in his head. I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that he isn't giving 100% 100% of the time this year.

Agree with that. The issue with Newton is whether he will ever get his head together to make it at AFL level.

absolutely disgusted in the selectors....let's see who will be dropped next week!!!!!!!!.....if it's on bad form out Miller and Newton. Reminded me of Whitnall round 22 ...CARLTANK. All those missed goals was embarrassing. !!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you insinuate that Miller or Newton were tanking!!

I mean, Whitnall missed those goals in 2007 because of the fact that he was crap.

You can be disgusted at the selectors but don't sit there and type that Miller and Newton were missing goals on purpose.

Players' don't tank.

And who would want to have a win over the rabble that was the Sydney Swans on Sunday be the difference between us and a PP?

Why are people so in love with crappy, scrappy wins against sides that don't turn up on the day, at the end of another losing year?

So... in effect... you're basically saying... you hope that we really are that bad.

Interesting attempt at a positive outlook

How dare you insinuate that Miller or Newton were tanking!!

I mean, Whitnall missed those goals in 2007 because of the fact that he was crap.

You can be disgusted at the selectors but don't sit there and type that Miller and Newton were missing goals on purpose.

Players' don't tank.

And who would want to have a win over the rabble that was the Sydney Swans on Sunday be the difference between us and a PP?

Why are people so in love with crappy, scrappy wins against sides that don't turn up on the day, at the end of another losing year?

because they are deluded idiots.

I agree. Don't know about anyone else, but I've never felt so flat after a win as I did against Port. We were poor, they just happened to somehow be worse. Sydney were only marginally better.

I could maybe suffer the wins if they were because we were playing brilliant, beautiful football, but we're still playing rubbish, even when we're competitive. I could definitely at least sympathise with the anti-tankers anyway. Eeking out wins against horse poo sides does nothing for me.

Morton doing an ok job on Goodes.

Having been there and watching that contest all day, Morton gave him an absolute bath! He outplayed him to the extent that Goodes stood around hands on hips for the majority of the last quarter. Brilliant game, Cale. How he didn't get in the best, is totally beyond me. Gee, he's an exciting kid. Oh and Bailey was certainly being devious with his use of Cale on Goodes.

Roos shifted Goodes into the middle to shrug the tag and Bailey didn't bother playing Morton on him in the middle, instead had Dunn running with him and straight away he got a couple of cheap possessions. But Cale picked him up for the majority of the match. I think I counted 5 or 6 possessions that he had on Cale all day. Like the game against the Eagles, where Bailey had Flash sitting on the bench to start the last quarter, he left Morton on the bench to start the last quarter and let Sydney get a goal, before bringing him back on.

Jurrah mysteriously on the bench for big periods of time in this quarter.

I watched a couple of times as Jurrah limped off to the bench. He may not have seemed injured amongst the play, but it seemed to hurt him. It took him a while to get back out there in the first place too. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him the week off, next week.

Crowd of 7,311 for the game!!!

I would have thought that was a pretty good crowd for Manuka. The stand at the Sydney cheersquad end was a little empty and there weren't too many in the standing area on the wing, but everywhere else was pretty full.

Newts 6 tackles for the game. Only Kirk and Jones has more for the game.

His defensive pressure was great. Fix the kicking and he might still be a player. I watched him take a number of set shots in the pre-match warm up and he was taking them from about 30-35 out and hooking them quite a way. The ball drop seems to be the problem. That and lack of confidence.

Agreed, Nasher. Well said. You could tell, even from his practice shots before the match, that he dreads kicking at goal. Mostly, because rightly or wrongly, the supporters get on his back if he does the slightest thing wrong.

Leaving Bruce in the team and bringing in Newton.

The perfect way to tank.

Bloody silly post!

Newton and Miller actually played well but kicked appallingly--question is wwether you dump fellows who can compete on the forward line as they did both against strong opponents.

I was particularly surprised by Newton's defensive skills, tackling etc. And in a decent side he would have kicked at least 2 more goals. Davey missed him with 1 15m pass directly in front, then kicked it over his head [for a point] when N was alone in the square.

I'm hearing the kicking coach this week--we have plenty to ask him! Bartram ,also the subject of many criticisms, also played well

In that case Miller also had a good game.

He took better marks, had more shots on goal, and led better.

But in reality, both had ordinary games. At least Miller provides us with a moving target.

The issue with Newton, kicking aside, is that he lacks football smarts and just has no idea what to do most of the time. Couple that with horrendous kicking skills, and you got yourself someone who IMO is beyond salvation.

Newton is 22 and has played about that number of games. People much closer to the club than I am say that he's a bloody good long kick when not under pressure. No technique problems. Has pace and takes good marks every time he's played. They say attitude WAS a problem, but not now

With Miller I have to concede it's [kicking] more of a problem--he's 25, played heaps of games. Didn't he kick something like 23 goals 10 last year? Why has he regressed?

Here's a new question. What are we aiming for next year? In my view it must be to improve and win as many games as possible in which case I think that Newton Miller Jurrah should all play on our forward line together with the crumbers. Watts won't be ready to play a key forward role until 2011 will he? I don't think Martin is a forward. Bate is not a key position forward. In fact I'm more gloomy about Bate than any of the above, because his ball handling is poor and he takes barely any contested marks. Can't pick the ball up. When he does get it he kicks well, but he mucks up so many chances to get the ball.

Comments?

Newton is 22 and has played about that number of games. People much closer to the club than I am say that he's a bloody good long kick when not under pressure. No technique problems. Has pace and takes good marks every time he's played. They say attitude WAS a problem, but not now

Newton is contracted for next year so he will be here. Hopefully he can get some work done in the gym this summer.

With Miller I have to concede it's [kicking] more of a problem--he's 25, played heaps of games. Didn't he kick something like 23 goals 10 last year? Why has he regressed?

Bate has moved past him as the hard working, hard leading HFF. 2010 will be a pivotal year.

Here's a new question. What are we aiming for next year? In my view it must be to improve and win as many games as possible in which case I think that Newton Miller Jurrah should all play on our forward line together with the crumbers. Watts won't be ready to play a key forward role until 2011 will he?

Developing a team that will challenge for the flag (in future years) would be the aim - Watts may not be ready to step in as CHF from Rd 1 next year but he is the future and we have to pump games into him. If you win games, all well and good, but don't stunt the development of Watts behind Newton if that's the choice.

Given that Watts would play a majority, if not all, of the games next year - Miller, Bate, Newton, and Jurrah can't play in the same team. Watts, Bate, and Jurrah are certainites in my eyes - Miller and Newton would struggle to get a look in.

Bate is not a key position forward. In fact I'm more gloomy about Bate than any of the above, because his ball handling is poor and he takes barely any contested marks. Can't pick the ball up. When he does get it he kicks well, but he mucks up so many chances to get the ball.

Comments?

Bate is not a KP forward. He is a HFF attempting to play FF and CHF at different times in the worst team in the league with the worst delivery in the league.

And yet he has 23 goals 10 behinds, and is second to Davey in assists with 19. And he averages a contested mark every game.

He is a player.