2007 repeating itself

Bruce Almighty

surely the club has learnt from the experience of being burnt in 07, what the hell did 5 wins do for us that year?????? thats right it robbed us of an elite talent. surely the club has learned this and will not make the same mistake, i dont give a crap who labells us tankers, the dockers and eagles are already doing it, do you think they care.

Play the Youth and rest the players who have niggles

surely the club has learnt from the experience of being burnt in 07, what the hell did 5 wins do for us that year?????? thats right it robbed us of an elite talent. surely the club has learned this and will not make the same mistake, i dont give a crap who labells us tankers, the dockers and eagles are already doing it, do you think they care.

Play the Youth and rest the players who have niggles

Don't Forget we Have a sick & recuperating President & ex Player at home right now, the boys want to win. Get used to it. I believe after round 22 we will have won 7 games. Before Jimma's Mishap coming out i was on the same page as you. But now it will not happen.

Liam Jurrah is going to kick a bag soon & i want to see it.

Long as the club can Find a good midfielder next year i will be cool.

Edited by why you little

Don't Forget we Have a sick & recuperating President & ex Player at home right now, the boys want to win. Get used to it. I believe after round 22 we will have won 7 games. Before Jimma's Mishap coming out i was on the same page as you. But now it will not happen.

Liam Jurrah is going to kick a bag soon & i want to see it.

Long as the club can Find a good midfielder next year i will be cool.

This isn't an ideal scenario but IF we get the 5th I want more than that.

Finishing on 5 and 17 would make me sick.

So if we do ge the 5th, I hope you're right.

This isn't an ideal scenario but IF we get the 5th I want more than that.

Finishing on 5 and 17 would make me sick.

So if we do ge the 5th, I hope you're right.

I wanted 4 wins Like you, But it aint going to happen.

We can beat Richmond Swans North & the shockers. Remember they don't realy want to win either!!!!

It will be a fascinating last 7 weeks indeed.

If, after 3 miserable years, we receive pick 5-6 I will be ropable.

Only Melbourne could win 4 out of 35 (9 out of 57) to then win 4-6 of the last 9 of the season.

God we need quality players, as many as possible. Now is the time to be greedy

Only Melbourne could win 4 out of 35 (9 out of 57) to then win 4-6 of the last 9 of the season.

So True..there is NOTHING to be gained by winning 5 games this year...NOTHING ! :angry:

It just beggars disbelief that we can fall for these faux heroics of !! "we dont tank" oh no... we are pure of spirit etc etc blah blah BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

This is a business...yes a sporting game but run on a business model. In doing so you must rationalise and grow your assets to the best of YOUR advantage ..and quite frankly stuff everyone else. Businesses have fire sales.. sometimes they sell things as a door buster and LOSE money on them in order to bolster the underlying bottom line.

We're supposed to have some smart minds at the MFC..Smart my arse if this is their game plan. DUMB is the only word that comes to mind...well not really as theres some adjectives that ought to supplant <_<

I can only hope that they are indeed playing the "game" by saying one thing and orchestrating another !!

There will be howls of protest and many many emails and letters if we dont get our just desserts come end of season. Carlton blatantly flout all the rules and are ( they must be by lack of action ) condoned by the AFL.Collingwood have the league hoodwinked and more power to them , we ought to learn.Essendon do it their way. Btw..notice those three clubs have the most premierships also. Are we really that bloody stupid that we feel the need to assume the moral crown and sacrifice our longer term aspirations for fleeting martyrdom ??

True leadership would be to amass the players and sit them down and explain the whole thing about battles and wars..and the concept of a strategic withdrawl to allow a regrouping and bolstering of ranks in order to mount a better, stronger campaign.

Are we as a club just that @#$%!!*^ DUMB !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by belzebub59

I feel sick about winning more than four, heads should roll if we win more than five games, the cost of not doing so will outweigh any benefit this is despite what people say, the long term view must be taken. I am happy for the boys to get a winning culture but that can wait until next year. It is too crucial with gold coast taking every decent pick for the next few years,

A thumping win over Freo will do me for the rest of the year. But...

I just hope that we don't have to take the fall that finally makes the AFL change this system. I fear that we may...

And, ironically, by taking the fall I mean winning games of league football.

I wanted 4 wins Like you, But it aint going to happen.

We can beat Richmond Swans North & the shockers. Remember they don't realy want to win either!!!!

There are so many threads on the one topic I'm not sure which one to post in.

I watched Bailey closely when he was on 'On the Couch' last night and I came away thinking that he's going to try to manage the best scenario for the club's future. He said all the right things from a PR perspective, but he also added that he's going to keep playing young players, as well as putting them in different positions as an education process, etc. I just got a very strong feeling that he knows how important it is not to win even though he couldn't say as much. Perhaps I was the only one that sensed it.

As for beating the teams you refer to; the Swans will want to win. Roos knows the Swans can't afford to be non-competitive due to their unusual market. He also doesn't place as much importance in draft selections. They've got a very staunch leadership group that will walk over hot coals to win. I'm not too worried about that match.

Richmond has a caretaker coach who'll be going all out to reverse their loss to us in round 4 as well as impress in his role. They'll be a different propostion to last time and are starting to find form. They could've beaten Carlton if it wasn't for Fevola. I'd back them to win against us.

North should be too strong at Etihad and Crocker will want wins. They're already on 4 wins and I doubt they see themselves in pp territory. And in a shallow draft one more selection around pick 20 isn't worth tanking for.

Freo will be hard to lose to.

And we're also assuming that none of the other teams on 3 wins will jag a win or two. We all play each other.

I still reckon that Scully and the PP is well and truly within our grasp.

What's this I hear about the Club saying it doesnt want Tom Scully and wants junk time wins to prevent us from getting a PPs????

What the heck is going on with the Club when we have the chance to get pick 1 and 2 and we're now going for wins for the next 7 games!

The entire board and coaching staff should be sacked if we win 5 games.

That's the trouble with Melbourne we never just let go even when our season is GONE we win these crap games at the end of the year to deny us a decent chance to rebuild with quality picks. This is the LAST decent draft for a long time and we're going for wins?????

No wonder our Club is down the crapper we have these Clowns running us.

There are so many threads on the one topic I'm not sure which one to post in.

I watched Bailey closely when he was on 'On the Couch' last night and I came away thinking that he's going to try to manage the best scenario for the club's future. He said all the right things from a PR perspective, but he also added that he's going to keep playing young players, as well as putting them in different positions as an education process, etc. I just got a very strong feeling that he knows how important it is not to win even though he couldn't say as much. Perhaps I was the only one that sensed it.

As for beating the teams you refer to; the Swans will want to win. Roos knows the Swans can't afford to be non-competitive due to their unusual market. He also doesn't place as much importance in draft selections. They've got a very staunch leadership group that will walk over hot coals to win. I'm not too worried about that match.

Richmond has a caretaker coach who'll be going all out to reverse their loss to us in round 4 as well as impress in his role. They'll be a different propostion to last time and are starting to find form. They could've beaten Carlton if it wasn't for Fevola. I'd back them to win against us.

North should be too strong at Etihad and Crocker will want wins. They're already on 4 wins and I doubt they see themselves in pp territory. And in a shallow draft one more selection around pick 20 isn't worth tanking for.

Freo will be hard to lose to.

And we're also assuming that none of the other teams on 3 wins will jag a win or two. We all play each other.

I still reckon that Scully and the PP is well and truly within our grasp.

I hope you are right Hannabel-i really do, but ithink you underestimate the "Jim Stynes" Factor in all this.

The Players WANT to win, & that is real hard to stop....

I noticed it, too.

Bailey was extremely careful - some would call it cagey - in his replies, almost like a politician, in the way he talked around the issue of tanking.

I get the feeling that Bailey understands that it is just as important for the club to not win as it is for him to not say we are trying to not win.

I noticed it, too.

Bailey was extremely careful - some would call it cagey - in his replies, almost like a politician, in the way he talked around the issue of tanking.

Yep. As short-sighted as it sounds, this is absolutely true: Bailey's future at Melbourne has more chance of prolonging itself if we start to lose games. Winning three more games this year will be less beneficial (than getting the PP) coming through next year and in to 2011. Seeing as there is no pressure on him either, the positives of winning now are far less than the positives of potentially winning more next year and '11.

Edited by Adelaide Demon

W_Y_L, I see where you're coming from, but I can also see the youngsters coping a bashing on Saturday and getting done on a new ground to many of them.

By this stage it will be a long time since the original emotion of the terrible situation. I'm also sure Jim Stynes wants what is best for the club - he's not going anywhere and he'll want the club to win a Premiership.

surely the club has learnt from the experience of being burnt in 07, what the hell did 5 wins do for us that year??????

Apparently it helped us develop a winning culture.

For those who suggest that for this reason we should win as many as we can this year, I'd like to know what happened in 2008.

It just beggars disbelief that we can fall for these faux heroics of !! "we dont tank" oh no... we are pure of spirit etc etc blah blah BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

This is a business...yes a sporting game but run on a business model. In doing so you must rationalise and grow your assets to the best of YOUR advantage ..and quite frankly stuff everyone else. Businesses have fire sales.. sometimes they sell things as a door buster and LOSE money on them in order to bolster the underlying bottom line.

We're supposed to have some smart minds at the MFC..Smart my arse if this is their game plan. DUMB is the only word that comes to mind...well not really as theres some adjectives that ought to supplant <_<

I can only hope that they are indeed playing the "game" by saying one thing and orchestrating another !!

There will be howls of protest and many many emails and letters if we dont get our just desserts come end of season. Carlton blatantly flout all the rules and are ( they must be by lack of action ) condoned by the AFL.Collingwood have the league hoodwinked and more power to them , we ought to learn.Essendon do it their way. Btw..notice those three clubs have the most premierships also. Are we really that bloody stupid that we feel the need to assume the moral crown and sacrifice our longer term aspirations for fleeting martyrdom ??

True leadership would be to amass the players and sit them down and explain the whole thing about battles and wars..and the concept of a strategic withdrawl to allow a regrouping and bolstering of ranks in order to mount a better, stronger campaign.

Are we as a club just that @#$%!!*^ DUMB !!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't have put it any better!

We win 5, WC win 4 or less = W.C. get pick one and another pick depending on ladder position

We win 4 or less = We get pick one.

Apparently it helped us develop a winning culture.

For those who suggest that for this reason we should win as many as we can this year, I'd like to know what happened in 2008.

Obviously if we didn't have the winning culture, we would've won 0 games last year.

Would've been flogged by 30 goals in round 1 instead of the competitive 17 goals loss.

Surprising also Richmond aren't on top of the ladder after gaining that winning culture and winning 8 of the last 10.

A winning culture comes from when you have a good enough group of players that win week in week out and against the best. Not beat 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th (who've all packed the season away) from round 15 onwards.

Winning 5 games in a season is not a winning culture.

Tom Scully will rip it up next year who ever he plays for and if it isn't the dees i will spew, NO POINT at all to win 5/6 games this year, we need a bit a class in our line up

Didn't expect to win. Didn't (within my ego based long term MFC plan) want to win.

Loved the win.

Four quarters of football. It's been a long time coming.

Am leaving the margin calls and associated angst for the rest of the season to those employed to do so.

Otherwise the ego might just force me to blow a brain circuit or two.