Jack Watts

jabberwocky

Master D, I have been critical of Watts but to compare him to Everitt defies belief imo

Why? Decent height, can run, can use the ball when not being too clever by half and likes to play on the outside.

If Watts is developed as a third tall forward I'm struggling to see him getting a regular game. I'm pretty sure Roos named him on a wing when he named his mock Melbourne team. I know unless we had injuries to Clark, Dawes, Howe, Hogan or Fitz as that 3 of them were injured concurrently I wouldn't be putting Watts in the forward half. That's where my Everitt comparison comes from.

i still want to trade Watts. Try and get an extra pick for him and grab a midfielder. I just dont think hes got enough of the competitive spirit in him. Skilled for sure but where do we play him?

Id rather get a hard at it midfielder for him out of the draft, plus aish and billings/sscharenberg/kelly etc and Buddy in free agency. Theres a midfield plus buddy for the marketing and crowd draw. We're away.

Taylor Adams for watts would be a nice result. add him to the guys mentioned above plus franklin

Edited by Munga

i still want to trade Watts. Try and get an extra pick for him and grab a midfielder. I just dont think hes got enough of the competitive spirit in him. Skilled for sure but where do we play him?

Id rather get a hard at it midfielder for him out of the draft, plus aish and billings/sscharenberg/kelly etc and Buddy in free agency. Theres a midfield plus buddy for the marketing and crowd draw. We're away.

Taylor Adams for watts would be a nice result. add him to the guys mentioned above plus franklin

Why trade Watts? It seems that you are hell-bent onn doing it just on principle. There is every chance we may still entice Taylor Adams particularly when we have No. 2 draft pick and a high chance of a priority pick. We may also get Boyd (as a better and cheaper option than Franklin) if we are clever. Rest assured, injection of elite midfielders into our list is not dependant on jettisoning a No. 1 draft pick which IMO would make us look stupid.

Thanks Chook. We get it.

You will find about 15k 'die hard' supporters in the same group; lapsed members who will re-sign when Roos signs.

Sorry. One thread is about Jack Watts. The other thread is about Paul Roos. That picture is about both.

I think its belief in the club, & following that, its commitment.

remember Josh hunt, was it last year, when he ducked his head a couple of weeks running? it think that was wavering commitment, causing a mental distraction, focus off ball & onto peripheral things.

All part of it but he just doesn't know how to work hard enough to harness his abilities. If he goes, he goes once then doesn't back up again and again week after week. Nothing about wavering or distraction, it's just plain work rate.

give him a 2 Yr contract & see what can be done.

we give one another 2 seasons to see how things turn.

if it doesn't work, we can workout a deal then.

All part of it but he just doesn't know how to work hard enough to harness his abilities. If he goes, he goes once then doesn't back up again and again week after week. Nothing about wavering or distraction, it's just plain work rate.

No I don't think its that certain...

I think all our players have been progressively worried about the Club direction (belief), & how that effects their careers, & therefore it effects their desire, commitment & output.

Everybody seems to want to trade Watts, thinking that it is the solution to our midfield problems and has no downside:

• For those that think we should have taken Nic Natainui instead of the top-ranked Melbourne-based option, rest assured they would now be watching Nic play for Fremantle instead of West Coast, whilst Watts would be with one of our Melbourne [top eight] rivals;
  • for those that say Watts is soft because he went to Brighton Grammar, so did Chris Dawes and nobody is saying he is a soft public schoolboy;
  • for those that say Watts is not hard enough at the ball and we should have 22 Luke Tapscotts in our team instead, just look at their comparitive stats for both possessions and effective disposals and you will see that there is a massive difference in skill levels; (I know who Roos would prefer to keep)
  • for those who think that as a public relations exercise we would look intelligent trading off a No. 1 draft pick in desperation, think again;
  • for those who want to tell all the young Demon supporters with No. 4 on the back of their jumper that they are jettisoning their favourite player, make sure you can replace him first with someone who we prove as good a role model.
  • Like 3

Interesting that Roos put Watts on the wing in his write up on Melbourne's best 22...

For what it's worth, I agree with him. That's where I've always seen as his best position. Great disposal into the forward line where it's needed, and a good sense of the game which would allow him to drift forward or back as required.

• Like 1

Depends on what is offered 'wyl' and Roos might have other ideas.

Look at what Roos did with "unwanted" rejects at Sydney.

He will want Watts. The guy has enormous talent.

He lacks application. The right teacher can fix that pretty quickly.

Anybody who wants to trade Watts without giving him 2 years at least under Roos and co is a fool.

What a ridiculous statement. He is EXACTLY the player we need to trade, right now while he has value, for a player that produces every week.

if he wont play for Paul he wont play for anyone id say.

2 y seems reasonable

• Like 1

Everybody seems to want to trade Watts, thinking that it is the solution to our midfield problems and has no downside:

• For those that think we should have taken Nic Natainui instead of the top-ranked Melbourne-based option, rest assured they would now be watching Nic play for Fremantle instead of West Coast, whilst Watts would be with one of our Melbourne [top eight] rivals;
  • for those that say Watts is soft because he went to Brighton Grammar, so did Chris Dawes and nobody is saying he is a soft public schoolboy;
  • for those that say Watts is not hard enough at the ball and we should have 22 Luke Tapscotts in our team instead, just look at their comparitive stats for both possessions and effective disposals and you will see that there is a massive difference in skill levels; (I know who Roos would prefer to keep)
  • for those who think that as a public relations exercise we would look intelligent trading off a No. 1 draft pick in desperation, think again;
  • for those who want to tell all the young Demon supporters with No. 4 on the back of their jumper that they are jettisoning their favourite player, make sure you can replace him first with someone who we prove as good a role model.

Have read this twice....?

If Roos wants him and he wants to stay, I would offer a year, that is plenty of time to see if he has the snickers. But the way contracts work they will probably have to agree on 2.

Edited by dandeeman

Have read this twice....?

If Roos wants him and he wants to stay, I would offer a year, that is plenty of time to see if he has the snickers. But the way contracts work they will probably have to agree on 2.

he would go to another team if we offer him 1 year

'

i guarantee other teams are offering him 3 years

What a ridiculous statement. He is EXACTLY the player we need to trade, right now while he has value, for a player that produces every week.

He will produce results under Roos. That is EXACTLY why we must keep him on the list so he reaches his vast potential.

Jack Watts is the perfect fit for Paul Roos.

He will produce results under Roos. That is EXACTLY why we must keep him on the list so he reaches his vast potential.

Jack Watts is the perfect fit for Paul Roos.

On what basis can you say that? What's your reasoning?

There is overwhelming evidence to suggest there are some things about Watts' game that won't change and will always prevent him from being a good, consistent footballer. I'm intrigued as to what Roos could get out of him but you're making it sound like it's a given he'll be transformed.