Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

jabberwocky

I admit I know very little of Jack Watts' junior career and it would be great to hear from those who have seen a bit of Jack Watts before MFC. I have seen some clips and read his reviews. After watching him a couple of times in the flesh and a few times on the box. I now have myself attempting to evaluate exactly what type of player he is.

What style of player will he become? I have changed my view. I expected him to end up a hard running athetic forward capable of a high flying pack mark in the mould of Riewoldt. I now see him in the James Hird mould. He has a great knack of snaffling the footy with one grab either in the air or on the ground. He also seems to be able to attract the footy to his hands even when out of position with great agility and co-ordination. He can then get himself clear with poise and class. So far he has shown a tendency to stay on the ground and avoid the packs. This leads me into my second question.

It appears that Jack Watts is not placing himself in contested situations. Is this by his design or on the advice of our coaching staff? I have a feeling that it may be the latter.

The third question is: Should a player who actively avoids contests be consistently playing AFL football regardless of the reasons? If a player or the club hasn't got confidence in the players body to withstand a contest, should that disclude them from playing senior footy until the player's body is ready. I can understand that a player may be given a taste of what is required in the big league for a couple of games. Should they be playing on a weekly basis. I am not necessarily looking at Jack when I ask this question.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

I admit I know very little of Jack Watts junior career and it would be great to hear from those who have seen a bit of Jack Watts before MFC. I have seen some clips and read his reviews. After watching him a couple of times in the flesh and a few times on the box. I now have myself attempting to evaluate exactly what type of player he is.

What style of player will he become? I have changed my view. I expected him to end up a hard running athetic forward capable of a high flying pack mark in the mould of Riewoldt. I now see him in the James Hird mould. He has a great knack of snaffling the footy with one grab either in the air or on the ground. He also seems to be able to attract the footy to his hands even when out of position with great agility and co-ordination. He can then get himself clear with poise and class. So far he has shown a tendency to stay on the ground and avoid the packs. This leads me into my second question.

It appears that Jack Watts is not placing himself in contested situations. Is this by his design or on the advice of our coaching staff? I have a feeling that it may be the latter.

The third question is: Should a player who actively avoids contests be consistently playing AFL football regardless of the reasons? I can understand that a player may be given a taste of what is required in the big league for a couple of games. Should they be playing on a weekly basis. I am not necessarily looking at Jack when I ask this question.

A taller stronger better Pendlebury.

He stops and props just like him, has the same poise and not coincidentally has a similar basketball background.

I admit I know very little of Jack Watts junior career and it would be great to hear from those who have seen a bit of Jack Watts before MFC. I have seen some clips and read his reviews. After watching him a couple of times in the flesh and a few times on the box. I now have myself attempting to evaluate exactly what type of player he is.

The third question is: Should a player who actively avoids contests be consistently playing AFL football regardless of the reasons? I can understand that a player may be given a taste of what is required in the big league for a couple of games. Should they be playing on a weekly basis. I am not necessarily looking at Jack when I ask this question.

It's far from relevant to the real world now , but he played an under age game against my son's team 4 years ago and he kicked either 5 or 6 goals from CHB .

To further rub salt into the wound , he also dominated an underage basketball game against my son's team around the same time .

He was drafted as a key forward.

At the moment he is looking like a poor mans Cale Morton.

But its very early days.

But its very early days.

At the moment he looks like a talented 18 year old who needs to develop his body.

Who in their right mind could possibly be surprised by that..?

Although... Cale still looks like that too. But he's only a year ahead of Watts.

Prendergast always said our draft picks were chosen with an eye to the future and they would take time. Be mindful of this.

At the moment he looks like a talented 18 year old who needs to develop his body.

Who in their right mind could possibly be surprised by that..?

Although... Cale still looks like that too. But he's only a year ahead of Watts.

Prendergast always said our draft picks were chosen with an eye to the future and they would take time. Be mindful of this.

Actually Watts already looks as if there is some body development taking place ; the same certainly can't be said for Morton whose body shape looks to be regressing

The club wouldn't direct him to stay out of contests, thats something he chooses to do. He needs a little more mongel in him. I think your right about watts being a bit like hird except that hird was one of the hardest players you will ever see.

Did you guys watch him today? He didnt star, but he was rock bloody solid. He was in the packs abit more today too. His hands in close were fantastic actually, and he was prominent in the 3rd quarter when Casey put the foot down and won the game. His running to space and setting up team mates was definitely a highlight of the quarter, and should have Melbourne supporters excited at those footy smarts. He was running to the right spots, and finished with 22 touches 1 goal from 3 quarters of footy. He turned it over twice in the first half from poor kicks into the wind, but other than that his disposal efficiency was one of the best on the ground. He missed the last quarter due to the minor ankle injury, but seriously, he couldnt have done much more today other than bombing a 60 metre goal or something miraculous.

His body is already looking like it's getting bigger and harder. He is an 18 year old school boy in his first season, and he is starting exactly the same way Nick Reiwolt did; playing up the ground on the wing and flanks. He is at 196cms and 86kgs atm apparently, over the next 2 preseasons I'd wager he'll bulk up another 10kgs to 96kgs, and be an athletic hard working marking forward exactly like Nick Reiwolt. I'm predicting this year and next will be learning years as he continues to gain more experience and put on more size, but 2011 he will stamp himself on the competition. Watts is an athletic, agile big man, and will wind up a mobile CHF, but what we also need is a big FF to compliment him. Anyhoo, he's going along beautifully, and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously knows nothing about football. He was taken as a long term prospect, so give him time :)

Edited by Lord Travis

I agree! He will be a James hird type of player. Just give him time! He is devoloping well for a kid doing his year 12. And remember he has'nt even done a pre-season. Wait until he gets 2 or 3 of those under his belt. He will burn!!!

Actually Watts already looks as if there is some body development taking place ; the same certainly can't be said for Morton whose body shape looks to be regressing

I thought so too, until a little earlier today I watched some of the Freo win from last year -- Morton actually looks a bit more solid now, albeit not by much.

But its very early days.

You are brain dead.

The third question is: Should a player who actively avoids contests be consistently playing AFL football regardless of the reasons?

What are you basing this on? do not tell me from today's game?

Edited by Mr Morton

What are you basing this on? do not tell me from today's game?

Guest Watts=Saviour

I fully agree with Travis, I was happy with his game today. I still see him becoming the Reiwolt type player, but if he's anything like Hird that's nothing to compain about!

Since coming to the club, has has grown 3 centermeters and put on 7 kg which is good signs.

Just shows how much development he has left. Guys like Rich have already delveloped into their body and can feel comfortable and confident in it.

Jack and Cale are very much in the same boat. Once their body's are right to go there will be a steep improvement.

Agree with that. Watt's body looks like it'll fill out into an imposing build eventually. Morton, on the other hand, doesn't look like he'll add much weight. He will get stronger, but it won't be noticable on appearance alone (a lot like Dustin Fletcher, who's still built like a skinny 18 yo).

His body is already looking like it's getting bigger and harder. He is an 18 year old school boy in his first season, and he is starting exactly the same way Nick Reiwolt did; playing up the ground on the wing and flanks. He is at 196cms and 86kgs atm apparently, over the next 2 preseasons I'd wager he'll bulk up another 10kgs to 96kgs, and be an athletic hard working marking forward exactly like Nick Reiwoldt. I'm predicting this year and next will be learning years as he continues to gain more experience and put on more size, but 2011 he will stamp himself on the competition. Watts is an athletic, agile big man, and will wind up a mobile CHF, but what we also need is a big FF to compliment him.

My thoughts exactly.

On today's game and all others I have seen him play he plays on the periphery of the contest. I would have thought that was fairly indisputable.

I'm afraid I dispute this. I think you're an idiot if this is what you've deduced from watching him play.

Just my opinion.

I'm afraid I dispute this. I think you're an idiot if this is what you've deduced from watching him play.

Just my opinion.

This is clear but it's not even worth disputing.

Edited by Mr Morton

Just my opinion.

Do you watch the footy? A 2 line post calling someone an idiot with no real argument to back it up, now that's what I call shirking a contest. Still I guess we're not all capable of having a mature discussion and presenting an argument to back it up. Take your rose coloured glasses and try assessing what you have seen so far.

Watts is quite clearly staying away from congested situations, whether it be marking stuations or on the deck. It's not a sledge, it is either the way he plays or the way he has been told to play. I started the thread partly to discuss which it is.

I can recall only a couple of times when I have seen him win a contested posession purely because he hasn't been getting into many contests.

Edited by dandeeman

There's been comparisons to James Hird, which I can kind of see, however Watts has the sidestep. When he gets the ball he can dodge opponenets by moving left or right with ease, he actually reminds me of a taller version of a young Gerard Healy. Used to love watchign Healy weaving through traffic, his move to Sydney devastated me for years.

Do you watch the footy? A 2 line post calling someone an idiot with no real argument to back it up, now that's what I call shirking a contest. Still I guess we're not all capable of having a mature discussion and presenting an argument to back it up. Take your rose coloured glasses and try assessing what you have seen so far.

Watts is quite clearly staying away from congested situations, whether it be marking stuations or on the deck. It's not a sledge, it is either the way he plays or the way he has been told to play. I started the thread partly to discuss which it is.

I can recall only a couple of times when I have seen him win a contested posession purely because he hasn't been getting into many contests.

I'd say I watch a lot more footy than you. Idiot.

I'm waiting for your evidence that he 'avoids contests'. What a ridiculous conclusion to make.

A KPP trying to find and get into space is a foreign notion to you is it? What do you think he is, an inside midfielder..?

I think the onus first of all is on you to provide some evidence that he avoids contests, then we go from there.

And to say that its indisputable..? This is where the 'idiot' comes in.

Your move.

Edited by Enforcer25

I'd say I watch a lot more footy than you. Idiot.

I'm waiting for your evidence that he 'avoids contests'. What a ridiculous conclusion to make.

A KPP trying to find and get into space is a foreign notion to you is it? What do you think he is, an inside midfielder..?

I think the onus first of all is on you to provide some evidence that he avoids contests, then we go from there.

And to say that its indisputable..? This is where the 'idiot' comes in.

Your move.

Steady on mate what's the deal, are you one of those blokes who goes ape droppings on the Bundy? Sheez, relax.

You clearly haven't been watching him as he hasn't been playing as a KPP at all. Which may in part answer what was a serious question. Is he strategically being kept away from contests to avoid packs crashing into him and getting crunched by gorilla backmen?

Edited by dandeeman

Steady on mate what's is the deal, are you one of those blokes who goes ape droppings on the Bundy? Sheez, relax.

You clearly haven't been watching him as he hasn't been playing as a KPP at all. Which may in part answer what was a serious question. Is he strategically being kept away from contests to avoid packs crashing into him and getting crunched by gorilla backmen?

So now your saying he is not avoiding contested situation but is being kept away from them? :huh: Far from what you were saying.

But I do think this is correct.

Edited by Mr Morton

So now your saying he is not avoiding contested situation but is being kept away from them? :huh: Far from what you were saying?

But I do think this is correct.

Actually if you read the OP it was thrown up as a question and I was expecting some educated discussion. Unfortunately there are some people who read things like this and interpret it as an insult to their deity and get defensive.

Again I am not sledging Jack and I don't expect him to be crashing packs and taking pack grabs on a regular basis at this point. Jack moves like a player who is going to be a champion. I was more interested in what style of champion people thought he would become.