• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sylvia's Replacement for the next 3 weeks??

Bates Mate

Hi All,

just wanted to get your throughts on who should replace Col for the next three weeks

Personally I think Dunn should be given 3 weeks to prove himself. He has been in the best 5 for casey for the last month and been kicking goals and getting heaps of the ball.

I would like to see Bailey use him the same way he has been using Sylvia floating between the wing and half forward, providing a lead up target and kicking some goals. Let him stick to one position for at least 3 weeks and give him a chance to settle

We need to see if Dunn is up to it

He should get one last chance

Give him 3 - 4 games and if he shows no improvement on his previous games this year he should be traded or de-listed.

What CAN Dunn offer? What HAS he offered this year?

Considering how long he has been in the system.

Edited by Mr Morton

I think for Dunn it is as much a state of mind as it is his natural ability. At VFL level he runs and attacks like he believes he is the best player on the ground. At AFL level he plays like he doesn't want to be the one to stuff it up.

Bailey needs to give him the rest of the season and if his return is poor then get rid of him. The worst result is to have him play 1-2 games, get dropped, dominate at VFL level again and then leave the list managers wondering if he is worth persisting with.

All for Dunn coming back in as a mirror of Matty Bate's role. Love to see Bate coming through the midfield and then popping up for some leads on/to the 50 arc. The inverse role needs to be given to Dunn. If working we'll have our HFF positions filled for the next 5 years.

This to me is not a replacement for Col, who is often referred to as a half forward but to me it seems pretty clear he's a goal kicking mid.

Dunn was a forward to begin with and now, having done some hard yards learning midfielder roles, should add what he's learnt to his trick bag and go back to how he began. The occasional relief stint is all the midfield time he should get.

His forward line pressure was one of the reasons we one against richmond.

I think for Dunn it is as much a state of mind as it is his natural ability. At VFL level he runs and attacks like he believes he is the best player on the ground. At AFL level he plays like he doesn't want to be the one to stuff it up.

Bailey needs to give him the rest of the season and if his return is poor then get rid of him. The worst result is to have him play 1-2 games, get dropped, dominate at VFL level again and then leave the list managers wondering if he is worth persisting with.

This is I think a pretty good evaluation of the trials and tribulations that are one Lynden Dunn. He is still reasonably young given his games.. He is however the dreaded 192.. :lol:;) Seriously though he needs to get with it at senior level or he is destined to be a very good VFL player...and no point him being ours !!

I cant se him for love or money being capable of filling Sylvia's boots ( in the manner Col has been playing of late ) but he may well get a call up....or more a put up or............. :rolleyes:

I would like to see Dunn, he does seem to have picked up in confidence at Casey. And confidence is the main thing he seems to need. If he hits form in the Dees, we'll have the makings of a really solid forward line.

But don't they have to fit Jack back in this week? And they couldn't drop Petterd after his game, could they?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
I would like to see Dunn, he does seem to have picked up in confidence at Casey. And confidence is the main thing he seems to need. If he hits form in the Dees, we'll have the makings of a really solid forward line.

Agree. I think he is a better player than he has shown recently and I would love to see a return to the form that had me so excited when he debuted.

Dunn, the next Steve Johnson perhaps?

Footloose and fancy-free roaming the forward line doing his thing.

Give him senior game time now and tell him to go for it; don't be shackled by a game-plan that stifles your natural exuberance, flair and instinct. ATM it looks like he's in grade 6 following all the teacher's rules.

He may cut it or he may not. But what a perfect opportunity to find out.

I'm not a fan of Dunn at all, but i think it would be fair to give him a go in the role Sylvia's been playing for the next 3 weeks.

His form at VFL level has been consistently good, but he's never even shown a shadow of that form in the AFL; he's the classic VFL-AFL in-betweener.

Give him 3 weeks and let him know, it's a "now-or-never" scenario for him. If he's good enough, he'll step up during that time and bridge the gap between his VFL and AFL form. Statistically speaking, an average of around 20 disposals, 6 marks and a goal a game (numbers we've rarely seen from him at AFL level) during those 3 weeks would probably be enough for him to get a final chance next year as a 22(?) year old. Anything less, and it's time to start planning for life after footy for Lynden.

I've not been a fan of Lynden (see above post ^), at least not since his early games. Too many times over the last 2-3 years, i've seen him 'squib' marking contests and look like he 'hears footsteps'. Today he went a long way to winning me back as a supporter. Still not entirely convinced, but have reconsidered the line I put thru his name many many weeks ago.

His courage in the air in pack situations could not be questioned today, and the way he went about his job on Cornes, while still finding the ball, was much improved on his stopping jobs of last season.

He's a superstar at VFL level, if he can continue to close the gap between his VFL and AFL form, he will be a good league player. Needs to continue on his form (and courage shown) from today though.

Edited by Doggo

I`ve always thought Dunn`s been good enough to play at the top level his strength, courage and marking ability can not be questioned. Won a fair share of his own footy to. Chad Cornes was killed. Go Dunny. Go dees

I`ve always thought Dunn`s been good enough to play at the top level his strength, courage and marking ability can not be questioned.

I don't agree with this at all.

Over the last 3 years, his courage and marking ability has definitely been questionable.

If it weren't, then why is he not used as a key position forward? Marking and courage in pack situations has never been Dunn's strength. Seeing him back into a couple of packs today was great, and really warmed my heart. Obviously someone has got in his ear and told him what is expected if he wants to keep his career alive. An improvement in that area needed to be made, and i think he showed noticable improvement today. I hope he can continue to do that for the rest of the year, but as good as it was to see him do that today, it was just one game. He has a some way to go still...

He has a future at the club, his penertrating kicking and willingness to run through the lines was good yesterday. These elements are crucial for our team to have to enable a breaking of a zone defence. Believe he can be important for us and can do more than just tag. Thought his grab in the first quarter was fantastic. He copes heaps but I am a fan.

One game changes a lot of things around here....

Yes he played well in the First Half and ok in the next.

Well done but make sure you produce something like that for the rest of the year.

Agreed. One half does not a season maketh.