Essendon V Melbourne @ Etihad

w00dy

Got my tickets this arvo. 17 games membership, tickets cost $3.60 a piece. Top level on the wing about 10 rows back. No doubt will be surrounded by Bombers, but hey, that's kind of the fun of playing away from the G, the Us against the World mentality.

I think there will be a big crowd for this one, mainly due to it being the only game on in Melbourne this weekend. Would 50,000 be a fair estimate? Maybe a few less.

Hopefully there is a good turnout from Melbourne supporters, but like a few on this thread, I have feeling it'll be a poor split. And we'll be spread all over the joint due to the ticketing too.

I know people have particular political issues with Docklands, and that's fine, that's your choice. Personally I don't care who earns what and how, I'll go to watch the Dees play anywhere anytime. Call me a sucker, whatever. But I just gotta be there.

The facilities there are fine. I don't understand the issue with this. Does anybody remember having to take a [censored] in the rain out at Princes Park in the 80's at the urinal with no shelter over the top? Docklands is hardly a dump. Expensive food?, bring some sandwiches and a bottle of Coke. Parking?, come on the train. I think people forget too soon what going to the footy in the 70's and 80's was like. Jeez, we could be playing the Bombers out at Windy Hill this weekend.

I don't like Docklands either, but it's not all that bad. When it's a good game and the crowd is up and roaring, it can be an awesome atmosphere with the roof on. Remember Daniher's last game? Sure we lost, but the crowd was wild that night.

There's nothing about Docklands that will stop me attending a Melbourne game there. Hopefully we get a good turn out this Friday night.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my tickets this arvo. 17 games membership, tickets cost $3.60 a piece. Top level on the wing about 10 rows back. No doubt will be surrounded by Bombers, but hey, that's kind of the fun of playing away from the G, the Us against the World mentality.

I think there will be a big crowd for this one, mainly due to it being the only game on in Melbourne this weekend. Would 50,000 be a fair estimate? Maybe a few less.

Hopefully there is a good turnout from Melbourne supporters, but like a few on this thread, I have feeling it'll be a poor split. And we'll be spread all over the joint due to the ticketing too.

I know people have particular political issues with Docklands, and that's fine, that's your choice. Personally I don't care who earns what and how, I'll go to watch the Dees play anywhere anytime. Call me a sucker, whatever. But I just gotta be there.

The facilities there are fine. I don't understand the issue with this. Does anybody remember having to take a [censored] in the rain out at Princes Park in the 80's at the urinal with no shelter over the top? Docklands is hardly a dump. Expensive food?, bring some sandwiches and a bottle of Coke. Parking?, come on the train. I think people forget too soon what going to the footy in the 70's and 80's was like. Jeez, we could be playing the Bombers out at Windy Hill this weekend.

I don't like Docklands either, but it's not all that bad. When it's a good game and the crowd is up and roaring, it can be an awesome atmosphere with the roof on. Remember Daniher's last game? Sure we lost, but the crowd was wild that night.

There's nothing about Docklands that will stop me attending a Melbourne game there. Hopefully we get a good turn out this Friday night.

That's my whole point my Friend- i would rather go to windy Hill & stand in the Rain. It was real. The Dome reminds me of McDonalds Food. NQR Not Quite Right!

Thanks for that mate its the same deal as always they told me that there were no tickets available in any section not even level three. I fail to see how the whole ground could be full for this match.

As far as I'm aware it's not full, but the AFL Members 'reserve' might well be exhausted - it's quite small.

its the same for the Adelaide game every year....

Is that over there?

I think even down at Geelong you need to buy a seat just like anyone else, and unlike at TD you don't get an AFL Members discount.

not good enough in my book I don't care about the regulations it is an AFL membership and seating should be better.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

I'll be surprised if we get much over 40.

That's my whole point my Friend- i would rather go to windy Hill & stand in the Rain. It was real. The Dome reminds me of McDonalds Food. NQR Not Quite Right!

Ahh, I see. Point taken. And I agree to a certain extent. But those days are over. So, it is what it is. But it sure was fun. Every week was an adventure. I do miss it sometimes. It's the reason I still like going down to Geelong, to stand in the outer like the old days.

But this is modern football. You gotta move with it. It's the Big Show now.

I hate Docklands. Worst stadium for football. Tried to get tickets on Saturday and was told the whole first level was already sold. Seriously, wtf? Gonna have to make do with the top level in the pocket. GRRRRRRRR

Its more that i do not like giving inflated wages to Faceless Shareholders inside a soulless stadium that is too small. Unless you are in the Medallion club the average supporter is poorly looked after.

As an MCC Member i don't know how much it would cost, but getting a cab or parking a car underneath would be a small fortune!

Last time i went about 2 years ago we played the Swans & it was a Crap game, & i just said "No F@#$%kin' More!!" I do not like the style of football played there. The Ground has no Wings. Its Rubbish.

As an MCC member, you can buy a level 2 seat for $30.50

Good access to the ground via Train or Tram....

Forget the wings; The biggest issue with the Dome is the Mid Strength Beer ;)

I hate Docklands. Worst stadium for football. Tried to get tickets on Saturday and was told the whole first level was already sold. Seriously, wtf? Gonna have to make do with the top level in the pocket. GRRRRRRRR

Yeah thats right its sold, but to whom I cant imagine they would fill the whole ground with supporters from both teams. I tell you where the tickets have gone its to Essendon members. All the tickets come with their membership so if they feel like going to the football they have a ticket on level one to see Essedon or however the neanderthals out there spells its these day win. So it basically says stuff the Melbourne supporters, if they want to come and watch, they have to sit on level three. You can hit me with all the superlatives imaginable about Docklands the facts remain it is not football supporter friendly. The Docklands caters for cooperates and muppet Essendon supporters who mind you would have no concept of football if it reared up and bit them on the behind.

So I put this to all of you on this post who have attempted to defend the AFL's supposed ticket allocation process. How are Essendon going to pay for the debt they incur from this game? There is no way in hell they will get 30 thousand Essendon supporters to the game. How about Melbourne supporters? will they get any? who wants to sit on level three and watch the football with a telescopic lens. We never hear that Essendon may loose money on this game ohh no way dont say anything about the mighty Bombers AFL no no no. The new conception of an national competition has basically dissolved any sense of allegiance struggling football clubs had accumulated. In a bygone era teams feared playing Melbourne at the MCG, Loathed going to Arden St to play North Melbourne and trepidation was rife when teams made the trip to the Whitten Oval to play Footscray. I can recall standing next to my father as a child at old suburban grounds the chill radiating down the back of your spine and the fire in a 44 gallon drum smoldering away in the next bay across. The most imperative thing of going to opposition grounds was not coming away with the four points, but rather making it out alive. I will never forget the anxiety of those days as a child when bombers supporters once said to me " Your not going anywhere you stay and watch the bombers win" when we went to leave at 3 quarter time. But when I fly past Victoria Park on the train on my way to the G every Saturday nostalgia is apparent and I wish we still had one of the old suburban grounds left to attend. Instead some now now attend Docklands drinking beer which tastes like fermented urine, buy food which costs an hours work and sit abreast of token supporters who support teams not for their knowledge of their team, its players or its history, but because it's colors look good, the players are " Sooo good looking" or a 30 thousand people signed their pets up as members lets do it too. Gone are the days where larikens drove people to the point of hirlaity with comments at the football yelled high pitch to the breadth of the stands and which augured well for an entertaining day at the football.

Why is this so people because we are a national competition and who cares if capitalism kills what is left of the old VFL. The main objective is putting two teams in Sydney when once cant stand on its own two feet fiscally.It is also putting another team on the Gold Coast when another took the best part of 15 years to become viable.

Why?

Worst thing about this hole is the dog security dogs making $12 hr decisions.

I'm pinching my bro in laws AFL ticket and not giving them a cent. I'll have standing room thanks and yes the beer is rude.

Ian Collins Stadium + Essendon FC Home Game + Friday night = Cold frothie at home infront of the TV. Very simple equation and answer.

I refuse to pay per seat ticketing when general admission should be available.

Note: If LJ debuts I may change my mind, but it could still take a free ticket so no money goes to the above listed enterprises!

Ian Collins Stadium + Essendon FC Home Game + Friday night = Cold frothie at home infront of the TV. Very simple equation and answer.

I refuse to pay per seat ticketing when general admission should be available.

Note: If LJ debuts I may change my mind, but it could still take a free ticket so no money goes to the above listed enterprises!

It is available.... on level 3 or you can stand on level 1.

its a [censored] nightmare.

can anyone tell me what website i go to and where to get my ticket given that im a 17 game member. im also an mcc member if that helps! might be worth forking out $30 to sit on level 2 - but i have no idea where the hell i would go to buy the tickets

You sons of [censored] that got to enjoy real footy in the 70's and 80's. I would give my nut to back to those times.

I am a little bit younger than some of you guys. I did however get to see a bit at Optus oval, and to be honest I didnt mind it. As you said 'WYLD' it was real.

Thats why i find myself more and more going to the VFL. Real grounds, real conditions, have a kick on the ground during and after, and of course, $4.00 cans!!

Now thats footy!

You sons of [censored] that got to enjoy real footy in the 70's and 80's. I would give my nut to back to those times.

I am a little bit younger than some of you guys. I did however get to see a bit at Optus oval, and to be honest I didnt mind it. As you said 'WYLD' it was real.

Thats why i find myself more and more going to the VFL. Real grounds, real conditions, have a kick on the ground during and after, and of course, $4.00 cans!!

Now thats footy!

You got it mate-That's what it was like. Some of the cpmments you would hear in the crowd were just priceless. Now every single one of those grounds is gone.

Dam shame it is. I do & have always loved the "G though.

can anyone tell me what website i go to and where to get my ticket

given that im a 17 game member. im also an mcc member if that helps! might be worth forking out $30 to sit on level 2 - but i have no idea where the hell i would go to buy the tickets

I imagine it'd be the same site as everyone else - Ticketek.

If there's a discount available choose the relevant option and have your card handy so you can enter the barcode #.

Alternatively, you can rock up on the night and get a ticket 'at the door'.

The cost'll be free for level 3 (a booking fee will be charged if you reserve seats).

Now thats footy!

I reckon it's mythologised a bit.

Some guy mentioned the physical intimidation factor, but I'm not sure the terrible facilities and lack of seating at many grounds has been mentioned.

Sure, today's not perfect, but lets not get carried away.

I have a seat on the inside of Etihad, I just need to purchase a general admission ticket to gain entry to the ground. However I was told today that there will be no tickets available to purchase at the ground on the night, that I must pre-purchase through Ticketmaster, which is what I've now done.

There were no available tickets in AccessOne, so I've ended up with a Level 3-where-in-the-hell-is-that ticket, reserved for moi and I won't be sitting there, because I have a seat elsewhere.

Yes. it was $22.60 + a $5.50 handling charge.

But I'd watch the game live anywhere.

C'arn the Dees!

Giddy up, taken the day off work, all psyched for Jurrah's debut.

I'm dragging along an old uni mate who supports the dons to his first game of the season.

Only thing is: this is the first ever match that I'll attend at Etihad.

Is there a decent bar there?

Should I go somewhere for a drink beforehand instead?

Anywhere decent post-match..?

&

Where is a good spot to sit?

I have an MCC/MFC membership so its not like the 17 game membership, don't think I can sort out a cheap $4 ticket on level 3.

just a little advice here would be appreciated...

cheers guys

That is just sad. Do we lump you in with the other MFC supporters who only rock up to the G?

&

NO.

Yes you should drink beforehand and do not under any circumstances drive, expecting to park anywhere near the ground for under $20.

NO. Docklands has no pulse. Luckily the CBD is a short walk.

Level 2 is the best. Front 2-3 rows of level 3 is also great although I believe they are considered premium seats these days.

QUESTION: Now that I have found out that Jurrah is playing, I think iam gonan go.

Can i just rock up on the night after work with my 17 gamer?? I know I wont get a seat, but can I get standing room at least without pre purchasing?

Yea pretty sure you can just rock up and do the standing room bit, I prefer to do that at Docklands as they have TV's in front of you on level one so you can watch the replays as well whislt standing.

Giddy up, taken the day off work, all psyched for Jurrah's debut.

I'm dragging along an old uni mate who supports the dons to his first game of the season.

&

I have an MCC/MFC membership so its not like the 17 game membership, don't think I can sort out a cheap $4 ticket on level 3.

just a little advice here would be appreciated...

cheers guys

Is there a decent bar there? They have a couple of bars just to the left of gate 1 (as in the stadium itself), think it is gate 2. You go up the escalators and there is a bar that looks over the ground or you have the Cougar bar at the ground as well.

Should I go somewhere for a drink beforehand instead? The Nixon Bar!!!!! Mate took me to the Saints vs North game, we meet some of our younger mates at the Nixon Bar and let me just say the bar staff (ladies) were very happy with the boys and we paid for about 3 drinks between 7 of us over 5 hours of drinking plus some free food thrown in! If you wander past gate 1, on your left is a set of stairs that head down away from Docklands across the intersection on the diagonal is the bar, it is on the corner but doesn't really look like a bar from up on top.

Anywhere decent post-match..? NIXON BAR!

&

Where is a good spot to sit? I actually really like the Dome, you can sit virtually anywhere and have a good view. If you have the MCC membership I think you will get a seat but again will have to reserve it. Otherwise you can stand anywhere on level 1 just slot yourself in front of one of the bars on the wing and in front of one of the TV's knuckles!!!!

i'm meeting at the ground at 6 and gonna get seats together then. we're panning on getting a meal between then and the game. any ideas where a good feed is near by?

To be honest deano I don't eat when I go to the footy.... fluids only but the Nixon from what I recall does have some nice nachos.

Here is the website with menu and location. It is diagonally opposite Gate 3 of Etihad Stadium and to the North directly opposite Quest Serviced apartments, Devine apartments, Bendigo Bank, Channel 7 and Vic Urban Headquarters.

Nixon Hotel

That is just sad. Do we lump you in with the other MFC supporters who only rock up to the G?

NO.

Yes you should drink beforehand and do not under any circumstances drive, expecting to park anywhere near the ground for under $20.

NO. Docklands has no pulse. Luckily the CBD is a short walk.

Level 2 is the best. Front 2-3 rows of level 3 is also great although I believe they are considered premium seats these days.

Should we lump you in with the MFC supporters that would rather have a go at other MFC fans rather than stick together?

The Docklands is a [censored] venue, with no heart, limited atmosphere, consumer driver capitalistic based, most non-traditional crap hole you will find - yet for some reason I'm going along to the same ground I said two years ago I'd never go to again, which then became I'd only go to Melbourne home games.

What a crap ground though. Decent place to drink...drink at you local then travel in, there's no place to drink in Corporate Dome because it is just that, corporate driven with no lifeblood, no heart, no substance and no thoughts towards the fans.

ffs! i hate essendon. i hate the dome. i hate ticketmaster.

not only do i have to buy a ticket even tho i'm a 17 game member, i have to pay $5.50 for a handling charge when ticketmaster didn't even handle anything, and then, when i print out my ticket, it isn't even for the seat i selected anyway!!!!