• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Move over Richmond, Dees in the firing line.

barpen

I base my opinion on a number of aspects....

I think the Saints made the same analysis about Tim Watson!

1. Watson has a passion and wants to coach. He has put his hand up for 1999.

2. He has always commanded respect among his peers and younger guys.

3. He has obvious footy smarts.

4. (And perhaps the most important) the kudos, marketing currency, a general exposure he would bring to the SKFC would be priceless.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, I will say it one last time. Yes, we are in a re-building phase, yes, I do want high draft picks, but I do not see those 2 factors as being the panacea for our club. I am not prepared to accept that things will just happen because we have had the better end of the draft for the last 3 years. I want to see some resolve and steel back in the footy club, which I personally have not seen since G Lyon was there.

I think Ratten's done the same thing for Carlton. But that was after a year of tanking.

The reality is that although we're showing some signs of improvement we continue to disappoint in the big games. Whenever we play a game on the big stage we look terrible and appear to give up without a whimper e.g QB & Friday night games.

Our rate of progress is also painfully slow!

I believe the article is spot-on - we've largely escaped scrutiny because it's been on others .. no matter how you spin it, our progress is very, very slow - our game plan going into the forward line is appalling

Presently I'm not overly fussed about winning for obvious reasons and in the main we've been far more competitive this year, but the fact remains we are woeful. I'm not sure that we should be as bad as we are and I believe that it's quite resasonable to be asking questions of Bailey.

Half the team that ran out a week ago against Collingwood played in our last final (semi final 2006 versus Freo) :

McLean, Green, McDonald, Bell, Davey, Robertson, Bruce, Rivers, Sylvia, Jones, and Bate. Add Miller who's played every other game this year and it's staggering that we're as bad as we are. Yet we want to constantly blame our youthfulness. It's too easy to use age as a constant cop-out. We should be better than we are.

That said, if you put 2 genuine stars in our current team things would be different. I don't reckon that supporters fully appreciate the impact of a bona fide star. We desperately need a couple. Tragically, we haven't had one in the AFL era.

I think the Saints made the same analysis about Tim Watson!

1. Watson has a passion and wants to coach. He has put his hand up for 1999.

2. He has always commanded respect among his peers and younger guys.

3. He has obvious footy smarts.

4. (And perhaps the most important) the kudos, marketing currency, a general exposure he would bring to the SKFC would be priceless.

Let's compare apples with apples shall we? Tim Watson was a great footballer, but did not hold the same command of respect of his peers, as does Buckley. Perhaps that is why he does so much better as a "clown" on the media now. See his performance on the Channel 7 footy show last Sunday as an example. Also, St.Kilda footy club? Say no more. A history of having its finger on the self-destruct button for more than a generation.

All I say is this, if all you want to do is be "patient" and you think draft picks are going to fix our problems, then I am afraid we may very well be looking at a grim future indeed, especially in what will become an even more competitive business.

Mediocrity should no longer be tolerated.

That said, if you put 2 genuine stars in our current team things would be different. I don't reckon that supporters fully appreciate the impact of a bona fide star. We desperately need a couple. Tragically, we haven't had one in the AFL era.

Agree, we need a blue chip star. Or 2.

What forward line?

You really must be getting sick of that dead horse Clint ;):P !!!

As for the article it's not wrong its just not quite right either. We aren't and shouldn't be without criticism, I mean look at where we are and have been for quite some time now........

But the reality is never as simple as the stats Sheahan has thrown up. Rebuilds, done properly and with any faint hope of success on the end of them, shouldn't be done quickly or they will not work, and rebuilding is exactly what we are and what we have been doing. You can blame youth for the pathetic performance on QB (kids do need time and games to develop despite the sudden apparent rush) or not, depends on your perspective, but the unfortunate truth is that our seniors are not exactly setting the world on fire either.

The difference between Melbourne and Richmond as I see it is that we have gotten better (for the most part), but it is still slow and that is the unfortunate reality of our current situation.

Let's compare apples with apples shall we? Tim Watson was a great footballer, but did not hold the same command of respect of his peers, as does Buckley. Perhaps that is why he does so much better as a "clown" on the media now. See his performance on the Channel 7 footy show last Sunday as an example. Also, St.Kilda footy club? Say no more. A history of having its finger on the self-destruct button for more than a generation.

Mediocrity should no longer be tolerated.

I agree. Let compare apples with apples. In 1999, Tim Watson did indeed command the respect of his peers. I am not going to mince words with who was better over their careers but both were revered had stellar playing careers where both made their Clubs team of the century. However neither had any coaching experience in the AFL when they were highly touted for their first AFL coaching jobs. "A history of having its finger on the self destruct6 button for more than a generation" ...St Kilda?? Easily be Melbourne.

Nice cliche to finish with too. B)

I agree. Let compare apples with apples. In 1999, Tim Watson did indeed command the respect of his peers. I am not going to mince words with who was better over their careers but both were revered had stellar playing careers where both made their Clubs team of the century. However neither had any coaching experience in the AFL when they were highly touted for their first AFL coaching jobs. "A history of having its finger on the self destruct6 button for more than a generation" ...St Kilda?? Easily be Melbourne.

Nice cliche to finish with too. B)

I think over the last 20 years, our record is far more admirable than St. Kilda. However, we have had a tendency to have an itchy finger, close to the very same button and that is precisely the point. It is time to stop. NO MORE.

I would seem that some believe Mike Sheahan only wrote the article simply to fill column centimetres. But perhaps there was just some "method" in his "madness". Apologies for yet another cliche.

I think over the last 20 years, our record is far more admirable than St. Kilda. However, we have had a tendency to have an itchy finger, close to the very same button and that is precisely the point. It is time to stop. NO MORE.

You would be really splitting hairs on that one! Damn it doing it myself.

I would seem that some believe Mike Sheahan only wrote the article simply to fill column centimetres. But perhaps there was just some "method" in his "madness". Apologies for yet another cliche.

If you pushing this based on one game and one article then there is something about babies and bathwater that may apply!

I think he did. Sheahan brought nothing new to the table with his article, just pointed out the glaringly obvious as if it were a revelation.

We are crap. We need a better midfield. We won't progress up the ladder until we get one.

Not exactly insightful.

I have no problem with what Sheahan Said. I expected a more competitive effort on QB. Sylvia was the only one who was mentally ready-That worries me.

As collingwood played some young kids aswell-They were ready.

His job on match day is to get them mentally ready. To have lost the Game 10 mins into the first Q was not good.

Like it or not, The AFL would have been very unimpressed, & if we don't get a QB fixture next year i would not be suprised. Stynesy & Schwabb are going to have to seel the club well at years end.

Last Monday there were also a lot of senior players in the side who did nothing...why? The ongoing 45 year old question.

Look at what Voss is doing with Brissy...no more excuses melbourne. just DO

I have no problem with what Sheahan Said. I expected a more competitive effort on QB. Sylvia was the only one who was mentally ready-That worries me.

As collingwood played some young kids aswell-They were ready.

His job on match day is to get them mentally ready. To have lost the Game 10 mins into the first Q was not good.

Like it or not, The AFL would have been very unimpressed, & if we don't get a QB fixture next year i would not be suprised. Stynesy & Schwabb are going to have to seel the club well at years end.

Last Monday there were also a lot of senior players in the side who did nothing...why? The ongoing 45 year old question.

Look at what Voss is doing with Brissy...no more excuses melbourne. just DO

Collingwood had a core of senior players that are admirable and capable foot soldiers that provide strength and leadership to the team. They are hard and honest.

Its a long bow raising the AFL taking away our QBW on one bad performance. We only get the game at behest of Eddie (Thanks for that).

However, you are right it was a disappointing performance nevertheless and has not been a true indication of the way we have played all season. So a bit of perspective. But your issue about senior players is a good one. None of Junior, Wheels or Robbo did much at all. Our senior players are making up numbers too often and not contributing when it counts. They have been great campaigners for us over a number of years. But their respective retirements are due at the end of this year.

And Brisbane, six members of their great premiership side still there. Who in our side matches a Brown, Black and Power?? They are nowhere near the position we were in.

Collingwood had a core of senior players that are admirable and capable foot soldiers that provide strength and leadership to the team. They are hard and honest.

Its a long bow raising the AFL taking away our QBW on one bad performance. We only get the game at behest of Eddie (Thanks for that).

However, you are right it was a disappointing performance nevertheless and has not been a true indication of the way we have played all season. So a bit of perspective. But your issue about senior players is a good one. None of Junior, Wheels or Robbo did much at all. Our senior players are making up numbers too often and not contributing when it counts. They have been great campaigners for us over a number of years. But their respective retirements are due at the end of this year.

And Brisbane, six members of their great premiership side still there. Who in our side matches a Brown, Black and Power?? They are nowhere near the position we were in.

Fair Points Rhino but i still believe the MFC is being soft when it really counts. For Many people QB was the first time we had been seen this year & a lot of those would have turned off by Half time. So ch 10 would not have been pleased either. The QB telecast is worth a lot of money for the Broadcaster so a blow out was the nightmare the MFC did not want.

I am not blaming the young guys for that performance But our senior 10 year players need a trip to the "Hall of Mirrors" to have a good hard look at themselves, because a lot of the previous Months work has been obliterated on the QB performance sadly.

I mentioned Brissy as some of their new kids are looking Hungry already, That is where our kids need to be.

There can be no excuse otherwise we may as well not bother.

Am I getting it right... contemplating Buckley and getting rid of Bailey right in the middle of a "long term "rebuilding. How could we demand loyalty from our players !!

Remember that Brisbane won their first Grand Final via the difference between Voss and Buckley in the last quarter. Buckley was running around the edges waiting for the ball to come to him so he could make a hero of himself and Voss was in the middle of the packs making sure it did not get out. Who won ?? I feel Buckley is too self oriented to coach first up !! (even though he is pretending to coach every game on Channel 7 (Home of delayed telecasts).

Give Dean B and his mob a fair dinkum go and dont hang him on the teams one woeful performance on Monday Week ago. I think we expected (hoped )we would mangle Eddiewoods, but we didnt so lets forget about scapegoating people.

Anyway : What's got 100 legs and 4 teeth ..................................... Front row of Collingwood Cheer Squad

Fair Points Rhino but i still believe the MFC is being soft when it really counts. For Many people QB was the first time we had been seen this year & a lot of those would have turned off by Half time. So ch 10 would not have been pleased either. The QB telecast is worth a lot of money for the Broadcaster so a blow out was the nightmare the MFC did not want.

I love QB, I have no shame in admitting it's my GF in bad years.

But 00, 01, 02, 03, (05 to an extent), 06 and 09 have all been blow outs. Only one QB has been decided by less than 10 points (9).

That leaves 99, 04, 05, 07 and 08 as reasonably close games.

5 closish games 7 blow outs.

I am not blaming the young guys for that performance But our senior 10 year players need a trip to the "Hall of Mirrors" to have a good hard look at themselves, because a lot of the previous Months work has been obliterated on the QB performance sadly.

I mentioned Brissy as some of their new kids are looking Hungry already, That is where our kids need to be.

There is no argument that Saturdays performance was not good.And it was the wrong game to have a bad one. It was not good on a number of factors. The performance of the senior players was just one of the issues. There were indeed others.

As for the TV rights why do TV stations want to have Collingwood on? Number of Collingwood supporters who watch them. Would Collingwood supporters turn off when their side has a big win? I doubt it. Was the game scheduled in peak viewing time? No. Mid afternoon on a public holiday. It was not a great result of a game but it would not have been a ratings disaster.

I wonder if you were waxing about Brisbane after their game at Geelong earlier this year. Be careful with the Lions. Brisbane has alot of good time charlies who look good when they are up and look really awful and disappear when the pressure is on. They deserve credit for their game against Hawthorn.

There is no argument that Saturdays performance was not good.And it was the wrong game to have a bad one. It was not good on a number of factors. The performance of the senior players was just one of the issues. There were indeed others.

As for the TV rights why do TV stations want to have Collingwood on? Number of Collingwood supporters who watch them. Would Collingwood supporters turn off when their side has a big win? I doubt it. Was the game scheduled in peak viewing time? No. Mid afternoon on a public holiday. It was not a great result of a game but it would not have been a ratings disaster.

I wonder if you were waxing about Brisbane after their game at Geelong earlier this year. Be careful with the Lions. Brisbane has alot of good time charlies who look good when they are up and look really awful and disappear when the pressure is on. They deserve credit for their game against Hawthorn.

Once again i do not disagree except to say a lot of non Collingwood-melbourne supporters would have also watched the game, as it was the only game on that day.

Most of these people would have got very bored very quickly. No one likes seeing Collingwood Prevail unless you follow them. Thus a lot of advertising revenue was wasted after the First Q.

TV stations do take that stuff very seriously as i worked in the area back in the eighties at ch 9

Next year Ch 10 may balk at showing the MFC on QB. They want close games. Simple. Blowouts are bad news.

Brisbanes young kids will get finals experience this year, ours won't.

The Lions might give the flag a shake next year-again. I rate voss, its only early but he has got it. I hope DB does too

And some of the most skilled players you'll ever see... Didak, Davis and for the day the member (Dick) was alluring too..

For Many people QB was the first time we had been seen this year & a lot of those would have turned off by Half time. So ch 10 would not have been pleased either. The QB telecast is worth a lot of money for the Broadcaster so a blow out was the nightmare the MFC did not want.

We'll be on TV on Friday night too, so I hope that Bailey's got them battle-hardened and fired up for a much better start than any of the soft starts so far. Otherwise, if in front of a national audience we disgrace ourselves a second time in a row, the damage to the club and to Bailey and to some of our players will be considerable.

Not to mention us damaged supporters...