Casey Scorpions v Geelong

KC from Casey

Did anyone else think Caseys forward line today was better than Melbournes last night?

Todays line up

Jetta Robbo Jurrah

Watts Newton Hughes

I was thinking that as well.

If anyone is disappointed about Jack Watts lack of goals, i wouldn't be too concerned. As it has already been pointed out, Casey had a stacked forward line today, and Watts was not a main target in it. On one hand that is a little disappointing, but on the other shows that he will be a player who can probably play all over the ground like a Pavlich or Hird. Peter German was not going to get Juice or Robbo playing too far up the ground was he?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Freak. Can you confirm where Petterd played?

well he seemed to be playing everywhere to be honest. he definitely played half back but also in the middle. I don't think he played much in the forward line at all. he might have rested there, but most of his touches were in the half back line/middle

I'm sorry, but there is a distinctive difference between a good VFL player and a good AFL player. If a player plays well in the VFL, it doesn't automatically mean he should be playing AFL, in reference to Newton. Some players thrive on the bigger stage, whereas some thrive in the VFL. Him playing better than players who would normally be in out top 22 is hardly a good indication.

I was thinking that as well.

If anyone is disappointed about Jack Watts lack of goals, i wouldn't be too concerned. As it has already been pointed out, Casey had a stacked forward line today, and Watts was not a main target in it. On one hand that is a little disappointing, but on the other shows that he will be a player who can probably play all over the ground like a Pavlich or Hird. Peter German was not going to get Juice or Robbo playing too far up the ground was he?

Yep he was never going to kick many today. I didn't see Watts as a deep forward once, he worked up and down the outer wing most of the day. I love the way he finds so much space and always seems calm and collected, makes excellent decisions. I dont know who I'd compare him to?? Maybe and taller and better version of Cam Bruce..

Good point Jerry. I get the feeling Watts will be a very complete player in the sense that he will be able to play any position - thus being able to influence games by getting the ball himself and inspiring by action and leadership. Look at Franklin, he can play multiple positions and is also able to break the game open from anywhere with his atheleticism and freakish abilities. I get the feeling Watts is just playing his role down at Casey and by all reports doing his role really well.

Watts fans relax saw the game from qtr time on he played all day on the wing did plenty without impressing as we all hoped but he did get lots of it and when he did looked all class from what i saw i feel he will play in about 3 more weeks, steady as it goes he was taken of in last 10 mins and i walked out with him this guy loves his footy and was all smiles and clearly enjoyed the crowd when he was walking the boundary during a break on the bench, the powers to be are managing this kid very well and wont throw him in until ready still a very lean type who may struggle at CHF now

Robbo was just that same old same old did notice he tried hard to work on his defence, got rattled with some close attention and stated to let the ump no it but his attitude improved once the goals came his way and got some good cheers from the crowd overheard him talking to the forward coach at 3qtr time about players from casey taking his run to space (melb listed players)

Liam this guy looks ready for acall up soon has improved all over espec his defensive side, great leap and turn of foot in first 5 mts looks fantastic another crowd fav

jetta only his finishing skills needed to be improved did lots of good things very busy player has all the right moves to suceed

newton did plenty right chased tackled linked up well and passed of i feel he will get his call soon, missed an easy goal from 20 out in last q wont hang him for that with the strong cross breeze

petterd cheney and valenti were in everything all day, all 3 could walk straight back in if and when required

mckenzie looked quiet but may have had a tag role

jake spencer didnt see him but was told he played 1st q only maybe injured

clint bartram didnt see alot but to be fair i mainly stayed in scorps forward half he did get a few touches

dunn worked hard in the middle and forward usual self i prefer him as a forward but was in nearly all stopages i feel bails is going to keep grooming him as a run with player

conditions were not flash with the cold cross wind but good to see all the boys trying hard all trying to win a senior selection

Oh my god I just remembered this! What about that Geelong fan behind the goals that didn't shut up all game LOL

i was gunna go down ther with my jack russel and get him to shut the **** up so annoying wasnt he

Oh my god I just remembered this! What about that Geelong fan behind the goals that didn't shut up all game LOL

haha i know. he was keen as. Only in footy jumper and shorts when it felt like -2 out there.

After every goal chanting geelong followed by whoever kicked the goal. even with the last couple they kicked the game was well and truly over!!!!

Scariest thing was he parked next to us!! how he got a driver licence is scary!!

i was gunna go down ther with my jack russel and get him to shut the **** up so annoying wasnt he

I'm pretty sure there's a few Gold Coast-based Saints fans saying the same about me today. They're just way too easy to bait.

Thanks mate, gave me a good laugh.

I presume that's what you were trying to do.

lol yes and no. He is so much better than miller it isnt funny. Not to mention Bate. Every now and again a player comes around and for some reason he is criticised for absolutely no reason. He works harder off the ball than any of our forwards, he is the best marker of the footy on our list and is just in a bad time in terms of kicking conversion.

People want watts to debut, but i cant see it happening when Newton is playing the way we want watts too. Absolutely ripping it up for the past month

It became very annoying! Made me laugh tho.. A middle age man In his Geelong jumper shorts and socks chanting by himself GEELONG clap clap clap Lol

haha i know. he was keen as. Only in footy jumper and shorts when it felt like -2 out there.

After every goal chanting geelong followed by whoever kicked the goal. even with the last couple they kicked the game was well and truly over!!!!

Scariest thing was he parked next to us!! how he got a driver licence is scary!!

For such a keen fan why wasnt he at the Geelong game? Lol

I must have been at the wrong game. Watts had 20 possessions playing on a wing. He moves superbly, has great disposal, and makes really good decisions. I left the ground happy that we have a future star on our hands. He couldn't do much more considering the position he's being made to play.

I then come on here and read [censored] supporters complaining about his progress. Geez I hate Melbourne supporters.

Dumb farks.

H I think you'll find that the comments on Watts are based on KC's comments which were made at 2.19PM but the response, although misplaced, demonstrates the completely unrealistic expectation being placed on him.

I thought Watts was good today without playing a dominant role. He has all the attributes which you've outlined. Interestingly he continues to be played on the wing which is disappointing given our team is screaming out for a forward.

H I think you'll find that the comments on Watts are based on KC's comments which were made at 2.19PM but the response, although misplaced, demonstrates the completely unrealistic expectation being placed on him.

I thought Watts was good today without playing a dominant role. He has all the attributes which you've outlined. Interestingly he continues to be played on the wing which is disappointing given our team is screaming out for a forward.

I would have thought that he's been played further up the ground to work on his weaknesses, nothing wrong with that.

I would have thought that he's been played further up the ground to work on his weaknesses, nothing wrong with that.

My thinking is that maybe they are keeping him away from bone crunching marking contests against gorilla full backs. Playing him up the ground gets him to get his hands on the footy and improves his running capacity while he strengthens up.

My thinking is that maybe they are keeping him away from bone crunching marking contests against gorilla full backs. Playing him up the ground gets him to get his hands on the footy and improves his running capacity while he strengthens up.

This is what I was meaning

Thanks for pointing this out Fan. My post about Jack was made during the first quarter and, in the end, Jack finished with 21 or 22 touches for the day and in the top half dozen at Casey for disposals. Clint Bartram, whose game many have also described as "quiet", was just behind him. Watts finished up playing a servicable game and is not that far off getting a game at AFL level. He's perhaps a month away.

Every now and again a player comes around and for some reason he is criticised for absolutely no reason. He works harder off the ball than any of our forwards, he is the best marker of the footy on our list and is just in a bad time in terms of kicking conversion.

People want watts to debut, but i cant see it happening when Newton is playing the way we want watts too. Absolutely ripping it up for the past month

Casey Scorpions Valenti Wall Cheney Dunn Watts Faulks

Watts and Cheney in the best. Good stuff.

Just got back, thought Jack did ok. Good skills looks like he has plenty of time...

Cheney was also very good. Very solid.

Jurrah looks like he could be anything. some very clever taps and chase downs. Kicked a couple late when the game was over.

Hughes took a couple of really good marks going back with the flight. kicked straight and gave of a few. Best team player in the forward line!!!!!

Newton, took some good grabs and worked harder than i have seen him. good pressure caused a few turnovers.

Good news on Jurrah and Hughes. It's great that players are really stepping up at Casey and putting pressure on for senior selection.

Strauss - had 32 touches and 9 marks. Despite having one kick-in clanger (that gave the opposition a goal) his disposals were good. he also kicked a nice running goal from 45m.

Petterd- 27 touches

Cheney- 32 touches

Watts 22 touches

Jurrah- 14 touches 3 goals

Robbo- 3 goals 6 behinds

Newton- 18 touches. Cant remember how much he kicked. But he is easily in our best 22...and its basically tanking that he isnt in our team

From all reports it sounds as though Newton has worked out that while our forwardline is an absolute shambles, he has a chance of getting a game. Will be an interesting week at selection for him and Robbo.

Good news on Strauss too. I'm keen to see this kid play.

Watts fans relax saw the game from qtr time on he played all day on the wing did plenty without impressing as we all hoped but he did get lots of it and when he did looked all class from what i saw i feel he will play in about 3 more weeks.

Robbo was just that same old same old did notice he tried hard to work on his defence.

Liam this guy looks ready for acall up soon has improved all over espec his defensive side, great leap and turn of foot in first 5 mts looks fantastic another crowd fav

newton did plenty right chased tackled linked up well and passed of i feel he will get his call soon,

You reckon Watts is only about 3 weeks away? That'd be something. I was expecting him to debut far later in the season.

Great work KC, Peter, Freak and tez. Sounds like it was a very postive day for the club out at Casey. Loved the feedback on Watts especially. Looking forward to seeing the guys go around on the ABC next Saturday.

H... I thought Watts was good today without playing a dominant role. He has all the attributes which you've outlined.

Good to hear. Fan, do you (or Hannabal, or anyone else who was there) agree with the earlier statements in this thread saying that Jurrah could be be anything at AFL level based on todays game? If he continues his form from today, would he be a chance to play this year?

I must have been at the wrong game. Watts had 20 possessions playing on a wing. He moves superbly, has great disposal, and makes really good decisions. I left the ground happy that we have a future star on our hands. He couldn't do much more considering the position he's being made to play.

I then come on here and read knob supporters complaining about his progress. Geez I hate Melbourne supporters.

Dumb farks.

gold.