Delistings

Strawbsodwyer

I was having a look through our list and I was surprised how difficult it was to find people that we may delist at the end of the year. Although these people might prove me wrong I think the following might be on their last legs with the d's

Bell

Buckley

Whelan

If we are able to snare butcher in the draft then Newton would be a very good chance to go as well.

If it does pan out as muted above, I would really hope that we keep Whelan around the club. He has been fantastic for the young guys espically the aboriginal players, he would be great as a development coach.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people don't like having these discussions mid season, but personally, list management is my favourite topic.

I agree that this year's delistings are going to be tough. Apparently Dunn and Bell are contracted as well -- these two would've been first cabs off the rank IMO. Pretty sure Newton also got two years at the end of last season, much to the bemusement of many.

I don't think we'd want to have any less than 6 draft picks in this year's draft, but how do we come up with 6 spaces?

- Junior (retire)

- Whelan (delist)

- Wheatley? (delist)

- McNamara (delist)

Additionally, we need to find a spot on the list for Spencer IMO, so that takes the number we need to clear off up to 7.

Would there be any takers for 'freebie' trade in the 100s for Bell or Dunn? I don't know that too many clubs would be all that interested, but I think we'd need to give it a shot.

At the moment I would think Buckley would be in the gun. At his stage of development I'd prefer to keep him, but I think we may not have any choice other than delisting him. It's a pity to delist one of our only line breakers, but space are at a premium now and we need to get rid of someone. Can we delist and then rookie him? Also, what happens if McNamara comes in over the next few weeks and plays well? What if Junior decides to go on?

Wheatley would also be stiff to be delisted, but again I think we're out of options.

I reckon list management is going to be tough at the end of this season.

Could list space be achieved at the trade table?

Maybe a premiership contender would consider topping up with Sylvia or Bruce? Best we could hope for would be 3rd round picks but maybe we could package them with a pick to obtain higher picks?

Buckley won't go.

He has elite speed, can break a game open and despite popular opinion is a lovely long kick of the ball.

His action is quite nice but his ability to actually hit his intended target leaves a lot to be desired.

Buckley won't go.

He has elite speed, can break a game open and despite popular opinion is a lovely long kick of the ball.

He's fast, has never broken a game open and often kicks long in a hurry to the opposition.

Despite this I doubt he'd be cut.

Agreed, and the only way we'll get around it, is to pay out a couple of contracts... we can't keep all of Dunn, Buckley, Bell, Newton, Meesen, PJ and Jamar. At least one of those will need to go regardless of contract situation (unless we somehow get a trade for them)

I think Jamar and Wheatly will go.

Both offer us very little.... why would they play Jamar going forward when his minutes could be used to develop Meesen or Spencer?

Same for wheatly really, any other club and hed probably have 2 years left in him but in a rebuilding club like ours he is just eating up minutes that Macnamarra or Grimes or Cheney could be using.

Same could be said for Whelan although i believe he adds more in the leadership department than wheatly or Jamar and will probably be kept on.

So gone = Wheatly, Jamar, then possibilities include Junior retiring, Bartram and Dunn i see as players going no where, not sure of their contact situation but they should go, same goes for Newton really.

I cant see anyone else being delisted. Per haps in a weak draft we may only use 4 or 5 picks.

I would be dissapointed if Bell went. Maybe trades might be a way to make rume...

A lot of people don't like having these discussions mid season, but personally, list management is my favourite topic.

I agree that this year's delistings are going to be tough. Apparently Dunn and Bell are contracted as well -- these two would've been first cabs off the rank IMO. Pretty sure Newton also got two years at the end of last season, much to the bemusement of many.

I don't think we'd want to have any less than 6 draft picks in this year's draft, but how do we come up with 6 spaces?

- Junior (retire)

- Whelan (delist)

- Wheatley? (delist)

- McNamara (delist)

Additionally, we need to find a spot on the list for Spencer IMO, so that takes the number we need to clear off up to 7.

Would there be any takers for 'freebie' trade in the 100s for Bell or Dunn? I don't know that too many clubs would be all that interested, but I think we'd need to give it a shot.

At the moment I would think Buckley would be in the gun. At his stage of development I'd prefer to keep him, but I think we may not have any choice other than delisting him. It's a pity to delist one of our only line breakers, but space are at a premium now and we need to get rid of someone. Can we delist and then rookie him? Also, what happens if McNamara comes in over the next few weeks and plays well? What if Junior decides to go on?

Wheatley would also be stiff to be delisted, but again I think we're out of options.

Bell and Dunn would be in the gun before Buckley. Both are serviceable but seem to have major flaws. Bell no awareness and Dunn jack of all trade master of none.

I would put Bell on the list before Buckley.

Wheatley is a no brainer to get rid of.

- Junior (retire)

- Whelan (delist)

- Wheatley? (delist)

- McNamara (delist)

With the general consensus being that this years draft is going to be very thin seeing as Gold Coast are getting the 17 year olds I wouldn't be suprised if Melbourne only use the minimum 3 picks in the national draft. So we'd need to clear 5 spots in my opinion. 3 for drafting and 2 to elevate Spencer and Valentti. The people I'd expect to be shown the door would be:

Whelan (enforced retirement)

Jamar (delist)

Bell (delist - I was under the impression he was out of contract at seasons end)

Dunn (trade with pick 18 for higher pick, eg 16. Bulldogs may be interested in someone like Dunn.)

Sylvia (trade with pick obtained for Dunn for higher pick eg 12. Collingwood may be interested in someone like Sylvia)

This could see us with draft picks 1, 2 and 12 for example where we can obtain 3 really good players in what will be a thin draft to go with the bunch of exciting kids we already have.

I don't think Bartram will go......he doesn't have great skills but he plays a role for the team and is ferocious at the ball.......i think he is one of those players that coaches value alot more than the general public.

Assuming contracted players will remain as we don't have the funds to pay them out and assuming that we will intend to draft 6 players then my list is:

1. Dunn

2. Bell

3. Junior (retire)

4. Meesen

5. Wheatley

6. Whelan

I hate putting Whelan in as I still think he has something to offer but tough decisions will need to be made for the future of the club.

With the general consensus being that this years draft is going to be very thin seeing as Gold Coast are getting the 17 year olds I wouldn't be suprised if Melbourne only use the minimum 3 picks in the national draft. So we'd need to clear 5 spots in my opinion. 3 for drafting and 2 to elevate Spencer and Valentti. The people I'd expect to be shown the door would be:

Jamar (delist)

Bell (delist - I was under the impression he was out of contract at seasons end)

Dunn (trade with pick 18 for higher pick, eg 16. Bulldogs may be interested in someone like Dunn.)

Sylvia (trade with pick obtained for Dunn for higher pick eg 12. Collingwood may be interested in someone like Sylvia)

This could see us with draft picks 1, 2 and 12 for example where we can obtain 3 really good players in what will be a thin draft to go with the bunch of exciting kids we already have.

You would be naive to write off the draft as thin at this point. Its easy to be brainwashed by the so called "general consensus" parroting each other without all the facts.

I cant see a team discounting a first round pick for either Sylvia or Dunn.

Assuming contracted players will remain as we don't have the funds to pay them out and assuming that we will intend to draft 6 players then my list is:

1. Dunn

2. Bell

3. Junior (retire)

4. Meesen

5. Wheatley

6. Whelan

I hate putting Whelan in as I still think he has something to offer but tough decisions will need to be made for the future of the club.

I have only recently been advised from a reliable source that Bell and Dunn are contracted for 2010. I further understand that Meesen is also contracted for 2010 :(

You would be naive to write off the draft as thin at this point. Its easy to be brainwashed by the so called "general consensus" parroting each other without all the facts.

Don't get me wrong RR I agree with you that neither Sylvia or Dunn would be worth a first round pick on their own. That's why you'd put them in a package, for example with pick 18. Makes it a more realistic trade that way.

I have only recently been advised from a reliable source that Bell and Dunn are contracted for 2010. I further understand that Meesen is also contracted for 2010 :(

Oh what a shame! Then we may have a problem. Thanks for the update Rhino.

Ignoring contracts, you would say that the following players would not be on our list next year:

Dunn

Newton

Bell

Whelan

Wheatley

McDonald

Possibly one of Jamar/PJ

Now, McDonald will retire, Whelan might also retire (if he doesn't he'll be delisted) and Wheatley will probably be delisted. You have to think that one of Dunn, Newton or Bell will be paid out, because we just cannot afford to keep these list cloggers as we begin our ascent up the ladder. Next year is so vitally important to this club, and we cannot risk taking in those who are just bit-players. So at least one of Dunn, Newton or Bell must go.

This of course says nothing about McNamara, who we may think isn't good enough to hold his spot after he gets a game this year (I don't think this will be the case, but I'm thinking of Weetra here, who got 2 games last year, which was enough for all to see that he wasn't going to hang around), nor Buckley, who I think the club will persist with.

"Collingwood may be interested in someone like Sylvia"

Why? Because he kicked his girlfriend, hangs out with unsavoury types, gets on the squirt, doesn't turn up to training and is a meat axe? That's not very fair.

Jamar (delist)

No one will part with picks within the top 20 this year. You only have to look at last years static trade period. With the introduction of the Gold Coast this is hardly surprising

Why? Because he kicked his girlfriend, hangs out with unsavoury types, gets on the squirt, doesn't turn up to training and is a meat axe? That's not very fair.

Hahaha!! Very good. I meant more for the fact that they are lacking some midfielders and he may be happy to go there seeing as he is mates with Didak and he'd probably get more of a chance to play on the ball at Collingwood rather then with Melbourne where he tends to play half forward.

I can't see a team discounting ANY pick for either. Maybe Sylvia, who has more respect in the footy world outside MFC (I don't know why?) could get a late pick, particularly in a draft that's reputed as being "weak."

If we're taking PS1, plus picks 1+2, second rounder and third rounder that's 5 to slot in, plus Spencer.... That's 6. Have I got that right? I wouldn't want to go far past that last pick in the 30s.

Jamar, Jmac, Whelan, Wheatley are my big 4. Whelan is the only one I'd be really sad to see leave. Obviously Junior is a great club-man but like Neitz, is getting beyond it. I'd prefer to hang on to some seniority, but there's just no room the way I see it.

Next cab off the rank for mine is Juice. I have loved watching him play in the VFL, and hated watching him at the top level. He MAY get saved because of the whole "talls take longer" rule. But even when he's putting his considerable talent forward he's only just cutting it in his better quarters. Also, by playing him beyond 2009 we may be limiting other more deserving talls.

Robbo is getting old. He may eb a crowd favourite, but I'm not sure that's enough. The BIG thing on his side is that he's a hard worker and our only genuine star forward (well, he once was) left who can show 3 or 4 up and coming forwards the kind of attitude you need. For this reason he'll probably stay, but I'd have him as the 6th to go.

Dunn, Sylvia and Buckley would be the "emergencies." Dunn will be likely persevered with. Buckley too, and Sylvia may only go in a trade.

So that's my 6, but if I'm being realistic, I think Bell with his injuries will be the one looked at by the club. I think he's going to be required, but I reckon he and Dunn may have used up too much faith.

Oh. And people who think PJ or Bate are going to be gone have a rude shock coming. Neither are anywhere near delisting.

No one will part with picks within the top 20 this year. You only have to look at last years static trade period. With the introduction of the Gold Coast this is hardly surprising

You could very well be right. I guess it will come down to whether or not sides look to top up on experienced players to try and pinch a premiership in the next 3 years seeing as the following two drafts will be compromised or if everyone just decides to play it safe. Only reason why I thought some clubs may be willing to trade is if the rumor of this being a weak draft is true, therefore they may see more value in proven players rather then the new ones in this draft crop.

Guest Digga
Agreed, and the only way we'll get around it, is to pay out a couple of contracts... we can't keep all of Dunn, Buckley, Bell, Newton, Meesen, PJ and Jamar. At least one of those will need to go regardless of contract situation (unless we somehow get a trade for them)

I don't think we will get a trade for anyone of these players. The only player we want out of these boys is Buckley. He offers amazing pace from the back line and can break games open. All the others offer nothing special. I use to think bell had something special but our players seem to look good at the start of their career then they seem to plateau or get injured. E.g. Bate, bell, Dunn, Bruce (with respect) and rivers.