changes for round 8 v Doggies

beelzebub

Not good enough below his knees for an inside midfielder, too slow (with feet and decisions) for an outside midfielder. We can shift his focus to Casey.

I could make a list of slow-ish midfielders and their attributes compared to M. Bate but I think he is a magoos player. When people talk about Bate playing in form, his form is 16 possessions and 1-2 goals, I don't think that's enough for a guy with so many years in the system.

Agreed.

Out- Maric, Bate, Dunn, Frawley, Rivers (Frawley and Rivers due to fitness)

In- Spencer, McNamara, CHENEY, Jetta, Whelan.

Now why would you do that? He showed improvement from his effort last week, he had much more of an influence, and he needs the game time at AFL level.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I wasn't imagining things but they said before the game yesterday that Bate was 2nd in the league for goal assists. I was naturally surprised at this fact (if it was in fact true) but it shows that he does do a fair bit of hard work which can go unheralded.

Anyway,

OUT: Rivers, Frawley

IN: Cheney, McNamara (now is as good as ever), Spencer (if fit - which means dropping another).

Whether it be this week or next week I wouldn't mind seeing Bail play as well. I don't know what the situation is with Jetta or Whelan.

Not good enough below his knees for an inside midfielder, too slow (with feet and decisions) for an outside midfielder. We can shift his focus to Casey.

I could make a list of slow-ish midfielders and their attributes compared to M. Bate but I think he is a magoos player. When people talk about Bate playing in form, his form is 16 possessions and 1-2 goals, I don't think that's enough for a guy with so many years in the system.

Agreed.

Out- Maric, Bate, Dunn, Frawley, Rivers (Frawley and Rivers due to fitness)

In- Spencer, McNamara, CHENEY, Jetta, Whelan.

Now why would you do that? He showed improvement from his effort last week, he had much more of an influence, and he needs the game time at AFL level.

Yeah right lets drop Maric. Worst post ever! :wacko:

Not sure about 'worst post ever', he wins "tool of the week", surely.

I don't have anything against Maric.

I think he is a good player at times, but I think he needs that extra few weeks to prove that he is capable as an AFL player.

His disposal of the ball had improved from last week's game, but I don't think he should be rushed in where there isn't much room to improve for him. I also think another player could do his role and make Maric's slightly different.

I don't know how my own opinion can be "Worst post ever"

I think he is a good player at times, but I think he needs that extra few weeks to prove that he is capable as an AFL player.

And where exactly do you want him to prove his AFL capabilities?

His disposal of the ball had improved from last week's game, but I don't think he should be rushed in where there isn't much room to improve for him. I also think another player could do his role and make Maric's slightly different.

Don't you think the few extra weeks would be better for him after he has proven himself against West Coast at Subiaco at AFL level?

I'm a little confused on what you mean (where I have highlighted your post).

He was far from rushed into the side, if that is what you were getting at. He spent quite a few weeks at Casey in good form in the seniors. He is a 2nd year player. Bailey stated he wanted to give more chances to 2nd year players.

I thought he showed alot against West Coast. Good poise. For him to kick that goal on the run from 50m in the last quarter, that's what we want and lack, players that will back theselves and kick truly.

I don't know how my own opinion can be "Worst post ever"

Agreed, Maric played very well and deserves to get another game. Snagged 2 goals, 13 disposals, 100% disposal effectiveness, and that goal in the last quarter was fantastic. Really like the look of this kid. I would love to see more of Wonaeamirri and Maric working hard in the forward line.

In: Spencer,Cheney

Out: Frawley,Rivers

Lucky thing is Western Bulldogs don`t have a big forward line so it might be ok with just the two talls Martin and Warnock.

IN: Bell, Spencer (McNamara), Whelan

OUT: Bartram, Frawley (inj), Rivers (inj)

Spencer I agree is an automatic inclusion if fit. If not I'd give McNamara a go. Bell will be a automatic inclusion to take the Bulldogs best medium size forward and I think it's time Whelan came back.

Bartram is unlucky as Dunn could be the best to be dropped but I do like having Dunn there as an option to go forward.

FB: Bell, Warnock, Whelan

HB: Bate, Martin, Bennell

C: Morton, Moloney, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Miller, Petterd

FF: Dunn, Robertson, Maric

Foll: Spencer, Bruce, McLean

Int: Grimes, Johnson, Jones, McDonald

Emerg: Bartram, McNamara, Newton

Why drop bartram

Lucky thing is Western Bulldogs don`t have a big forward line so it might be ok with just the two talls Martin and Warnock.

Yea, i'm wondering who they will both play on. Martin on Aka would be a thrilling contest, and Warnock might stick on Johnson or maybe Welsh if he plays.

Martin on Aka would be a thrilling contest

The 198cm Martin on Aker ? Yeah, sure. Your posts are pretty good for a laugh. In fact they lighten my day. Keep it up. :lol:

(And I don't need reminding of his second place in the GF sprint.)

Nah, that's crap. The kid's good games are bloody good, just needs to rediscover some touch.

I personally think he's put a bit too much pressure on himself this year.

I agree he should be dropped, but as a means to an end.

Out (and never to come back): Bate Dunn

I think the club needs to persist with these 2. There's talent there it just needs to be drawn out.

Yea, i'm wondering who they will both play on.

Martin will most likely play on Minson when up forward and provide 5 min bursts in the ruck.

Warnock, i'd imagine, will line up on whoever plays at FF. Whether thats Robert Murphy, Brad Johnson, Mith Hahn or Welsh, i trust him to take whoever goes to the goalsquare.

Martin v Minson

Warnock v Hahn / Welsh (if plays)

McNamara v Hill / Murphy

Cheney v Akermanis / B. Johnson

IN: CHENEY, BELL, WHELAN

OUT: RIVERS, FRAWLEY, DUNN

Bate was ok against the Eagles don't know why people want him dropped.

Bartram will never get dropped he is the heart and soul of the team.

Spencer hasn't played for a while so I can't see why they will rush him in unfit.

Cheney should be playing, we need Whelan for experience and I think Bell will play Frawley's role cause he has pace and can play defensive roles I don't think McNamara has showed enough yet.

McLean and McDonald have to start showing something. McLean is still clearly carrying an ankle injury. McDonald just can't find the ball and his strength is his tackling and it has been poor this year. We have Valenti and McKenzie waiting in the wings give them a go if they don't show something soon.

Nah, that's crap. The kid's good games are bloody good, just needs to rediscover some touch.

I personally think he's put a bit too much pressure on himself this year.

I agree he should be dropped, but as a means to an end.

He's never set the world on fire, and [am being harsh on Bate].

I censored myself, I do the old "Can you see this player in a premiership side?" and like his classmate Lynden, I can't.

A good bounce and a proper kick by Robbo and Bate would have snagged three in a game that he drifted in and out of.

His form has been awful or satisfactory so far this season but our forward line did very well with scraps against the Eagles - only 41 Inside 50s.

I harp on this, but I still believe it is important, you can't judge forwards if the kicks into the forward line are low on quality and quantity.

Thankfully the quality was better last week, but 41 Inside 50s is well below AFL average.

Out - Rivers, Frawley

In - Cheney, Newton

Maybe Whelan or McNamara for Dunn.

The Bullies play small so Rivers and Frawley are not desperately required this week, but they were both having such promising seasons I hope it will be a short stay on the sidelines.

Don't quite understand that as Spencer would not have played for about a month. Have Martin to play on either Minson or Hudson when they go forward and PJ play around the ground.

Agree with the other two though, although Whelan may be a chance particularly with Rivers leadership in the back half gone.

On the other hand, Spencer has yet to be named on Melbourne's official injury list so he must have been fit for the past month. Does he still atttend school? :lol:

Bate surely has to go. He has been carried for weeks with poor form.

Out: Bate, Riv, Chip, Dunne

In : Cheney, Mcnamara, Newton, Jetta

I think Bell's career is close to being over. I no longer rate him.

I chose Newton because we need more marking power up forward. Therefore that gives us Newton, Robbo and Miller as marking forwards. We just need some crumbers, such as Jetta and Maric to kick a few and we may cause a boilover!

Too early for Green.

i really want to see mcnamara this is the year to blood players give them there chance (list manage) seriously get as many players playing to see what they have to offer.

Tough week for selection with the two injuries and no Casey form to go on except for what they did the other week against Coburg.

I'm not sure Spencer should come straight in even if he is fit. Could do with a week at Casey. PJ showed he could hold his own against probably the best ruckman in the league last Sunday and it wouldnt surprise me if Bailey let him go again. We do ultimately need a second ruckman in the lineup but I'm not sure an underdone Spencer is going to give us much at this stage. Will find himself in the lineup soon but not just yet.

People suggesting Maric should be dropped amaze me. Sure the kid looks like he's only 13 years old, but he played a good game on the weekend especially considering the shocker he had a week before. He responded incredibly well for a young player with another 13 touches and 100% efficiency not to mention 2 goals, with the goal he kicked late in the fourth quarter on the run from 50 showing some true class and some badly needed ability to finish. Leave him in for gods sake.

At this stage:

In- Cheney, McNamara.

Out - Rivers, Frawley.

Can someone answer a question for me?

I was sure when we recruited Bate he played his first few games in the midfield.

Was I dreaming, because we need to do something to give him some confidence. He's a mess at the moment. He needs a shift in focus IMO.

No--I remember Bate's first games, on a HFF, and he played well, including kicking a vital couple of goals in a Finals match v St K in his first season.His form' has dropped after he was tried as a full forward, which he aint!

At a social function a few months later [Dec 2006] Neale Daniher commented that he thought that the club had recruited well that year. He named Bate, Dunn,Warnock and Bartram as likely to play 200 games for the club. A year or so later we would have thought he was mad as to Warnock--not now! Both Bate and Dunn have talent and I would stick with them, and Newton also. And as the Club rated Bartram as amongst our best last week, I can't understand how someone can suggest he should be dropped

The 198cm Martin on Aker ? Yeah, sure. Your posts are pretty good for a laugh. In fact they lighten my day. Keep it up. :lol:

(And I don't need reminding of his second place in the GF sprint.)

Hannabal, i'm not joking. It would be great to see Stef play on Aka, he could hold him right out of the contest. Martin plays well on shorter opponents. I don't think there is much height to contend with at all, unless Minson goes forward for some of the game.