Robertson - beat his man

Sylvia - 8 crunching tackles

Warnock - hard working defender

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest petjud
You certainly don't need to agree with what's written but there's no need to take pot shots at other supporters if you think they have something wrong.

In footy terminology, play the ball and not the man.

I certainly wouldn't take a cheap shot at you because you incorrectly asserted that Bruce was regarded as 'amongst the best on the field for what they did' in "all the reports, paper, tv, other sites" (Bruce was given 3 votes in the 'bad ones' on MMM).

I don't really care if anybody takes pot shots, I stand by what I either say or write, MMM is not exactly the home of footy knowledge but I take your point that he appeared there, perhaps YM works there or knows somebody who works there........I would have liked you to respond to my discourse on Bruce and Whelan....

No I am not kidding...if you watched the game...you would have seen Davey having his short pulled, blocked, elbowed etc etc...you can't retaliate otherwise you end up in the book.........Bruce gave a bit back...the game was over as a contest.he was making a statement..........he could have tackled him.he was right on the line anyway.so he gave him a clip..boo hoo poor Geelong player........

Worst post ever.

Making a statement with a head-high tackle on Geelong's half-forward flank?!? I suppose Barry Hall was making a statement when he hit Staker and Long was making a statement when Symmonds had his head over the ball? If you think that hitting a bloke in the head is a way to look tough on the footy field then you have never played the game. In that situation the easiest thing for Bruce to do was flap out his arm and slap Chapman across the face (becaue it avoids body contact). If he wanted to make a statement he should have buried his shoulder into Chapman's ribcage and driven him over the line, like Whelan does twice a game. That act by Bruce sums up the fact that his football has completely lost the plot.

Guest petjud
Worst post ever.

Making a statement with a head-high tackle on Geelong's half-forward flank?!? I suppose Barry Hall was making a statement when he hit Staker and Long was making a statement when Symmonds had his head over the ball? If you think that hitting a bloke in the head is a way to look tough on the footy field then you have never played the game. In that situation the easiest thing for Bruce to do was flap out his arm and slap Chapman across the face (becaue it avoids body contact). If he wanted to make a statement he should have buried his shoulder into Chapman's ribcage and driven him over the line, like Whelan does twice a game. That act by Bruce sums up the fact that his football has completely lost the plot.

it is not a matter of lookng tough on the football field, if you read my posts carefully to see what I am alluding to is that as a team at the moment we are getting a lot of stick, Daveyhad a lot of cheap rubbish put on him during the game, Bruce was just returning it...........it did no harm..........can we have a bit of mongrel in the team please

as far as Bruce as a player goies, I think even though most posters think YM is a [censored], his influence and constant baying has had a subliminal influence on everybody who now think Bruce is crap.......

listen to what DB thinks of him...........he gives 100% every week, he goes around pissing on fires all over the field, agreed he is not the best kick in the world.........but he has been doing it for nearly 10 years, and we need him to help guide the younger players.he is also very durable and consistent....

with the post being a candidate for worst post ever.......I am afraid there are a very long list of candidantes for that honour....starting with the thread that inevitably starts after the final siren with the changes that the so called knowledgable thinks that DB should make for the following game..........I read them coz I enjoy a good laugh....

As somebody said people who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.......if you don't like my opiion then don't read what I post...........I skip anything that has YM as the author....unless I need a quick humour fix......

Bartram - determined but exposed

Bate - not on field

Bennell - often seemed overawed

Bruce - was surprisingly loose

Davey - prolific and dynamic

Dunn - seemed totally lost

Frawley - loose but exciting

Johnson - was rarely noticed

Jones - determined but sporadic

Maric - a huge disappointment

McDonald - never stopped trying

Martin - all at sea

McLean - slow and labouring

Meesen - played his part

Miller - always double teamed

Moloney - not as prolific

Morton - too easily outmuscled

Petterd - lost in pocket

Rivers - was rarely sighted

Robertson - a pleasing return

Sylvia - far too little

Warnock - disciplined and successful

Very harsh on Martin in my opinion. I thought he was good. Should leave him in defence though.

Very harsh on Martin in my opinion. I thought he was good. Should leave him in defence though.

why ? our goal spree kicking forwards are having that much of a day out ?? Doesnt hurt at this juncture to see what he can do. Frosty can always play down back. Lets experiment a bit..mix it up.. who ever knows whatmight come of it. We dont have that 'perfect' team yet who's balance is so finely honed we dare not upset ;)

Spot on.

Davey's smother was brave, and inspirational.

Bruce giving away silly free kicks was not. Neither was his disposal or decision making, which has let him down time and time again.

While I appreciate how hard Bruce works in general play, and the fact that he hasn't lost any of his aerobic capacity, he needs to be made responsible for his awful disposal. Also, yesterday he went half-hearted into a number of tackles that he should have nailed.

Yes he may be our Vice Captain, but at the moment he is struggling to influence the contest and he needs to be made accountable for that. I know they won't drop him, like they won't drop Junior, but they should. Nobody should be given a free ride.

Yeah, from all your on field experience you would KNOW he should have nailed his opponent! Ever heard of evasion or baulking? Geelong are not too bad at these facets. 'Half- hearted' indeed! You really are no better than YM on Mr Bruce are you? I don't knock any of my team because I BARRACK with all my heart for Melbourne. Look up the meaning of this key word and maybe, just maybe, you will realise the futility of bagging the guys that are representing the team you claim to follow. Just what good comes from your bagging? Do you really think the MFC selectors are going to influenced by ANYTHING any of us might say? You are dreaming if you do.

Geez you get testy when it comes to someone, anyone, daring to criticise Bruce.......

Yeah, from all your on field experience you would KNOW he should have nailed his opponent! Ever heard of evasion or baulking? Geelong are not too bad at these facets. 'Half- hearted' indeed! You really are no better than YM on Mr Bruce are you? I don't knock any of my team because I BARRACK with all my heart for Melbourne. Look up the meaning of this key word and maybe, just maybe, you will realise the futility of bagging the guys that are representing the team you claim to follow. Just what good comes from your bagging? Do you really think the MFC selectors are going to influenced by ANYTHING any of us might say? You are dreaming if you do.

If he gets dropped, will you be disappointed?

Guest petjud
Geez you get testy when it comes to someone, anyone, daring to criticise Bruce.......

\

it is not 'anyone' criticising Bruce, YM starts it and then everybody joins in, hate to have their own opinion it may attract criticiism from other posters......

the thing you will notice on this board, that if you make an opinion that actually makes sense rather than bleating or baying, a swift answer is not forthcoming.......or you get called condescending........I reply to any answers I get back.........I have only ever 'criticised' one player....that is Newton, I think he has the ability, he is just lacking the application....he is getting paid to do it......so he should put in......but I didn't go as far as wanting him euthanased.......

it is not 'anyone' criticising Bruce, YM starts it and then everybody joins in, hate to have their own opinion it may attract criticiism from other posters......

the thing you will notice on this board, that if you make an opinion that actually makes sense rather than bleating or baying, a swift answer is not forthcoming.......or you get called condescending........I reply to any answers I get back.........I have only ever 'criticised' one player....that is Newton, I think he has the ability, he is just lacking the application....he is getting paid to do it......so he should put in......but I didn't go as far as wanting him euthanased.......

Ok petjud we are allowed to be critical of anyone who we don't think is playing well and Bruce should not be immune......

And just because someone does have the apparent audacity to criticise a man who should be playing better in my opinion they are lumped in with YM.

He has nothing to with my opinion, and I would think nothing to do with Jaded's opinion who's post was being responded to here.

Don't think for a second that we don't have, and aren't entitled to our own opinions, that's just offensive.

And if you don't like what we have to say, then I'm sorry, that is just tough luck.

You are not giving intelligent people the right to hold an opinion of their own, simply because it is not yours and happens to coincide with a poster you don't agree with.

Ok petjud we are allowed to be critical of anyone who we don't think is playing well and Bruce should not be immune......

And just because someone does have the apparent audacity to criticise a man who should be playing better in my opinion they are lumped in with YM.

He has nothing to with my opinion, and I would think nothing to do with Jaded's opinion who's post was being responded to here.

Don't think for a second that we don't have, and aren't entitled to our own opinions, that's just offensive.

And if you don't like what we have to say, then I'm sorry, that is just tough luck.

You are not giving intelligent people the right to hold an opinion of their own, simply because it is not yours and happens to coincide with a poster you don't agree with.

well put ;)

No player is beyond reasonable discussion or debate

I, for one, never had an opinion before reading Y_M's posts.

Now I've been brainwashed into thinking Bruce has shocking disposal, must be some form of black magic...

I, for one, never had an opinion before reading Y_M's posts.

Now I've been brainwashed into thinking Bruce has shocking disposal, must be some form of black magic...

Could you please explain your 25 great years at the bottom of your post '45hotgod'. Seems a bit of a mixture to me.

well put ;)

No player is beyond reasonable discussion or debate

Not true if it is the same player being criticised for every single action that is not perfect. You would think that Bruce's high tackle was the first ever done by an AFL player. He hardly ever gives away a free kick but WOW, when he does all hell breaks loose. Petty, petty indeed. Negative, negative.......

Not true if it is the same player being criticised for every single action that is not perfect. You would think that Bruce's high tackle was the first ever done by an AFL player. He hardly ever gives away a free kick but WOW, when he does all hell breaks loose. Petty, petty indeed. Negative, negative.......

which bit of 'reasonable discussion and debate " didnt you quite understand ?? :rolleyes: <_<

you yourself are highlighting only "an " occasion.. most of us put things into a considered context.

I invite you to try that

He isn't critisized in that manner at all.

Grow up!

Talk about petty. :rolleyes:

Guest petjud

There is a difference between constructive criticism and mass bleating that can't be backed up either by fact, statistics, past records or actually watching a game without looking for something to bleat about.

We seem to forget that DB is the coach, I have only been a full time supporter for a couple of years, but I haven't seen DB even remotely look like dropping Bruce......now either he is completely wrong about the player or all the posters on here are....I think it is the latter because I doubt many posters have coached at the elite level.......unless you want to come out from behind your unsername and reveal your true identity.

I just get a bit peeved with the same targets being picked every week.......as if they are the designated whipping boys for supporters.......either than or Demonland has an aversion to the letter B......as in Bate, Bartram and Bruce

It would be nice to see support....one interesting thing is we seem not to have a new Maric this week as the new saviour....

perhaps some of the mass bleating over the last couple of weeks for his inclusion and Maric's performance on the weekend (I personally think he was trying too hard, after getting back in, and the harder he tried the worse it became)......has led to a bit of mass embaraseement and nobody wants to get caught again.

I have an opinion, I state it, if people don't agree with it, I don't particularly care, but then again when I don't agree with someone else's opinion I am either condescendinng or insulting........I have not taken offence and have not posted as such I have posted further in an attemp to further explain why I have an opinion...

obviously there is a double standard going on here...same as with the constant criticism of certain players........we ask for consistency from the players.it would be nice to see from the posters............

Don't worry, he's bored because Yze_Magic isn't here to argue with him.

I've already said that I will not be responding to him and feeding his need for an argument. We all have our opinions on players, good or bad, and we are all allowed to express them, as long as we do it in a respectful manner.

I have never ever abused Bruce, called him weak, pathetic etc... etc... I have always fully acknowledged how hard he works on the field, but I am not blind to his downfalls, and neither are most posters here. As a senior player, and a leader, he is likely to attract more criticism than most... that's part of the pitfalls of being an AFL player.