Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

Newton is no good because he hasn't played enough senior footy?

Newton hasn't played enough senior footy because he is no good?

ETC

Give it a rest, you're beginning to foam and froth.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. Well let's make it perfectly clear:

Newton played his best game for Melbourne last weekend.

It was still nowhere near good enough and his usual shortcomings were all too obvious. This is not even taking his poor accuracy into account.

The fact that it was a personal best is, in many ways, more a cause for indictment than for plaudits, particularly as he showed about 1/10th as much effort/commitment as Miller.

But yeah, it was his best game so far. So, well done Newton, I guess.

If that's still too ambiguous for some, then they can refer to my earlier "ghost train" comment for further edification.

P.S. Newton is older than Matthew Bate and was drafted in the same year (albeit 30 spots earlier).

We will have to agree to disagree.

I think Newton has the potential to be a good full forward for us. Has the pace, has the leap, can take a grab and works hard defensively. Is he the finished package yet? No. Would I expect him to be at 21/22? No. Is he showing enough signs of significant improvement for me? Yes. does he have to consolidate his spot n the team over the rest of the year and next season? Yes. Obviously you don't share my opinion of his abilty or of his performance against the Tigers. Thats fair enough.

Ridiculous post.

are you back champ. :wacko:

Give it a rest, you're beginning to foam and froth.

3 insightful contributions. Is it always like this, or do I simply bring it out in people?

Happy to disagree with you demoniac. I can admit that he does have some talent (especially in the air), and that last week was his best game so far.

Unfortunately, he isn't showing any signs of improvement where he most needs to (guts, commitment etc.).

I also think that he is getting a little long in the tooth to hide behind the age excuse.

Cheers

He has already had a few years. He was drafted in 2004.

If he has not played many games, it is because he showed what he showed last Sunday - he doesn't want it enough. This is the primary explanation for why people loathe him. That, and also because our forward line is weak, he teased us with a good mark in 2007 (which is why the nuff nuffs all love him), and we haven't won a premiership since 1964.

Travis Cloke was taken at pick 39 (father/son) in 2004 - is he old enough to criticise yet?

"That is why people LOATHE him!"

On a site for supporters of the MFC? Extraordinary!!!!

You say that on Sunday he didn't want it enough?Watch the bloody replay and then you should apologise!

He's a kid and deserves a chance. A friend of mine who also knocks Newton told us all that Neitz was useless/didn't go in etc when he was about the same age.

And did he really make his debut in R3 of 2007? I thought his first game was Neale Daniher's last, at Docklands

You don't have to agree with it, but he is always allowed to have his opinion Stuey, no apologies necessary.....

That being said I am not sure the word "loathe" should ever be used to describe how we feel about players on our own team.

You say that on Sunday he didn't want it enough?Watch the bloody replay and then you should apologise!

He's a kid and deserves a chance. A friend of mine who also knocks Newton told us all that Neitz was useless/didn't go in etc when he was about the same age.

And did he really make his debut in R3 of 2007? I thought his first game was Neale Daniher's last, at Docklands

Let me make this clear - "loathe" was not my term. The only reason I didn't put it in inverted commas in my post was because it was originally misspelt in the post that I was responding to, and I didn't want to look like I was taking a cheap shot. I do not loathe Newton.

Having said that, I stand by my assertions that he did not want it enough.

I also think that he has had enough chances (17 now since 2004?). If he was better he would have played more games by now.

Certainly, a 2-year contract is far too many chances for what he has shown us so far.

Let me make this clear - "loathe" was not my term. The only reason I didn't put it in inverted commas in my post was because it was originally misspelt in the post that I was responding to, and I didn't want to look like I was taking a cheap shot. I do not loathe Newton.

I also think that he has had enough chances (17 now since 2004?). If he was better he would have played more games by now.

Certainly, a 2-year contract is far too many chances for what he has shown us so far.

well then tell us--have you watched the replay?I have.

I thought once in the 3rd quarter he missed an opportunity to tackle when he could have done so. Otherwise he couldn't be faulted in the endeavour area.[i was watching intently because of the comments of my mate who is also a doubter} He did kick poorly on 2 occasions.

I do agree that this week will sort out both Newton and Miller, against Bock and Rutten. About as good key defenders as there are going around.

Finally is it really 2004 that he came to MFC? At age 16?

well then tell us--have you watched the replay?I have.

I thought once in the 3rd quarter he missed an opportunity to tackle when he could have done so. Otherwise he couldn't be faulted in the endeavour area.[i was watching intently because of the comments of my mate who is also a doubter} He did kick poorly on 2 occasions.

I do agree that this week will sort out both Newton and Miller, against Bock and Rutten. About as good key defenders as there are going around.

Finally is it really 2004 that he came to MFC? At age 16?

2004 AFL draft pick 43.

As I have pointed out - he is older than Matthew Bate.

If you have the replay, check out the moment I metioned earlier where the ball sails over his head because he is too scared to run backwards to mark it (even though he has acres of space). From memory, it was a kick from Morton in the first quarter.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Bails said before the game that he would like 2-3 goals, some forward pressure and crashing some packs (this is from my memory so if I'm wrong feel free to correct). I've never thought that Newton was the answer to our forward line but as far as I saw he did what was asked and that is just fine with me.

The litmus of a good team ( well certanly one of many ) is that forwards kick goals..rather simple isnt it. They need to be opportunistic and accurate. They need to do this consistently. Juice doesnt..if he can he will be valuale..if he cant..well !!!!!!!!!

THAT IS BECASUE WE ALL WANTED HIM DROPPED WHEN HIS CONTRACT WAS RENEWED HE WAS A WASTE

2004 AFL draft pick 43.

As I have pointed out - he is older than Matthew Bate.

If you have the replay, check out the moment I metioned earlier where the ball sails over his head because he is too scared to run backwards to mark it (even though he has acres of space). From memory, it was a kick from Morton in the first quarter.

I have not checked the replay but I have clear recall of Newton twice marking as he ran back with the flight. Fear is clearly not a factor in those circumstances.

If it was the first quarter as you suggest maybe he got a rocket and has self-corrected.

There was one when we were kicking to the City end, he was in an acre of space ball delivered high to him, he meekly put two arms up and the ball sailed over the top. Very frustrating

The litmus of a good team ( well certanly one of many ) is that forwards kick goals..rather simple isnt it.

It should surprise no-one that Robbo leads our Goal Average Table with 1.85 per game. It will surprise a few that Juice is next with 1.47, Wonna and Davey follow with 1.33. He has this number despite being lazy, having a pea-heart, not being able to kick and numerous other alleged deficiencies. A bag here and there would get him past Robertson in quick time. Some of you will bleat about sample sizes but the fact is Newts has only been given 17 games.

You've got to be kidding me mate. That was clearly Mortons fault as Newton was in space, the ball went a couple of metres over his head and he had no chance. If you're going to use an example then you just used the worst one possible. You have no idea.

You've got to be kidding me mate. That was clearly Mortons fault as Newton was in space, the ball went a couple of metres over his head and he had no chance. If you're going to use an example then you just used the worst one possible. You have no idea.

It was a [censored] kick, one out of the Nathan Brown coaching manual. I don't think lsog would know.

It should surprise no-one that Robbo leads our Goal Average Table with 1.85 per game. It will surprise a few that Juice is next with 1.47, Wonna and Davey follow with 1.33. He has this number despite being lazy, having a pea-heart, not being able to kick and numerous other alleged deficiencies. A bag here and there would get him past Robertson in quick time. Some of you will bleat about sample sizes but the fact is Newts has only been given 17 games.

Shows what meaningless stat it is and how it is being used to justify something it does not measure.

You've written him off and would have him play for Casey if they see any value. But the FD haven't.

The attributes he's got can't be learned. The failings he's got can be overcome - they're choices he makes (as posted elsewhere).

The best place for him curently, given he's on the list and we're rebuilding, is playing for MFC. When he doesn't do what's required he should be dragged and have his error explained. We could do that at Casey but we may as well do it at the MCG at the required level. Right now we've got the luxury of trying this. In some ways there's a positive for Bailey in a player who wont play as required - he provides an example.

Although his skills as a forward aren't spectacular i think the weekend showed how important it is to have someone like Newton the forward structure. If nothing else he provides a target that can bring the ball to ground.

While we're on Newton, we all know his kicking is atrocious but i noticed a lot of our players, particularly Miller, were playing on even though they had a shot for goal from as close as 25-30 metres out. I know confidence must be a bit low (hopefully a little higher now!) but our players must back themselves from that distance.

Although his skills as a forward aren't spectacular i think the weekend showed how important it is to have someone like Newton the forward structure. If nothing else he provides a target that can bring the ball to ground.

While we're on Newton, we all know his kicking is atrocious but i noticed a lot of our players, particularly Miller, were playing on even though they had a shot for goal from as close as 25-30 metres out. I know confidence must be a bit low (hopefully a little higher now!) but our players must back themselves from that distance.

the only confidence he has is in his ego. That chip on his shoulder is holding him back its a shame. A bit of hard work and he could be good. He is still lazy and has a poor attitude. I would be more than disapointed to see him in the line up this weekend,. There are more players who have earned their spots.

Get rid of the joke juice and bring in the Jurrah!

Looked like he had a chance to me - just not enough commitment. If he half as good as some of you are making out he could have marked it with ease. Either way, my case does not hinge upon this single example.

It's funny how two people can watch the same game of AFL and come away with completely different impressions. The impression that Newton gave me on the weekend was one that has become familiar: A new inmate at H-Block looking for a wall to push his arse up against.

You've written him off and would have him play for Casey if they see any value. But the FD haven't.

The attributes he's got can't be learned. The failings he's got can be overcome - they're choices he makes (as posted elsewhere).

The best place for him curently, given he's on the list and we're rebuilding, is playing for MFC. When he doesn't do what's required he should be dragged and have his error explained. We could do that at Casey but we may as well do it at the MCG at the required level. Right now we've got the luxury of trying this. In some ways there's a positive for Bailey in a player who wont play as required - he provides an example.

Clearly the Football Department thinks differently to me - otherwise they wouldn't have give him a 2-year contract. Given that he is on the list, and that we don't want to win games, I guess that there is little harm in playing him - provided that he gives 100%. All of the young players should be busting a gut to get and keep a place on the team, and Bailey should be encouraging this mentality by picking accordingly. If a fringe player like Newton isn't trying hard now, what will he be like with a comfortable spot on the team? Our kids should be taking their cues from Miller, not Newton. I do not agree that Newton's problems are easy to fix.

The structural argument is interesting and has been mentioned a few times now. Of course, this should not be confused with an argument for Newton. If all people want is a target then we may as well have an inanimate carbon rod for people to kick to - at least it wouldn't clog up the list next year.

the only confidence he has is in his ego. That chip on his shoulder is holding him back its a shame. A bit of hard work and he could be good. He is still lazy and has a poor attitude. I would be more than disapointed to see him in the line up this weekend,. There are more players who have earned their spots.

Get rid of the joke juice and bring in the Jurrah!

Do you know Newton personally, or are you guessing that he has a huge ego and a chip on his shoulder? It will be interesting to see our in and outs this week:

In: Jurrah

Out: Newton (Inflated ego)

I tend to agree with Pates. Newton's skills aren't great at the moment, but he has a presence that gives our forward line some structure and potency. Having 2 key forwards (Miller and Newton) have 6 or more shots at goal in 1 game has been a rarity of late.

PS: I'm waiting on the Newton bashers to jump on here after the Adelaide game, and bag him if he gets towelled up by either Bock or Rutten. Just a preemptive word of advice. Better forwards than Newton have been towelled up by Bock and Rutten.

Give the kid at least one full injury free year in the seniors to prove himself. He hasn't had that yet.