Casey Scorpions v Coburg Tigers 5/4/09

KC from Casey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An unselfish handpass from Robbi for Juice's second and it's a goal the difference at qtr time.

Casey doing it comfortably. Robbo's been lively and took his second hanger but his pass went astray. Scorps 9.5.59 to Tigers 4.5.29.

Goals Liddle, Newton 2, Jurrah, McLeod, Robertson, Valenti, Waite

Best for Casey - Bail, Meeson, Robertson, Liddle, Wall

Thanks KC.

I can't decide whether or not I want Newton to do well. We need a forward to step up, but I don't really want it to be Newton.

thats ridiculous!

who else is there to step up? if juice can come into the tam and provide a target, kick somes goals and become part of our 22, then we should all be happy

I'd want more than one week of good performance from Newton before I put him in an MFC jumper again.

The biggest issue is he just does not get it between the ears about what is required for AFL. Unless he sustains it over a couple of weeks in the VFL forget it. Flaky and as tough as warm custard.

Good to see Robbo doing well with no restriction from his injury.

Casey doing it comfortably. Robbo's been lively and took his second hanger but his pass went astray. Scorps 9.5.59 to Tigers 4.5.29.

Goals Liddle, Newton 2, Jurrah, McLeod, Robertson, Valenti, Waite

Best for Casey - Bail, Meeson, Robertson, Liddle, Wall

A 7 goal qtr to Coburg aided by a strong breeze saw them hit the lead on the siren 11.9.75 to 11.5.71.

Robbo's called it a day and a few of the Demons rested for a good part of the qtr.

Meesen continued to show strong form in the ruck. Lynden Dunn has been working hard around the ground and took a strong mark for a goal later in the qtr.

Kyle Matthews is playing a real captain's game and is getting good support from Shane Valenti.

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 9.5.59 11.5.71 16.10.106

Coburg Tigers 4.2.26 4.5.29 11.9.75 12.11.83

Goals Newton 3, Dunn, Jurrah, Liddle 2, Collins, McLeod, Robertson, Silvagni, Stockdale, Valenti, Waite

Best Meeson, Bail, Liddle, Dunn, Wall, Matthews

I'll do a little report summing up the game at 6.15pm

Just got in

Firstly Robbo played 2 qtrs plus 10 mins in 3rd walked of and as he went up the race he said yes got through played well but seriously needs more time

Meesen, well this guy has real improvement played against pattinson did well alll day around the ground worthy to be given a few games in ones wont set house on fire but is learning the ruck trade well

Jurrah getting better with each run conditions didnt suit played up forward and on wing in 2nd qtr great vertical leap and skills are there looks like only fitness is the key here

Valenti got a knock to the calf in last 5 mins wanted to go back on and was told to give it a rest prob still a week or 2 away

Maric seemed to play whole game except last 5 got taken of once valenti got hurt very damaging good work rate

Newton played up forward and stints in ruck kicked a cpl of goals one cheapy thanks to robbo but seems they are grooming him for more different roles in future better than last week still hope for this guy good work rate and run

Dunn ruck roved all day unsure how fit or why he didnt play last week kicked nice goal in last 5 mins class performer with little prep

Jordie Mckenzie played mainly half back like the look of him good tackler runs hard going to watch him more closer next time

zommer didnt take much notice though did some nice things

game played in wet and very windy conditions so i felt was good result for all concerned only changes i can see maybe meesen and newton doubt valenti or maric are ready just yet also saw wheels in civies no game again

game played in wet and very windy conditions so i felt was good result for all concerned only changes i can see maybe meesen and newton doubt valenti or maric are ready just yet also saw wheels in civies no game again

Maric not ready? Does he not have a few games under his belt now? His form sounds good enough.

Maric not ready? Does he not have a few games under his belt now? His form sounds good enough.

3 quarters last week and spent around 5 mins min on bench each quarter i feel and my opinion only would be another game then game on against the tiges good condititons for him and valenti suited them well got them more chances crumbing

I was at the game, saw most of the last three quarters. Here's just a few observations:

Jurrah: I really like the look of him, he just glides across the ground and his skills are very good as are his hands. At one stage he was third man up in a ruck contest and he managed to fly about a metre above everyone else to smash the ball forward 20 metres. As has been mentioned he still lacks fitness but is my bet as a smokey to play in the coming weeks.

Maric: Great skills, great poise, ran hard and was clearly a cut above the rest. He will add a lot when he comes back into the Melbourne forward line.

Bail: The first time that I've seen Bail, he moves well and used the ball quite well running off halfback.

Valenti: Another player who is clearly a cut above the rest, always seems to find space in even the most congested situations and his hand and foot skills are first rate. He has great penetration in his kicking and is very good on his left foot.

Dunn: Was played in the middle, his long kicking a highlight but I find it hard to get excited by him when he is playing in the middle as he really is a natural forward. He threw his weight around a bit which was good but just doesn't have the same polish that he seemed to have earlier in his career.

Newton: Nothing new from Newton for me, I saw him kick at least one goal (there may have been more), he gave away a stupid 50 metre penalty by literally throwing an opposition player A over T after he disposed of the ball and gave just another Newton performance.

McKenzie: I didn't see a lot of McKenzie, but that doesn't mean he didn't get the ball much I was just getting used to all of the Casey players and new number for everyone.

Meesen: Was good without starring, his skills are still a bit rough but he showed good hands and was pretty good in the ruck contests.

Robertson: I didn't see a lot of Robbo but he looked to be moving freely and I arrived in time to see him take a screamer which shows that he still has some spring in his step.

A 7 goal qtr to Coburg aided by a strong breeze saw them hit the lead on the siren 11.9.75 to 11.5.71.

Robbo's called it a day and a few of the Demons rested for a good part of the qtr.

Meesen continued to show strong form in the ruck. Lynden Dunn has been working hard around the ground and took a strong mark for a goal later in the qtr.

Kyle Matthews is playing a real captain's game and is getting good support from Shane Valenti.

Well done 'KC from Casey', good report, isn't Meesen showing a different side this season. This is what I'd hoped for from him in his first season. Showing desire to play & is in fact doing nicely thank you very much. Getting to position to provide a target, doing defensive stuff, taking some marks. Good to see him progressing. :)

Newton: Nothing new from Newton for me, I saw him kick at least one goal (there may have been more), he gave away a stupid 50 metre penalty by literally throwing an opposition player A over T after he disposed of the ball and gave just another Newton performance.

Thanks for that, CB. :)

:angry: What is Newton's problem?! He could be the answer to our prayers. We need a forward now MORE THAN EVER. The way I see it, the next few weeks (3 - 4) are make or break for him (...although I fear he is contracted for a bit more than that!?)

CB or anyone that was at the game, does he actually show any skill or promise at all or still just attitude and arrogance?

Nice.

Looking forward to it, and reports on Maric and Jurrah mainly.

'Yze_Magic', Liam Jurrah is showing more potential every week as he adjusts to the tempo of footy & obviously life in Melbourne. His class is starting to be really evident, he;s got beatifull touch with his ball handling, quick response time, a nice turn of speed to make space.

He's got to time his leaps better, to bring the ball down with him & i'm sure this "coming into form" is just around the corner. He looks to be improving in confidence, & the rest will come.

Thanks for that, CB. :)

:angry: What is Newton's problem?! He could be the answer to our prayers. We need a forward now MORE THAN EVER. The way I see it, the next few weeks (3 - 4) are make or break for him (...although I fear he is contracted for a bit more than that!?)

CB or anyone that was at the game, does he actually show any skill or promise at all or still just attitude and arrogance?

From what i saw newton is playing a different role at casey had a moment of madness due to frustration worth a chance in future i was standing behind the bench and he was a bit aggro at things i didnt hear but looks more interested than usual

I don't see this as a bad thing in the short term as he is trying to change his ways. I'd rather see him trying to get more aggression into his game style & make judgement errors rather than playing soft non contact football. He'll learn to smooth out those mistakes @ Casey as he developes his game.

It was after all the lame impotent efforts of his past that left us all so disappointed. Let him have the time required to improve his stuff, because the potential win is big.

SCORPIONS GEL WELL by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions successfully rounded off their pre-season programme in wet and windy conditions at Casey Fields on Sunday with wins for both senior and reserves teams over Coburg.

In the main game the visitors opened with the breeze and were first to settle down scoring early goals thanks to the early dominance of their midfield led by former Richmond best and fairest winner Mark Coghlan.

The Scorpions struck back however, with John Messen rucking well and this allowed his on ballers to turn the tide. Up forward Russell Robertson, returning from injury was the centre of attention and he didn't let the crowd down. He flew high for a spectacular mark and goaled. Moments later Michael Newton goaled and soon after Robertson unselfishly passed to Newton for his second. Coburg's early start and its wind advantage had been nullified.

With the change of ends the Scorpions began to assert their dominance over the game. Meesen was now in control in the ruck duels and Shane Valenti, Addam Maric Kyle Matthews and rookie Jordie McKenzie were getting the ball first out of the middle. James Wall was taking marks around the ground and Queenslander Rohan Bail was winning possessions and giving plenty of drive off half back.

The hard work was finished off by some indigenous magic from Northern Territorians Liam Jurrah and Pierce Liddle. Casey enjoyed a five goal lead at the main break after keeping Coburg goalless for the second term.

The wind strengthened after the main break as Coburg lifted. There was more urgency in the Tigers' game and they went long and direct. The goals flowed and suddenly they were back in the contest and it was only when they hit the lead that Casey moved to regain some momentum. Lynden Dunn was working hard and he goaled followed by another to David Collins. But Coburg was using the win well and struck back to hold a four point lead at three quarter time.

Casey had the last use of the breeze and it was skipper Kyle Matthews who played a fantastic final quarter to bring his team home. Matthews threw himself in for the ball in a great display of leadership and his desperate goal in mid quarter sapped the opposition's resolve. Casey came home with a wet sail to win by 23 points.

It certainly appears as if Peter German has the new alignment gelling together well but the first true test will come with the start of the season proper on Sunday when the team kicks things off at Trevor Barker Oval in what promises to be a most interesting start to 2009.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Rohan Bail - accumulated a lot of the ball running off half back in the first half and, whilst a little quieter after half time did enough to convince me that he's not too far away.

Lynden Dunn - played well on the ball and impressed when he went forward where he finished off with a couple of goals. Threw himself into every contest as if he had something to prove to club selectors and should get the nod this week.

Liam Jurrah - a really special player who will bring excitement and magic to the game. Has a low centre of gravity, can distance himself from his opponent in a nanosecond and can fly for a mark (although he missed a few in the wet and windy conditions). A few weeks off yet but the wait is going to be worthwhile.

Addam Maric - clever and skilful, he wasn't really suited by the early heavy going but forced his way into the game as conditions improved. Had an excellent final quarter where he set up some great plays and probably worked his way into Melbourne's team for Port Adelaide next weekend.

Jordie McKenzie - a decent effort as an inside player but not as outstanding in past weeks. Still, an interesting prospect who should develop at Casey this year.

John Meesen - played the best game I've seen from him last week and was just as good this week. Won the hit outs, marked around the ground and showed out with good hands and was strong in contests. The big question mark is whether he can reproduce that sort of form at a higher level and I think we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Michael Newton - went far and wide for a kick and put in a solid performance scoring three goals for the day. Had a few brain fades but seems to be settling down well at Casey.

Russell Robertson - stepped straight into the role of the Robbo we know. Took a couple of hangers, kicked a goal, gave one or two away and would have pleased the club with his half a game plus 5 minute cameo in the third quarter before he called it a day. Should be back at Melbourne in 2 to 3 weeks.

Shane Valenti - got lots of the ball and was good in the clinches on a day that was tailor made for him. Did nothing however, to suggest he should be elevated off the rookie list at this stage.

Trent Zomer - solid for the second week as a defender. Zomer seems better suited there than in attack but will find it a bit of a struggle to replace any of the existing tall backs at Melbourne.

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 9.5.59 11.5.71 16.10.106

Coburg Tigers 4.2.26 4.5.29 11.9.75 12.11.83

Goals Newton 3, Dunn, Jurrah, Liddle 2, Collins, McLeod, Robertson, Silvagni, Stockdale, Valenti, Waite

Best Meeson, Bail, Liddle, Dunn, Wall, Matthews

And in the early game Casey had a comfortable win in the wet - 15.5.89 to 8.11.59.

Both Tom McNamara and Rhys Healey of the Demons got through the game after long lay offs with injury. The purpose was to get them into stride and they were nursed into the game and interchanged a fair bit. Both would be happy with the way they went - McNamara showing a bit of aggression at times and confronting his Coburg opponents with some strong play.