Colin Sylvia- Complaints, Congratulations and Comments

Don24

What kind of league keeps score for U9s :huh:

actually you might be amazed..not just scores in many instances but stats...the kids are REALLY into stats !! especially their own :lol:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually you might be amazed..not just scores in many instances but stats...the kids are REALLY into stats !! especially their own :lol:

Correct Bub. :P

And they read them off the footy cards. Whether they understand the significance of them,. But they are certainly aware.

My brother is an umpire and I coached a junior side last year.

Under 12s is the first age group where official scores are kept and imo it's a bit sad if you're keeping score at U9s

yes...god forbid youd remember that the whole point of the game is to out score your opponent s!! :unsure:

My brother is an umpire and I coached a junior side last year.

Under 12s is the first age group where official scores are kept and imo it's a bit sad if you're keeping score at U9s

That seems pretty weird to me. When I played footy as a kid, scores were kept from under 8s, i.e. the starting age for playing at a club, as well as there being a running ladder and finals etc. I know at a young age it's all about participation etc, but I don't see what's wrong with fostering a bit of competitive spirit in these kids. It adds to the experience when you get to feel the joy of a "win" (not that I played in many as a kid :lol: )

yes...god forbid youd remember that the whole point of the game is to out score your opponent s!! :unsure:

I wouldn't say U9s is about outscoring your opponents.

I'd say U9s is about

1. The kids enjoying themselves

2. Developing them as players for future years

It's when coaches become obsessed with winning that they stagnate, and even hinder team and player development

I'd say U9s is about

It's when coaches become obsessed with winning that they stagnate, and even hinder team and player development

theres a vast difference between acknowledging that the game is a scoring one and becoming obsessed with it.

Developing an U9 ? now whos getting obsesssive ?? lol bloody hell you give them all a go and try to teach them a few skills and let them get on with in.. Its a tad early to be whistfully thinking of the draft I would have thought :lol:

I would have thought "teaching them a few skills" would fall under development.

It's a bit sad when you come across an Under 15s side and half of them have only ever played the 1 position for 6 years, and they've never been shown half the basic skills you'd expect them to be taught as they first started playing football.

It's a bit sad when you come across an Under 15s side and half of them have only ever played the 1 position for 6 years, and they've never been shown half the basic skills you'd expect them to be taught as they first started playing football.

totally agree.. but thats nothing really to do with stats is it.

Stats only record whats transpired.. its up to the coach to 'construct ' his game.

Stats are nothing about poor coaching or obessing about winning.

In a fashion ..Stats are the 'messenger'...why shoot it ?

Back to it,

since his club suspension CS IMO has played the most consistant best football of his career so far. Long way off being our best but there appears to be a marked improvement in is attitude and application which is encouraging (Along with a few others). As HT pointed out he stood up in the last and even had a chance to put us really close. Its been a while since we have had a player take 2 or 3 really good contested marks in a row let alone when we needed it!

Much will be seen about his ( CS) character 'evolvement ' over the next few weeks as injuries will probably preclude his dropping and hopefully he wont become complacent . Will he avoid his old habits ?? time will tell

totally agree.. but thats nothing really to do with stats is it.

Stats only record whats transpired.. its up to the coach to 'construct ' his game.

Stats are nothing about poor coaching or obessing about winning.

In a fashion ..Stats are the 'messenger'...why shoot it ?

I have no problem with individual children who want their mum or dad to count how many kicks or keep scores.

Just disagree with team scores for both sides being recorded then paraded around.

...I also think it's worth noting that he was on shannon hurn yesterday. (i think might be wrong) for the first half. I think he really restricted his influence on the game. Hurn has an amazing kick and really gives west coast great drive from defense ...

One thing I saw in todays paper was that Morton won the metres gained with about 200m more than Davey, who was slightly behind Hurn (from memory ~720m, ~530m, ~520m). Didn't get to see the game though, so not sure when Hurn fired.

I'd say U9s is about

What you say [bolded] about U9s actually happens.

You clearly have not either attended or been involved in football at that level and it shows. Nothing like ignorance blocking out recognition for a supportve positive environment.

Which side is that? That clearly does not happen at a number of clubs and junior leagues i have been involved with. Its quite the opposite.

And by the way the skills taught are both sporting and about true sportsmanship.

I have no problem with individual children who want their mum or dad to count how many kicks or keep scores.

Just disagree with team scores for both sides being recorded then paraded around.

Once upon a time there lived a ........

Makes your reference to an U15 side uninformed and self serving.

Much will be seen about his ( CS) character 'evolvement ' over the next few weeks as injuries will probably preclude his dropping and hopefully he wont become complacent . Will he avoid his old habits ?? time will tell

BB, I don't think the past 3 weeks has put him in the 'thin ice' (dropped) basket. Far from it IMO. It's the fittest and strongest I've seen him. I'm sure everyone's surveillance of him will determine whether if he puts one foot wrong. Just hope the same surveillance from those on the case, can be implemented into the remaining 21 players that take the field over this 'time'.

Could we maybe take the important discussion of u9's / junior development to its own thread?

I think so too Trident. It can be called U9 and U15's development Issues (Keeping Score).

BB, I don't think the past 3 weeks has put him in the 'thin ice' (dropped) basket. Far from it IMO. It's the fittest and strongest I've seen him. I'm sure everyone's surveillance of him will determine whether if he puts one foot wrong. Just hope the same surveillance from those on the case, can be implemented into the remaining 21 players that take the field over this 'time'.

Thats a fair comment. We have all ( for the most part ) put Sylvia under the microscope. I would qualify that by saying he put himself there !!

I think quite a few others are getting a similar treatment but simply on form, not on form and demeanor.

The most annoying thing about Sylvia for many, i know it is for me is that he CAN play..ON his day he can play bloody good football but it has always , in hindsight, been the exception rather than the rule and I suppose given his fanfare just excpected it to be the norm not just on occasions when he thinks he might be in the gun's sights.

No he probably hasnt done himself any harm of late but he still doesnt seem to put a game together. In this light I would hope he is still of a mind to build upon his game and not rest on any laurels

...... I would qualify that by saying he put himself there !!

Fair point. I suppose it's up to him for the rest of this year at least - it seems - of when he can take himself out from the microscope lens. Same goes for this topic & thread too.

And BRFE might enjoy having a crack, but I doubt he disagrees too much with my views on Sylvia, Newton or Bate.

Dont enjoy having a crack just find your ignorance at your own bias frustrating. Two players could do the exact same piece of play and you would interpret it differently based on who they are ie: Newton v Robbo, Mclean v Sylvia.

My views on the three just for completeness sake:

Sylvia: Needs to reduce the gap between his disinterest for the contest (first half) and his ability to impact the game (would have put him in our best three second half). Reduce those and he will not be a star like we hoped but he could be a strong contributor.

Newton:He would still be getting a game for mine. Aside from three ugly shots on goal has looked our most effective forward (that is not saying much though). Has Robertson done more in 2 games than Newton did in his last 2 before being dropped? Anyone that says his defensive pressure is poor needs to seriously watch him play as it has improved substantially. Needs to improve his body work and brainfades but could still be an important cog in our forwardline and should be given opportunity to find if that is the case.

Bate: Am not really a fan and would have either of the above two in the firsts ahead of him. Not quite a KPF or mid. Poor below knees and laterally. Booming kick but takes forever to get it to boot and it falls away under pressure.

I don't think robbo has giving us a lot more than newton. The only problem i see is i don't think we can play both in the one side. Robbo's kicking is now an issue with not being able to kick 50 metres. Is newton can improve he will over take robbo!

Sylvia: Needs to reduce the gap between his disinterest for the contest (first half) and his ability to impact the game (would have put him in our best three second half). Reduce those and he will not be a star like we hoped but he could be a strong contributor.

Bate: Am not really a fan and would have either of the above two in the firsts ahead of him. Not quite a KPF or mid. Poor below knees and laterally. Booming kick but takes forever to get it to boot and it falls away under pressure.

Fair assessments on those two although I am not as sold on Newton as you are.