Yze_Magic returns with his best Demon 22

Yze_Magic

While it might be amusing to speculate about the make up of the team, I find it a useless exercise at this stage of the year. It's still January and we have a couple of months of pre season training, NAB Cup and practice matches to go before the selectors sit down to pick the team to play North in Round 1.

Time will tell but I'd like to go on record as saying that, barring injury, Cam Bruce will be in the 22 for that game and I doubt whether Garland will be the Colin on our forward line.

What this thread does show is that for the first time for a long while the first 22 will not pick itself because of injuries or possibly talent - it feels like there is some actual solid depth to select from and competition for spots.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest melbman

I'd like to see Garland up forward. He was briefly tried there last year during one game but with the dismal amount of ball in our 50 the results would have to still be an unknown

I haven't seen him as one of the forwards in training at Casey though, shame but.....

martin garland wheelan

buckley rivers bruce

morton mclean davey

bate miller sylvia

watts green aussie

johnson moloney dunn

the russian, jones, junior,maric

three talls down back with great run from half back with buckley and bruce. bruce`s dispossal is hopefully back to his 05\06 form, greatly underrated can shut down class players as well as rebound.

centre line is gold. recent photos of beamer show him looking massive, if he cant see a target he smashes the ball forward quickly inside 50 ( there is enough class there now to make things happen)

no secret ive had green pencilled in at full forward for some time now. he is class , kicking has dropped away slightly, remains gutsy , a great set of hands and a headache to match up on. while miller and bate are not a true chf , i like the idea of them floating around the forward 50, gives halfbacks and mids two lead up options when attacking, if need be one can push further up ground. watts and green to lead from square, aussie to do what aussie does best

B: WHELAN, WARNOCK, GARLAND

HB: GREEN, RIVERS, BUCKLEY

C: BRUCE, MCLEAN, DAVEY

HF: BATE, MILLER, MORTON

F: WATTS, ROBERTSON, WONAEAMIRRI

FOLL: JAMAR, SYLVIA, MCDONALD

IC: JONES, MOLONEY, BARTRAM, P.JOHNSON

EMERG: GRIMES, MARTIN, WHEATLEY

I'd like to see Garland up forward. He was briefly tried there last year during one game but with the dismal amount of ball in our 50 the results would have to still be an unknown

I haven't seen him as one of the forwards in training at Casey though, shame but.....

He also kicked 3 goals in a NAB Cup game V Geelong last year including a lovely 9 pointer.

I see Garland as a defender who can sometimes been switched to the forward line in a tight last qtr and kick a couple of goals.

I'm hoping he turns into a Nathan Bock.

As for YM, I don't believe for a second that he thinks Bruce isn't in our best 22. He's taking the [censored]. Bruce is Melbourne's best and most consistent player - right at the moment. whether we like it or not.

Guest Schtacker
He also kicked 3 goals in a NAB Cup game V Geelong last year including a lovely 9 pointer.

I see Garland as a defender who can sometimes been switched to the forward line in a tight last qtr and kick a couple of goals.

I'm hoping he turns into a Nathan Bock.

As for YM, I don't believe for a second that he thinks Bruce isn't in our best 22. He's taking the [censored]. Bruce is Melbourne's best and most consistent player - right at the moment. whether we like it or not.

I rate Bruce but Green, McLean and another 5 or 6 are clearly better. In fact I would probably pick about 10 others before him

Cameron Bruce isn't our best player, isn't our biggest impact player & isn't our best match-winning player... but he rolls out of bed & when he stands up he's already in the side. No doubt. At the moment.

Cameron Bruce isn't our best player, isn't our biggest impact player & isn't our best match-winning player... but he rolls out of bed & when he stands up he's already in the side. No doubt. At the moment.

meh, jimmy bartel isnt any of those things for geelong either (ablett is).

Guest Schtacker
please name the ten

McLean*

Morton*

Green*

PJ

Jones*

Garland

Davey*

Rivers *

Whelan

maybe one of Moloney, Sylvia, Martin, WATTS :D

If there was one spot left I would probably pick any one of them before Bruce TBH but I admit it has a bit to do with a desire to see young blokes getting a run ahead of those that won't be around when we are good again. Based on who is likely to play better in a match tomorrow I would only pick the * ones before him

'kay?

meh, jimmy bartel isnt any of those things for geelong either (ablett is).

yet bartel falls into the geelong side too.

You're not making my point, but you're not detracting from it either.

It is pretty funny that the same people who hate YM, give him exactly what he wants by responding to every one of his posts.

Do everyone else, and yourselves, a favour in future and don't write back! He doesn't get what he wants and we don't have to read your whingeing

Comrade YM.

Two points.

While I very much enjoyed your post, I don't like Garland at FF: he doesn't have the "bearing" of a forward to me.

Moreover, a prophet is not accepted in his own hometown. There is another amphitheatre where your talents are very much in demand - and nor are you forgotten.

When will there be a Third Coming?

Biffinator

McLean*

Morton*

Green*

PJ

Jones*

Garland

Davey*

Rivers *

Whelan

maybe one of Moloney, Sylvia, Martin, WATTS :D

If there was one spot left I would probably pick any one of them before Bruce TBH but I admit it has a bit to do with a desire to see young blokes getting a run ahead of those that won't be around when we are good again. Based on who is likely to play better in a match tomorrow I would only pick the * ones before him

'kay?

Bruce isnt my favourite player either but he is more skilled and diverse than Jones, Morton is a future superstar but isnt there yet regardless of last years stats and lets just see if Rivers can stay uninjuered..... regards Manwell

Guest Schtacker
Bruce: Kicks 3rd, H/B 1st, Disposals 1st, Marks 1st, Tackles 2nd.

Clearly, there are 5 or 6 better players given the above. ;) Not one of your better analyses, Schtacker. :lol:

Well it's not all about stats - half of those disposals went to the opposition. I would not be alone in suggesting McLean, Morton, Green, Jones, Rivers and Davey should all be named before him

Well it's not all about stats - half of those disposals went to the opposition. I would not be alone in suggesting McLean, Morton, Green, Jones, Rivers and Davey should all be named before him

Gee I guess the reigning B&F will probably be picked first in the position he will play. I cant see any of the above competing for his position and their selection is not necessarily impacted by Bruce's selection.

I glad its not about stats Shhtack because Davey would look very ordinary like his performances over recent years. If there is a player that is living off the fat of reputation and exploits of a couple of years ago amongst supporters its Davey. He needs to really perform this year.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Gee I guess the reigning B&F will probably be picked first in the position he will play. I cant see any of the above competing for his position and their selection is not necessarily impacted by Bruce's selection.

I glad its not abour stats Shhtack because Davey would look very ordinary like his performances over recent years. If there is a player that is living off the fat of reputation and exploits of a couple of years ago amongst supporters its Davey. He needs to really perform this year.

cuoldnt agree more, davey hasnt performed for a long time,it would be interesting to now how many BOGs hes got in the last 3yrs.

Few points

Best 22 - close but for positions no, maybe end of season but not now.

1/ Bruce- Reigning B+F, I believe in the best 5 at MFC is a walk up start. Like to see him on the wing or the middle this year.

2/ Garland is effectively untried as a forward yet he is named at FF. Unlikely, miller or newton at FF, green as a roughie.

3/ A lot of responses have Jnr not starting which I think is unlikely - the Cap will start more games on the ground then the bench.

4/ Steph martin is not be our best FB, he has only played a handful of games, garland is more likely here with martin to become a utility (back, ruck even forward) mostly likely off the bench if rivers stays fit.

5/ Simon Buckley has bulked up heaps, more likely to play in the mid then off half back, prob starting off the bench and changing with beamer.

6/ With miller at FF, bate is more likely as CHF.

7/ Wheatley has to be in the current best 22 and likely to play off HB

8/ PJ can't carry the rucks by himself so MJ has to be there at this stage

9/ see cale morton to go forward allowing a wing position to be opened for strauss/grimes

10/ flash - I can't decided where he fits best. IMO there is no room for him in the middle so we should see him deep in forward and thrown into the middle to get him into the game as required. Maybe changing with Maric.

Buckley, grimes and struass are the 3 imo that could become critical to our side in 09. Frawley, Pettard, Newton, Bell as the "fringe" players a couple of who will no doubt take their opportunities in 09 and cement a place.

i dont think strauss and grimes could "become critical" to our side this year considering they are both practically untried at AFL.

I don't want Cale Morton to go forward cos i recon he is more damaging on the wing utilising his engine and skills.

i dont think strauss and grimes could "become critical" to our side this year considering they are both practically untried at AFL.

I don't want Cale Morton to go forward cos i recon he is more damaging on the wing utilising his engine and skills.

Yeah, I like the idea of Morton on a wing, running all day. Throw Bate or Buckley on the opposite side fwiw