Is it too early??

beelzebub

Firstly I think Barry Predergast and his team have done quite a good job this year. Of course proof of pudding will come in time but I think our list is genuinely in the realms of a real team. I mean no disprespect to any past player but we were the travelling wounded come side show Bob family at times. Weve effectively turned over at least half the list in only two years. Ther are genuine reasons to be excited about the new inductees but I realise it will be a few years before the tables turn.

For many years I like many have scrounged the barrel each and every years end looking for morsels of hope to create a new optimism. I often knew I was kiddign myself but you need to do this oftenas a Melbourne supporter inorder to get through each season..and its end..and the new begiinings !! No more I feel. New zest ,speed and endurance enters the team. Some brillant prospects in the likes of Jurrah and Jetta.. McKenzie looks interesting...but despite all this we are forgetting ..possibly, the likes of watts...but even this glasses over the fact that the likes of Grimes hasnt had a real start.. Petterd is to bounce back. Johnson is coming along quite nicely. Green will surely find new verve now he's settled.

Weve all been rather perplexed at our lack of luck regarding the likes of Rivers and Moloney and the up and down-ness of many others..but they now all need to be onthe best efforts as there are many knocking onthe door to want to play.

A new home in the burbs for Summer.. a new dawn at our traditional home..and new optimism throughout the club that we WILL be back..not an if..but more a 'definitely' !!

I havent been this impressed with the club for many many years. Were getting serious about being a real player, not just a participant and also ran.

I was extemely skeptical about what migh thappen aften Jimmy stepped up but after talking to him and the likes of Cuddles and Schwabby and seeing the blood coursing through th clubagain I say to each and every one of you...hang on..the ride's aout to step up a gear or two. it will be a tad bumpy..but were going place; thank God for that!!

Am I alone in feeling the new optimism as real ? Am I still kidding myself ? I dont expect miracles. I dont think we'll be top eight evennext year.. but a genuine niner knocking , ne...banging on the door seems a tantalising prospect.

We dont need any more priority picks.. we dont need any more give away games.. Weve got a list that ought to with dilligence and effort play decent footy.

I cant wait..roll on 09 !!

Go Dees

Thanks to all at the MFC ...it feels different now.. It feels right :)

Add the potential of McNamara, Cheney, Spencer and who knows even Newton and Zomer(maybe a longshot but with the right application and coaching, who knows) Hopefullu we'll sign up to the G soon and off we go. As for 09, I'd say development year at best and think we'll be close to the bottom again. 2010 - 2016 look extremely exciting. 3 words for the club at the start of 09 Leadership, Optimism and PASSION, sure beats the rabble we had at the end of 07. Go you mighty Demons!

Too right. What a great read that was... player wise its good to see some pace and skill been injected into the engine room something we lacked last year. Especailly when we were turning the ball over so often, that extra pace will help create more defensive pressure eg chasing. Let alone offensively. My only worry is i still think we lack genuinely hard at it tough midfielders. Yes we have mclean,jones,mcdonald and moloney. But mclean and moloney are injury prone and not on the field enough. Jones lacks pace and skill and Mcdonald is getting past his best and lacks pace. Look at the great sides of the last couple years Hawthorn and Geelong and there midfielders all have pace, skill and toughness. We need to be drafting people with all three qualities or at the least 2 with toughness being as essential. As did Hawthorn there last 4 years. Toughness in terms of hardness at the ball is what won Hawthorn the grandfinal against Geelong. Not Buddy Franklin or Roughead. Players such as Hodge,Mitchell,Lewis,Brown,Croad. All putting there bodies on the line for the team. So if mclean and moloney are injuired this year again and something happens to jones. Who are our in and under players going to be? getting the ball out to Strauss and Blease?Buckley?Jetta?Morton?Bruce?Davey? We need more players who never lose a 50-50 contest, and love bleeding for the team.

Off the field i couldnt be any happier with what the football club is doing. The way they are reaching out to the members and giving everyone a voice is terrific. Bring on 2009!

how can you regard jetta as a 'brilliant prospect'? he was pick 51 in the national draft. the odds are stacked against him.

sadly, we need 2 top 5 draft picks (which we may indeed get) next year to complete our rebuilding phase.

players that will be in our team well down the track (in my opinion) are maric, petterd, strauss, watts, martin, blease, morton, wonaeamirri, buckley, mclean, jones, newton. I'm very happy with these 12 players. I've always rated newton and buckleys ability to find the ball is first class, disposal is not great..but a hell of a lot better than bate's and jones'.

how can you regard jetta as a 'brilliant prospect'? he was pick 51 in the national draft. the odds are stacked against him.

sadly, we need 2 top 5 draft picks (which we may indeed get) next year to complete our rebuilding phase.

players that will be in our team well down the track (in my opinion) are maric, petterd, strauss, watts, martin, blease, morton, wonaeamirri, buckley, mclean, jones, newton. I'm very happy with these 12 players. I've always rated newton and buckleys ability to find the ball is first class, disposal is not great..but a hell of a lot better than bate's and jones'.

Personally if you rate Newton I think BB has every right to call Jetta a brilliant prospect. Personally I think he's closer to the truth, although I too live in hope that Newton will pull his finger out and commit his talents to football.

good mark, good kick, great leap. dont see why he hasnt been given a better go personally. defensive pressure is over-rated as a forward. fevola and richo never do jack-all defensive pressure(unless angry by a bad umpires decision) and they are the face of their respective clubs. If i was coaching he would have kicked 40 goals last year.

If the enthusiasm shown about our list will transfer in Melbourne Memberships then we as a club are finally turning things around financially

There is plenty of UPSIDE in the players selected

I am really glad we didnt fill our list with recycled NQR players

Remember we have high hopes on the players we selected last year

The hard work is ahead of us but there seems to be a lot of good decisions being made about our future

To those who are barrackers then consider what being a member means

One proud demon

Your happy with Newton? Why?

For many years I like many have scrounged the barrel each and every years end looking for morsels of hope to create a new optimism.

I havent been this impressed with the club for many many years. Were getting serious about being a real player, not just a participant and also ran.

I too am optimistic, but I have to say that all this talk of not being this excited for years is off the mark for me.

In 200 we made the grand final and then collapsed the next year.

In 2002 we were only a KPP or 2 shgort of being a real contender for the premiership.

In 2004, when Davey and Rivers had breakthrough debut years, Ratten was coaching a dominant midfield and we were near the top of the table mid-year, I was just as optimistic.

The following couple of years we should have finished top 4. Remember at one stage we were apparently, according to a former great, the best melbourne team since the 1964 premiership side. And even leading into last year (2007), we were touted as a potential premiership threat.

We have not been a basket case for years, nor have we never had such reason to get excited. I'm not saying we shouldn't be right now, I'm just saying that people have pretty short memories. I do think we are on the right track and I am excited. Only I'm not really more excited than I was each of those years.

I think the structure we are putting in place is much better than the years I am talking about. But none of it is proven just yet. All of our drafting and planning is still speculative and hopeful and nowhere near as advanced as Daniher's well-performing teams of the earlier part of this decade.

Just some food for thought.

Am I still kidding myself ? I dont expect miracles. I dont think we'll be top eight evennext year.. but a genuine niner knocking , ne...banging on the door seems a tantalising prospect.

Maybe a little. I don't see that we deserve to be rated above 5-6 other sides atm.

It's interesting that the passion of Stynes and co. has rubbed off on you.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, how much have they actually achieved so far?

Anyway, speaking broadly, I think many people share your enthusiasm for the Club atm.

I havn't felt like this about the Melbourne Football Club since 1994, and even that very good team didn't have the depth of playing talent that we seem to have garnered over the last couple of years. Of course, we still have to fully realise the potential on our list, but I have a feeling that we will look back on the recruitment of Bails, and the drafts of '07 and '08, as pivotal to the re-birth of the Melbourne Football Club as a genuine power in the AFL. Similarly, the arrival of Jimma and his new Board are starting to make inroads into the off-field stuff that is critical to success and longevity. We need to remember that all clubs have made an enormous leap forward in the last decade, but I'm very confident that we are catching the pack, and that there is genuine cause for optimism around the Melbourne Footy Club. Go Demons!

............... I think the structure we are putting in place is much better than the years I am talking about...........

Exactly Pringle, and I think that's what has many of us pretty excited.

I dont think we are/were really as bad as we played at times.. we didnt gel. we had old ways /v/ new ways. There was angst..was friction was resistance to change. That simply cant exist now.

I am excited about the likes of Jetta..hes got something.. You either can see it or you dont. whether it can translate to the lofty climes of AFL..time will tell. Im extremely disappointed with Juice..but he better be watching over his shoulder....possibly Watts and Jurrah will make him yesterdays man very quickly ..he better buck up !!

I dont think some of you actually see the game for what it is sometimes..its all reactive. You play as you can with what you have agaisnt what presents. There were glimmers last year..Few..far too few..but they were there.

Yes, I agree...am surpised as any that the infection of Stynes is rubbing off. But truly its more than him. Those at teh summit would understand perfectly..theres something afoot at teh G.. The Des are back..theres a hunger..a determination...and a reality. A STARK reality..we either DO..or fail.. we either DO..or cease to be relevant..we either DO.... or perish. When they are the choices its amazing what results.

Probably the most intersting aspect for me in many ways is that I was constantly waiting and expecting the 'plan' from Jim...and yet strangely enough ....WE are the plan..we the club..we the members..we the collective. ( rather Borg like..lol )

Cuddles and Schwabby and Jimma arent there to look pretty...just as well !!..they're there to succeeed or go down trying.

Hypothetically..if you were to put us at say..10th....who are the clubs you would place at 9 8 7 6 5 ..and why ? Dont buy into their hype..why??. We now have quite a young fit team.. albeit with some lightweights but the pedigree of talent is there. I seriously think some might be surprised at or results next year.

I concede I place some value in the X factor.. the unexplianed..the unqualifiable..our future is OUT there..and it aint half bad. we're no longer nomads.. We aren't the gormless homelss waifs of the competition any more. Yes we may muck it up some next year..but we'll be 200% more competitive. We werent that far behinfd the premiers in the second game.

I think we're OK.. a couple of years and we're playing finals again..and for keeps !! :)

good mark, good kick, great leap. dont see why he hasnt been given a better go personally. defensive pressure is over-rated as a forward. fevola and richo never do jack-all defensive pressure(unless angry by a bad umpires decision) and they are the face of their respective clubs. If i was coaching he would have kicked 40 goals last year.

I severely doubt that.

If Barrassi, Sheedy, Malthouse or Matthews were coaching him, they wouldn't have made him do that. Don't know what makes you think you could.

Yes, I agree...am surpised as any that the infection of Stynes is rubbing off. But truly its more than him. Those at teh summit would understand perfectly

I think your attitude on these forums pre and post-summit are pretty distinct - the 'infection' is there for all to see ;)

Probably the most intersting aspect for me in many ways is that I was constantly waiting and expecting the 'plan' from Jim...and yet strangely enough ....WE are the plan..we the club..we the members..we the collective. ( rather Borg like..lol )

However, it is a little ironic that you're now full of the same verve that those you criticised for their excitement with the Stynes ascension exhibited :P

Hypothetically..if you were to put us at say..10th....who are the clubs you would place at 9 8 7 6 5 ..and why ? Dont buy into their hype..why??. We now have quite a young fit team.. albeit with some lightweights but the pedigree of talent is there. I seriously think some might be surprised at or results next year.

I think that most teams deserve to be ranked above us.

While I expect an improved on-field performance in '09 we're still going to be blooding youngsters and relying on inexperienced kids in important positions.

We don't have a strong group of players aged at their peak, and our remaining senior players are probably past their best (McDonald, Bruce, Robertson, et al.).

I'm looking forward to '09, but don't see that there's a strong case for us to be ranked towards the middle of the ladder.

Any enthusiasm generated by our most recent bunch of draftees should probably be bottled for at least a year.

I think your attitude on these forums pre and post-summit are pretty distinct - the 'infection' is there for all to see ;)

However, it is a little ironic that you're now full of the same verve that those you criticised for their excitement with the Stynes ascension exhibited :P

actually all I ever asked for was a 'how and why'.. it seems the question was a little rhetorical. Ive asked him to his face..am happy enough at the moment with his intent and method

why.. its a new season..we're better equiped..why should all be ranked above us ?? ..id say there's 4 or 5 who are stand outs.. then maybe half a dozen who are similar..the rest is a raffle. No reason we cant be in amongst it under the 8

happy to hear why we arent

It will take 4 years minimum in my opinion to be genuan contenders of a flag. Were going in the right direction but it will take longer than everyone thinks. these kids will take at least 2 years to be at a great stage and we need ruckman, a FB and more kids to fill depth before we can start getting too excited. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel

We dont need any more priority picks.

Great post, but disagree with this point.

We need to suck up a 4-18 season, in order to get picks and 1 and 2 in the National draft next year. We need to get the best forward and midfielder available, and that will officially complete the rebuild.

We clearly dont have a list that is good enough to play finals. At best we'll win 6 or 7 games but still finish 13th or 14th and miss out on awesome draft picks. I don't see the point, and I'm wondering if the MFC coaching staff agree??

2010, is when we'll make a play for the 8.

easy. i would have played him every game in 2007 and every game in 2008, instead of playing him, then dropping him, then calling him back up again, then throwing him back down.

Its no wonder you cant work out why Newton cant cut it as a forward with your naive assessment above yet you have wasted so many posts on the condemnation of Miller. Your alignment of Newton with Fevola and Richo is as bizarre as those painting Valenti in the mould of Greg Williams.

Both Richo and Fevola are elite footballer/athletes who are not the sharpest tacks around and have at times let their egos go beyond their responsibility on the ground. But over a significant period of time, when they do play well there standard of football is at times elite and their defensive pressure and contesting is good.

Newton has none of these elite skills and has an playing attitude that too often is as soft as an egg. His potential has been recognised for some time but his lack of willingness to work hard at his game in the VFL/AFL raises a question of where he is at as a footballer. He has some core issues around application and attitude that needs to be addressed if he is to make any headway in AFL. His so called in and out role in the side reflects how many life lines he has been given and how many he has routinely blown. Given the demise of Neitz the stage and opportunity was set for Newton. He blew it big time and guess who took his place and performed credibly in that role? Brad Miller. In fact Millers attitude and attack on the ball is exactly what Newton needs to learn.

Newton was given a 2 year contract this season. Its his last chance to show he has what it takes. Even one sharp writer has said that the Jurrah recruitment could be the jolt Newton needs.....Maybe.

While I expect an improved on-field performance in '09 we're still going to be blooding youngsters and relying on inexperienced kids in important positions.

We don't have a strong group of players aged at their peak, and our remaining senior players are probably past their best (McDonald, Bruce, Robertson, et al.).

I'm looking forward to '09, but don't see that there's a strong case for us to be ranked towards the middle of the ladder.

Any enthusiasm generated by our most recent bunch of draftees should probably be bottled for at least a year.

Completely agree.

Yeah, agree with these sentiments particularly about the 2 more picks inside the top 5... but maybe with some aspects of the Juice paradox I don't share your enthusiasm. I reckon he's got talent, but so do so many others. There's a lot standing in his way in this regard, and to be honest even if he does put it together and kick 40 in a season, I'll always be worried he might return to mediocrity.

Bub... I have to say, I don't share the SAME enthusiasm as you. There's SO much more yet to be seen from these players. ANd just because the Grimes types who haven't even gotten their start look promising, it doesn't mean they'll come on the way we want. If HALF our young players mature to be decent footballers, then that's still not a complete team. I want to see 6 bona-fide stars of the game in red and blue. For the Cats it's Bartel, Ablett, Scarlett, Corey and on other days any one of Mooney, Milburn and a host of others. For the Hawks it's Hodge, Buddy, Birchall, Sewell, Mitchell, then guys like Croad, Rioli, Williams, Roughie...

We have Watts who looks a likely type... McLean perhaps. Then there's some forgotten players who showed a lot once upon a time but who have serious question marks. Guys like Moloney and Rivers are in this group. But we're a long way off having the full premiership threatening list...

Wrong wrong Wrong.. "Defensive pressure is over-rated as a forward" thats a joke, and a very ignorant football statement, tell that to Aaron Davey who made it fashionable.

The reason Why Newton wasnt given a go, is because he had the attitude of a spoilt kid, played like a bloke drinking champagne on a beer budget. If he gets back to basics, then he might have a shot. As it stands he is No where near it!

Wrong wrong Wrong.. "Defensive pressure is over-rated as a forward" thats a joke, and a very ignorant football statement, tell that to Aaron Davey who made it fashionable.

The reason Why Newton wasnt given a go, is because he had the attitude of a spoilt kid, played like a bloke drinking champagne on a beer budget. If he gets back to basics, then he might have a shot. As it stands he is No where near it!

I agree totally, I was a big fan end of 07, he has moutains of potential but is yet to deliver consistant performances. At this stage I hope he comes up but really have my reservations. The only thing in his defense was the way the ball was coming in last year, when we got the ball in quick and hit him lace out it looked good, but he needs to find the ball a bit more.

I thought his defensive pressure had improved by the end of the year (Not saying it was up to scratch, but it looked like he was atleast trying harder). If Jurrah comes on I think Newton could struggle for a game while miller is #1. (I see watts as a utility HFF type player early)

......We've got a list that ought to with dilligence and effort play decent footy.

I cant wait..roll on 09 !!

Go Dees

Thanks to all at the MFC ...it feels different now.. It feels right :)

Whilst I share your thoughts with the feeling at the Summit, and the significant changes within the playing list for '09, the proof will be in the pudding so to speak once the ball is bounced. Our last 3 games of the '08 season were well short of the mix of clubs outside the top 8. Ie. Richmond, Port Adelaide. A new look team may take the field with new enthusiasm, but they still need games under their belts and their will be much more inexperienced players than last season. I can't see Mfc getting higher than 14th position TBTH. Pleasantly surprised if we do though :) .

:lol: You should nominate freak for the next goalkicking coach!!!!

NOT.

easy. i would have played him every game in 2007 and every game in 2008, instead of playing him, then dropping him, then calling him back up again, then throwing him back down.

:lol:

Exactly right forward defensive pressure is vital to a teams success. When fev is playing his best footy it is when his chasing and harrasing. you obviosuly didnt see much of fev this year. Also the two players you mentioned are in bottom 8 sides. So even if they are the stars of there side and kicking bags of goals it hasnt helped there team by applying no defensive pressure. If davey has to chase and tackle so does every other player in the side!