• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Pre season training invitees

dazzledavey36

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we any chance of drafting Bennell's brother John to our rookie list?

John Bennell is 174cm and weighs 71kg. Sounds like an ideal candidate. :rolleyes:

In answer to how many rookie picks we have available I think we're allowed six rookies if our main list has 40 players (including 2 veterans). We have Jake Spencer, Shane Valenti and Trent Zomer which means we can pick 3 rookies.

Would have thought Alpha would be all over this by now

As WJ said, we have three "live" picks in the rookie draft along with our single selection in the PSD. Here's a lst of who's available based on Inside Football's November Draft Special Lift Out:

PLAYERS FROM INSIDE FOOTBALL’S COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE DRAFT BUT NOT DRAFTED IN THE NATIONAL DRAFT (The players in this list were all invited to the National Draft Camp):

Tom Allwright 185/83 (TAS)

Bryce Carroll 184/72 (WJ)

Lance Daly 191/78 (WA) *

Matt Deboer 187/85 (WA)

Taylor Gilchrist 189/72 (SD)

Michael Gugliotta 194/82 (NT)

Tom Hill 198/79 (NK) *

Kade Klemke 180/78 (MB)

Zach Ledin 181/74 (GF)

Matthew Martin 196/100 (SA)

Sam McGarry 186/77 (SD)

Dylan McNeil 178/77 (MB) *

Riley Milne 192/78 (MB)

Clancee Pearce 183/85 (WA)

Ian Richardson 180/75 (WA)

Tom Rockliff 183/83 (MB)

Zach Sengstock 191/85 (SD)

Charlie Sharples 180/74 (SA)

James Sheahan 178/73 (MB)

Casey Sibosado 191/85 (OC/NT)

Tom Simpkin 190/81 (GF)

Adam Varcoe 184/64 (SA)

* ineligible for PSD or Rookie Draft

PLAYERS FROM INSIDE FOOTBALL’S ADDITIONAL LIST OF "SOME MORE LIKELY TYPES" BUT NOT DRAFTED IN THE NATIONAL DRAFT

Reece Adams 180/80 (WA)

Jonathon Beech 189/82 (SA)

Ben Birthisel 191/87 (MB)

Jaryd Blair 172/70 (GP)

Callan Bond 188/84 (WA)

Tyler Brimacombe 189/79 (SA)

Greg Broughton 182/80 (WA)

Andrew Browne 202/106 (MB)

Mitch Clisby 180/75 (SA)

Adam Cockie 180/84 (WA)

Jamason Daniels 182/77 (MB)

Tyson Davis-Neale 186/80 (SA) *

Cory Dellilio 180/78 (WA)

Andrew Duhau 183/73 (CC)

James Farrell 187/81 (WA)

Tristan Francis 181/77 (GP)

Steven Gaertner 198/88 (DS)

Tom German 178/77 (CC)

Kane Goodwin 181/82 (WA)

Xavier Gotch 175/71 (OC)

Patrick Hayes 194/80 (CC)

Sam Hughes 177/66 (GF)

Dylan Joyce 174/70 (CC)

Jason Linke 188/79 (NBR)

Anthony Long 188/75 (NT) *

Brad Mangan 185/83 (MB) *

Brayden O'Hara 180/81 (SA)

Joel Palumbo 178/75 (WA)

Aaron Purves 187/82 (DS)

Hamish Paynter 179/77 (NK)

Peter Rolfe 182/81 (SA)

Tom Salter 182/80 (TAS)

Hamish Shepherd 195/80 (WA)

Luke Thompson 192/85 (GF) *

Jay Van Berlo 184/80 (WA)

Dale Walker 188/82 (ER)

Bryn Weadon 185/88 (NBR)

Matt Welborn 180/75 (WA)

Jack Weston 189/91 (GP) *

* ineligible for PSD or Rookie Draft

Plenty of potential invitees in that lot although I understand that a few Bushies have been invited to different clubs - Rockliff (Port Adelaide), Milne (Hawthorn)and strawberry haired ruckman Browne and defender Klemke (Richmond). Of course, it doesn't matter who they're training with, we're in a good position to trump two of these clubs because of our positioning at the head of the two drafts on 16 December.

The only official invitees at Melbourne are the two listed on afl.com.au before the national draft - Danny Hughes and Shane Tregear.

I always feel sorry to those that miss out, expecially if thye see their names touted as good prospects. I know all is not lost for them, but it's a bitter pill to swallow for them!!

So these are the tall blokes (ie hopefully KPP or ruck) that are eligible:

Draft camp invitees:

Michael Gugliotta 194/82 (NT)

Matthew Martin 196/100 (SA)

Riley Milne 192/78 (MB)

Zach Sengstock 191/85 (SD)

Casey Sibosado 191/85 (OC/NT)

Tom Simpkin 190/81 (GF)

Other:

Ben Birthisel 191/87 (MB)

Andrew Browne 202/106 (MB)

Steven Gaertner 198/88 (DS)

Patrick Hayes 194/80 (CC)

Hamish Shepherd 195/80 (WA)

Sibosado & Gugliotta have been discussed elsewhere & sound like good prospects.

I remember reading about Sengstock sometime ago, comes from a great sporting pedigree, plays as a tall defender.

Gaertner & Browne appear to be the only two beanpoles.

Anybody know anything about the other talls available?

And can someone enlighten me as to all the interest in Rockliff? He seems like an in-between-size forward with no particularly special qualities or am I missing something?

We want Simpkin or Sibosado....... FACT!

and nowadays it costs money to have someone train with you..... as we are strapped you might find that we dont have anyone train with us but we will go the cheap option and watch players like (i hope Simpkin and sibosado) from over the fence at other clubs......

maybe not though.... we will see.....

oh and gugliotta not hard enough at the contest

prefer not to have another cam bruce thanks!!!!

Yeah... Cos Cam Bruce has been a terrible player for MFC, hasn't he? Yup... I'd much rather a kid that never gets a game than a B&F winner who's played hundreds of them...

Can you join the recruiters please? I'm sure you'll recommend we go for one of Altona's under 18 netball squad for our first pick next season.

prefer not to have another cam bruce thanks!!!!

Despite using an alias YM inadvertantly signs one of his posts again ;)

Yeah... Cos Cam Bruce has been a terrible player for MFC, hasn't he? Yup... I'd much rather a kid that never gets a game than a B&F winner who's played hundreds of them...

Can you join the recruiters please? I'm sure you'll recommend we go for one of Altona's under 18 netball squad for our first pick next season.

:lol: Hey - you got something against Altona's u/18 netball squad, or what?! :lol:

Yeah we all know how accurate your sources are

Correct. Example: N.Naitanui.

Despite using an alias YM inadvertantly signs one of his posts again ;)

So he can get his C.Bruce fix.

It seems that you have to just about be a Rhode's Scholar to understand the rookie requirements. With two veterans on our list and us comitting to paying 92.5% of the salary cap, it depends on whether or not we need to put Robbo and Junior inside, or is that outside, the list. It makes no difference to us as the money we pay them is the same, but if we need to claim the rebate ( 50% from the first, and 33% from the second, I think ) to technically get within the 92.5% of the salary cap, we lose a rookie spot for each veteran that is inside, or outside, the list.

This is why the clubs had to put in the list lodgement 3 before the rookie draft so that the calculation of the number of rookies that they could select could be made.

Does anybody know what the final prognostication was as regards the number of possible rookies that we can select? Wasn't the last list lodgement yeaterday?

It seems that you have to just about be a Rhode's Scholar to understand the rookie requirements. With two veterans on our list and us comitting to paying 92.5% of the salary cap, it depends on whether or not we need to put Robbo and Junior inside, or is that outside, the list. It makes no difference to us as the money we pay them is the same, but if we need to claim the rebate ( 50% from the first, and 33% from the second, I think ) to technically get within the 92.5% of the salary cap, we lose a rookie spot for each veteran that is inside, or outside, the list.

This is why the clubs had to put in the list lodgement 3 before the rookie draft so that the calculation of the number of rookies that they could select could be made.

Does anybody know what the final prognostication was as regards the number of possible rookies that we can select? Wasn't the last list lodgement yeaterday?

This is the full list as per the afl.com.au site. As you can see there is room for one more senior list player and three more rookies. The Oracle is writing an article for Demonland about the changes to the list so far and it should be on the site by the weekend.

MELBOURNE

1. Bail, Rohan

2. Bartram, Clint

3. Bate, Matthew

4. Bell, Daniel

5. Bennell, Jamie

6. Blease, Sam

7. Bruce, Cameron

8. Buckley, Simon

9. Cheney, Kyle

10. Davey, Aaron

11. Dunn, Lynden

12. Frawley, James

13. Garland, Colin

14. Green, Brad

15. Grimes, Jack

16. Jamar, Mark

17. Jetta, Neville

18. Johnson, Paul

19. Jones, Nathan

20. Maric, Addam

21. Martin, Stefan

22. McDonald, James (veteran – outside list)

23. McLean, Brock

24. McNamara, Tom

25. Meesen, John

26. Miller, Brad

27. Moloney, Brent

28. Morton, Cale

29. Newton, Michael

30. Petterd, Ricky

31. Rivers, Jared

32. Robertson, Russell (veteran – outside list)

33. Strauss, James

34. Sylvia, Colin

35. Warnock, Matthew

36. Watts, Jack

37. Wheatley, Paul

38. Whelan, Matthew

39. Wonaeamirri, Austin

Rookie List

1. Spencer, Jake

2. Valenti, Shane

3. Zomer, Trent

ADDITIONS

Father-Son selection: –

Exchange period – received: –

Rookie elevation: Austin Wonaeamirri

Scholarship elevation: –

NAB AFL Draft: Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt), Jamie Bennell (Swan Districts), Sam Blease (Eastern Ranges), Neville Jetta (Swan Districts), James Strauss (Oakleigh Chargers), Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons)

International rookie selection: –

Three-year non-registered player selection: –

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft:

NAB AFL Rookie Draft:

DELETIONS

Retired: Ben Holland, David Neitz (veteran – outside list)

Exchange period – traded: –

Delisted: Jace Bode, Nathan Carroll (second list lodgment), Chris Johnson, Isaac Weetra, Jeff White (veteran – inside list), Adem Yze (veteran – outside list)

There is another page on the AFL site that says that the lists provided are provisional. The AFL has to verify the Total Player Payments of each club to enable the rookie calculation to be made. Also, looking at the other clubs, the seems to be no rhyme or reason as to the number of rookies that they seem to be allowed.

Yes it was, there is also a full team lists available on the AFL website. You might notice on the team lists that some teams are allowed more rookies then others, this is due to not having veterans, zonal rookies for sydney & brisbane, etc. Rhodes Scholar's will struggle to find reasoning with these lists. Team Lists here

I've also heard that we've got Sam O'Sullivan from Oakleigh Chargers/Xavier College training with us. He mainly has played on a wing, has above average skills and some pace, does very well at clearances. Didn't play much TAC this year due to commitments with Xavier, but got in the best twice from 6 games. Wouldn't be first on my list, but he's one who hasn't been sighted much unless you get down to watch school footy, they might see something in him as a rookie pick.