WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - JAMES STRAUSS

Demonland

Welcome to Demonland - JAMES STRAUSS

2008 Championship highlights -

Oakleigh Chargers / Scotch College

14/6/90, 185.2cm, 81.8kgs

James is an athletic and agile midfielder who reads the play well.

A versatile player who can play in any position, he has excellent foot skills and is a good decision-maker.

He was part Vic Metro’s title winning team, playing all five matches. His running game was a feature, ranking highly for handballs received and inside 50s.

His was among Vic Metro’s best in their big win over Tasmania gathering 15 possessions.

James played 10 matches with the Oakleigh Chargers in 2008 averaging 23 possessions per match and 10 handball receives.

He was at his best in the Chargers’ final round against eventual premiers Murray Bushrangers amassing 31 disposals – his running game again on show with 17 handball receives.

James attended the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp at the AIS and was the third ranked player overall in the agility test and in the top seven percent for the repeat sprint test.

Q&A

Who have been your key influences? Probably my family. My parents who have driven me to and from footy training and always encouraged me. Rohan Welsh at Oakleigh has also had a big influence on me.

Which AFL players do you watch or model yourself on? Robert Harvey and Simon Black for their hardness at the footy, their competitiveness and work rate.

What would your coaches and teammates say your strengths are? My athleticism and use of the football – my kicking ability.

Where do you play your best football? Off the half-back line.

Kevin Sheehan afl.com.au

Welcome to Demonland - JAMES STRAUSS

I'm sure that this will be flashed somewhere else, including a more comprehensive wrap, but here's what they're showing about him on the AFL Draft Tracker

BIO

Athletic and agile midfielder who reads the play well and has good skills by foot. Ranked equal fourth in the 30m repeat sprints, highlighting his suitability for a midfield role at AFL level. His 2.98secs for 20m confirmed his speed. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2008 who attended Scotch College.

STATS

Kicks: 7, Handballs: 6, Disposals: 13, Marks: 2, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

Sounds good! Speed :)

here's a writeup from the bigfooty phantom draft on James Strauss...

Selection 18 - West Coast - James Strauss - Oakleigh Chargers - 185cm, 82kgs

WCE have a healthy list of ball winners and inside mids, and now should be looking to some quick, highly skilled users of the ball.

Fortunately the next on my best available list also fits one of WCE's identified needs. Strauss is an elite user of the ball, and for hitting a moving target by foot I rate him the best in the draft. Best suited across half back or on a wing. Is disciplined and will stick to a defensive job, but reads the play well and will run off his opponent and create. This is where you want him on the end of a Masten or Kerr handball give and hitting up a JK or McKinley on a lead. Any sides forwards would love him delivering the ball inside 50. His speed is good enough (2.98) and his agility and movement through traffic is also very good.

Probably bit of a surprise to WCE fans on the Western seaboard, on his exposed form in the champs he mightn't look like a top 20 pick on the surface. But his form in the TAC and school footy was also very consistent, and his kicking skills came to the fore in the TAC finals on a blustery day at Visy Park when he was about the only bloke out of 44 who could consistently hit targets by foot.

Looks good.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3WtWm0alJcY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCfk8EHDDko&...feature=related

Love his delivery of the ball to blease and watts!

All played for Vic Metro! no go home factor here. To tell you the truth, i was definatley expecting Swift, Shoenmakers or Mckernan with this pick.

Shoenmakers - Maybe third tall maybe kpp

Swift - Injuries make him a gamble

Mckernan - not quite tall enough for ruck, not quite right for kpp

Strauss - Smart Choice.

Good pick up! Surprised we passed on Swift twice, but I'm not going to complain about getting Strauss!

This kid has great skills, backs himself and runs with it, and reads the play well. He will be a gun. And apparently he went to my old school! So I claim him as my boy!

He'll be a midfielder, but he may start off on the HBF, as his run from there has worked wonders for Vic Metro, and he often takes the kick outs. Wouldnt be surprised if he stayed on the HBF, but I'd like him to be a midfielder as he has great delivery into 50 (how many times has he gifted Watts goals!) and reads the play well.

Great pick up Dees. Lets go Strauss my boy!

Welcome to the club :D

Good pick up! Surprised we passed on Swift twice, but I'm not going to complain about getting Strauss!

This kid has great skills, backs himself and runs with it, and reads the play well. He will be a gun. And apparently he went to my old school! So I claim him as my boy!

He'll be a midfielder, but he may start off on the HBF, as his run from there has worked wonders for Vic Metro, and he often takes the kick outs. Wouldnt be surprised if he stayed on the HBF, but I'd like him to be a midfielder as he has great delivery into 50 (how many times has he gifted Watts goals!) and reads the play well.

Great pick up Dees. Lets go Strauss my boy!

Welcome to the club :D

good school, what year?

He can kick AND handball AND outrun his opponent... he is officially our new God! :D

I love that he and Watts already have a good working relationship and understanding on the field, I think it will be a big advantage for them both and it's always great when you come into a new environment and you can share that experience with a mate. Don't underestimate how important that will be to their development and fast-tracking.

good school, what year?

03 mate. Just like another poster here who I shall not name and shame :P

Good point also Jaded about Strauss, Watts and Blease all playing together already. They'd already be friends and know each other well, so it's good they've come to the club lke that. If you watch Strauss' youtube highlights you will notice him hitting Watts up a fair few times, and even Blease too :P

Really excited about this kid. He has an elite kick, which not many in our current team do unfortunately. That's all about to change though. Strauss is exactly what we need in our midfield. A guy who gets the ball, takes off, and delivers a 50m spear pass down the throat of Watts :D Or if we need him too, take the kick outs and give us run off the HBF like Wojinski does for Geelong.... except with a good kick on the end :P

Cant wait to see him in tearing through the middle corridor in red n blue!

Good point also Jaded about Strauss, Watts and Blease all playing together already.

Very excited about this too, Watts mentioned in his post-ND interview that he was good mates with Blease and Strauss. Bennell & Jetta have played together and are apparently mates also & add to that Bail's a Mt Gravett boy, thats 6 kids that all have some sort of connection with at least one other Demon, maybe its just a coincedence but you'd think it can only be a good thing.

It's great to hear that our players are welcoming the new draftees. Jack Watts said that he got a call from Robbo on his way to the draft on Saturday as well.

He'll be a brave boy to take on the number 9. Huge shoes to fill.

Yep also Morton went over 2 Watts' (pun intended) house last night to welcome him to the club, and that he had also received text messages / calls from all the playing group.

It's great to hear that our players are welcoming the new draftees. Jack Watts said that he got a call from Robbo on his way to the draft on Saturday as well.

He'll be a brave boy to take on the number 9. Huge shoes to fill.

It would fit Straussy nicely. Straussy however, did wear no.17 in the TAC Champs.

It would fit Straussy nicely. Straussy however, did wear no.17 in the TAC Champs.

Yeah, but Blease wore 17 for eastern ranges (or it may have been vic metro) so they might have to arm wrestle for it...

Yep also Morton went over 2 Watts' (pun intended) house last night to welcome him to the club, and that he had also received text messages / calls from all the playing group.

where's the pun? I'm confused...

Guest melbman
Spoke to Straussy today. He tells me that he's "been called/text by nearly all the paying group" and that the club has given him the choice of no's, 9, 13 and 17. He starts training tomorrow.

Do you know where training is today? Last week it was Casey Mon, Wed & Fri. Junction today for weights?

Have had a closer look at this guy. Was a bit frustrated at first, for the simple reason that I'm a supporter and want to see spectacular goals, marks and tackles when I watch the videos of our newest recruits... but once I told the 13 year old in me to sit down and shut up for a second I've come to realise what all the hype is about.

He may not be dominant in the sense that the Judds, Hodges and Abletts of the world are through the midfield... but unlike so many other mids taken around this point, he doesn't appear to have a glaring weakness in his game. Many good players come through with searing pace, but a small body... or an amazingly accurate kick, but no marking ability... or they're incredibly strong physically but let you down time and time again with their kicking, making you cringe every time they get it and have time to set themselves.

This kid doesn't tear the match to shreds with scintillating runs, goals or telling contested marks.... but probably the most pleasing thing is that I can't see a fault to his game. He's not injury prone, he kicks sensationally both sides of the body, has a quick and accurate set of hands, wonderful vision in the clinches, a VERY good turn of pace, and good vision for setting things up and spotting a lead, which is very pleasing in one so young.

I won't say he'll slot straight in, because he's still young... but there's no reason why he can't start out a very good player, then turn into one who takes games on. Someone who gives you 20 touches more often than not, of which the majority are effective or to avantage is exactly what the club needs. It puts pressure on the opposition, freeing up our more damaging players to stretch their arms a bit. When we finally get our core of 10-15 blokes, of which 6 have to be stars, I think this guy will float in and out of the 6... depending only on how and where his coach plays him, how his injures pan out, and how the rest of the side is constructed.

He's only one piece of the puzzle, but for a pick 19 I'm not sure you can really expect much more. We could have taken a risk, but 9 times out of ten you take a sure thing... and I reckon this kid is as close to that as you'll ever find around pick 20.

Have had a closer look at this guy. Was a bit frustrated at first, for the simple reason that I'm a supporter and want to see spectacular goals, marks and tackles when I watch the videos of our newest recruits... but once I told the 13 year old in me to sit down and shut up for a second I've come to realise what all the hype is about.

He may not be dominant in the sense that the Judds, Hodges and Abletts of the world are through the midfield... but unlike so many other mids taken around this point, he doesn't appear to have a glaring weakness in his game. Many good players come through with searing pace, but a small body... or an amazingly accurate kick, but no marking ability... or they're incredibly strong physically but let you down time and time again with their kicking, making you cringe every time they get it and have time to set themselves.

This kid doesn't tear the match to shreds with scintillating runs, goals or telling contested marks.... but probably the most pleasing thing is that I can't see a fault to his game. He's not injury prone, he kicks sensationally both sides of the body, has a quick and accurate set of hands, wonderful vision in the clinches, a VERY good turn of pace, and good vision for setting things up and spotting a lead, which is very pleasing in one so young.

I won't say he'll slot straight in, because he's still young... but there's no reason why he can't start out a very good player, then turn into one who takes games on. Someone who gives you 20 touches more often than not, of which the majority are effective or to avantage is exactly what the club needs. It puts pressure on the opposition, freeing up our more damaging players to stretch their arms a bit. When we finally get our core of 10-15 blokes, of which 6 have to be stars, I think this guy will float in and out of the 6... depending only on how and where his coach plays him, how his injures pan out, and how the rest of the side is constructed.

He's only one piece of the puzzle, but for a pick 19 I'm not sure you can really expect much more. We could have taken a risk, but 9 times out of ten you take a sure thing... and I reckon this kid is as close to that as you'll ever find around pick 20.

Yes. Very good summary of Strauss. I 'dislike' giving big wraps on a kid who hasn't yet played at AFL level because its all "hype" to me until we see the real thing. But... :lol: ...I will on this occassion. I see some real "quarterback" type qualities in Strauss. I.e. B.Lovett, L.Hodge, P.Burgoyne type of play in the backhalf. That's from what I've seen in the TAC. I'll leave it at that for now.