Burgos Phantom Draft 08

Mousey

Ok, in the past three weeks we have considered the recruitment of two players with injuries to their knees.

I'm still having trouble understanding the logic behind most on this board refusing to even consider Prismall with Pick 35, who was a proven mid at GEELONG.

And the frenzy to spend Pick 17 on a bloke with two serious knee injuries who has played barely any footy for two years at junior level.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing and I'll go away...

Time. Prismall is closer to his peak time as a footballer. Also Selwood was a bargain for the cats because of perceived injuries. Everyone wants the speculative pick that works out a treat...

When a player is recruited they're not expected to dominate in their first few years, so you allow time to pass for the injury to completely clear up, and for whatever rehab to happen. Also... watch how he moves post injury. The guy is a ball magnet, on top of being able to move as well as just about anyone through the packs...

Oh. And I think perhaps there's a little bit of that thing in our minds where we bounced back from injury quickly as kids. Perhaps that plays a part... Oh the carelessness of youth.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOLD on the idea now. My concerns were Go-Home and injury. So on that basis we could be in with a real chance as no WA clubs late 1st round and they would be a bit gun shy i think of both the above concerns.

Are we the best team to be at if you need TLC from a track record of injuries?

Brogan's updated List

Tom Lynch has been strongly tipped as top-20 selection now and the word is the Saints could be the club for him.

Melbourne and West Coast will also be massive players in the backend of the top 20.

Expect Ryan Schoenmakers (although he has also been linked with the Swans in recent days) to be a 15-20 selection.

Lewis Johnston still seems a selection in the teens, although No.9 can't be discounted for North Melbourne, considering the Bombers are right into Sidebottom at No.5. Geelong and Melbourne will be eagerly-awaiting to see where Johnston fits into the equation.

Sam Blease also looms as a No.13-No.17 pick with Melbourne certain to have a look at him closely, if he is still available.

Dayne Beams, Jordan Roughead, James Strauss and Nick Suban seem the others most likely in Melbourne's mix.

1 – MELBOURNE – Jack Watts

2 – WEST COAST EAGLES – Nicholas Naitanui

3 – FREMANTLE – Stephen Hill

4 – PORT ADELAIDE – Hamish Hartlett

5 – ESSENDON – Michael Hurley

6 – CARLTON – Chris Yarran

7 – BRISBANE LIONS – Jack Ziebell

8 – RICHMOND – Tyrone Vickery

9 – NORTH MELBOURNE – Steele Sidebottom

10 – ADELAIDE – Jackson Trengove

11 – COLLINGWOOD – Daniel Rich

12 – SYDNEY SWANS – Mitchell Brown

13 – ST KILDA – Tom Lynch

14 – WESTERN BULLDOGS – Ayce Cordy

15 – GEELONG – Lewis Johnston

16 – HAWTHORN – Phil Davis

17 – MELBOURNE – Sam Blease

18 – WEST COAST EAGLES – Tom Swift

19 – MELBOURNE – Ryan Schoenmakers

20 – WEST COAST EAGLES – David Zaharakis

That sounds alot better! I would prefer Swift before Blease though. Interesting to see how highly he rates Zaharakis, I was thinking he might slide to our 35 pick after seeing alot of phantom drafts. I guess it is asking a bit much.

Mckernan seems to have dropped off the radar?

Not to mention D. Rich sliding! Gone from a possible number 1 to pick 11 according to Burgo.

Indeed all these Phantom Drafts have proven to me only one thing so far...That one should never listen to Phantom Drafts

That would be a sensational draft for us. Pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for personally. Watts the KP forward, Blease the outside pace and skill, and Schoenmakers a second KP forward/third tall.

I'm still not sure whether Schoenmakers will be a KP forward yet, as he plays smaller and isnt very physical. He plays a more lead up forward very similar to Bate sort of? Wouldnt mind Mckernan instead possibly, but hey I wouldnt be complaining at all if that draft came to fruition tomorrow morning :D

Throw in another mid or a ruck at 35 and it will be another strong step forward in rebuilding our team.

One problem though, and pardon the pun, but Rich slipping to 11 is abit rich... ;) The guy is seriously talented and I doubt clubs like Brisbane and North would overlook him if he dropped to them.

One problem though, and pardon the pun, but Rich slipping to 11 is abit rich... ;) The guy is seriously talented and I doubt clubs like Brisbane and North would overlook him if he dropped to them.

I agree, I can't see him being picked outside pick 5. Port would take him at 4 and if they elect for Vickery, Essendon would take Rich. That is if Freo decide on Hill ahead of Rich, which Burgo has tipped.

On a side note, Hamish Hartlett is going to be a star, and is my pick for best player of this draft. He just does everything a mid should do perfectly IMO.

I think he'll at least be the best midfielder.