Chris Johnson

PeterJames

From Todays HUN, just in case there were any doubts:

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann said yesterday the Blues hoped to secure Johnson but had only pick six in the pre-season draft.

"We are pretty sure he wants to come to us if he can get to us," Swann said.

He was never going to stay and I'm pretty sure we weren't too fussed about trying to keep him on anything other than our own terms.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a conspracy theory about all this.

After we lost out on Chris Judd at the end of last year, we decided to get even with Carlton by planting Mark Riley there as an assistant coach. He managed to convince them to go after Matthew Warnock and offer him a massive contract - $400k a year for 4 years for a bloke whose played 21 games in the last 3 is massive. Then they went after CJ - 2 years for a 5 year 31 gamer is just about unheard of isn't it?

Even the HUN joined in the conspiracy by writing up today's article giving Johnson the same prominence it would normally reserve for one of the game's stars instead of a bloke who managed only half of the maximum games possible in a season with the bottom side. Among the 400 wasted words in the article was this absolute pearler of a line that just about sums up CJ's value as a footbaler - "The Blues made a play for the son of former Demons star Alan in the trade period, offering a late pick above 100 in a bargain-basement bid." :P:P:P

And have we all noticed that Carlton now has an obsession with players who have the initials CJ?

Courtney Johns and Corey Jones are the next targets.

Mark my words!

Well Chris, close the door after you. Your dad didn't like getting caught between the ball and an opponent steaming in either. It is more metaphorical with you.

Maybe, the Blues have a seventh Half Back Flank in their team structure to put you on. There seemed momentarily to be some point having you on the list when you went to the mid-field. But not a lot.

Guest Schtacker
Some of guys must be kidding

4 pages of posts ?

For a Bordeline at best AFL player ?

Please lets talk about something that matters

WHAT!? YOU must be the one who is kidding mate

Just lost a promising HBF flanker off our underwhelming list , after years of development for nothing in return... more terrifying is the fact not even the son of a former champ wants to play for our club

Yeah what's the big deal eh?

Please tell what more important matters you would prefer us to be discussing, perhaps the clash jumper design

[censored]

Guest Schtacker
Very harsh, AJ was a great player for the MFC.

Yes but you forget that all of a sudden everyone is of the opinion that both A.Johnson and C.Johnson are actually rubbish. This epiphany has conventiently occurred at the moment of their betrayal

......Typically by blood sucking two faced player managers. People who think its a discussion only between the player and Club and its centred on loyalty and bleeding for the jumper are fooling themselves.

Give us a break Rhino, we know there's no 'bleeding for the jumper' according to you. You been saying it for years. Just move over for a while.

Just lost a promising HBF flanker off our underwhelming list , after years of development for nothing in return... more terrifying is the fact not even the son of a former champ wants to play for our club

Dude, he may have "promised" something as the son of Alan, but like many sons of good players Chris's promise was just that. He has never developed into the player this club currently needs. Most people see that and are fairly content with the fact that this club is now carrying one less ordinary footballer on their list.

Guest Schtacker
Dude, he may have "promised" something as the son of Alan, but like many sons of good players Chris's promise was just that. He has never developed into the player this club currently needs. Most people see that and are fairly content with the fact that this club is now carrying one less ordinary footballer on their list.

no no no no no see that is NOT what has happened. We have not DROPPED Chris Johnson. We considered him a REQUIRED player and he has LEFT us. No matter what you say you can't pretend this is something we have done intentionally - you are just plainly in denial if you do

In demonology's best players 5 weeks on the trot including a 33-possie match that we WON... as if anyone here can honestly pretend it doesn't bother them just to lose him for nothing! FCS!

Yes but you forget that all of a sudden everyone is of the opinion that both A.Johnson and C.Johnson are actually rubbish. This epiphany has conventiently occurred at the moment of their betrayal

I have seen one opinion erroneously condemn AJ. The gap between CJ and his father was large when he joined 5 years and has not changed now he has gone. Alan Johnson was a very talented gun at MFC.

Give us a break Rhino, we know there's no 'bleeding for the jumper' according to you. You been saying it for years. Just move over for a while.

I didn't think you were one of the people fooling themselves but thanks for putting your hand up and coming forward. Get over it.

no no no no no see that is NOT what has happened. We have not DROPPED Chris Johnson. We considered him a REQUIRED player and he has LEFT us. No matter what you say you can't pretend this is something we have done intentionally - you are just plainly in denial if you do

In demonology's best players 5 weeks on the trot including a 33-possie match that we WON... as if anyone here can honestly pretend it doesn't bother them just to lose him for nothing! FCS!

I really don't care how his departure came about, I don't care if we dumped him or if he walked out, one thing I know for sure is that the cluib has been actively trying to move him on him for 2 years. Alas, nothing, not a nibble inside the top 100 draft picks. He's simply another ordinary player who has parted with his club. In essence it's not nothing because his departure gives us another draft pick, probably pick 51, which turns out to be of great value considering no one would trade us anything better.

Guest Schtacker
I really don't care how his departure came about, I don't care if we dumped him or if he walked out, one thing I know for sure is that the cluib has been actively trying to move him on him for 2 years. Alas, nothing, not a nibble inside the top 100 draft picks. He's simply another ordinary player who has parted with his club. In essence it's not nothing because his departure gives us another draft pick, probably pick 51, which turns out to be of great value considering no one would trade us anything better.

If what you say is true then why was he offered another contract and why are they obviously so furious at his departure

the word REQUIRED was actually used by Dean Bailey himself - and it reflects badly on him as a coach so I don't know why he would misrepresent this fact

I am [censored] off that we have lost a player for nothing. Our club has put the effort in over 5 years on this bloke. He is worth something. He is not a football 'dog'. Carlton have contived to get CJ for nothing. These pox ridden blues add nothing to AFL football. They scheme, steal and contrive through corruption, and are monumentally represented by the likes of the punching, pissing, disgracefull act, Fevola, who typifies a whimpy, sulking dog.

If what you say is true then why was he offered another contract and why are they obviously so furious at his departure

the word REQUIRED was actually used by Dean Bailey himself - and it reflects badly on him as a coach so I don't know why he would misrepresent this fact

Should he have said that after 5 years, Chris is a fringe player that we believe is going to struggle to cut it in the AFL. We were not going to overextend ourselves for someone who we believe have got covered on the list? I don't think so.

Given we have a perception of a Club that players dont want to come to, its bad policy to dump on a departing player.

I still cant work out the excitement over CJ. Its must be the off season. :wacko:

Guest Schtacker
Should he have said that after 5 years, Chris is a fringe player that we believe is going to struggle to cut it in the AFL. We were not going to overextend ourselves for someone who we believe have got covered on the list? I don't think so.

Yes - he should have said that. I don't give a stuff about CJ's rights here nor the thieves at Carlton. The matter appears to be a case of an incompetent coach/board failing to finalise a signature or suitable trade and a club that stinks so bad even father-sons want out. If the truth is that we just don't want the kid he would have been delisted with Weetra and Bode. Bailey's comments should have reflected more the spineless filth of Johnson's character and the corruption of the club stealing him

Always the whipping boys down at MFC and some of you refuse to see it

Yes - he should have said that. I don't give a stuff about CJ's rights here nor the thieves at Carlton. The matter appears to be a case of an incompetent coach/board failing to finalise a signature or suitable trade and a club that stinks so bad even father-sons want out. If the truth is that we just don't want the kid he would have been delisted with Weetra and Bode. Bailey's comments should have reflected more the spineless filth of Johnson's character and the corruption of the club stealing him

Always the whipping boys down at MFC and some of you refuse to see it

Seems some may have missed a little snippet. Allegedly CJ's new contract with Melbourne may have contained a performance clause to activate the second year. Add that to a higher unconditional two year contract from the Blue scum and we can begin to understand why CJ may have declined our offer.

The real question is have we been outbid or have we manufactured his departure leaving his dignity intact as the son of a former club great.

As a side issue, he has to get past a few clubs before he gets to the Blue scum, unless of course they use pick 40 in the draft, which would be a heavy payment for a player they offered pick 100 for.

Guest Schtacker
Seems some may have missed a little snippet. Allegedly CJ's new contract with Melbourne may have contained a performance clause to activate the second year. Add that to a higher unconditional two year contract from the Blue scum and we can begin to understand why CJ may have declined our offer.

The real question is have we been outbid or have we manufactured his departure leaving his dignity intact as the son of a former club great.

As a side issue, he has to get past a few clubs before he gets to the Blue scum, unless of course they use pick 40 in the draft, which would be a heavy payment for a player they offered pick 100 for.

well I am talking about the club's official story - if what you are saying is the truth, then their fabrication of events has only served to make the coach and club look bad and the player to look dirty. If Bailey is concerned with protecting CJ's dignity why has he publicly stated his disappointment in the player?

If Bailey is concerned with protecting CJ's dignity why has he publicly stated his disappointment in the player?

He was disappointed in the player's decision.

Redleg is spot on about the need to handle these issues carefully.

The matter appears to be a case of an incompetent coach/board failing to finalise a signature or suitable trade and a club that stinks so bad even father-sons want out. If the truth is that we just don't want the kid he would have been delisted with Weetra and Bode. Bailey's comments should have reflected more the spineless filth of Johnson's character and the corruption of the club stealing him

Possibly the silliest take on events I have read that slices the facts to be rather self serving and needless.

Bailey's comments should have reflected more the spineless filth of Johnson's character and the corruption of the club stealing him

Take it easy bro. Chris is just another ordinary footballer who is moving clubs to get a longer contract on more money. He's not spineless or filth, more than likely he's a good kid who's looking after his best interests. Good luck to him and well done MFC for not being coerced into offering him more than his worth. Hey, looks like a WIN WIN. The only losers are carlton who now have another ordinary HBFlanker on their list.

Easy Dude. I would never say a bad word about the ability of Alan Johnson. Saw him play many great Hard Games. None better than the '88 Elim Final (he polled a perfect score in the Bluey for that one)

I can honestly say, if there is a football God, this guys career will go the way of Phil Read's. You like to say that you wish a player good luck and all the best... but I just can't find the words.

I don't think I've ever booed a player before, but if he got a game against us with the Blues, I'd shout myself hoarse.

Guest Schtacker
I can honestly say, if there is a football God, this guys career will go the way of Phil Read's. You like to say that you wish a player good luck and all the best... but I just can't find the words.

I don't think I've ever booed a player before, but if he got a game against us with the Blues, I'd shout myself hoarse.

Nice to know someone is with me! Poor form CJ - I imagine he might get a bit of extra attention if and when he comes up against us in the future.

Nice to know someone is with me! Poor form CJ - I imagine he might get a bit of extra attention if and when he comes up against us in the future.

And he wont enjoy the drive to Cranbourne either.

I can honestly say, if there is a football God, this guys career will go the way of Phil Read's.

Good analogy.

He is about as ordinary and overrated on this site as Phil Read was.