Carlton Salary Cap (do they have one)?

Redleg

Gee, if I were one of those three I'd be enjoying my time at Carlton. That kind of money far exceeds what they deserve based on their ability.

Only those 3 ??

Add to that list that are getting too much -

Ackland

O'Hailpin

Wiggins

Bannister

Betts

possibly a few others

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paxino27

Surely there's no way that they'll be able to get Warnock. Firstly they shouldn't be able to afford him and secondly even if they could what would they offer for him?? They refused to trade Russell or Thornton a few years back and they wont trade any of their young guns. So never ending salary cap aside I don't see how Carlton can get their man?

altogether now.....

Show no care....

For detractos don’t know the way.

In your hand .......

The cash for you to play

Times that keep their secrets

Bills unfold behind the shrouds

And there upon a rainbow

Is the answer to our Never Ending Salary Cap...

ah ah ah

Never Ending Salary cap...

ah ah ah

Never Ending S a l a r y .. C a p !!!!!.

• 4 weeks later...
Try this on for size, 2009 approximate salaries: $

Judd 1m

Fevola 750k

Stevens 500

Warnock 400

Murphy 400

Thornton 350 ( wanted to leave and got more )

Waite 300

Gibbs 300

Fisher 250

Simpson 250

Houlihan 250

Cloke 250

Kreuzer 100 ( 300 at least 2010 )

Betts 200

Walker 200

Carazzo 200

Hadley 200

Bannister 150

Russell 150

Wiggins 150

Ackland 150

O'Hailpin 150

That is $6.65 for 22 players. If the list is 42 then the other 20 players are sharing about $1m if the cap is $7.5M ( I stand to be corrected on cap figure ). That is about $50k a player. Given that new draftees are on about $50k I think, then the Blues must have about 20 players earning aprox $50k each.

I don't think so.

Obviously they don't have a salary cap.

They have now offered Ryan O'Keefe a 4 year contract at $500.000 a year if he goes into PSD ( according to ten news tonight). I was also advised that Ackland is on over $300.000 a year by a Carlton person who claimed to know and that some of my other guesses were conservative.

You can be sure the AFL will not seriously investigate this club.

Try this on for size, 2009 approximate salaries: $

Judd 1m

Fevola 750k

Stevens 500

Warnock 400

Murphy 400

Thornton 350 ( wanted to leave and got more )

Waite 300

Gibbs 300

Fisher 250

Simpson 250

Houlihan 250

Cloke 250

Kreuzer 100 ( 300 at least 2010 )

Betts 200

Walker 200

Carazzo 200

Hadley 200

Bannister 150

Russell 150

Wiggins 150

Ackland 150

O'Hailpin 150

That is $6.65 for 22 players. If the list is 42 then the other 20 players are sharing about $1m if the cap is $7.5M ( I stand to be corrected on cap figure ). That is about $50k a player. Given that new draftees are on about $50k I think, then the Blues must have about 20 players earning aprox $50k each.

I don't think so.

I'm sorry but this argument is totally flawed.

Geelong have 7 AAs this year and 9 last year. These guys ALL would demand huge pay packets.

Carlton have 2 AAs, and pretty much farkall else on their list. they have a crap list bar 6 players.

If Geelong, with the quality they have in their team can fit into the cap, so can Carlton.

Obviously they don't have a salary cap.

They have now offered Ryan O'Keefe a 4 year contract at $500.000 a year if he goes into PSD ( according to ten news tonight). I was also advised that Ackland is on over $300.000 a year by a Carlton person who claimed to know and that some of my other guesses were conservative.

You can be sure the AFL will not seriously investigate this club.

Greg Denham? or whoever does Friday mornings with KB said that Swann told him that they've got that much space in the salary cap that they could get 3 or 4 more Ryan O'keefes. The mind boggles.

Greg Denham? or whoever does Friday mornings with KB said that Swann told him that they've got that much space in the salary cap that they could get 3 or 4 more Ryan O'keefes. The mind boggles.

Well maybe that's why Fevola took a while to sign and had issues with his contract. Maybe behind closed doors they are notoriously tight-ar$ed ??

But they must have ways of going around the cap, little 'incentives' and 'perks'

Dick Pratt is no longer on the board and is free to give monetary gifts to whomever he likes, Carlton player or not

Not a fan of the salary cap

Its far too easy to cheat the system

Scenario

Club with Money with a salary cap limited competition wants to buy certain players

The way to beat the salary cap is cheat pure and simple and no chance of being caught

Club makes a modest deal with a player they want which is what the AFL is being told

Club makes a hidden deal to a player with 2 payments to a swiss bank with an access date

predetermined (more than likely after the players retirement)

Isnt that what swiss banks are for ?

Not a fan of the salary cap

Its far too easy to cheat the system

Scenario

Club with Money with a salary cap limited competition wants to buy certain players

The way to beat the salary cap is cheat pure and simple and no chance of being caught

Club makes a modest deal with a player they want which is what the AFL is being told

Club makes a hidden deal to a player with 2 payments to a swiss bank with an access date

predetermined (more than likely after the players retirement)

Isnt that what swiss banks are for ?

Doesn't need to go that far. For example, you employ a relative at an exorbitant salary, or you drop the old brown bag full of the folding stuff on the players couch while you are convincing him to play for you, or you buy an asset that you agree to transfer to the player some time in the future when he is no longer an employee of the club etc.

I'm sorry but this argument is totally flawed.

Geelong have 7 AAs this year and 9 last year. These guys ALL would demand huge pay packets.

Carlton have 2 AAs, and pretty much farkall else on their list. they have a crap list bar 6 players.

If Geelong, with the quality they have in their team can fit into the cap, so can Carlton.

Why is my " argument" totally flawed? I have merely put down reported and assumed salaries and the figures lead to the conclusion that half Carltank's list would be on an average of $50.000 each.

The 7 Geelong AA players this year and 9 AA players last year you have referred to are basically the same guys not 16 different ones and even if they were I have named 22 Carlton players and you have possibly suggested about 10 Geelong players. Lets assume an average of $500.000 each for the 10, which is "huge", then the last 30 share $3million an average of $100.000 each which is clearly possible as many are young draftees.

Look at my figures for Carltank and point out where you think I am wrong and we can redo them. Don't just say my argument is totally flawed.

what happens is, (example) Judd signs and he get lets say $1m but then he also gets a job with Pratt doing nothing for extra $$$$$. Then when he arrives in Melbourne a new car is waiting for him in the driveway of his new house, all presents of course.....

They dont have one! But they all get jobs at Visycap!

They will chase O'Keefe hard in the pre-season draft. I think he will want to go there! Too many perks!

I hope they all do there knee's! Fu..ing have to buy a team you fu..ing cheats! That's how you won 95! Cheats Cheats Cheats!

All of the above posts confirm why you tank-out, take your kids in the draft, put the best coaching/fitness/medical dept together, and hope for the best.

MFC do not have the suburban based origins with supporters wealthy and not so wealthy to pull this extraneous money that the interstate clubs, Carltank, Collingw&%$ etc do so well, and in such a covert fashion.

As for how Vlad can react to it, well, fact is he can't. It's all about money, greed and ambition. Vlad's ambitious nature precludes him from implementing lengthy detailed investigations, which inevitably would resolve nothing and lose him his job..

Live with it; as you are living with your diminishing wealth due to the same situation in the financial world.

Wow, those numbers are pretty full on. (First post)

I'm just stunned Warnock is now among their most highly paid players. If they're paying him for potential, then surely Marc Murphy should be on a lot more, right?

He's just a ruckman for Pete's sake. How many ruckmen GENUINELY effect the outcome of the season? Only a handful each year, and even then, they're not winning Brownlows are they?

I'd rather use my pick one on a Cooney than a Kreuzer personally, and then pay them reflective of that. Luckily this year we have Watts, so we're not forced to decide... :)

Guest mytrader

The Blues have been into just about every available player in the land with big money offers while other clubs struggle to remain within the total player payments limits. There is enough speculation out there as to why this is happening and for the sake of transparency, it's time the AFL stepped in and arranged a proper independent investigation into what's happening there. If Carlton is not in breach the rules then, at least the football world will have an unbiased appraisal of their salary cap situation and they would be vindicated.

Guest uncle joe

Why this fascination with bloody Carlton all the time ??

Do you think the AFL aren't watching all this ?? Demetriou doesn't like them anymore than we do !! Every thing Carlton do is monitored closely by the AFL .

And those figures are not right . I know how much Stevens gets and its a lot less than 500k . And Judd is certainly not getting a million a year .

Can we forget about them , stop the whingeing , and get on with supporting our own blokes . We have a great draft to look forward to and some exciting new blood heading our way .

ahh geez...Cap ...its such a hard and fast definition... .

A possible answer from Princess Park ...( sorry Vysion World )

Carlton: "We prefer the more fluid approach ..and deal in concepts rather than definites..its so not 2008 to be mired in externally enforced parameters when as a club we like to move with the times. Youhave to ask..what is a salary..and why do we have them... This confinement is so unfairly limiting. We look at remuneration with much broader outcomes. These are worked within club described outlines, they are more dynamic and work for us well.

Cap: Cap is also a bad word. Cap infers a restiction to our visions of achievements. We at Carlton dont impose such 20th century thinking .It can only constrain and unfairlly impact our potential as a club.We prefer to look at this interms of ideals and targets. Like much in 21st Century dealings these are goals rather than specifics"

It is our intent as an organisation to promote not stifle the abilities and rewards of our partners and participants and as such wil lfully concur withe idea of workign with the AFL on these issues as club focus and direction allows.

Thankyou for your interest in the Carlton Club !!! :rolleyes:

did you write that yourself, genius!

The Carlton salary cap mystery has now officially been solved. The following highly paid players were today delisted:

Cain Ackland, Clinton Benjamin, Luke Blackwell, Ryan Jackson and Aisake O'hAilpin.

Jason Saddington has also retired.

These changes have freed up about $2m from the Blues' total player payments allowing them to fit uncontracted Sydney player Ryan O'Keefe well within their salary cap limit and also enabling them to elevate emerging defender Michael Jamison (who is being paid in peanuts, seashells and violet crumble bars) off the club's rookie list.

did you write that yourself, genius!

umm yes...In a moment of lucidity.....alas it too passed !! :lol:

the little green and pink pills kicked in later... hehehe

Judds probably getting about 600k on Carltons books and the other 400k off visy.

Sorry but i agree with sylvinator. If Geelong can pay under the cap with their list then Carlton should have a bit of room if managed properly.

It also makes a mockery of what we have been paying players.

Guest uncle joe

Do it 4 Robbie , you would be spot on . Judd doesn't get a million , And Stevens gets a lot less than $500,000.

Demetriou doesn't like Carlton anymore than we do and , for sure , they will be closely watched by the AFL .

They have the top administrators there now ( Swann , Icke etc ) and know how to work the rules for the best deals .

We have been paying ordinary players too much for too long .We should try and learn from clubs above us instead of knocking them and whingeing all the time .

The Carlton salary cap mystery has now officially been solved. The following highly paid players were today delisted:

Cain Ackland, Clinton Benjamin, Luke Blackwell, Ryan Jackson and Aisake O'hAilpin.

Jason Saddington has also retired.

These changes have freed up about $2m from the Blues' total player payments allowing them to fit uncontracted Sydney player Ryan O'Keefe well within their salary cap limit and also enabling them to elevate emerging defender Michael Jamison (who is being paid in peanuts, seashells and violet crumble bars) off the club's rookie list.

I have heard from disgruntled Carlton supporters, they were delighted to hear Cain Ackland was delisted. Apparently was on a good wicket. (Pay packet)

edit: I agree with Do it for Robbie, Judd is not on a million per year.

PS. Ackland was on more than $150K Redleg.

I'm sure the payment dynamos that have now been delisted has eased Carlton's salary cap considerably.

Star players like...Clinton Benjamin...err...Luke Blackwell...well.. how about .... Ryan Jackson and maybe Aisake O'hAilpin? Hrm, i suppose it'd free up 20 bucks.