An interesting site

Blistering

If Robbie Warnock becomes harder and harder to get him to Melbourne. The more I think Melbourne will be looking to Naitanui for their pick. Alot hinges on Robbie Warnock crossing the line. If the Mfc secure him in the trading period or are confident he will go through to the PSD. Watts will go at No.1.

ALL FOOTY - has a fair bit of infor on this year's draft

They suggest we'll take Nicholas Naitanui with the 1st pick in the 2008 AFL draft, Steele Sidebottom at #17 and Sam Blease at #19.

He also suggests that we take Sidebottom because we need more help in the back line but our forwards are sorted!!

I like the sounds of Blease though. Decent turn of speed too from what I've read.

Blease: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=e7DTWnqlg8E

If Robbie Warnock becomes harder and harder to get him to Melbourne. The more I think Melbourne will be looking to Naitanui for their pick. Alot hinges on Robbie Warnock crossing the line. If the Mfc secure him in the trading period or are confident he will go through to the PSD. Watts will go at No.1.

Niknat will take 2 to 3 years to be ready to play. Warnock should be right Round 1 2009. Missing Warnock does not mean we will go for Niknat.

That site has Stephen Hill as pick 18.

If we have the oppurtunity to get that guy at 17 we MUST pick him up!!

The kid has a lot of potential.

Very fast and athletic midfielder that we are screaming out for! Him and Bucks together with Brock and Jones hmmm nice combo.

Sorry if we end up with Stephen Hill at 17 i will cream myself hahah

I know some of those highlights are not great but yeah u get the picture of what type of player he could be

haha sorry got a bit over excited but yeah he would be a fantastic pick up at 17 but i doubt he will last that long. Recruiters would be licking their chops all knowing how good he will be

gotta take blease, and vickery is the one that if he slips through- well worth taking. Big frame that will get even bigger thorugh development.

Mitch Robinson for mine. Then maybe Lewis Johnston. Love some of these kids names though, Steele Sidebottom, Maverick Weller etc. :rolleyes:

Does anyone still think we should take a youngster who is 4-5 years away from making it ahead of a Daniel Rich who is ready made and has been playing senior football at the highest level in his state bar AFL for 2 seasons?

You take the player who you think will be the best, given our position whether they make an impact next year or 2010 is irrelevant (4-5 years is a bit much, that'd be a dud!).

If you're in finals contention then you can have the luxury of taking a ready made player over a long term prospect, ie Harry Taylor at Geelong, you are also using a much higher pick though so there's not as much at risk.

haha sorry got a bit over excited but yeah he would be a fantastic pick up at 17 but i doubt he will last that long. Recruiters would be licking their chops all knowing how good he will be

I'm still hoping for Walters with 17 or 19

I would be stoked if we picked up Nick Suban with pick 17 or 19.

The kid can really play.

His disposal is very good (on both sides), he takes the game on and is always looking for the best disposal option instead of blazing away.

Can play either end of the ground or through the middle and doesn't shy away from the hard ball.

Caveat: My opininons are based on second-hand information and youtube videos. You should probably not even bother reading it - I just want to talk rubbish about the draft.

Does anyone still think we should take a youngster who is 4-5 years away from making it ahead of a Daniel Rich who is ready made and has been playing senior football at the highest level in his state bar AFL for 2 seasons?

If you're talking about Watts vs. Rich then yes.

If you're interested in players with VFL experience then Mitch Robinson and Aaron Cornelius might interest you though. Both have played VFL in Tas, both could go around pick 17-19 and would look good on our list (Robinson is a midfielder, Cornelius a tall, strong marking forward).

Mitch Robinson for mine. Then maybe Lewis Johnston. Love some of these kids names though, Steele Sidebottom, Maverick Weller etc. :rolleyes:

I would take Blease over Robinson but he would be great too.

After Watts at pick 1 I would like two, preferably outsidish-type, midfielders who can kick accurately, link play and have good pace/line-breaking, and another strong marking forward target. To my mind this means.

One of either Sam Blease, Mitch Robinson, Steve Hill or Matthew Broadbent at 17 or 19 (probably in that order of preference but definatley Blease first to my mind). Robinson and Hill look a little nervous kicking under pressure which worries me a bit, but both look like interesting tagging prospects.

and

One of either Lewis Johnston, Ryan Schoenmakers or Aaron Cornelius with the other early pick (probably in that order).

The great thing about having picks 17-19 is that you only have to risk 1 player in between, so that would influence the decision of whether to take a midfielder or a forward first (depending on who is left).

Ideally, we would take another of of the midfielders at 35 or for a Cameron Bruce pick (both suggestions could be optimistic though). Schoenmakers looks like he could play attacking meidfield as well as forward so he would be a great late aquisition also.

There probably isn't room on the list for a Chris Yarran/Neville Jetta forward pocket/possible attacking midfielder in my opinion. If we get a Bruce pick and a good attcking midfielder slides to 35 then it would bear thinking about, but unless there is an obvious gap in talent, I would prefer a Whelan replacement (strong, can play small).

Luke Shuey looks like a good fit for run and carry if he slides to 51. Otherwise Aaron Purves sounds interesting if he's still around.

I don't see much point drafting backmen or rucks in this draft (assuming we get Warnock) but I guess a big body project ruckman like Andrew Browne (although we seem to have enough of those) or a possible Whelan replacement who is a genuine "footy player" and can play small up back (maybe Kade Klemke?), could be worth thinking about come pick 51. I would hate to see any more "run off half-back" or forward pocket prospects unless they have talent as genuine midfielders.

I have no idea what to make of Tom Swift but I don't think we have the luxury or gambling with with an early (17 or 19) pick.

So my ideal (semi-realistic) draft without a Bruce trade?

Pick 1: Jack Watts

Pick 17: Sam Blease

Pick 19: Lewis Johnston

Pick 35: Ryan Schoenmakers/Matthew Broadbent

Pick 51: Kade Klemke/Luke Shuey

PSD: Warnock

I'm not worried about drafting bottom-aged players who might miss out on 2009. Although in the 2009 draft I might try to draft more ready-made types.

So, am I dreaming? Am I being stupid putting this much focus on target forwards and Mids? Do we need more backs with Whelan and Carrol going soon? Should Zaharakis get a mention? Should I shut the hell up because I haven't seen any of them live? (probably)

Cheers

P.S.

(anyone else think he looks Cale Morton-esque in this clip? (albeit smaller and faster)),

• 2 months later...