DOWN TO THE WIRE

Demonland

DOWN TO THE WIRE by Barry from Beach Road

Sandringham's finals hopes took a nose dive at Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Sunday when the hosts were overrun in the second half by 10th placed Geelong in a game that never rose to the heights one would expect from two clubs that have between them shared the competition’s last four premiership victories.

This was a must win game for the Zebras who dropped out of the top eight after last week’s defeat at the hands of the Northern Bullants and while they held a handy 17 point lead at the long break, they could manage only two goals in the second half on their way to a disappointing 11-point defeat.

The game was played in blustery conditions and on a damp surface and both sides struggled in the early going in what was a lacklustre opening quarter with little to excite the spectators. The crowd was unusually silent during this period except for a brief moment when Zebra forward Nick Sautner collided with Jace Bode leaving both of them momentarily down on their haunches. Bode played on but appeared to be concussed and sat out most of the second half. Sautner was quiet for most of the day.

Although Geelong kicked the only goal for the first term, it was hardly a convincing start as they had the wind advantage and the home side soon took control through the brilliance of veteran Adem Yze who kicked Sandy's first for the game. The Zebras took control of the midfield at this stage and appeared to be a class above the visitors as they notched up seven goals in the second quarter to be well placed at half time.

The second half started very much in the same vein as the first with both sides involved in an arm wrestle and Sandringham looking well on top when Michael Newton kicked the first goal for the half (his second) ten minutes into the third quarter. The Zebras led by 21 points.

However, an amazing change came over the game in mid term as the Geelong midfield lifted its work rate to breathe some life into a game that seemed to be going nowhere. The Cats lifted everywhere on the ground and they displayed excellent general skill levels and decision making to completely dominate the second half of the third term – a period in which they kicked five unanswered goals and went to a 9 point lead at the final break.

Sandringham geared itself for a final onslaught on the game knowing that it was kicking to what had been the scoring end for the opening three quarters. However, Geelong held firm and kicked two more goals while the home side squandered opportunity after opportunity in front of the goals. Sautner, who had been well held for most of the game, finally booted his first for the day but it was all too late. The Zebras failed by 11 points and are now staring at the distinct possibility of a September without finals action.

Sandy had very few four quarter footballers although Andy Biddlecombe highlighted his standing at the club this year with some strong saves and excellent defensive work and Michael Newton was a much improved player with his strong marking, tackling and pressure on the opposition. Rod Crowe was again serviceable and David Gallagher is slowly getting back to his pre knee injury form. Beanpole ruckman Jake Spence was the best of the big men on the ground.

Sandringham's remaining assignments are all against teams occupying places in the VFL top eight and it must win at least two games, if not all of them, to be a realistic chance to play off in September. The first these tests is at City Oval, Coburg next Sunday.

The Reserves return after the bye and their place in the finals is also under attack and they face an opponent this week that has yet to lose a game this year.

The year is coming down to the wire for both Sandy teams and they both need to lift in the remaining few weeks of the season.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Jace Bode - showed a bit of flair and run off half back at the start but came off second best in a collision with Nick Sautner in the first ten minutes of the game. He played on for parts of the first half but spent most of the second half on the bench (most likely with concussion).

Jack Grimes - spent most of the first quarter on the bench but showed some definite class and poise the minute he came onto the ground. His delivery was crisp and clean and he produced an excellent first up performance upon which he can build in the remaining few weeks of the season.

Ben Holland - struggled in windy conditions that didn’t suit his marking game.

John Meesen - continues to disappoint as he has great athletic qualities but is unable to match them with consistent performance.

Michael Newton - Juice was written off by many after struggling up forward in his last AFL match against the Kangaroos but is turning things around and playing with far greater confidence. Has added a lot more desperation to his game, kicked a couple of nice goals and had a hand in one or two others.

Ricky Petterd - after missing last week, Petterd returned to the side and produced another smooth performance down back.

Jake Spencer – contested well and held his own against the Cats’ big man brigade in both the ruck and around the ground.

Adem Yze - he was solid throughout and the instigator of most of Sandy’s dominance in the second term and stood out with his skills and his goal kicking.

Sandringham 0.4 4 7.5.47 8.6.54 9.13.67

Geelong 1.1.7 4.6.30 9.9.63 11.12.78

Goals

Sandringham Newton Yze 2 Crowe Holland Martyn Sautner Waller

Geelong Cuthill 2 Byrne Carey Davenport Mumford Potter Simpson Urie Varcoe Williams

Best

Sandringham Crowe Biddlecombe Yze Gallagher Spencer Newton

Geelong Hogan Varcoe Davenport Byrne S Simpson Williams

Jack Grimes - spent most of the first quarter on the bench but showed some definite class and poise the minute he came onto the ground. His delivery was crisp and clean and he produced an excellent first up performance upon which he can build in the remaining few weeks of the season.

Sounds like a promising start to Grimesy's senior career.

Sounds like a promising start to Grimesy's senior career.

I'm interested in Jake Spencer. He always seems to do well when he's given his chances at this level. Perhaps, he could be the next Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands - both tall ruckmen who came off the rookie list.

I'm extremely dissapointed for Meesen.

He has the ability to be able to dominate matches. A ruckman with equal or better athletic capabilities as a midfielder. If he can produce, we'll have something special on our hands but surely his chances are running out.

He has the ability to be able to dominate matches. A ruckman with equal or better athletic capabilities as a midfielder. If he can produce, we'll have something special on our hands but surely his chances are running out.

He's contracted for next year, so I think he has a few chances left.

On what basis do you conclude that? In his fifth year of AFL he has not shown anything of the sort.

FWIW, he is contracted for 2009 and 2010. :(

I have seen Meesen alot this year. I have said it before and Ill say it again on here.....The guy is a spud.

He ahs incredible athletic POTENTIONAL....how ever, he just doesnt seem to be on the improve at all!!!!

We stuffed up on this one. We need to realise this and quickly move on-and improve our ruck recruting.

On what basis do you conclude that? In his fifth year of AFL he has not shown anything of the sort.

FWIW, he is contracted for 2009 and 2010. :(

He's actually in his fourth year on an AFL list not fifth, having been at Adelaide for three years before coming to us at the end of last year.

He might well be a spud but let's not forget that most ruckmen take a long time to develop.

Take North Melbourne's twin towers - Hamish McIntosh (drafted 2002) and David Hale (2001). The Kangaroos fans were calling them spuds a couple of years ago and they've only become servicable ruckmen this year, their sixth and seventh seasons of AFL respectively.

Agreed that Meesen has shown little to date but I would imagine that the club's recruiters would have been aware when he was drafted that he was not going to be an overnight sensation.

I just don't know how you can say that he has the ability to dominate matches, I haven't seen it.

He has athletic ability, but poor application of intensity & aggression @ the contest & man.

He better shape up quick.

I'm interested in Jake Spencer. He always seems to do well when he's given his chances at this level. Perhaps, he could be the next Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands - both tall ruckmen who came off the rookie list.

I am hoping he is better so only time will tell

I am hoping he is better so only time will tell

Andy Lovell's weekly VFL wrap is up on Melbournefc.com.au. Looks like Juice is a chance this week.

Michael Newton – Stats: 14 Possessions, 6 Marks, 9 Tackles, 2 Goals

Michael played at half forward, and ended up with 14 possessions, two goals and six marks. His first half in particular was very pleasing, as he moved around well and provided a good target across the half forward line. The highlight of his game was definitely his defensive pressure. He led the team with 13 one percenters, including nine tackles - which is a great effort considering he is a tall forward. His second half was a lot quieter than his first, so his focus has to be on playing four quarters of solid football.

the club's recruiters would have been aware when he was drafted that he was not going to be an overnight sensation.

They've got that right.

Generally i'm all for earning your spot but for this one game I'll play him.

Chuck him in against Cox, let him play against the best and learn from first hand what he needs to do. Can't hurt, can it?

He's actually in his fourth year on an AFL list not fifth, having been at Adelaide for three years before coming to us at the end of last year.

He might well be a spud but let's not forget that most ruckmen take a long time to develop.

Take North Melbourne's twin towers - Hamish McIntosh (drafted 2002) and David Hale (2001). The Kangaroos fans were calling them spuds a couple of years ago and they've only become servicable ruckmen this year, their sixth and seventh seasons of AFL respectively.

Agreed that Meesen has shown little to date but I would imagine that the club's recruiters would have been aware when he was drafted that he was not going to be an overnight sensation.

Neither McIntosh or Hale were as insipid as Meesen has been particularly in their 4th year. You have to show something or at least demonstrate their is a base to build from.

Meesen has underwhelmed on every front and the Coaches reviews have been generous.

If Jamar is back this week then I drop White to Sandy and based on Lovell's assessment and Spencers ranking in the best from the last game you would drop Meesen to Sandy 2nds. Oh dear.

Neither McIntosh or Hale were as insipid as Meesen has been particularly in their 4th year. You have to show something or at least demonstrate their is a base to build from.

Meesen has underwhelmed on every front and the Coaches reviews have been generous.

If Jamar is back this week then I drop White to Sandy and based on Lovell's assessment and Spencers ranking in the best from the last game you would drop Meesen to Sandy 2nds. Oh dear.

But who would you have as the Russian's ruck partner in the Melbourne team?

I am also interested in Spencer. Meesen is languishing in his 4th season, although he is contracted until 2010.

If Jamar is fit and ready. Jamar should be in, White out.

Who in the club decides ultimately how long they wish to contract a player? ie. who would've made the decision to offer Meesen a 3yr contract? He was a top 10 draft pick for Adelaide who played 2 games in 2 years. Surely you have to play it cautiously with these kind of 'projects'?

Who in the club decides ultimately how long they wish to contract a player? ie. who would've made the decision to offer Meesen a 3yr contract? He was a top 10 draft pick for Adelaide who played 2 games in 2 years. Surely you have to play it cautiously with these kind of 'projects'?

The football manager at the time, those in charge of list management. I also reckon Craig Cameron whilst he was the recruitment manager at the time, would have had some input but not the final 3 year deal decision.