Sandringham v Geelong

Beach Road Bazza

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another bad day at the office for the Zebras who now need to win every game to make the finals.

Sandringham 0.4 4 7.5.47 8.6.54 9.13.67

Geelong 1.1.7 4.6.30 9.9.63 11.12.78

Goals

Sandringham Newton Yze 2 Crowe Holland Martyn Sautner Waller

Geelong Cuthill 2 Byrne Carey Davenport Mumford Potter Simpson Urie Varcoe Williams

Best

Sandringham Crowe Biddlecombe Yze Gallagher Spencer Newton

Geelong Hogan Varcoe Davenport Byrne S Simpson Williams

any word on grimes bazza? nice to see spencer get in the best! something mmeesen hasn't even done all year.

by gosh newton is a hack! the bloke should be kicking bags of 5 or 6 yet he kicks a shitouse two! get over self newton ya spud!!

any word on grimes bazza? nice to see spencer get in the best! something mmeesen hasn't even done all year.

by gosh newton is a hack! the bloke should be kicking bags of 5 or 6 yet he kicks a shitouse two! get over self newton ya spud!!

How do you know how Newton went? How do you know where he played? Did you notice that he was listed in the best players? Slaying a player when you weren't even at the game makes you look like the spud!

I went to the game, and I thought Newton today showed hard work off the ball. He had 4-5 chase down tackles, I have never seen him do this before. Showed some fire. Great game by him

Grimesy spent alot of the first quarter on the bench and would have had around 15 possies for the day as a half back flanker. Did some good things, tackled hard and used the ball well with good desision making. Didnt dominate as was expected by a kid whos had 4 games in 7 months, but showed alot of class out there.

Yze played a good game too.

Pettard got a lot of the ball down back, and uses it well. I really want him to get a game this year. Looks a class above

I went today with my soul intention to watch Jack Grimes in action.

Started on the bench but then came on late in the first quater. Playing a sweeping half back flank role. He got a few disposals in the second quater and with the ball in hand, looked quite polished. He adapted well to senior footy and looked quite comfortable out there. If I could pick a weakness it was probably his lack of pace when tracking his opponent to the ball but that isnt a major problem in my opinion. There are a few little things to work on with Jack like there is all youngsters but I love his ability to back himself and his classy skills by foot.

Yze played well, kicking 2 and working very hard (For once). Petterd got alot of the ball and used it well. Bode played well across half back, played a link up role and for most of the day his skills were great coming out of the backline.

I went today with my soul intention to watch Jack Grimes in action.

Started on the bench but then came on late in the first quater. Playing a sweeping half back flank role. He got a few disposals in the second quater and with the ball in hand, looked quite polished. He adapted well to senior footy and looked quite comfortable out there. If I could pick a weakness it was probably his lack of pace when tracking his opponent to the ball but that isnt a major problem in my opinion. There are a few little things to work on with Jack like there is all youngsters but I love his ability to back himself and his classy skills by foot.

Yze played well, kicking 2 and working very hard (For once). Petterd got alot of the ball and used it well. Bode played well across half back, played a link up role and for most of the day his skills were great coming out of the backline.

You for real?

He spent the entire second half (except for the first 2 minutes) on the bench. And plenty of time on the pine in the first half due to a concussion. Were you actually there or your is job just to pump him up despite the truth?

How do you know how Newton went? How do you know where he played? Did you notice that he was listed in the best players? Slaying a player when you weren't even at the game makes you look like the spud!

Agree.

Given the weather and playing conditions today it certainly would not have been suitable for a marking forward. I am glad from reports that he has worked hard. Its a nice change. He needs to work very hard over the summer and get it into his head what it takes to make it in the AFL and apply himself.

He needs to work very hard over the summer and apply himself.

It's disappointing that you still have to teach the basics after 4-5 years. It really should be expected when you are drafted.

Hopefully he can string a few together at Sandy and provide us with some hope. (has anyone noticed that in Sandy's report Newton always has the amount of one-percenters besides his name. Him and Yze)

In Newton's defence, he gets drafted and playing under age footy you dominate. Then he spends his first 2 years playing VFL reserves where again he does it easy. Plays VFL first shows something and with Neita going down last year gets a game of AFL. He should of known preseason this year what was expected but with a new coach maybe something didn't get through to him. He has a new contract and IMO now knows exactly what the coach expects. Next year is his crunch year he can't be happy playing VFL next year and should be aiming for 40 AFL goals in 2009.

Agree.

Given the weather and playing conditions today it certainly would not have been suitable for a marking forward. I am glad from reports that he has worked hard. Its a nice change. He needs to work very hard over the summer and get it into his head what it takes to make it in the AFL and apply himself.

At the LEAST, that's what he needs to do. I love him and all, but he's a long way off being a dominant player, which is what he absolutely HAS to do... For him self as well as us.

In Newton's defence, he gets drafted and playing under age footy you dominate. Then he spends his first 2 years playing VFL reserves where again he does it easy. Plays VFL first shows something and with Neita going down last year gets a game of AFL. He should of known preseason this year what was expected but with a new coach maybe something didn't get through to him. He has a new contract and IMO now knows exactly what the coach expects. Next year is his crunch year he can't be happy playing VFL next year and should be aiming for 40 AFL goals in 2009.

Yes. Good summary of Newton and post Dr.Drake. That is a fair and reasonable target - 40 goals.

Yes. Good summary of Newton and post Dr.Drake. That is a fair and reasonable target - 40 goals.

40 goals would make him our best forward.

this season our leading goal kicker has 23 goals.

this is millers best ever return goals wise (23).

ben holland in a career spanning 12 afl seasons and 190 games (a success by anyones standards i think) has never managed more than 35 and has managed above 20 only 4 times.

robbo has played 11 seasons, and kicked over 40 in 6 of those years.

be reasonable in your expectations. if he kicks 40 goals we will be having a belter of a year.

He did say it was a target. If Newton does have any real ambitions for AFL he should be aiming for where Franklin is.

There is no reason why Newton cannot aim to play 22 games next year. MFC dont have a forward line set up (post Neitz and Robbo). Newton has burnt a golden opportunity this year to step up. If Newton cannot exceed Miller's efforts this year in 2009 and being available for all games then he is gone.

He does not want to burn another chance.

40 goals would make him our best forward.

be reasonable in your expectations. if he kicks 40 goals we will be having a belter of a year.

A touch over 2 goals p/game (assuming he misses a few with injury or whatever) in a team where he is one of the targets isn't a huge ask.

Which tall forward is going to be taking opportunities? We don't have too many other targets, with Robertson out for at least a chunk of next season, and Neitz now retired.

When forward, Holland would have been playing third wheel behind Neitz and Robertson much of the time, while Miller has generally pushed way up the ground before this year.

this season our leading goal kicker has 23 goals.

this is millers best ever return goals wise (23).

40 goals is not unreasonable if he's playing Full Forward and he's the spearhead.

What has the lowest total been over the last decade for our leading goalkicker and who has that record? Is it Robbo?

He did say it was a target. If Newton does have any real ambitions for AFL he should be aiming for where Franklin is.

No problem in aiming high, but Franklin is in the Stratosphere category.

Which tall forward is going to be taking opportunities? We don't have too many other targets, with Robertson out for at least a chunk of next season, and Neitz now retired.

How many games would Robbo's "chunk" of next season be do you think? Until Round 4? 8?

You for real?

He spent the entire second half (except for the first 2 minutes) on the bench. And plenty of time on the pine in the first half due to a concussion. Were you actually there or your is job just to pump him up despite the truth?

Perhaps I have mistaken Bode for someone else, but it sure looked like him!

Leading Goalkickers since '96:

1996 David Neitz (56)

1997 David Neitz (30), Jeff Farmer (30)

1998 Jeff Farmer (47)

1999 David Neitz (46)

2000 Jeff Farmer (76)

2001 Russell Robertson (42)

2002 David Neitz (82)

2003 David Neitz (65)

2004 David Neitz (69)

2005 Russell Robertson (73)

2006 David Neitz (68)

2007 Russell Robertson (42)

So this year is shaping up as the lowest season tally since '97, when incidentally was the last time we won the wooden spoon.