A LIST MANAGEMENT UPDATE

issarab

Despite all the recent happenings re: Shaw, and Didak's shady history off-field, both are guns, and i'd love to have either/both of them at Melbourne. Especially if we can get em for a bargain-basement price given their indiscretions.

We want KPFs or pacey players who are young.

Do Shaw and Didak fit the mould?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We want KPFs or pacey players who are young.

Do Shaw and Didak fit the mould?

No, not neccesarily.

But they are both very accomplished, quality players, who might just benefit from 'being knocked off their perch', so to speak, by a change of scenary playing at one of the lower, more cash-strapped Melbourne-based clubs.

And i can't stress enough the 'bargain price' element to getting them- they are tainted by poor off-field behaviour, especially Didak, and have been publicly named as liars. IMO it's likely they will not go for what they are really worth in terms of their playing value. Gun player or not, a culture-sore is still a culture-sore, and teams negotiating with Collingwood come trade time will be stressing this point. Collingwood may not want to let either player go, but if they do, it will be for less than they want, i guarantee it.

Didak is 25, so probably too old, although would fill that 24-27 year age-gap void on our list, and despite him being an arrogant p*ick and a scum favourite, he's actually a very good player who i rate very highly. If we could get him for cheaper than what he is worth, then i'd be all for it. Based solely on what he does on the field, would definitely be worth mid-late 1st-rounder, but because of his history of misdemeanour, would more likely be traded for 2nd rounder + a player maybe.

Heath Shaw is only about 22 or so, and has shown a fair bit in his short career to date. He's still young enough to be considered 'young' in terms of development, and has arguably shown more than any of the 22-year-olds on our list, bar maybe McLean. He's been in indifferent form of late, but at his best is a very good player.

I'll upset the nuffies on here, but I rate Alwyn better. He's yet to play 20 games, but has already shown more in the midfield and is genuinely tougher. I'm yet to see Aaron stand up in a big game. Perhaps friday night is his chance.

That said, I don't rate either terribly highly just yet, but Alwyn has decent upside.

Sometimes I think you have the opposite of rose-coloured glasses...

I don't know what colour those glasses would be, but I do know that Aaron Davey is better than Alwyn Davey.

Could give pick 17+Jamar for the Blues' pick 6 or so but that's probably not enough

That's alot closer than some of the deals been touted IMO by posters. If that landed on the table, MFC should take pick 6. That would leave 1,6,18,..,..,... . But because of GC17 Carlton might not budge and keep 6 or 7 or whatever it is.

Collingwood is keen to trade - according to one of the poster's. J.Fraser struggling.

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you guys serious? I thought you were a bit simple but come on.

Of all the ruckmen in the AFL which they could get with pick 6, they will go for Jamar. :wacko:

You guys must be smoking that wacky substance if you think Alwyn Davey is a possibility to come to the MFC. I'd like to hear Ash's thoughts (our resident EFC poster) but I would think he'd be an untouchable.

Only trade Jamar if we can get Warnock. What would be the point of trading Jamar to Carlton for a second or third round draft pick if Paul Johnson is our only senior ruckman for 2009 given White's finished at the club and Meeson struggles at VFL level :unsure:

Didak would be a dream trade. Trade our priority pick for him and make sure we avoid charges of theft!

Guest unstable punt
Would we want Josh Fraser at Melbourne? Personally i wouldn't want him.

He's too old (27?) for our current youth policy and would command a higher pick than we'd be willing to pay being a former #1 draft pick (?). Awfully overrated IMO, he was very very lucky to play the All-Star's match this year. He's not hard enough at the contest, injury-prone, is pretty lean for a big man and given his body-type and age, will always be, and isnt good enough in a KP to play there full-time. Almost a clone of Jeff White, but without the ruck skills and leap White once had.

no way, Fraser is an average player

Didak would be a dream trade. Trade our priority pick for him and make sure we avoid charges of theft!

We trade TJ for pick 14 but trade for Didak with our priority pick. :wacko: Talk about back to square one.

They can still delist him - they would just have to pay out his contract.

yep fantastic idea for this club.

everyone kicks and screams about sacking the ceo (who didnt get a payout, was only paid for what he worked) but you suggest we delist andpay out contracts of players?

do you not think there are a myriad of other players we could delist/retire without the need to pay out someone else?

yep fantastic idea for this club.

everyone kicks and screams about sacking the ceo (who didnt get a payout, was only paid for what he worked) but you suggest we delist andpay out contracts of players?

do you not think there are a myriad of other players we could delist/retire without the need to pay out someone else?

Didn't Nicho come to some agreement with the club to terminate his contract even though he still had a year to run.

Doubt Carroll will go for it. :lol:

Didn't Nicho come to some agreement with the club to terminate his contract even though he still had a year to run.

maybe part of the reason we're in debt...

and it would be ironic if we were to pay out carrol given that he is basically the man who replaced Nicholson, consigning him to the delist bin.

I was just saying it was possible, as deanox was suggesting it was not. I don't think we should do it.

Also I'm pretty sure (although i have no firm evidence to back this up), that the so called 'heffernan rule' does not exist, and so any player, including the 6 who recently signed, can be traded IF THEY AGREE TO IT.

I was just saying it was possible, as deanox was suggesting it was not. I don't think we should do it.

Also I'm pretty sure (although i have no firm evidence to back this up), that the so called 'heffernan rule' does not exist, and so any player, including the 6 who recently signed, can be traded IF THEY AGREE TO IT.

Such as Yze?

Guest Schtacker
You forgot pick 17 in return, which was quoted by Schtaker. (Jamar + Pick 17 for Pick 6).

Thank you

Never ceases to amaze me how some people will go out of their way to criticise someone else's post when they actually have misread it or simply omitted part of it for dramatic effect

Jamar + 17 for 6 is not the same as Jamar for 6 is it Dalrot?

This is a deep draft, meaning 17 is maybe not as far away from 6 as usual, if you know what I mean

Plus ruckmen are hard to come by and MJ has already had a few of his mandatory development years done

Blues could fall for it

The only way we will get an extra high first rounder is to package something with pick 17 IMO and I think we need to do this

Thank you

Never ceases to amaze me how some people will go out of their way to criticise someone else's post when they actually have misread it or simply omitted part of it for dramatic effect

Jamar + 17 for 6 is not the same as Jamar for 6 is it Dalrot?

This is a deep draft, meaning 17 is maybe not as far away from 6 as usual, if you know what I mean

Plus ruckmen are hard to come by and MJ has already had a few of his mandatory development years done

Blues could fall for it

The only way we will get an extra high first rounder is to package something with pick 17 IMO and I think we need to do this

So lets give them possibly the most limited 'footballer' on our list, good one!

Clearly you don't get it.

Enjoy your life in dreamland mate.

Purely based on his ruckwork, ignoring the round the ground stuff, I'd rate Jamar as one of the best in the league. He is ferocious at the ruck contests and follows up when the ball hits the ground. I love it! I said at the time and still say, he kickstarted our season. His game against Sandilands was massive, he was beaten in the first half, but had launched into the giant at every contest and wore him down. After half time he flogged Sandilands and gave our mids first use time and time again. The improvement we've made since that horrible start to the year began with Jamar. I'd hate to lose him.

Having said that, I want this club to be ruthless in pursuit of a flag. Every decision we make needs to be with 2012-2015 as the focus. If we can get Warnock and the club sees a good value trade, so be it. If the deal was good enough, I wouldn't see any player as "off the table".

Ok, I had written an even longer version but that was just ridiculous - here goes.

Ruck stocks low, as ever - keep Jamar even if he is once again a back-up ruckman. His performances have improved this year, and since White was dropped. Note tackling.

Sure retirements - Neitz, Yze, Holland. (3)

Probable retirements - White. (+1 =4)

Delisted kids - Bode, Weetra (+2 =6)

In some danger - Bell, Newton, Carroll, (lets say 1 goes = 7) (note that Carroll is contracted for 09, as is Meesen)

So, at present seven draft picks.

Valenti and Wonaeamirri promoted, five draft picks.

Obviously we keep one up our sleeve for pick 1 or 2 in the preseason. Four draft picks.

Assuming the ladder stays as it is, and we don't win 3 of our last four games, draft picks will be -

1, 17, 19, 35. Plus preseason 1. In moving on one of Bell, Newton or Carroll we may try to advance pick 35 to pick 20-something.

We will also then have six rookie list places minimum - two freed by delisted Veterans, two added by the 'compensation' rookie picks due to the compromised drafts to come, and two because Valenti and Wonaeamirri get promoted.

Final analysis of this scenario -

Four players from the first or second round of a highly regarded draft, plus the best available uncontracted player in the country, plus six rookie list additions.

-will replace-

Seven players who have, with due respect to their often illustrious careers, played an average of five games each this year.

How does that sound to you guys?