My 3 word player analysis V The Fockers

joeboy

For one, his attempt at goal was shite. Kicked it out on the full, and for a minute there I thought I was watching Newton.

When he panics under pressure he bombs it. It's great that he's getting his hands on the ball, but the ineffectiveness of his disposal is unacceptable for a player of his experience. He cost us goals today, and he cost us goals last week. Not good enough.

I was far more upset with players losing possession through over-use of the ball, mainly sideways and backwards which occurred far more often than what you're talking about.

When will Paul Wheatley finally give up his futile attempts at bombing the ball to absolutely nobody?

Honestly, it makes him look like a dumb, lazy footballer, which he is not.

He's no good

you guys all make me sick stop talking down to the

game see some good ib the game please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I admire the attitude Tooly, but honestly there wasn't huge amounts to get excited about :rolleyes: !!!

I was far more upset with players losing possession through over-use of the ball, mainly sideways and backwards which occurred far more often than what you're talking about.

Two completely separate issues.

Losing possession as a result of over-using the ball is a matter of practice. Losing possession because you choose to bomb the ball long to generally nobody in particular is just silly. Wheatley is the new Moloney, except at least Moloney tends to bomb it long to the square, which is not as bad as bombing it long to the middle of the ground where opponents can easily pounce on the loose ball and have a free run at goal.

Your post suggests that you think the players only have one of these two options, over-possessing via handballs, or bombing long to a 50-50 (sometimes 80-20) contest. Neither is a good option, and I'm sure Bailey gets equally frustrated by both.

Two completely separate issues.

Losing possession as a result of over-using the ball is a matter of practice. Losing possession because you choose to bomb the ball long to generally nobody in particular is just silly. Wheatley is the new Moloney, except at least Moloney tends to bomb it long to the square, which is not as bad as bombing it long to the middle of the ground where opponents can easily pounce on the loose ball and have a free run at goal.

Your post suggests that you think the players only have one of these two options, over-possessing via handballs, or bombing long to a 50-50 (sometimes 80-20) contest. Neither is a good option, and I'm sure Bailey gets equally frustrated by both.

At least he was moving the ball forward (stupidly or not). Long, direct and fast football has is and always will be the best way of playing the game - Watch Geelong play and how they move the ball. Yes, some kicks were to the wrong spot, but I would rather see him turn the ball over whilst trying to play a better style of football than that of going in-direct and unnecessarily sideways and backwards which is what Melbourne continually did from the second quarter onwards.

When will Paul Wheatley finally give up his futile attempts at bombing the ball to absolutely nobody?

Honestly, it makes him look like a dumb, lazy footballer, which he is not.

JD continually doing the same thing for the same outcome = dumb, lazy when doing anything. If you don't learn over how many years will you ever learn?

Bartram - missed the flight

Bate - was barely noticed

Bell - stranded at Tulla

Bruce - was rarely sighted

Buckley - exciting but reckless

Davey - a poor game

Dunn - was rarely sighted

Garland - not an influence

Jamar - was rarely sighted

C. Johnson - not the worst

P. Johnson - little to enthuse

Jones - a poor game

Martin - played a part

Miller - our best player

Morton - poor under pressure

Newton - 5 minute performance

Sylvia - junk time possessions

Warnock - missed the plane

Wheatley - not as impressive

Whelan - loose and inefficient

Valenti - gave some drive

Wonaeamirri- not on ground

I dislike when Bruce kicks.

He kicks it long every time. Which there is nothing wrong with apart from the fact we are really lacking a big KPF to take a strong mark around half forward.

Kick it around and open up a running game, Cameron.

Bruce-Rarely sighted? He must have been the invisible man to rake up 27 possessions. Most of them effective too. Also harsh on Jamar. Have a look at his score on the AFL game day Live. I think it was 108 which is a bit more than being rarely sighted. You must have been in a foul mood today mate.

We just have to turn over our older players on our list....

If you were over 26 and fit buit did not play for Melbourne today it is time to pack your bags....

So along with Yze, Holland, Jmac, Carroll the following must go

Wheatley - Overrated, not big and continues to turn the footy over.... no point getting 30 cheap kicks if you butcher the ball every time....

Cameron Bruce - More useless possessions today, trade whilst he still has some value

Whelan - loved you once upon a time but its time to go

Along with the delisting of Weetra, Meesen and the retirement of Neitz that should leave us with 10 places to fill...

2 spots go to the rookie elevations of Valenti and Wooz

Hopefully acquire Warnock in the pre season draft.

7 players in the draft which should include at least 3 top 20 picks...

Many will disagree and maybe 1 of the following players can be kept as depth players but tough decisions needs to be made... Form so long we have had a old list that only took us to a 10 goal belting to the Bombers of 00!!!!!! Tough decisions need to be made

Imagine having a team where Greeny was our oldest!! May be short term pain but for a long term gain!!!!!

7 players in the draft which should include at least 3 top 20 picks...

I think there's a maximum you can take in the draft isn't there? Is it 6? I could be making that up...

Otherwise, I admire the general gist... however we will be in a LOT of trouble if we get rid of ALL of our experience. Payers do need to ask their peers and be educated by someone other than the coaches. If Green is our ONLY player over 25 that has a history in the game, then it may stunt the growth of the team. I think behind the scenes, DB and many of the players have said that Ooze has had a lot to do with leading the kids and helping them on... and if a guy is retained only to play bit-parts throughout the year, but is there more to educate then I'm ok with that. Add to that that maturity is a HUGELY important asset. You think this year we were bad? In our better games, Wheatley, Bruce, Green, JMac etc etc were our ballwinners. Take all them away and we'll be EVEN WORSE next year.

But yes, the general idea is sound. Give us the youngest list going around and look at what happens. They all mature together, and all grow with one another on field. Short term pain for long term gain.

To that end I think all those players will be moved on (traded or delisted), except Bruce, maybe JMac, maybe Carroll... And rightly so. The thing with Bruce is even if he's still at the club in 3 years when we start rising again, will he be playing good footy? He has market value... We did it with Trapper and Woey. I just wonder if by ripping out the leaders it will have a negative impact on the younguns.

I though Bell wasn't too bad, and I'm not usually a fan.

Newton continually drives me up the wall with his inability to even recognise the footy for 95% of the game.

:o

Bit hard when he's only on the ground for 65%. ;)

The 3 things that lose football matches

Scenraio 1

When we have the football - POOR DISPOSAL and DECISION MAKING and NOT MOVING IT QUICKLY

Scenario 2

When the opposition has the football

LACK of pressure on the ball carriier and having NO INSIGHT on his next objective

Scenario 3

When the Ball is in dispute

Lack of COMITTMENT and NO TALKING and POOR TACKLING

We had our share of ALL 3 after the first quarter

Freo had all 3 in the First Quarter

Terrible Display in a Terrible Jumper

Back to the Training Track ..............Again

Time to DROP some players

Story of the year!

Bartram - 4

Bate - 5

Bell - 6

Bruce - 6

Buckley - 6

Davey - 4

Dunn - 3

Garland - 5

Jamar - 6

C. Johnson - 6

P. Johnson - 6

Jones - 3

Martin - 6

Miller - 6

Morton - 4

Newton - 2

Sylvia - 4

Warnock - 4

Wheatley - 5

Whelan - 3

Valenti - 5

Wonaeamirri- 1

Oh no! I didn't have you on my list as a Bruce hater Jerry.

I am not a Bruce hater, i was just trying to make the point that much has been written about Bruces poor kicking(which IMO hasn't been too bad this season), however his handballing has been appalling. His technique doesn't look right to me, he seems unable to get the necessary purchase on the ball to delivery it with precsion and crispness to moving targets.