Davey suspended by Leadership Group

dazzledavey36

Brilliant...just Brilliant. Oh you have to applaud the geniuses at the Junction Oval. I mean theres only so many "illnesses" a player can have.. so many footy flu's etc.. What do you do when you want to "REST" a player..especially going into a game you might do ok in..and the percentage is creeping up ?? A noble serf falls on his sword. Oh for its inventiveness its worth a Logie.. No an Emmy.. no bugger it..give the man an Oscar. Simply brilliant !!

Oh there re be amongst you some who dont see the humour or the cynicism ??

Please pay attention:

The Sherman school of footy, class 101 !! Keep your eye on the prize ;)

Its Ok Bails... I wont spill...lol :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

MFC taking strides, and coming up with the most inventive tank yet seen!!!!

In all seriousness, this is not a damaging story. Davey's reputation is tarnished a bit, but it shows he did the right thing (after the wrong thing), and the leadership group did too.

Sends a message.

A set of rules are drawn up. Each and every player agrees to said rules. Players break said rules. = punishment. (Brock, Sylvia)

Player who farks up and admits it to his leadership group = intestinal fortitude (davey). Even if it is the slightest breach or the largest breach one shall rule them all.

People who without known facts of players unprofessional behavior and who show disgust at said punishment after complaining about MFC's tolerance for weak willed players = uninformed hyperbole

Personally I think it is fantastic to see from both Davey (it is fine to admit mistake but tough to not do again. See one B Hall) and the leadership group. We have complained for years about a lack of leadership, we finally show some by, both parties and it is not good enough. Confused

I suppose him being removed from the leadership group is tanking as well. Give me a break. He missed a flight and is being punished like a naughty boy. The question is `will the leadership group still make these decisions when we are back in the eight and the four points counts ??

I suppose him being removed from the leadership group is tanking as well. Give me a break. He missed a flight and is being punished like a naughty boy. The question is `will the leadership group still make these decisions when we are back in the eight and the four points counts ??

I would like to think so. We've had a 'boys club culture' for far too long. Players holding places on names alone and too many pats on the back.

Spot on. When asked about the suspension on SEN this morning, Chris Connolly made the point that "Where we are as a club at the moment, the suspension was appropriate". He also mentioned that any penalty has to be endorsed by the football department.

Reading between the lines, if we were contending for a finals position, Davey wouldn't be suspended.

Out: Davey

In: Tanking

If he is not injured, then this is clearly a tanking tactic. The doggies were going to be hard enough to beat with flash in the side, without him makes it a near impossible task.

I am all for it, rest the Stars and play the kids. Who knows, the kids may just rise up and give the dogs a bloody fright!

word em up, the more stars on ice the better for the last few games. Get a few more into Morton & friends, get the right picks and foccus on next year.

Spot on. When asked about the suspension on SEN this morning, Chris Connolly made the point that "Where we are as a club at the moment, the suspension was appropriate". He also mentioned that any penalty has to be endorsed by the football department.

Reading between the lines, if we were contending for a finals position, Davey wouldn't be suspended.

I read between the lines another way. "Where we are as a club" does not necessarily mean where we are placed on the ladder. I take it as a comment on where there club is it culturally, regarding things such as discipline, expectations and application.

I take it as a comment on where there club is it culturally, regarding things such as discipline, expectations and application.

Agree Stigga.

Firstly, we dont know exactly what Davey so I dont see the purpose of posters trying to 2nd guess what happened and judge the penalty. Also we are not sure exactly when the Club was told or found out about the incident.

But if the rules that were applied by the leadership group at the start of the year and endorsed by the football department and applied to McLean, Sylvia and Carroll then I dont see why it should not be applied throughout the season. It is interesting that the penalty was applied by the players representatives and approved by the Footy department.

In regard to claims of tanking, I think football club executives can take actions to tank and coaches take actions to tank but the players doing so? It would seem against the grain that the players would tank. Why would McLean come back and play last game with a ruptured ankle and then vote for the penalty. If the Club was going to tank it would be far simpler and less obvious to "rest" a player who may be carrying a niggle.

I would hope that the consistency of the message coming through from now four incidents will instil in the young playing group that application, focus and discipline that are required at all times.

Agree Stigga.

Firstly, we dont know exactly what Davey so I dont see the purpose of posters trying to 2nd guess what happened and judge the penalty. Also we are not sure exactly when the Club was told or found out about the incident.

We do know exactly what Davey did. Connolly stated this morning that he was given permission to attend a funeral. Davey admitted after the Brisbane game, that he had a few drinks and as a result, missed a 6.00am flight the following morning. Missing the flight resulted in him being late in attendance for a club engagement (Connolly didn't say if it was training).

If Davey hadn't owned up to the fact that it was his drinking that caused him to miss the flight, the club would be none the wiser. It begs the question, would Davey have owned up if he hadn't recently been appointed to the leadership group.

We do know exactly what Davey did. Connolly stated this morning that he was given permission to attend a funeral. Davey admitted after the Brisbane game, that he had a few drinks and as a result, missed a 6.00am flight the following morning. Missing the flight resulted in him being late in attendance for a club engagement (Connolly didn't say if it was training).

If Davey hadn't owned up to the fact that it was his drinking that caused him to miss the flight, the club would be none the wiser. It begs the question, would Davey have owned up if he hadn't recently been appointed to the leadership group.

But they would have been wise to it because regardless of whether he was drinking or not he still missed the flight and was still late as a result.

Under the old regime then no, he probably wouldn't have mentioned anything, regardless of whether he was in the leadership group or not. However under the current regime I am sure he would have owned up regardless of his presence in the leadership group or not, and this is quite heartening as it is apparent that the winds of cultural change are blowing a gale.

We only know part of what happened. We dont know if he was intoxicated or missed a flight and also "had a few drinks". That phrase can mean many things to many people. And you are right we dont know if its training or another engagement. But regardless it is poor that he did not make it. Whether he fessed up or not to the drinking is not the issue. Its the fact that as part of the leadership group he was not there when required. I think Stigga makes a valid point on how people react and behave in the new culture.

Yes but, 'Nasher'. It hurts the side a little NOW, but strengthens the whole group for the long term, it may well save us down the track.

deeluded is right. we need to change the culture of this footy club, and it seems the players realise this and are taking it in hand themselves.

let the team play for each other, not as individuals. if you dont want to follow the team rules you dont get to play, it doesnt matter how talented you are. steve johnson is very talented, but he had to be committed before he was any use to geelong.

Aaron and the MFC will probably be all the better for this.

My real sympathies lie with the family and friends of the deceased.

Very good post. Lets hope Aaron learns from it though.

as much as i commend the leadership group on their action, and the professionalness the club is showing, i wonder if this game was a game we needed to win to get to finals would he be suspended????? :angry:

CC's comments are a fair indication that he wouldn't be, given your scenario.

CC's comments are a fair indication that he wouldn't be, given your scenario.

but perhaps the suggestion is that if we were in a position to play finals we wouldnt be having this sort of problems with offfield behaviour and culture?

hopefully they are attempting to instill a new culture around the place that will see the players professional in their approach on and off the field. and hopefully this will have a flow on effect for on field results.

but perhaps the suggestion is that if we were in a position to play finals we wouldnt be having this sort of problems with offfield behaviour and culture?

hopefully they are attempting to instill a new culture around the place that will see the players professional in their approach on and off the field. and hopefully this will have a flow on effect for on field results.

It's a win allround. 1. Shows that finally the club is putting the team above the individual. 2. Club shows it's serious about changing the culture. 3. Davey and others will realise just how hard it is to be a leader at this club and how priveliged you are to be a part of the leadership group.

This is a great move by the club. Alot has changed this year and I think the onfield turnaround will come sooner than many expect. Give this group a solid skills focused preseason and watch out!

If the quote a few posts back is accurate, I'm not sure how you get that.

"Given where we're at as a Club, the suspension was appropriate"

ie. Given we're building a new team, with new Coach, and are bottom of the ladder...

That's how I read it, anyway.

If the quote a few posts back is accurate, I'm not sure how you get that.

"Given where we're at as a Club, the suspension was appropriate"

ie. Given we're building a new team, with new Coach, and are bottom of the ladder...

That's how I read it, anyway.

And that's how I took it, based on the tone of Connolly's voice. He said it in a relaxed manner, rather than a stern "where we're at as a club". This gave the impression that, if this week was the last H&A game, and we were playing for a spot in the finals, Davey would be playing.

i dare say that the wrong thing wasnt that he was in darwin attending a funeral.

it was probably doing something else while up there, like hitting the booze perhaps.

oh well, fair play to the team - they are trying to change the culture and this will do it slowly but surely

no no no. he was at a funeral in dawrin (the club knew).

He was told to take the 6 oclock flight.

instead, he had a few beers and it wasnt on his mind, so he caught the later flight, and he broke the team rules.

so he is playing for sandy this week and is out of the leader ship group!