• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Next season's Leadership Group

H_T

BRUCE ©

GREEN (VC)

MCLEAN

MILLER

BATE

DAVEY

MCDONALD

There was 7 this year I don't see why that would change.

Are you deluded?

Bruce as captain lol

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ, Weetra, Jamar, Newton and Zomer...

But seriously...

Green has done enough to be at least considered for Captain... But it'll probably be Bruce. My preference?

McDonald © - Burns has done it at the Pies at a late stage in his career, I don't see why JMac can't. He's more than earned it and it would be a great way to end his career, going out on 250+ games as the club's captain. Probably won't happen, but I can dream.

McLean - I think after his comments on SEN today he may have been told to cool his heels for a year or two, an given his indiscretions I reckon it's fair enough that he be made to wait a year or two.

Green - If he did an 8 week injury tomorrow, he's still ESILY done enough to earn a place in the group.

Miller - Is starting to lead on field now... The cupboard is a bit bare on our list, and he's as likely a candidate as anyone.

Bruce - He doesn't inspire ME as a leader, but then I don't play for the club.

The VC position could go to any of that group except perhaps Miller. McLean keeps getting talked about as a future leader, and VC would perhaps be seen as an education. Green has earned the Vice captaincy, and Bruce is still one of the more serious players on the list.

I could easily see a 6th spot coming in, and would love it to go to any of the following:

Davey - Is of the right age, but isn't consistent enough both with his footy, and with injury.

Jones - If he wasn't as young as he is he'd be in there already.

PJ - Won't happen, but given we have no FF these days he's the closest thing we have to a big, scary presence up that end of the ground. I think in his late 20s he'll become a force in the AFL... maybe not a Fevola-like force, but he'll be a good player. Hence the idea of having him in the leadership group.

Wheatley - Loving his footy at the moment. He's the most unlikely personality to lead, but on-field he's something of a general. Given our list's weaknesses, he's actually one of our best players!... On further reflection, it says something about our leaders that I have included Wheatley at all...

White - He's never been much of a leader... And his footy isn't inspiring anyone. But the guy is a B&F winner, a professional in every sense, came closeish to a brownlow... Why isn't he ever spoken about?

I think Bate needs another strong season before he is considered for the leadership group, his leadership qualities should continue to be developed behind the scenes though.

How so? I could see how you'd put others ahead of him, you seem to be suggesting that theres obvious reasons as to why he's not up to it though.

Personally I never think Davey will be 4 quarter workhorse, its just the nature of his game. He is a match turner though, probably the only one we really have. I think he needs to take that on as a responsibility and a leadership role could be good for him that sense. His game is currently missing that extra level where he really dictates play, a leadership role could help push him to that level.

I agree. Allow Bate a chance to have another really strong season before placing extra pressure on him.

That Bate has very good leadership qualities is undoubted but as a player, the team would be better off with him being allowed the luxury of being led byothers while he continues to develop his game for a while longer.....before having even more destracting expectations thrust on him. Being a natural leader he will simply lead by example in any case. I suspect he's NOT the sort of person that needs a title to boost him or haunt him. More-over he would be very supportive of whoever are selected as leaders and thus show leadership in that respect as well.

Guest Colossus_2000

Dunny has a solid football brain, is relishing his new role, and isn't overly arrogrant / cocky (like some).... but thats not why he was chosen by me.

Lynden does a lot of charity work in his spare time, and proved last year he was our best clubman. He was the one to make the new players, and our new coach in a way, welcome to the club. I've heard he has the respect of the players, on field and off.

I just feel this are admirable qualities in a leader. I don't think he would make for a great captain, but as a club leader, I believe in him.

Plus a great smile for the press conferences :)

call me a wuss..Im going to wait to see who is ACTUALLY on our list for '09 !! ;)

© Miller

(VC) McLean

3. Green

4. McDonald

5. Bruce

6. Moloney

7. Jones

Yes, that is Brad Miller you see tossing the coin. Passionate, hard-working, charismatic, consistent, not injury-prone. Five things every captain must be.

McLean Captain

Green VC

Jones

Miller

Rivers

Perfect, except if Rivers continues to battle injury I would say he won't make it into the group. Needs to get fit before anything else.

Also wouldn't mind to see McLean and Green share the role as co-captains, but I know a lot of people hate that idea.

C = Green

VC = McLean

Leadership = Miller, Bate, Jones

Rivers if he can get fit, we need a leader in defence

Jmac deserves to be in there, but DB must really look towards the future

Dunny has a solid football brain, is relishing his new role, and isn't overly arrogrant / cocky (like some).... but thats not why he was chosen by me.

Lynden does a lot of charity work in his spare time, and proved last year he was our best clubman. He was the one to make the new players, and our new coach in a way, welcome to the club. I've heard he has the respect of the players, on field and off.

I just feel this are admirable qualities in a leader. I don't think he would make for a great captain, but as a club leader, I believe in him.

Plus a great smile for the press conferences :)

Fair enough, he wouldn't be my choice as I value onfield performance quite high for a leadership role. Your response was alot better than I thought it was going to be and I've learnt a bit more about the kid that I didn't already know

It's official!

I didn't think that it would happen so quickly, but things are turning around!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...7-19742,00.html

"Rivers, who will now help out with defensive coaching, has also been added to the leadership group."

"Brad Green, overlooked in a player vote at the start of the year, has been elevated.

Brock McLean, removed from the group after indiscretions earlier in the year, has also been welcomed back.

Aaron Davey and Brent Moloney, who like Rivers will miss the rest of the year, are the other additions.

Veteran Adem Yze is no longer in the leadership group, along with the injured Russell Robertson and retired David Neitz.

So that now makes it:

Bruce

Junior

Beamer

Rivers

Davey

Green

McLean

edit: forgot Miller

The main article is about how Rivers is going to be put on ice till next year.

AFI, The article was more interesting for the issues other than Rivers being put to pasture for the rest of the season.

Its certainly refreshing that:

1. Leadership group is seen as an evolving unit to take into account the many factors that affect and influence a team.

2. The players who voted in the leaders at the start of the year are required to review the leadership group and consider their selections.

3. There appears reward for players who are genuinely seeking to lead others on the ground and not just get the leadership through number of games or age.

4. While naturally Neitz has been removed from the leaders group due to retirement, it is entirely sensible that Yze and Robbo have been removed by the players from the group. Hopefully that is a sign they are starting to recognise what is and what isnt leadership.

This is a healthy indication of growing maturity amongst the playing group. Good reasons to watch the new leaders progress over the next nine weeks. Great stuff. Keep it going.

AFI, The article was more interesting for the issues other than Rivers being put to pasture for the rest of the season.

Its certainly refreshing that:

1. Leadership group is seen as an evolving unit to take into account the many factors that affect and influence a team.

2. The players who voted in the leaders at the start of the year are required to review the leadership group and consider their selections.

3. There appears reward for players who are genuinely seeking to lead others on the ground and not just get the leadership through number of games or age.

4. While naturally Neitz has been removed from the leaders group due to retirement, it is entirely sensible that Yze and Robbo have been removed by the players from the group. Hopefully that is a sign they are starting to recognise what is and what isnt leadership.

This is a healthy indication of growing maturity amongst the playing group. Good reasons to watch the new leaders progress over the next nine weeks. Great stuff. Keep it going.

Good post. I thought I would start this thread yesterday, to see how everyone's ideas compared to the announcement by the mfc. Very Interesting. Good to see McLean back in, and Green rewarded. I think a change in leadership is good for this time of year, a review by the players is good, its all positive. Positive vibes coming out of mfc in what has been a tough year.

I see Jeff White has been named on a seven man bench. A sign of things to come perhaps. Bailey has told Prendergast "give me kids, kids and more kids" for recruiting. To continue along the youth line. Next year MFC will be the youngest AFL side by far. White, Yze, Holland, Whelan, Carroll are all on notice - 9 weeks to show the coach why they should be kept on the list.

White, Yze, Holland, Whelan, Carroll are all on notice - 9 weeks to show the coach why they should be kept on the list.

There is no doubt about this. IMO only Whelan has a chance to go on and that by no means is certain at this stage. I would not be surprised if Junior were to finish this year as well as he is not spending time in the midfield like he used to and IMO he has struggled (valiantly) all year.

There is no doubt about this. IMO only Whelan has a chance to go on and that by no means is certain at this stage. I would not be surprised if Junior were to finish this year as well as he is not spending time in the midfield like he used to and IMO he has struggled (valiantly) all year.

I see he is out with a groin. Been a great servant of the club Junior. I'm not sure where he is situated with his contract at present. If it is only to the end of this season, they might have to sit down with him. If he is contracted until the end of 2009, he may go around again. Which he deserves. Yes Whelan needs to string several games together now that he is back in. Good to see he got back in too last week. He provides that pace and carry and breaks through the lines in defence which fits Bailey's game style. He takes them on. Which is the pre-cursor for injection of confidence for the rest of the side.

Bails needs this from the backline. Thats why your Peter Burgoyne's, Heath Shaw's, etc are so important for their respective sides. They start the ball rolling with attacking plays. And it filters through further down field.

Yeah Junior deserves to go out on a relative high.

2 B&Fs in 06 and 07 is a brilliant way to finish a very good career.

Certainly he has struggled this year, and I think Junior is the sort of player who wouldn't hold onto their position on the list just for the sake of it. I think he'll call it quits and he should.

Yze and White won't go as easily, but they should certainly be pushed (not so gently either) into retirement. White should retire while he's ahead and leave the game on a high. He's been an absolutely brilliant servant of our club but his time has come.

I can see an absolute thrashing of Richmond in Round 22, if all these retirements go ahead.