Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Clarke goes for 166.

I thought he'd play his way back into form, he admitted to being lazy at stages this summer but I felt he was working really hard to improve his game.

The 6th highest partnership ever by an Australian pair and the 2nd highest for the 4th wicket. Very good knock from the skipper, 10th most double centuries

Edited by 45HG16

Good cricket results worldwide. Steyn and Morkel did everyone a favour by putting England back in their box. Can someone tell me why Onions was dropped?

As for us, I'm bitterly disappointed with our batting. Clarke should have hung around a little longer. 2 more runs and they would have had the highest ever partnership in Australia, 50 odd more runs would have made it the highest 4th wicket partnership for Australia, and 80 odd runs would have broken the record for highest 4th wicket partnership ever.

Seriously, though, those two weren't in good batting form, so it was good for them to get some runs. North, on the other hand, did nothing to improve his standing. Haddin, Johnson and Hauritz managed to come in and start hitting the ball straight away. North took 46 balls for his 21. Too slow given the circumstances. And then he went out to another waft outside off stump.

Also, good to see Siddle grab 2 wickets. He's bowled better than his figures suggest, but he needs wickets to keep his spot anyway.

It's fair enough to ask the question, but I wouldn't drop him for the last match of this series.

no, I wouldn't either. But he has to come under some consideration soon. Comparing him to Bollinger & Johnson....those two have taken far more wickets. Hilfenhaus was in terrific form pre-injury and can swing it, Siddle appears more "straight up & down" and at times I feel bowls too short.

no, I wouldn't either. But he has to come under some consideration soon. Comparing him to Bollinger & Johnson....those two have taken far more wickets. Hilfenhaus was in terrific form pre-injury and can swing it, Siddle appears more "straight up & down" and at times I feel bowls too short.

Siddle has taken a couple of wickets in Farhat and Malik has 2/20 off 11.

good win 3 nil, Siddle gets 3

The 3 wins still covers up cracks in the team that will be exploited by the Sth Africa's, India's and England sides of this world. Winning against lowly ranked teams in WI and Paki's should have been like "shelling pea's". If these two teams (WI & Pak) were 10% more professional and took catches when required, the results and the flak by the Australian media on the Australian team would have been far different.

I don't expect we'll see much different in the 50 overs format at the end of the day. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see some magnificent innings by the likes of Gayle & Umar to put their sides in good positions at some stages of the games before the finals.

As for the Twenty/20's...that is just hit & giggle, anything can happen.

FWIW, I thought both WI and Pakistan would be easy beats this summer. I was pleasantly surprised by the WI and there some hope for the future there.

Not so Pakistan who have deep problems on and off the field. Besides the first day or so in Sydney, Australia played both sides on pitches that were absolute belters. Australian benefited from and capitalised on mental lapses from both sides (in the case of Pakistan..huge ones!). Both sides played to form although many of the WI's really stepped up.

Its clear that when we play the Ashes next Summer, we will face an English team that will not [censored] their wickets easily nor give away an advantage when they are in front. They are unlikely to have any real weak links in their team that will give Australia an easy opening in a match. The Australian team are young and still inexperienced in cricket terms and have shown the following characteristics:

1. They no longer have a true match winner with either bat or ball. Gone are the days when any of Hayden, Ponting, Gilly, McGrath or Warne would change a game. Ponting is a class act but at 35 off his best (He is still Australia's premier bat nonetheless). Johnson takes wickets in spasms but we have no bowler that can rip through a batting line up. We require 5 bowlers bowling well to chip in with 1,2 or 3 wickets here or there.

2. Ponting has had to work harder marshalling his bowlers to make the break and was at most times superior to Yousuf and had the wood on Gayle. However Gayle impressed at times.

3. We found an opening pair in Watson and Katich. We have question marks at 4 (Hussey) and 6 (North). Ponting despite his injury will still be effective at 3. He just wont be intimidating as in past years.

4. Watson may be the all rounder we have been looking for (pray his body holds up). His batting has been great at opening and his ability to reverse swing important at critical times.

5. Dont let the figures fool you, Hauritz is pedestrian as a spinner. He will never have it as easy as he had this summer and was the chief beneficiary of some truly suicidal batting. At no time did he look like he would rip through a side. But I cant think of someone better. But the question mark remains on him and the selectors are wise to explore all options at this point. Its a pretty bare cupboard.

6. The pace attack is workmanlike and honest. Johnston can hurt in a couple of overs and is a genuine wicket taker but is hot and cold. Bollinger bowled well. Siddle lacks a killer delivery and is a little straight up and down. Hilfy back would add a good blend.

While much can happen to both sides in 12 months, at this point I think Australia could draw the the series in Australia for the Ashes but not win the coveted urn.

FWIW, I thought both WI and Pakistan would be easy beats this summer. I was pleasantly surprised by the WI and there some hope for the future there.

Not so Pakistan who have deep problems on and off the field. Besides the first day or so in Sydney, Australia played both sides on pitches that were absolute belters. Australian benefited from and capitalised on mental lapses from both sides (in the case of Pakistan..huge ones!). Both sides played to form although many of the WI's really stepped up.

Its clear that when we play the Ashes next Summer, we will face an English team that will not [censored] their wickets easily nor give away an advantage when they are in front. They are unlikely to have any real weak links in their team that will give Australia an easy opening in a match. The Australian team are young and still inexperienced in cricket terms and have shown the following characteristics:

1. They no longer have a true match winner with either bat or ball. Gone are the days when any of Hayden, Ponting, Gilly, McGrath or Warne would change a game. Ponting is a class act but at 35 off his best (He is still Australia's premier bat nonetheless). Johnson takes wickets in spasms but we have no bowler that can rip through a batting line up. We require 5 bowlers bowling well to chip in with 1,2 or 3 wickets here or there.

2. Ponting has had to work harder marshalling his bowlers to make the break and was at most times superior to Yousuf and had the wood on Gayle. However Gayle impressed at times.

3. We found an opening pair in Watson and Katich. We have question marks at 4 (Hussey) and 6 (North). Ponting despite his injury will still be effective at 3. He just wont be intimidating as in past years.

4. Watson may be the all rounder we have been looking for (pray his body holds up). His batting has been great at opening and his ability to reverse swing important at critical times.

5. Dont let the figures fool you, Hauritz is pedestrian as a spinner. He will never have it as easy as he had this summer and was the chief beneficiary of some truly suicidal batting. At no time did he look like he would rip through a side. But I cant think of someone better. But the question mark remains on him and the selectors are wise to explore all options at this point. Its a pretty bare cupboard.

6. The pace attack is workmanlike and honest. Johnston can hurt in a couple of overs and is a genuine wicket taker but is hot and cold. Bollinger bowled well. Siddle lacks a killer delivery and is a little straight up and down. Hilfy back would add a good blend.

While much can happen to both sides in 12 months, at this point I think Australia could draw the the series in Australia for the Ashes but not win the coveted urn.

Nicely summed up there RR, To me this whole summer gone just proves that the selectors have got to really work hard over the next 10 months. There is much Talent in this country but is there any that is Better than what is already in the Test side??

Hussey worries me greatly...Getting Man of the Match after being dropped 4 times was a joke (sorry mr cricket but it was) yes we got a 5 nil summer but the Band aids holding it all together are not all that strong.

If Ponting had been caught on 0 in the first innings in Tassie would it be a better result for Australia Long Term......

Why?

would have shown the problems the Test X1 has a lot Quicker to all Australians. The Fact he went on to make a Double Ton was great But it was only allowed by some woefull fielding.

That a decent side would not have dropped.

would have shown the problems the Test X1 has a lot Quicker to all Australians. The Fact he went on to make a Double Ton was great But it was only allowed by some woefull fielding.

That a decent side would not have dropped.

Says nothing why Ponting going for zero would have been better for Australia in the LT. Another of your ridiculous gems WYL.

looking forward to 20 20 at gabba tonite

Hodge,Siddle, Bravo,White,Taylor,Symonds,Vettori,Hopes ,D Hussey all playing

Vics should win hopefully

Watched Inside Cricket last night WonnaJurrah, and Brad Hodge was interviewed and let it be known that there is one player in doubt for tonight. He said it is an International player....Mark Waugh thought it might be D.Hussey.

Pretty fair analysis, RR, except I disagree with the final statement. I believe we can (and will) win the Ashes this year.

We now have a world-class opening pair again. Katich and Watson are high class batsmen who complement each other well. And they both bowl, which is nice.

Agree re: Hauritz. The figures flatter him immensely, and Yousuf said as much after the match. A lot of his wickets were the batsman playing a woeful shot. I'd hazard a guess that less than half Hauritz' wickets were on account of good bowling (though he got Manzoor yesterday with some smart pace variation). Graeme Swann is well, well in front of him.

Good to see Siddle back in the wickets. IMO he's better than Bollinger, but didn't get the results to show it. Consequently, he's going to need to really out-bowl Bollinger in NZ to keep his spot when Hilfenhaus returns (and Hilfenhaus goes straight into the team, no questions. He swings it. Enough said). Siddle swung it both ways yesterday, though. If he keeps doing that hopefully he can get a ton of NZ wickets.

Watched Inside Cricket last night WonnaJurrah, and Brad Hodge was interviewed and let it be known that there is one player in doubt for tonight. He said it is an International player....Mark Waugh thought it might be D.Hussey.

It has to be, doesn't it? I mean, Ross Taylor comes in tonight, so someone has to go from the team that beat Tasmania. Won't be Hodge or Finch, they batted well at 1 and 2. 3-7 are Hussey, White, Bravo, McDonald, Wade. Won't be Bravo, Wade or White. Could be McDonald, but he's in better form than Hussey. So I reckon Hussey gets the chop.

Pretty fair analysis, RR, except I disagree with the final statement. I believe we can (and will) win the Ashes this year.

We now have a world-class opening pair again. Katich and Watson are high class batsmen who complement each other well. And they both bowl, which is nice.

Fair enough but you have highlighted some compelling reasons why we will struggle. I agree about the openers. I think Watson and Katich have been good in Australia and deserve their chance. Watson's reverse swing complements the other fast bowlers. Katich...dunno about him. Why hasn't he bowled earlier..injury..confidence. We3 need wrist spin. If Hauritz wickets flatter him what of Katich?? Katich had on easy street with kamakaze batmen with no hope of winning.

Our middle order has real holes at 4 and 6. I am worried that 2 test against NZ and Pakistan (in England) wont help solve it.

Agree re: Hauritz. The figures flatter him immensely, and Yousuf said as much after the match. A lot of his wickets were the batsman playing a woeful shot. I'd hazard a guess that less than half Hauritz' wickets were on account of good bowling (though he got Manzoor yesterday with some smart pace variation). Graeme Swann is well, well in front of him.

There's the rub. I dont think we have a capable enough 4th innings bowler...England will not prostitute their wickets as willingly as the Pakistanis.

Good to see Siddle back in the wickets. IMO he's better than Bollinger, but didn't get the results to show it. Consequently, he's going to need to really out-bowl Bollinger in NZ to keep his spot when Hilfenhaus returns (and Hilfenhaus goes straight into the team, no questions. He swings it. Enough said). Siddle swung it both ways yesterday, though. If he keeps doing that hopefully he can get a ton of NZ wickets.

Then so will Bollinger. I dont mind either bowler. I want the one that gets the most wickets. Problem is that there were times that Siddle look straight up and down throughout the summer.

Fair enough but you have highlighted some compelling reasons why we will struggle. I agree about the openers. I think Watson and Katich have been good in Australia and deserve their chance. Watson's reverse swing complements the other fast bowlers. Katich...dunno about him. Why hasn't he bowled earlier..injury..confidence. We3 need wrist spin. If Hauritz wickets flatter him what of Katich?? Katich had on easy street with kamakaze batmen with no hope of winning.

Our middle order has real holes at 4 and 6. I am worried that 2 test against NZ and Pakistan (in England) wont help solve it.

There's the rub. I dont think we have a capable enough 4th innings bowler...England will not prostitute their wickets as willingly as the Pakistanis.

Then so will Bollinger. I dont mind either bowler. I want the one that gets the most wickets. Problem is that there were times that Siddle look straight up and down throughout the summer.

bravo out hand injury

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/peter-si...f-1225821044172

Dwayne Bravo out of our line-up with a hand injury. Not good. Lose a bowler and a batsman.

Katich didn't bowl before because of his shoulder. Before he bowled in Hobart he had a saline injection into his shoulder to free it up and allow him to bowl.

And I didn't get around to bagging England.

Seriously, Morkel highlighted a weakness in Strauss' game (angled in from round the wicket), Cook is still susceptible, Trott's no good, Pietersen's out of form, Prior's no good, Broad and Anderson weren't that good either.

If not for some luck and some defiant batting from Collingwood and Onions England would have lost 3-1.

Agree there. North isn't good enough, and should be replaced for the NZ and Pakistan tests, even though they're not the best practice.

I still think Hussey should be batting at 5 and Clarke at 4. He bats further down in ODIs, where he is indisputably one of the world's best, and he always bats well with the tail.

Edited by titan_uranus

Dwayne Bravo out of our line-up with a hand injury. Not good. Lose a bowler and a batsman.

Bingo. There it is.

Says nothing why Ponting going for zero would have been better for Australia in the LT. Another of your ridiculous gems WYL.

Gee thanks RR

Ponting Batting at 3 is a worry going forward. North is not up to it, and Hussey now looks to be on the wane for test cricket.

By Australia winning 5 tests over the summer i wonder whether all these problems will be fully worked through before next summer.

I don't think we learnt much about the Australian X1 at all over this summer- very strange!

How good is Hauritz, this summer he did his job for sure but we still don't know a lot....

Gee thanks RR

Ponting Batting at 3 is a worry going forward. North is not up to it, and Hussey now looks to be on the wane for test cricket.

Ponting is still better than most other cricketers at 3. He carried an injury through most of the Test but he will have to evolve his game at 35. He still went onto make his century count. He is hardly a worry. Your attitude toward him may be so.

I don't think we learnt much about the Australian X1 at all over this summer- very strange!

How good is Hauritz, this summer he did his job for sure but we still don't know a lot....

I thought we learnt heaps about the team and the way its plays. Watson stepping up, North and Hussey. Its a worry if you watch six tests and you cant draw anything from them.

We had clear evidence about where Hauritz is out. Unless teams are giong to go the slog, Hauritz, nor any of his teammates have the individual class to run through a batting line up. Hauritz is the best option we have atm. I dont think he is a match winner and I dont think he is potent enough. Solid team teams will keep him out. Class teams will cut him to pieces. We are along way from the days of having McGrath,Warne and Gillespie at their peak

Ponting is still better than most other cricketers at 3. He carried an injury through most of the Test but he will have to evolve his game at 35. He still went onto make his century count. He is hardly a worry. Your attitude toward him may be so.

I thought we learnt heaps about the team and the way its plays. Watson stepping up, North and Hussey. Its a worry if you watch six tests and you cant draw anything from them.

We had clear evidence about where Hauritz is out. Unless teams are giong to go the slog, Hauritz, nor any of his teammates have the individual class to run through a batting line up. Hauritz is the best option we have atm. I dont think he is a match winner and I dont think he is potent enough. Solid team teams will keep him out. Class teams will cut him to pieces. We are along way from the days of having McGrath,Warne and Gillespie at their peak

I have never doubted Ponting as a batsman at all, i just think in 12 months time when the ashes are on the line he is going to be found out as a number 3 Batsmen. It does happen to all players. Time will tell.

Th opposition we had this summer made it hard to gauge much on how good the side was, but sure you can only play who you are given and we won convincingly on paper.

Hussey and North just treaded water in my opinion, The century Mr cricket made was probably the most unconvincing Ton i have ever seen-he should never have recieved man of the match.

Granted Watson stepped up-that was a positive.

I have never doubted Ponting as a batsman at all, i just think in 12 months time when the ashes are on the line he is going to be found out as a number 3 Batsmen. It does happen to all players. Time will tell.

Th opposition we had this summer made it hard to gauge much on how good the side was, but sure you can only play who you are given and we won convincingly on paper.

Hussey and North just treaded water in my opinion, The century Mr cricket made was probably the most unconvincing Ton i have ever seen-he should never have recieved man of the match.

Granted Watson stepped up-that was a positive.

For someone who has never doubted Ponting as a batsman, you have all the hallmarks of someone who does.

Ponting is good enough to understand the changing of the season and adapt his batting to the needs of the situation. Many of the top batsman modify their game in their final years. S Waugh and Tendulkar are good examples. And if he is going to be found out at No 3 by England who is going to do it??? In your own view you dont rate Broad or Anderson. You forget that Roach, Asif and Aamer (at times) were world class. England certainly dont have any pushing 150kmh.

We know exactly how good this side is. Its better than the WI and Pakistan but its not the intimidating side it was. I think we will have a very close contest with England and tie the series. Australia has lapses during a Test but it knows how to eek a win out of a tough situation. It does not lay down easily. You need to look beyond the results in the paper.

Hussey and North did little to convince indeed. Hussey may have been lucky to have to been dropped but his gritty and gutsy innings anchored the win. Of course he should have been man of the match. Who else could have got it? :rolleyes: Another of your gems there WYL .