Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

What about Ponting Trying to hook his first ball! A 5 day Test Match on a massive Green Top with a sodden outfield.

Wouldn't you watch the ball for a while, see what it does.

Pathetic Effort-Well done to the Paki's btw, they bowled magnificently.

But Pontings effort today was just crap, has the modern cricketer lost the ability to have a long attention span??

Hussey's shot was unnecesary as well. Hooking just before Tea...Why? it's a 5 day game on a green Top!!

Ok if your stumps get rattled that's good bowling, no problems, but playing one day shots under todays conditions is just not acceptable.

I think a few senior players in our XI have got lazy, living on very nice contracts. Even if it is only one or two% off mentally.

Today was a day to dig in and do nothing fancy. Not one of our Batsmen had that mindset. (clarke was beaten by a ripper so i will excuse him to some degree)

Does Ponting understand anything about strategy??

Thats enough Ranting for now, I feel Better already.

Hall of Mirrors Aussies.....

What about Ponting Trying to hook his first ball! A 5 day Test Match on a massive Green Top with a sodden outfield.

Wouldn't you watch the ball for a while, see what it does.

But Pontings effort today was just crap, has the modern cricketer lost the ability to have a long attention span??

It was a half hearted pull shot trying to protect his injured arm. I doubt whether he would have done that if 100% fit. Worst shot I have seen Ponting play. I dont think it has anything to do with attention span. More protection.

Well done to the Paki's btw, they bowled magnificently.

I think a few senior players in our XI have got lazy, living on very nice contracts. Even if it is only one or two% off mentally.

Today was a day to dig in and do nothing fancy. Not one of our Batsmen had that mindset. (clarke was beaten by a ripper so i will excuse him to some degree)

Pakistan bowled superbly on a wicket that finally gave a contest between bat and ball. A rarity in Test cricket over the past 10 years!!!

Its a pity that when there was a challenge there, not one of the batsman rose to meet it. A few of our Test batsman have been on cruising control this summer and have looked better than they are due to lame featherbeds that break a bowlers heart.

Clarke, Hussey (He's finished for mine), North (His spot is in starting to look shaky) and Hughes all played poorly under the conditions.

The 1st day was further proof that the Australians cannot play the moving ball. They struggled with it in South Africa and England. In the modern age of dead lifeless wickets we dont have the technique nor the mind set to cope with it.

Does Ponting understand anything about strategy??

He clearly does not have any of your 35 years of cricket wisdom WYL. :rolleyes:

History will show Ponting made a bad call with the toss. The pitch did look a tinge green but it was the sideways movement that brought Australia undone. Aside from Geoff Lawson, I cant recall any other "expert" stridently saying they would bowl. I noted that Yousuf said he would have bowled. Fair enough. He also said he would have bowled in Melbourne had he won the toss there!!

Hall of Mirrors Aussies.....

You were saying about strategy!! :lol:

Say what you like i really don't care, but its Basic cricket Knowledge that when you win a toss YOU BAT in either format of the game.

RR i have never wasted 35 years. You may like to bat second on a pitch that has been used, good luck & be my guest. If i win a toss i will bat every time, Post whatever score & watch the pitch deteriorate.

Brilliant, Napoleon.

Happy New Year all.

I would have thought "Basic cricket knowledge" would suggest when the pitch is as green as it is in Sydney after record falls of rain and moisture in NSW/Sydney over the past week and a half, plus very overcast conditions on Day 1; it's a no-brainer to bowl after winning the toss (especially after morning rain). As we look forward to the next two days of forecast in Sydney (today/tomorrow), Pakistan looks to have the best of the batting conditions with Fine weather forecast. Although I suspect there still be some gremlins in this morning's play (session 1 & 2 - Day 2) for the Aussies bowling. Let's hope they make the most of it.

Just goes to show WYL, why when you win the TOSS, you shouldn't always bat first. This pitch will play better for batting as the Test goes on, before there is any - if any - deterioration (ie. It should hold together well).

PS. The weather forecast for day 4/5 is said to deteriorate.

Edited by High Tower

I thought Clarke (who certainly isn't in top form) looked like he was showing a little grit and IMO was trying hard to battle through the dangerous period. Unfortunately he was undone by a ripper.

We've been bowling too short this morning - the first well pitched ball drew the edge.

Marcus North, another dropped catch - a real sitter. He's dropped a couple now hasn't he?

P.s. why have they changed the AAMI girl?

We've started pitching it up further, beaten the bat quite a few times already. Sometimes test cricket is a bit of luck

Edited by 45HG16

P.s. why have they changed the AAMI girl?

We've started pitching it up further, beaten the bat quite a few times already. Sometimes test cricket is a bit of luck

The rumour is the old AAMI girl has won a bigger contract wearing a tight pair of shorts for a VB pop up Pub ad. B)

Siddle is bowling well (#@$% North) but Bollinger is not having one of his good days.

0/40...they need to get a couple of break throughs....now!

Time to drop North. Not good enough. His big scores come only when he comes in with runs on the board. When he comes in with the team in trouble he invariably does nothing. We can't keep someone like him at 6 when he isn't contributing. Hughes was dropped in better form that North is in right now. I mean, that shot he played to get out yesterday, just hanging the bat well, well outside off stump, was atrocious. Time to go. Replace with Cameron White, George Bailey, maybe Andrew McDonald, promote Brad Haddin, maybe drop Watson down the order (prefer not to though). Maybe even drop Hughes down the order (his style might suit lower order batting more than opening, but I highly doubt that would ever happen). And he just dropped an absolute sitter.

This is Ponting's second bad read of a pitch in 6 months (the first being the Oval in the Ashes). I think he's the only person in the world that would have batted yesterday. These days, Test cricket is more about taking 20 wickets than making lots of runs. IMO, the captain at the toss should be thinking, 'when is it going to be best to bowl on this pitch', rather than bat. Everyone else knew that Day 1 was going to be the best time to bowl. Bad call, Punter.

Also, Mohammad Asif = world's best pace bowler. No question.

Also, Chris Rogers should have opened, not Hughes. Current form puts Rogers above Hughes.

It was a half hearted pull shot trying to protect his injured arm. I doubt whether he would have done that if 100% fit. Worst shot I have seen Ponting play. I dont think it has anything to do with attention span. More protection.

Pakistan bowled superbly on a wicket that finally gave a contest between bat and ball. A rarity in Test cricket over the past 10 years!!!

Its a pity that when there was a challenge there, not one of the batsman rose to meet it. A few of our Test batsman have been on cruising control this summer and have looked better than they are due to lame featherbeds that break a bowlers heart.

Clarke, Hussey (He's finished for mine), North (His spot is in starting to look shaky) and Hughes all played poorly under the conditions.

The 1st day was further proof that the Australians cannot play the moving ball. They struggled with it in South Africa and England. In the modern age of dead lifeless wickets we dont have the technique nor the mind set to cope with it.

He clearly does not have any of your 35 years of cricket wisdom WYL. :rolleyes:

History will show Ponting made a bad call with the toss. The pitch did look a tinge green but it was the sideways movement that brought Australia undone. Aside from Geoff Lawson, I cant recall any other "expert" stridently saying they would bowl. I noted that Yousuf said he would have bowled. Fair enough. He also said he would have bowled in Melbourne had he won the toss there!!

You were saying about strategy!! :lol:

Brilliant, Napoleon.

I was waiting for your reply on my batting every time after winning the Toss RR.

I still stand by that, BUT that does not include the situation where the first session has been lost due to rain-the pitch looks like a snooker tab & the Curator actually gives the word!

Yesterdays circumstances were just too obvious...

It has been raining there for days. which makes it a totally different scenario.

Paki's Batting well today-Head down Bum up, something nobody did yesterday

The Aussies are like Port Adelaide- Flat Track Runners sadly.

Edited by why you little

I find this very odd.

Your statement was "its Basic cricket Knowledge that when you win a toss YOU BAT in either format of the game." There were no ifs or buts or other considerations to take into account - which you are now saying they are.

The original argument pertained to you arguing you should always bat first against the thoughts of others (including myself) who felt this is not always the case and sometimes it would be a good idea to bowl first - evidenced by Australi's recent record of bowling first in the past decade.

You are now arguing our point that you should not always bat first.

MOVE THE SLIPS FORWARD!!

I find this very odd.

Your statement was "its Basic cricket Knowledge that when you win a toss YOU BAT in either format of the game." There were no ifs or buts or other considerations to take into account - which you are now saying they are.

The original argument pertained to you arguing you should always bat first against the thoughts of others (including myself) who felt this is not always the case and sometimes it would be a good idea to bowl first - evidenced by Australi's recent record of bowling first in the past decade.

MOVE THE SLIPS FORWARD!!

Correct.

WYL - no use back tracking, you will just dig yourself a bigger hole.

Yes, move the slips forward. Punter has shown no confidence in his bowlers. How many runs have they scored between second slip and gully. FFS Punter give 'em a third slip at least ! The wicket still has gremlins. I must say his captaincy this morning has been conservative to say the least. The Paki openers are doing ok now. The wicket will play much better this afternoon for batting.

I find this very odd.

MOVE THE SLIPS FORWARD!!

Glad you find it odd, i find Pontings Brain very odd to be honest!

When i say Win the Toss and Bat, that is under the circumstances of the game starting on time on a dry pitch.

Yes yesterdays conditions do happen granted, but they are not the norm.

My statement a few months back was a big sweeper i admit, but i haven't seen a green top like that in years-Maybe Ponting hasn't either!!

Not even i would have batted on that swamp first-you could see the grass growing on it

Call it exceptional circumstances which is what yesterday was. Ponting Blew it again.

The only crazy pitch i remember like yesterdays straight off was that marble sheet in the West Indies in '95...that thing was mad!!! :lol:

When i say Win the Toss and Bat, that is under the circumstances of the game starting on time on a dry pitch.

:lol: Keep digging.

By God, why does Hauritz bowl so many no balls?

:lol: Keep digging.

By God, why does Hauritz bowl so many no balls?

:lol: Hehe. i can't work out why any bowler bowls no balls really, it is their job to know the length of their run up.

The odd one fair enough, but repeats are just weird.

Like a full forward who can't kick goals.....

:lol: Hehe. i can't work out why any bowler bowls no balls really, it is their job to know the length of their run up.

I can understand the odd no-ball for the fast / medium bowlers. Spin bowlers there should be no excuse.

It didn't do S.R. Waugh any Problems with his captaincy. S.R was the best captain i ever witnessed & he Batted after winning any Toss..

Going through this thread for old times sake I came across this post and had to reply.

Steve Waugh won the toss and elected to bowl 11 times in his career...

Australia won 100% of those matches. Eleven wins. 11 from 11.

The margins of the victories are as follows:

10 wickets, 4 wickets, 6 wickets, an innings and 126 runs, an innings and 27 runs, 10 wickets, 8 wickets, 9 wickets and two against Bangladesh by two innings and 230 runs combined.

The fact that when RR pointed one of these out to you and you replied with "even the greats do make mistakes" illustrates how you do not understand what you're talking about.

Edited by 45HG16

The only crazy pitch i remember like yesterdays straight off was that marble sheet in the West Indies in '95...that thing was mad!!! :lol:

Your memory is definitely questionnable. I recall a few SCG and even Gabba pitches between '95-'2010 (15 years) being green on day 1.

45HG16's previous post also highlights and confirms your lack of memory.

WYL, you may as well fess up and move on.

Going through this thread for old times sake I came across this post and had to reply.

Steve Waugh won the toss and elected to bowl 11 times in his career...

Australia won 100% of those matches. Eleven wins. 11 from 11.

The margins of the victories are as follows:

10 wickets, 4 wickets, 6 wickets, an innings and 126 runs, an innings and 27 runs, 10 wickets, 8 wickets, 9 wickets and two against Bangladesh by two innings and 230 runs combined.

The fact that when RR pointed one of these out to you and you replied with "even the greats do make mistakes" illustrates how you do not understand what you're talking about.

I was watching the Cricket yesterday, & i knew i would cop some "Serious Chin Music" from in here!!!

It's a beautiful sunny day outside today 45 Go for a walk my friend!!!

In other matters: -

My World Test Team of the Decade - "Naughties 2000-2009" : -

M.Hayden (AUS) Ave: 52.94 ; 8364 runs

G.Smith (SthAfrica) Ave: 49.62 ; 6451 runs

R.Ponting (AUS) Ave: 58.38 ; 9458 runs

S.Tendulkar (Ind) Ave: 53.20 ; 7129 runs

J.Kallis (Sth Africa) Ave: 58.71 ; 8630 runs

M.Yousuf (Pak) Ave: 58.54 ; 6439 runs

A.Gilchrist (AUS) 397 Dismissals / 362 catches

B.Lee (AUS) 303 wickets Ave: 31.27

M.Ntini (Sth Africa) 380 wickets Ave: 28.64

M.Muralidaran (SL) 565 wickets Ave: 20.97

G.McGrath (AUS) 297 wickets Ave: 20.54

McGrath, Ntini, Lee & Kallis can provide my pace attack, Murali the spinner - statistically has a far superior record over Warne, (who was next in line as the spinner) throughout the "Naughties".

In other matters: -

My World Test Team of the Decade - "Naughties 2000-2009" : -

M.Hayden (AUS) Ave: 52.94 ; 8364 runs

G.Smith (SthAfrica) Ave: 49.62 ; 6451 runs

R.Ponting (AUS) Ave: 58.38 ; 9458 runs

S.Tendulkar (Ind) Ave: 53.20 ; 7129 runs

J.Kallis (Sth Africa) Ave: 58.71 ; 8630 runs

M.Yousuf (Pak) Ave: 58.54 ; 6439 runs

A.Gilchrist (AUS) 397 Dismissals / 362 catches

B.Lee (AUS) 303 wickets Ave: 31.27

M.Ntini (Sth Africa) 380 wickets Ave: 28.64

M.Muralidaran (SL) 565 wickets Ave: 20.97

G.McGrath (AUS) 297 wickets Ave: 20.54

McGrath, Ntini, Lee & Kallis can provide my pace attack, Murali the spinner - statistically has a far superior record over Warne, (who was next in line as the spinner) throughout the "Naughties".

You would play Murali (whom the rules were changed so he could keep playing pending Mutiny in the Sub continent) over S.K Warne??

The Pitches Murali got 80% of his wickets were doctored for him, and how many of his tests were played against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh..?

S. K. had to do his work all over the place. He is the world's greatest tweaker bar none

Murali was more suited to baseball..

Not a bad side though!....not sure about Brett Lee either. Rarely got early wickets.

Good to see Johnson back to his one day form. Hauritz wicket, will it spark a collapse?

18 matches probably isn't enough to get him in, but I'd have Bond above Lee in terms of bowling talent.

I don't agree with the hyperbolic nonsense that is thrown at Murali, but I'd certainly take Warne ahead of him.

Edited by 45HG16

Good to see Johnson back to his one day form. Hauritz wicket, will it spark a collapse?

18 matches probably isn't enough to get him in, but I'd have Bond above Lee in terms of bowling talent.

Hauritz could get a few now....need them quickly though. Real quick

You would play Murali (whom the rules were changed so he could keep playing pending Mutiny in the Sub continent) over S.K Warne??

Based on figures between 2000-2009, certainly.

Although, I would have a different view if it was based on their careers as a whole.

2000-2009 period Test comparison: -

M.Muralidaran - 84 Matches; 1161 Maidens; 11,849 runs; 565 wickets; 20.97 Average; 49x 5WI; 20x 10WI; Best 9-51; 2.47 RPO

compared to

S.Warne - 65 Matches; 604 Maidens; 8986 runs; 357 wickets; 25.17 Average; 21x 5WI; 6x 10WI; Best 7-94; 2.97 RPO

I couldn't ignore Murali's figures for my spinner selection.

The Pitches Murali got 80% of his wickets were doctored for him, ....

Murali was more suited to baseball..

:wacko: Are you talking crap again ?

....not sure about Brett Lee either. Rarely got early wickets.

You need your memory checked.

Fair enough, I went on volume of wickets and averages over the decade.

I was waiting for your reply on my batting every time after winning the Toss RR.

I still stand by that, BUT that does not include the situation where the first session has been lost due to rain-the pitch looks like a snooker tab & the Curator actually gives the word!

Yesterdays circumstances were just too obvious...

It has been raining there for days. which makes it a totally different scenario.

More fool you then.... Worst case of buttering the bread on both sides on this site for awhile.

Paki's Batting well today-Head down Bum up, something nobody did yesterday

The Aussies are like Port Adelaide- Flat Track Runners sadly.

Most definitely.

*Squirm* *squirm*.

No you didn't. Just makes you more like Basil Fawlty.

Call it exceptional circumstances which is what yesterday was. Ponting Blew it again.

Nothing exceptional. They're should be more wickets like this. Wickets fine...Pakistan are 1/134