• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

For someone who has never doubted Ponting as a batsman, you have all the hallmarks of someone who does.

Ponting is good enough to understand the changing of the season and adapt his batting to the needs of the situation. Many of the top batsman modify their game in their final years. S Waugh and Tendulkar are good examples. And if he is going to be found out at No 3 by England who is going to do it??? In your own view you dont rate Broad or Anderson. You forget that Roach, Asif and Aamer (at times) were world class. England certainly dont have any pushing 150kmh.

We know exactly how good this side is. Its better than the WI and Pakistan but its not the intimidating side it was. I think we will have a very close contest with England and tie the series. Australia has lapses during a Test but it knows how to eek a win out of a tough situation. It does not lay down easily. You need to look beyond the results in the paper.

Hussey and North did little to convince indeed. Hussey may have been lucky to have to been dropped but his gritty and gutsy innings anchored the win. Of course he should have been man of the match. Who else could have got it? :rolleyes: Another of your gems there WYL .

Man of the Match should have gone to Asif actually for taking 6-41 in the first innings. It was he who set the game on its course. I wouldn't call hussey's innings Gritty & Gutsy at all-he was just dam lucky that the wicket keeper was useless. (and good luck to him btw) but it was hardly man of the match stuff. Siddle was the anchor in a lot of ways.

I am not bagging the team-i just get the feeling we will now be in a false sense of security with 3 players now in their mid 30's

Pretty fair analysis, RR, except I disagree with the final statement. I believe we can (and will) win the Ashes this year.

We now have a world-class opening pair again. Katich and Watson are high class batsmen who complement each other well. And they both bowl, which is nice.

A mate at work made an interesting comment today, in that all the 'great' sides of the past all have one thing in common; they have a plethora of great bowlers. WI in the 80s and Aus in the 90s/early 00s are examples of this, but both those sides also had a bunch of great batsmen so it's a bit inconclusive.

If you believe these sentiments (and it's of course very debateable) then you'd have to say that as long as we've got a middle of the road bowling attack, then we're no certainties to win any series, especially against the stronger nations. It doesn't matter how strong our batting lineup is.

A mate at work made an interesting comment today, in that all the 'great' sides of the past all have one thing in common; they have a plethora of great bowlers. WI in the 80s and Aus in the 90s/early 00s are examples of this, but both those sides also had a bunch of great batsmen so it's a bit inconclusive.

If you believe these sentiments (and it's of course very debateable) then you'd have to say that as long as we've got a middle of the road bowling attack, then we're no certainties to win any series, especially against the stronger nations. It doesn't matter how strong our batting lineup is.

I agree with that, a great bowling side will usually take 20 wickets in a Test Match

in the same way that Great Football sides have a rock solid class backline.

Man of the Match should have gone to Asif actually for taking 6-41 in the first innings. It was he who set the game on its course. I wouldn't call hussey's innings Gritty & Gutsy at all-he was just dam lucky that the wicket keeper was useless. (and good luck to him btw) but it was hardly man of the match stuff. Siddle was the anchor in a lot of ways.

I am not bagging the team-i just get the feeling we will now be in a false sense of security with 3 players now in their mid 30's

You do talk some absolute crap for the sake of taking an opposing view. Asif set the game going and Hussey changed it and arguably won it.

Hussey's knock changed the game regardless of how many times he was dropped. Siddle was only the foil. Of course his innings was gutsy and gritty. Its was not polished but it does not reduce its impact.The gems keep adding up WYL.

What false sense of security?? We have got problems a plenty. In the last 5 years when havent we had around 3 players in their mid 30s? Keep them coming WYL. Its a rich vein of form you are in.

I guess the point boils down to the fact that you can still win a test match even if you struggle to make a lot of runs, but you can't possibly win a test match if you can't take 20 wickets.

You can if the opposition have declared in the first innings B)

I see your point. I dont think you can have one without the other.

While the Windies and Australia had great bowlers they were also blessed with some great batsman and good keepers.

Windies: Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, Richardson, Lloyd with Dujon as keeper.

Australia: Hayden, Langer, Taylor, Waughs, Border and Ponting. Healy and Gilchrist as a keeper.

I guess the alternate view is you wont take 20 wickets in a test if you can set enough runs for the opposition to chase.

You do talk some absolute crap for the sake of taking an opposing view. Asif set the game going and Hussey changed it and arguably won it.

Hussey's knock changed the game regardless of how many times he was dropped. Siddle was only the foil. Of course his innings was gutsy and gritty. Its was not polished but it does not reduce its impact.The gems keep adding up WYL.

What false sense of security?? We have got problems a plenty. In the last 5 years when havent we had around 3 players in their mid 30s? Keep them coming WYL. Its a rich vein of form you are in.

We just disagree on certain points RR, i think my points are fair calls actually. How many times has a Batsmen been Dropped 4 times before atTest Level? Not often i would suggest.

The 2nd Test was a classic but we did not win it. The Pakistani's Chocked & lost it.

Asif's 6-41 Ripped us apart. The fact his team didn't back him up is not his fault.

Hussey's knock did not change the game...The wicket keeper did that job.

Edited by why you little

:o

Hussey gets ~140-odd runs in an innings which erased a deficit and produced a 173 run lead ! The Paki's fail to get the target thanks to some intense pressure by the Aussies and some inexperienced Test batting. And you wouldn't say that Hussey's innings was gritty & gutsy on that pitch ? WYL ?! C'mon.

I'd say that his innings in particular and partnership with Siddle (~40 odd runs) was Man-of the-Match stuff. It won the Test & the series.

WYL, you're in what you would call a real "purple patch".

Hussey's knock did not change the game...

Christ almighty !

Yes, he got dropped, but he more importantly dug deep and scored the runs, unlike the other batsmen apart from Watson & Siddle who chimed in.

Give it a rest.

:o

Hussey gets ~140-odd runs in an innings which erased a deficit and produced a 173 run lead ! The Paki's fail to get the target thanks to some intense pressure by the Aussies and some inexperienced Test batting. And you wouldn't say that Hussey's innings was gritty & gutsy on that pitch ? WYL ?! C'mon.

I'd say that his innings in particular and partnership with Siddle (~40 odd runs) was Man-of the-Match stuff. It won the Test & the series.

WYL, you're in what you would call a real "purple patch".

How many runs would M Hussey have made in that innings against a decent wicket keeper? That is the question i ask..

Yes his effort with Siddle was great but he should never have been there by then. That Wicket keeper was useless.

How many runs would M Hussey have made in that innings against a decent wicket keeper? That is the question i ask..

Yes his effort with Siddle was great but he should never have been there by then. That Wicket keeper was useless.

So ? Ricky Ponting got man-of-the match for his 209 in 3rd test, yet was dropped on 0. What have you got to say about that ?

The fact is they both made the most of their opportunities.

If Pakistan were any good they would have made the 173 with ease. And maybe Asif was then a chance for the MOTM, but it didn't pan out that way.

So ? Ricky Ponting got man-of-the match for his 209 in 3rd test, yet was dropped on 0. What have you got to say about that ?

The fact is they both made the most of their opportunities.

If Pakistan were any good they would have made the 173 with ease. And maybe Asif was then a chance for the MOTM, but it didn't pan out that way.

Fair enough, i see it differently. M Hussey has been great for Australia but i believe he is ready to step down from Test Level. And it bothers me that an innings such as that will delay that course. Asif was really Stiff. Hussey Extremely lucky.

Ponting went on to make a great innings-sure he was lucky, but many batsman have been dropped once. But 4 times, that's Bazil Fawlty cricket!!

I don't give a stuff about the test just played in Time.

I am interested only in Smashing the Poms, & i want the Selectors to think in that vien, I don't think M Hussey should go to England.

Furthermore, how many runs would Hussey have scored if he hadn't have scored those 134 runs?

We just disagree on certain points RR, i think my points are fair calls actually. How many times has a Batsmen been Dropped 4 times before atTest Level? Not often i would suggest.

The 2nd Test was a classic but we did not win it. The Pakistani's Chocked & lost it.

Asif's 6-41 Ripped us apart. The fact his team didn't back him up is not his fault.

Hussey's knock did not change the game...The wicket keeper did that job.

Thirty years of following cricket....wasted!

The number of times being dropped is irrelevant. Both Australia and Hussey made the most of opportunities and won. Of course Australia won it. They took advantage of an opponents weakness. It happens all the time. Its called Test cricket. When the game was there to be won on day 3 and 4, Asif was pedestrian and was toyed with by a tailender.

Of course Hussey's knock changed the game. It won the match. The keeper was neither here nor there after he dropped Hussey early.

I don't think we learnt much about the Australian X1 at all over this summer.

You have proved that.

Fair enough, i see it differently. M Hussey has been great for Australia but i believe he is ready to step down from Test Level. And it bothers me that an innings such as that will delay that course. Asif was really Stiff. Hussey Extremely lucky.

I am interested only in Smashing the Poms, & i want the Selectors to think in that vien, I don't think M Hussey should go to England.

And who do we have to replace him at 4 within 12 months and 4 tests?? If you had your way the your axe grinding would cut Ponting as well.

And you want to smash the Poms!! :wacko:

Thirty years of following cricket....wasted!

The number of times being dropped is irrelevant. Both Australia and Hussey made the most of opportunities and won. Of course Australia won it. They took advantage of an opponents weakness. It happens all the time. Its called Test cricket. When the game was there to be won on day 3 and 4, Asif was pedestrian and was toyed with by a tailender.

Of course Hussey's knock changed the game. It won the match. The keeper was neither here nor there after he dropped Hussey early.

You have proved that.

And who do we have to replace him at 4 within 12 months and 4 tests?? If you had your way the your axe grinding would cut Ponting as well.

And you want to smash the Poms!! :wacko:

Ponting should be moved down the order he still has some years left in him, don't put words in my mouth RR. I have never been a fan of his captaincy his batting is fine.

Sorry i just do not see how an innings can be taken seriously when a batsman is dropped 4 times.

Yes he made the most of incompetance by making that ton & once again good luck to him

But i wouldn't want to trust that luck again.

So RR you obviously think M Hussey is still up for Test Cricket as you disagree with me so vehmently?

Ponting should be moved down the order he still has some years left in him, don't put words in my mouth RR. I have never been a fan of his captaincy his batting is fine.

And who bats 3 WYL better than Ponting? Who would be better than Punter at the moment? Careful think about this one. B)

Sorry i just do not see how an innings can be taken seriously when a batsman is dropped 4 times.

Yes he made the most of incompetance by making that ton & once again good luck to him

Dont apologise WYL for what you cant see. Its been a difficult summer for you to assess the Australian XI. Obviously very difficult.

So RR you obviously think M Hussey is still up for Test Cricket as you disagree with me so vehmently?

Who would you replace him with on current respective form that would be better leading into the Ashes? And he did show some sterling qualities in that knock that you alone cant see. Nothing new WYL. And as he has scored a century in his second last test. But you missed that.

And you do want to smash the Poms dont you? :wacko:

And who bats 3 WYL better than Ponting? Who would be better than Punter at the moment? Careful think about this one. B)

Dont apologise WYL for what you cant see. Its been a difficult summer for you to assess the Australian XI. Obviously very difficult.

Who would you replace him with on current respective form that would be better leading into the Ashes? And he did show some sterling qualities in that knock that you alone cant see. Nothing new WYL. And as he has scored a century in his second last test. But you missed that.

And you do want to smash the Poms dont you? :wacko:

Ime glad you enjoyed M Hussey's Gritty Century RR to me it looked very wobbly, Siddle was out there for over 3 hours with him lets not forget that, any way as this convo is going around in circles its time to agree to disagree, i am certainly not apologizing for anything (Nice Twist there) i didn't learn too much about our Australian X1 that i hadn't worked out after the ashes tour of last year, because the opposition didn't put us under sustained pressure.

This was the perfect Summer to Blood some young Players but sadly it didn't happen. A real shame that, and something The Team may live to regret.

It will be an interesting 12 months though, not as interesting as The Demons will be of course,

Ime glad you enjoyed M Hussey's Gritty Century RR to me it looked very wobbly, Siddle was out there for over 3 hours with him lets not forget that, any way as this convo is going around in circles its time to agree to disagree, i am certainly not apologizing for anything (Nice Twist there) i didn't learn too much about our Australian X1 that i hadn't worked out after the ashes tour of last year, because the opposition didn't put us under sustained pressure.

So you thought the 2nd Test was a classic but you did not enjoy Hussey's effort! Yup.

After Hussey was dropped early three times, he was solid on a 4 and 5 day wicket. So Hussey was wobbly but no shots Siddle was solid for three hours. :wacko: Gotcha. I can only suggest you gathered little from the Ashes Tour then.

So being bowled out for 127 on the first day of a Test and being 200 runs behind is not pressure!!

If you had a little more nous you would have worked out that next years Ashes will be played at all the Test venues (bar Hobart.) It should have been illuminating to a sharper mind about the capabilities of the Australian XI on Ashes Test venues

This was the perfect Summer to Blood some young Players but sadly it didn't happen. A real shame that, and something The Team may live to regret.

We had Siddle, Johnson, North,Hauritz, Haddin, Hughes, Watson, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus all with under 2 years or 25 Test experience. We had a very inexperienced team this summer with 9 junior players. This was countered by Punter, Katich, Hussey and Clarke. Many of the aforementioned were still be blooded. Which other players were you expecting to come in? :blink:

And the Vics storm into the final.

Good match, Not many 6s though and another poor performance by Roy (1). Hussey sure had an awesome innings

why Vettori was so low down the order , il never know

Vics wont have White,Hussey,Taylor,Mckay in the final, Bravo will return

Edited by WonnaJurah

And the Vics storm into the final.

Sure did, thanks to another match winning and man-of-the-match effort, this time the other Hussey ! :lol: B)

Did anyone see the last ball, where Hopes and another Queenslander looked at each other in dismay as to why each other let the ball drop to the ground ? Priceless.

Another Prelim win over Queensland in the big bash. Beautiful !

Edited by High Tower

Sure did, thanks to another match winning and man-of-the-match effort, this time the other Hussey ! :lol: B)

Did anyone see the last ball, where Hopes and another Queenslander looked at each other in dismay as to why each other let the ball drop to the ground ? Priceless.

Another Prelim win over Queensland in the big bash. Beautiful !

i think they did that as QLD had no chance of winning , 2 runs 7 balls 5 in hand

i think they did that as QLD had no chance of winning , 2 runs 7 balls 5 in hand

Hopes had a go at the other bloke, it wasn't on purpose. Fact is the Vics had another 7 balls to face to get one run if they did take the catch.

The Vics were in raptures. Bordering on hysterical in the stands. Won by 6 wickets.

Edited by High Tower