Scorpions v Zebras Schizophrenia Match

Y.M, obviously u didn't watch the sandy game today. Carrol was S.H.I.T.E. he consistently turned it over, and had goals kicked regularly on him. he gave away 2 fifty metre penalties which cost goals. 4 times he tried to spoil, missed it, and that led to goals.

He is PATHETIC and i thank our lucky stars that finally we have some good young KPP so that he can be delisted at years end. he's sooo bad.

Ok delist him then. Im not fussed.

Its nice to see the names of Petterd and Newton again, even if it is just the reserves.

Also, Cheney showed some glimpses today. Will be a fine player I think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My review of the game on the demons players is as follows:

Stef Martin - like the look of him and very good one on one. quite tall and nullified his tall opponents well. was rarely beaten one on one. would have liked to see him attack a little more but good game.

Cheney - like the look of this kid. always looking to position himself at stoppages and pick up loose men. looks like he thinks about the game. was slow to get in the game but after the first quarter played a consistent game without being flashy. surprisingly solid build for a kid.

Jamar - dominated, especially early but kicking let him down. mind you both sides flooded terribly so most forward 50 entries were difficult. Took lots of grabs and was a leader for them.

Meesen - really focussed on watching him as the game wore on, and I must say i am perplexed. he just sort of exists without any real intent to go for the ball, to block, to shephard to punch, or to do anything with purpose. At lease Jamar goes 100%. I am wondering what our recruiters saw in him. he is meant to have a good engine but did not seem to cover much ground. He seemed like an inert footballer. apart from a few hit outs, was of no influence on the game.

Trent Zomer - kicked a good goal early on, but just did not sight him after that. they appeared to prefer Jamar and Meesen up forward. dm't know what happened there. from his one kick, i hope that isn't his normal kicking style though as he kicks like Primus releasing the ball 3 foot above his foot.

Valenti - superb, great skills and can't help thinking he could be just like Mitchell at Hawthorn. hand skills were excellent. great in close as well.

Carroll - played well when he attacked but conceded too many goals and got reported and probably deserves a week or two. thank god our younger backs show more promise. can't say his game was that bad though.

Buckley - great dash but someone please please teach him to stop with the flippity p1ssy handballs. follow though and punch the ball properly. he breaks the lines, does the hard work then releases it like its going to explode. Missed too many targets and does not deserve a recall as yet.

Bell - overall good game after a completely woeful first quarter. I think every possesion in the first quarter he turned over. To his credit he got better as the game wore on and was excellent in the last half. overall you give that a pass. good sign is he did not lose confidence after a bad start.

Ok delist him then. Im not fussed.

Wouldn't it be nice if he had some trade value though? Probably wouldn't have any even if he played every game for the dees for the rest of the year.

I agree with the sentiment... It hurst to see someone like Moloney out, but with Carroll, you know he likely won't make up a BIG part of our future, so why stress?

The best news out of all that is Petterd and Newton. Did Ricky only play 3 quarters as planned?

Glad Bell finally got a game at Sandringham, his confidence was just getting squashed week in week out at AFL level, everytime we tried to slip him back to the VFL he'd come in as a late inclusion. I think a couple of games at this level will do him the world of good.

Trent Zomer - kicked a good goal early on, but just did not sight him after that. they appeared to prefer Jamar and Meesen up forward. dm't know what happened there. from his one kick, i hope that isn't his normal kicking style though as he kicks like Primus releasing the ball 3 foot above his foot.

That's his normal kicking action.

Pretty good up to around the 30 metre mark kicking for goal from a set shot but field kicking (and handballing) and kicks 40+ have always been a bit of a worry for him.

Good to hear Newton and Petterd played, and went alright.

How was Buckley's defensive workrate?

I didn't take notice of Buckleys opponent I must say. He is noticeable for his pace but in contests, I don't see anything exceptional from Buckley.

Jury is still out for me as I'm not sure he has got it. blokes like Cheney look like footballers, and I get this feeling he isn't really a leader, just a gut feel, but doesn't always do the accountable thing.

He is worth persevering with though as he can get the ball.

Will we see Carroll in the Red and Blue again?

he will get 2 or 3 weeks for the charge, then he will have to fight his way back into the side vis Sandy. By then there will only be a few weeks left in the season.

I am sure a lot of people want Carroll on the scrap heap, but in my mind he has always been a guy that should be a 3rd tall defender, not the main man. With the develiopment of Garland and Warnock, I would like to see Carroll reatined next season as a 3rd back than will not ahve to take on the main big forwards of the opposition.

i think he could ve very good in that role.

3rd tall has to be able to contribute going the other way, he can't.

"Juice" Newton played in the Sandy MAGOOS

He started slowly before hitting his straps and Starred with 4 goals 4 Bhds

A return seems a formality!

3rd tall has to be able to contribute going the other way, he can't.

correct, your 3rd tall should be able to use to ball well, and attack off the half back line... eg. milburn for geelong...

while carroll has pretty good dash, he's just not up to playing that type of role, can spot up clearly open and free targets, but has trouble finding team mates through any type of traffic...

Will we see Carroll in the Red and Blue again?

he will get 2 or 3 weeks for the charge, then he will have to fight his way back into the side vis Sandy. By then there will only be a few weeks left in the season.

I am sure a lot of people want Carroll on the scrap heap, but in my mind he has always been a guy that should be a 3rd tall defender, not the main man. With the develiopment of Garland and Warnock, I would like to see Carroll reatined next season as a 3rd back than will not ahve to take on the main big forwards of the opposition.

I agree.

Also one bad Sandy game doesn't make him a [censored] footballer. He is not bad going back the other way, he is a great mark in defense and in 06/07 was regularly having 20+ possession games.

He may not be in our best 22 right now for various reasons, and will never be the "quarterback" style rebounder, but fast forward one or two seasons when hopefully we are making a charge and he could be a very valuable experienced depth player.

Any more comments on Bell's game from those who saw the game?

"Juice" Newton played in the Sandy MAGOOS

He started slowly before hitting his straps and Starred with 4 goals 4 Bhds

A return seems a formality!

Will take a lot more than a statement about a VFL rezzies match to get me excited about Juice again!!

I personally think the kid has mental issues, but time will tell....

Agreed.

I'm starting to think that Jamar and Carroll will be Melbourne's parting gift to Sandy. Jamar in particular has shown great performances at VFL level, but never quite delivered at AFL.

Carroll is an alright player who can handle AFL, but just doesn't quite fit where we need him to and will probably have more fun at VFL level anyway!

was at the match yesterday and thought Valenti was just a class above. Even though he didnt dominate totally he just looked classier when he got near it. His contested mark in the goal square (forgotten which qtr) and his chase down in the 2nd qtr were exceptional. Zomer did some really good things but couldnt work out why he spent so much time off the ground?? was there any reason for this?? Cheney looked really good to. Disposal wasnt crash hot but his endeavor and ability to get himself in the right position and read the play were very good. Might be half a chance to get a senior game before the year is out?? thumbs down to the sandy supporter though that hurled a massive abuse at umpire no. 17.even when the ball was up the other end he wouldnt let up. all the auskick kids within ear shot and he just wouldnt let it go.granted the worst expletive he blurted was id1ot but boy did he give it to him. let it go mate and watch the game...the umps arent going anywhere anytime soon ;).

Watched it on TV.

Aside from Valenti and sometimes Bell I saw little to be enthused. Cheney shows some promise and Martin is a likely type. But Jamar is ineffectual at VFL level when he cant dispose of the ball sensibly. Carroll was poor and would happily grant him as a parting gift to Dandy. His decision making even at VFL is flaky and his charge on the opposition player was just plain dumb. Happens too often. Buckley disposal by hand and foot is questionable. And Meesen?? We paid too much giving up a 3rd round pick. Can we trade him for 5th round pick? :blink: Underwhelmed every time I have seen him.