Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Newton?

After being dropped, he wasn't on fire at Sandringham. He got suspended a few rounds ago for striking, in the same match that he apparently started running into some form. Since then he's had an injury (that he picked up at training, I think), and we've also had a bye.

There's a thread or two over at Demonology. There's some talk that he's got ego issues, and didn't take his demotion well. In the post-match press conference on Monday, Bailey mentioned Newton as one of a couple of guys who could fill the void left by Robertson and Neitz in the forward line, so I expect to see him back soon.

Id like to see him back asap.

Just to see where his head is at more than nayhting.

I get the feeling he is the type of player that won't take Sandy seriously.

Which is an unfortunate character flaw of his and makes me not want him on our list, but knowing he has all that talent makes me conflicted.

Want to see him play first hand at FF without Neitz/Robbo/Sautner all getting in his way. If he can do it, he is worth it, if not, de-list him.

But we should definately give him FF at some point soon, Robbo is seriously injured, Holland (I love you Benny) won't be around next season and Miller (I also love you) isn't a natural FF. If anything it is a plan for the future. If it fails it fails, what else do we have to loose this season.

Id like to see him back asap.

Just to see where his head is at more than nayhting.

I get the feeling he is the type of player that won't take Sandy seriously.

Which is an unfortunate character flaw of his and makes me not want him on our list, but knowing he has all that talent makes me conflicted.

He's a tough one to really love isn't he?

I really want to love Juice because of his obvious talents, he just needs to work alot harder.

I hope someone at the club like Neita can spend some serious time with him over the next season or two in a mentoring role. He's a prodigous talent- The kind that is so often wasted. If we want to get the best from him, a (champion) mentor is extremely important.

Who cares, he's been totally written off in my book, one speccy doesn't make a player. His performance Rnd 1 against Hawthorn is one of the softest i've ever seen of anyone wearing the red and blue and if your not ready to have a crack round 1 under a new coach with opportunities beckoning then chances are you never will be.

Who cares, he's been totally written off in my book, one speccy doesn't make a player. His performance Rnd 1 against Hawthorn is one of the softest i've ever seen of anyone wearing the red and blue and if your not ready to have a crack round 1 under a new coach with opportunities beckoning then chances are you never will be.

It wasn't just one mark, he was playing well, when forward kicked a few goals per game then Riley pushed him up the ground towards the end, he was playing well, foolish to write a player off based on round 1, I would write them all off after that performance.

I've written him off not only on Round 1 but on his performances and appeared lack of interest and commitment to date. I saw the games he played under Riley and sure he showed a bit but no more than say a Brent Grgic did in one or two games of his lack lustre career. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this but I just dont think he is and ever will be the answer to our forward woes.

I just dont think he is and ever will be the answer to our forward woes.

I agree with you on this, but shouldn't we at least, in this year, find out?

I think it may have annoyed him playing 3rd fiddle in the AFL behind Neitz and Robbo and then 2nd fiddle behind Sautner in the VFL.

Just saying that we may as well give the oppurtunity, who knows what he might do with our forward line unless we give it to him for a few weeks at least.

from a few games observed.. Juice and Maric seem to combine quite well.

all I can offer is "watch this space "

I agree with you on this, but shouldn't we at least, in this year, find out?

By all means if he can't force his way into the team and prove something by years end though we must delist as he hasn't really been hindered so much by inuries but more by percieved lack of attitude and willingness to committ far to often Melbourne hold onto players with the hope they will come good and they seem to never come good...

Would love to see Maric get a run at some stage as well.

Top call

you guys are boobs.

He is a tall, progressing player. how old is he?

He will definatley be retained this year.

If we delisted players like you guys want to we would never have any tall players.

He'll probably be retained only because we have so much dead wood and retiring players...

But I wonder, would he be retained on a list that looked like Hawthorns? Or Geelongs? And if that sounds ridiculous to you (who WOULD be retained) imagine perhaps whether he'd be retained under Leigh Matthews, or Mick Malthouse, or with any of the sides around the bottom half of the 8? Like Sydney...

I would be surprised if he even got a game. I love him and think he still could crack it given his skill, but I'll always think it's on borrowed time. Can't ever see him playing like Franklin...

you guys are boobs.

He is a tall, progressing player. how old is he?

He will definatley be retained this year.

If we delisted players like you guys want to we would never have any tall players.

I agree with Fuzz Newton's impersonation of a league player in Rd 1 was worse than anything I've ever witnessed on a footy field from TJ. He just didn't want to be there. If we're serious about improving the culture at the club, then you don't persist with trying to fashion a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He has 11 matches to pull his finger out, or as a young tall with MOTY under his belt he certainly has some trade value.

Interestingly, Newton again not named to play for Sandy this weekend.

Though he may be coming back from injury thru the reserves, as i haven't seen that team yet. Hope he plays some football this weekend.

I agree with Fuzz Newton's impersonation of a league player in Rd 1 was worse than anything I've ever witnessed on a footy field from TJ. He just didn't want to be there. If we're serious about improving the culture at the club, then you don't persist with trying to fashion a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He has 11 matches to pull his finger out, or as a young tall with MOTY under his belt he certainly has some trade value.

Completely agree Graz.

Unfortunately it is not an isolated example. Balls in Newton's court like it has been for a while.

I reckon other clubs would look at his round 1 effort in a stronger light than his MOTY Graz.

Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that some clubs won't take the chance. Hawthorn took a chance with Buddy, Brisbane with Trav. There maybe a club that believes that either 1. It's culture is good enough to turn Newton around or 2. that Newton's problems were due to the culture at the MFC, either way I think 196 cm athletic forward capable of jumping on people's shoulders and roosting the ball 50 metres will have some trade currency.

I've written him off not only on Round 1 but on his performances and appeared lack of interest and commitment to date. I saw the games he played under Riley and sure he showed a bit but no more than say a Brent Grgic did in one or two games of his lack lustre career. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this but I just dont think he is and ever will be the answer to our forward woes.

I think we can trust in Bailey/Connolly making the right decisions with this kid. Here's a coach and football manager I suspect won't play Newton until he learn's to bleed red and blue. I to hope he does learn because we need some forwards!!

I do believe some of you are being a Tad harsh on "Juice"

I n the first quarter of that Hawks game I witnessed three occasions when he commited to the ball, was pushed in the back and not rewarded for his efforts!! If you don't believe me go over the tape and see for yourselves! All 20 -30 out for gimme goals

Secondly There already is another Melbourne based club who would be very eager to snap up his services if we foolishly delisted him. His contract runs out this year I believe, how many other players with the same potential can mark and kick at 20 are there? in our club or any other?? Retain him at all costs!

There already is another Melbourne based club who would be very eager to snap up his services if we foolishly delisted him. His contract runs out this year I believe, how many other players with the same potential can mark and kick at 20 are there? in our club or any other?? Retain him at all costs!

Nice to see you jump on any Newton thread, irrespective of what board it is :P

Who wants your man Newton, in the case that we don't retain him?

I think we can trust in Bailey/Connolly making the right decisions with this kid. Here's a coach and football manager I suspect won't play Newton until he learn's to bleed red and blue. I to hope he does learn because we need some forwards!!

spot on. its all about developing an uncompromising team culture. if you dont do what is asked you dont get a game regardless of percieved talent.

Yes, we all know that even Travis ( who will probably go close to winning Brisbanes B&F ) KNOWS THAT ALSO!

exactly my point. that is an uncompromising culture. he was told that going through the motions wasnt good enough and he has improved immeasurably. We need to create this culture at our club.

Mistakes can be tolerated and need to be in a young team. Lack of discipline and effort must not be tolerated.

NB: Trav wont win their B & F unless Black, Bradshaw and Brown get injured.