Recycled Players

Little Goffy

Hi all.

Can people help me get a clearer picture of the details about the recycled players we have recruited or traded for over the "Daniher Era"

I'm just curious about -

Who.

When.

What we gave up (pick used or traded etc..)

Value in your opinion.

The below list is being edited as info comes to hand, thanks everyone. Let me know of any corrections needed.

Ben Holland.

Brent Moloney.

Clint Bizzell.

Shannon Motlop. Compensatory selection.

Paul Johnson. Traded from West Coast for pick 29 (Matt Rosa), 2004.

Byron Pickett.

Phil Read. Pre-season draft selection, 2004.

Chris Heffernen.

John Meesen. Traded from Adelaide for pick 37 (Scott Thompson - not the other one, the 2007 draftee)

Peter Vardy. Traded from Adelaide for pick 56? (Robert Shirley?) in 2001?

Gary Moorcroft. National Draft 2002, pick 39.

Craig Ellis.

Edit: I'd like to make clear I'm not passing judgement here, I'm just looking to get all the information.

How was Vardy and Bizzell rejects. I know they only played a few seasons at the club but i wouldn't call them rejects.

PJ was great for us this year until he got injured and could be a big part for the club in the few years.

And don't write off Moloney just yet. He is still improving.

Agree with the rest though.

Hi all.

Can people help me get a clearer picture of the details about the recycled players we have recruited or traded for over the "Daniher Era"

I'm just curious about -

Who.

When.

What we gave up (pick used or traded etc..)

Value in your opinion.

My list at the moment -

Ben Holland.

Brent Moloney.

Clint Bizzell.

Shannon Motlop.

Paul Johnson.

Byron Pickett.

Phil Read.

Chris Heffernen.

John Meesen.

Peter Vardy.

Gary Moorcroft.

Craig Ellis.

This, by any chance, wouldn't be a reaction to the story in the paper today about Nathan Foley is it?

Lots of teams overlooked him, with hindsight, the club was wrong and we all know it. I'm sure that everyone involved, given the advent of a time-machine, will correct their decision.

I am meant to be doing homework so can't justify doing any research but here is what i think off the top of my head. Im sure many will be wrong.

Ben Holland. - A second round pick from the tigers. We tried hard to only give a fourth round, our third round was off the table as used as father son pick for CJ

Brent Moloney. Part of the Woey/Heffernan and swap of 1st rounders. I think it was Moloney for a 1st rounder

Clint Bizzell.- cant remember, maybe Grigic and a second rounder for Bizzel and a late pick

Shannon Motlop. A free pick of any uncontracted player as a replacement for Troy Broadbridge

Paul Johnson. Traded for a seconded rounder?

Byron Pickett. As above? second rounder trade?

Phil Read. Pre-Season draft

Chris Heffernen. Part of the woey deal, trading down our first rounder?

John Meesen. Trade for last years thrid rounder

Peter Vardy. Really cant remember

Gary Moorcroft. Picked up in the National Draft something like pickk 33 as we thought the blues might grab him

Craig Ellis. Troy Simmonds for a second rounder and Craig Ellis i think

There's my best guest, they could all be wrong

Apart from Simmonds nothing to be bemoaning there.

I'll look up the Moloney one and see what happened

*edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_AFL_Draft

Traded for pick 12 which ended up being Richmond who got Danny Meyer's with it

Yep, essentially our replacement for losing Scott Thompson to Adelaide. We got pick 12 for Thompson and on forwarded it to Geelong in exchange for Beamer.

Ben Holland. - Dutchy has been serviceable, been important at times.

Brent Moloney. - Could yet prove to be a huge part of our future.

Clint Bizzell.-- Great pickup, Biz was fantastic for us at his peak.

Shannon Motlop. - Was worth the punt, showed glimpes but was ultimately a failure.

Paul Johnson.- Looking like a brilliant pick up.

Byron Pickett. - Did enough to justify the trade. Was very important at times.

Phil Read. - Never rated him, was disappointed we picked him up in the first place.

Chris Heffernen. - Based on his form for the Don's was a reasonable get, didn't do alot for us though.

John Meesen. Can't say yet.

Peter Vardy - Was fantastic in 2002, I'd say he was worth it.

Moorcroft - Was a bit of a waste. Worth the punt though.

Simmonds - Big [censored] up. Out of all of our losses, Simmonds and Jolly hurt us the most.

Simmonds - Big [censored] up. Out of all of our losses, Simmonds and Jolly hurt us the most.

these too both wanted to go. we didnt stuff anything up. you cant force players to go if they want to stay. at the time white was by far the better ruckman than either, and they both thought they were the bees knees. jolly isnt much chop and simmonds (IMO) fell into the hall of fame match simply because there are no other ruckmen around atm. yes would be handy right now, but what were we going to do with either for the past 5 years? they didnt want to play 2nd fiddle but wernt good enough for no. 1...

Brent Moloney. Part of the Woey/Heffernan and swap of 1st rounders. I think it was Moloney for a 1st rounder

Clint Bizzell.- cant remember, maybe Grigic and a second rounder for Bizzel and a late pick

Peter Vardy. Really cant remember

Craig Ellis. Troy Simmonds for a second rounder and Craig Ellis i thin

There's my best guest, they could all be wrong

Mostly right kieran, just a few corrections:

We gave pick 12 for Moloney, which we had previously received from Adelaide for Scott Thompson.

The Bizzell and Grgic deals were separate. We gave picks 17 (James Kelly) and 41 (Henry Playfair) for Bizzell, while in a second deal Geelong gave us pick 55 (Brad Miller) for Grgic.

Ellis was a threeway swap. Essentially it went like this: Simmonds to Freo for Daniel Bandy and Pick 26 (Aaron Rogers). On-trade Bandy to WB for Ellis. If you think we got dudded there :lol: :lol: Ellis was a handy player until he did his knee and couldn't get back on the park. I thought it was an okay trade at the time and it was only rotten luck that it went pear shaped.

Adelaide gave Peter Vardy to Freo for Daniel Schell. Freo on-traded Vardy to us in exchange for Pick 56 (Paul Medhurst).

Yep, essentially our replacement for losing Scott Thompson to Adelaide. We got pick 12 for Thompson and on forwarded it to Geelong in exchange for Beamer.

I'm pretty sure Stenglein was also involved, something like this...Stenglein went to WC, Thompson went to Adelaide, pick 12 went to Melbourne. We then used pick 12 to get Moloney from the cats, the cats used pick 12 & their other first round pick to get Ottens from Richmond.

Edit: Just read Nasher's post, I'm pretty sure you can't on-trade players.

I'm pretty sure Stenglein was also involved, something like this...Stenglein went to WC, Thompson went to Adelaide, pick 12 went to Melbourne. We then used pick 12 to get Moloney from the cats, the cats used pick 12 & their other first round pick to get Ottens from Richmond.

Yes, Pick 12 was West Coast's to begin with. It (with 28) went to Adelaide for Stenglein. Adelaide then gave 12 to us for Thomspon. We gave 12 to Geelong for Moloney, who then gave it (with Pick 16) to Richmond for Ottens.

Richmond used 12 on Danny Meyer

Richmond used 16 on Adam Pattison

Adelaide used 28 on Chad Gibson

Just read Nasher's post, I'm pretty sure you can't on-trade players.

You may not be able to, but it's more or less how it works out. I just explained it that way because IMO explaining it in steps makes it clearer than explaining it in one jumbled three-way trade.

We've punted on recycled blokes like Motlop (compensation pick) Read (PSD) and Moorecroft (ND) that in general were short term solutions to deficiencies in the list. They were low risk, but low return ventures. In general they're like picking remainders out of the bargain bin... Their previous club didn't want them and no club wanted them enough to trade for them. The Nathan Foley story is enlightening - because it shows the conflict that can exist within a footy club in terms of how to manage a list. Do you punt on the higher risk rookie rather than the proven player?

Looking at the list of trades, in general most of them would have received pass marks. Only Heffernan was really a failure (yes he played a fair proportion of games, but he never became a good enough midfielder to fill the void he was recruited for). White, Bizz, Ellis, Holland, Vardy, Moloney and a very limited Pickett all play/played the roles they were targeted for. It's still too early to tell with someone like PJ and Meesen, but I guess if there's dissatisfaction, it's because since White we still haven't been able to land a talented 100-200 game player. (though there's still hope with PJ).

If the club does indeed finish down the lower end of the ladder as is likely, then with a number of players from the west and I'm sure other clubs as well examining their options, you'd hope the club would be talking turkey with a number of player managers right now in an effort to come to an in-principle agreement before the trade period starts.

By my recollection heffernan was swapped for a first round draft pick, about 10 i think. without doing any research it was swapped the same year we picked up Nick Smith and Daniel Bell. Happy to be corrected.

If that is correct it was a shocking trade. Heffernan was garbage for Melbourne.

You may not be able to, but it's more or less how it works out. I just explained it that way because IMO explaining it in steps makes it clearer than explaining it in one jumbled three-way trade.

Yeah, good idea

By my recollection heffernan was swapped for a first round draft pick, about 10 i think. without doing any research it was swapped the same year we picked up Nick Smith and Daniel Bell. Happy to be corrected.

If that is correct it was a shocking trade. Heffernan was garbage for Melbourne.

I'm not sure what actual draft picks they were but it was along the lines of our pick 12 for Essendon's pick 15 and Chris Heffernan.

IMO that was a great trade at that time. Keep the draft pick (albeit move down a few spots) and get a premiership player. Unfortunately he was a dud.

THe two trades that do pizz me off is the Byron Pickett (second rounder) and Gary Moorcrooft (3rd rounder). Trades that made me shake my head when it happened.

Pickett did not justify anything. Disgraceful that he wasn't in playing condition by rd 1 and ND actually gave the fat slob 5-6 rounds to get match fit. What a wonderful message to send to youngsters.

Moorcroft (shakes head). Mark of the year. whoopy do.

I'm not sure what actual draft picks they were but it was along the lines of our pick 12 for Essendon's pick 15 and Chris Heffernan.

IMO that was a great trade at that time. Keep the draft pick (albeit move down a few spots) and get a premiership player. Unfortunately he was a dud.

THe two trades that do pizz me off is the Byron Pickett (second rounder) and Gary Moorcrooft (3rd rounder). Trades that made me shake my head when it happened.

Pickett did not justify anything. Disgraceful that he wasn't in playing condition by rd 1 and ND actually gave the fat slob 5-6 rounds to get match fit. What a wonderful message to send to youngsters.

Moorcroft (shakes head). Mark of the year. whoopy do.

I think you are totally wrong re Picket, sure he had a shocker last year but he was very important in several of our wins early in 06 when we needed some toughness! I doubt we would have won a couple of those close ones if it werent for him.

Anyway, there is 1 other bloke that was the biggest flop of all who has not been mentioned yet. I am not surprised because if you blinked you would have missed his career at Melbourne after a reasonably handy one at the Dogs. None other than James Cook who played a total of 3 games in 2000 before he decided to hang up his boots. He kicked 8 goals in that time and from memory 5 or 6 came from 1 game!!

I think you are totally wrong re Picket, sure he had a shocker last year but he was very important in several of our wins early in 06 when we needed some toughness! I doubt we would have won a couple of those close ones if it werent for him.

Anyway, there is 1 other bloke that was the biggest flop of all who has not been mentioned yet. I am not surprised because if you blinked you would have missed his career at Melbourne after a reasonably handy one at the Dogs. None other than James Cook who played a total of 3 games in 2000 before he decided to hang up his boots. He kicked 8 goals in that time and from memory 5 or 6 came from 1 game!!

I remember that game, I think from memory against the Kangaroos. He played a blinder and we all thought we had found a goal sneak.

Talk about false hope.

Didn't Cook seriously break his ankle which ended up finishing his career?