Preview - Melbourne v Fremantle

Demonland

JUNK TIME by The Oracle

Late in the 2006 season, Sunday's contestants Melbourne and Fremantle were facing off against each other in a semi final at Subiaco. The Dockers won but went on to lose an exciting preliminary final against the Swans in Sydney while the Demons had to be content to settle for the mantle of the best Victorian team in the competition by virtue of a fifth on the ladder finish. Earlier in the season - in fact exactly two years ago in round 7 - Melbourne slaughtered Fremantle at the very venue where the teams will do battle on Sunday. The score line of 17.15.117 to 8.10.58 actually flattered the Dockers as the Demons effortlessly brushed aside their insipid opponents.

At the beginning of 2007 I was confident that both of these clubs were going places. So much so that I selected them to play off in the grand final later that year.

I was wrong.

Today, both of these teams are but a shadow of what they were way back then; their respective coaches Neale Daniher and Chris Connolly were summarily dismissed in the latter half of 2007 with neither surviving their 2006 finals glory by twelve months although Connolly has now changed camps and is the football manager at Melbourne. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as they say!

The two clubs - Melbourne and Fremantle are on the nose in their respective home states. Both of them need help (and a great deal of it) just to get through 2008.

The visitors come to town with a 1-5 record and have won only one quarter interstate this season. The home side has a worse record at 0-6 and has also won only one quarter interstate this season but its problem is that it has hardly done any better than that on home soil. It is for this reason that Melbourne officials have a worried look on their faces as this game approaches. Poor form means poor crowds and that means the Demons will have to write out a cheque just for the pleasure of playing a home game.

The club has been forced to come up with some innovative ideas to promote this game because the team is not much of a drawcard. That's no surprise because when your decision making is diabolical and your skill level is abysmal, when you seem to have little system and no creativity; when the only thing you're good at is fumbling and hitting opposing players on the chest when they're twenty metres away from the person standing them, people aren't going to queue up to see you play. What's even more problematic this week is that the Dockers aren't much better!

So the Dees have come up with the innovation of the week aimed at helping bring the youngsters through the turnstiles. They can meet non-playing players and club mascot Ronald Deeman outside gates 3 and 5, there are flag giveaways at membership marquees at the same gates and there are kids' entertainers outside the MCG before the game and after the game we'll see the return of one of football's great traditions when all fans will be allowed to set foot on the hallowed turf for a kick to kick session. Of course, this will be dependent on two things:

• the weather and

• whether any fans are left at the ground when the final siren sounds.
I wish the club good luck because while it's an admirable initiative, it can only help so much and no more. The best way to bring in crowds is to play winning footy and that prospect seems a long way off if we go by this year's performances.

I would dearly love to say that the tide will turn this week. After all, this game presents the Demons with their best opportunity so far - a home game against a side that is also struggling to win matches. The problem is that I struggle to see where the improvement will come from to sustain a four quarter effort from a team that is barely playing out one good quarter a week and only then, in junk time!

THE GAME Melbourne v Fremantle at the MCG - Sunday 4 May 2008 at 2:10pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 10 wins Fremantle 12 wins

At the MCG Melbourne 3 wins Fremantle 5 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 5 wins Fremantle 8 wins

The Coaches Bailey 0 wins Harvey 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Channel 7 at 3.00pm (delayed telecast)

RADIO 3AW MMM K-Rock

THE BETTING Melbourne to win $3.20 Fremantle to win $1.30

LAST TIME THEY MET Fremantle 22.12.144 defeated Melbourne 12.13.85 at Subiaco Round 21, 2007.

This was yet another forgettable game for Melbourne in a nightmarish end to a dismal season. The game meant nothing to either side but the Dockers had some unstoppable players led by Pavlich and McPharlin with Farmer chiming in with a few goals. Brock McLean usually does well against Freo and this game was no exception.

For the Demons all that was left now was a round 22 encounter against a team that didn't want to win.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs James Frawley Nathan Carroll Matthew Whelan

Half backs Clint Bartram, Jared Rivers Colin Sylvia

Centreline Aaron Davey Brock McLean Paul Wheatley

Half forwards: Cale Morton Russell Robertson Nathan Jones

Forwards: Brad Green Brad Miller Austin Wonaeamirri

Followers: Jeff White, James McDonald, Cameron Bruce

Interchange (from) Matthew Bate Daniel Bell Simon Buckley Colin Garland Mark Jamar Brent Moloney Matthew Warnock

In Matthew Bate Simon Buckley Colin Garland Matthew Whelan

Out Lynden Dunn (omitted)

FREMANTLE

Backs Steven Dodd Luke McPharlin Byron Schammer

Half backs Marcus Drum Michael Johnson Scott Thornton

Centreline David Mundy Rhys Palmer Ryan Crowley

Half forwards Garrick Ibbotson Chris Tarrant Dean Solomon

Forwards Ryan Murphy Matthew Pavlich Jeff Farmer

Followers Aaron Sandilands Des Headland Peter Bell

Interchange (from) Paul Duffield Andrew Foster Daniel Gilmore Mark Johnson Shaun McManus Brock O’Brien Robert Warnock

In Paul Duffield Andrew Foster Des Headland Mark Johnson Brock O’Brien Chris Tarrant Robert Warnock

Out Antoni Grover (quad) Roger Hayden (hamstring) Josh Carr (suspended) Clayton Hinkley

QUIZ TIME

Question: Which AFL club has improved its position on the ladder in every round this season?

Answer: Melbourne.

As the table below demonstrates, the Demons just keep improving every week. The improvement is ever so slight but as you can see, while Melbourne has maintained 16th position on the AFL ladder right through from Rounds 1 to 6, its percentage keeps on creeping upward with every passing week -

W L D For Agst % Pts Pos

Round 1 -

Melbourne 0 1 0 50 154 32.5 0 16

Round 2 -

Melbourne 0 2 0 116 315 36.8 0 16

Round 3 -

Melbourne 0 3 0 198 427 46.4 0 16

Round 4 -

Melbourne 0 4 0 277 554 50.0 0 16

Round 5 -

Melbourne 0 5 0 345 658 52.4 0 16

Round 6 -

Melbourne 0 6 0 430 795 54.1 0 16

This is what I call "improvement" and it's why I maintain that Dean Bailey is an absolute genius! No other coach in the competition can inspire improvement in his team on a regular weekly basis like he can.

Sheer genius!

The only problem is that, at this rate, it will take several years before the team can become competitive so something’s needed to accelerate the improvement.

This is where I have a real problem because Melbourne simply doesn't have the star players to turn the tide of a game. Fremantle, on the other hand, has one such person – Mathew Pavlich. He usually manages to perform against the Demons and, it’s his presence and that of former Demon, Jeff Farmer, who the club gave away for a song when he was at the height of his abilities, that will swing the game in the favour of the Dockers.

Fremantle by 29 points.

I think this is one of 3 games we will win this season. Honestly, I think if we drop this one we are pretty much a reincarnation of the Fitzroy lions of the 1990s. This is a close to a free meal as we will get. I thought the blues were going to be it, I am pretty sure this is as easy as it is going to get for the dees this year. (the dons could be an easy beat, but could have a few numbers back by the time we play them)

Freo at the MCG is never a sure thing, some games they can play good footy, but i would not be backing them with any confidence.

Tipping this to be a close one, Freo by 8 points if they come to play.

Guest fatty

What's happened?

At the conclusion of Round3 (?), Connolly came out and said that the entire list is under review until Round 6.

Whilst I wouldn't expect an announcement to be made at 4:40pm on Sunday, I would expect Connolly to be true to his word.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Pathetic.

Its a sad indictment on AFL that to win these days, you have to lose. Its sadder still that a club who promises to take action, squirms out of their social responsibilities. We're stuffed all over.

To persist with White and Robertson is mindless. Get some balls, Bails.

Say something, Connolly.

(Kudos to you, Yze-Magic)

Guest unstable punt
What's happened?

At the conclusion of Round3 (?), Connolly came out and said that the entire list is under review until Round 6.

Whilst I wouldn't expect an announcement to be made at 4:40pm on Sunday, I would expect Connolly to be true to his word.

Its a sad indictment on AFL that to win these days, you have to lose. Its sadder still that a club who promises to take action, squirms out of their social responsibilities. We're stuffed all over.

Say something, Connolly.

l don't know what game you're watching but the one l watch has White playing pretty well, can't you get a legit whipping boy?

Guest fatty
l don't know what game you're watching but the one l watch has White playing pretty well, can't you get a legit whipping boy?

Melbourne is not going anywhere for the next five years. Until then, have fun with Jeff.

What's happened?

Say something, Connolly.

White has been going alright ... PJ is hurt and Meesen isn't up to it yet after returning from an injury.

Robbo has lifted in recent weeks, and is one of precious few guys in the side who is old enough and mature enough in the body to withstand the big hits from the biggest players.

The changes should have happened elsewhere, but your point is correct.

White has been going fine and robbo has tried hard for weeks..he doesnt have the delivery needed.

I think what connolly was saying at the time was after rd 6 the coach would have a better understanding of the list that he likes for the future, so he would tell managers etc who he plans to keep for the future and who he plans to let go.

Thats how i see it anyway.

this is from the article when it came out-

Below is snippet of that article from the Herald Sun.

"The Club has given players until Round 6 to perform for coach Dean Bailey.

Demons football manager Chris Connolly said the club would hold firm with the current side until then, before deciding which players would form part of the club's future".

Connolly said that by Round 6 Bailey would have drawn a line through the list and that the new coach's patience was not unlimited.

"From a football point of view we are waiting for Round 6 for our match committee to assess the list and direction they will move," Connolly told radio station Triple M.

"I have told all the player managers to hold off until (round 6), until our match committee can get our heads around our players.

"The players we see as being part of our future will hopefully commit to the club and be involved in the process, and the others may have to hold off until the end of the year."

Not sure i ever read after round 6 we are going to drop half our team and play players for the sake of it?

Sure id like to see it...but all im saying is bails or connolly never said it so why are people getting so angry

this is from the article when it came out-

Below is snippet of that article from the Herald Sun.

"The Club has given players until Round 6 to perform for coach Dean Bailey.

Demons football manager Chris Connolly said the club would hold firm with the current side until then, before deciding which players would form part of the club's future".

Connolly said that by Round 6 Bailey would have drawn a line through the list and that the new coach's patience was not unlimited.

"From a football point of view we are waiting for Round 6 for our match committee to assess the list and direction they will move," Connolly told radio station Triple M.

"I have told all the player managers to hold off until (round 6), until our match committee can get our heads around our players.

"The players we see as being part of our future will hopefully commit to the club and be involved in the process, and the others may have to hold off until the end of the year."

Not sure i ever read after round 6 we are going to drop half our team and play players for the sake of it?

Sure id like to see it...but all im saying is bails or connolly never said it so why are people getting so angry

Excellent post Mousey.

Alot of posters have misquoted and misrepresented exactly what was said in regard to round 6 for their own ends. I find that pathetic.

After the poor start to the season there is no doubt player managers have made feverish attempts to commence contract negotiations in expectation of what was expected to be a tough season and player value challenged.

Its both reasonable and sensible to expect that CC and DB would want time to understand the character and performance of the list. After the early rounds, the failure or effort of players to improve their work rate has been telling to the coaching panel about who has a future and who does not.

I suspect some of the planning for the list come year is commencing now. For supporters to expect an open book from the match committee about this or to expect radical wholesale changes to the team given the performance and standard of the list is amazing.

If you want the message check the ins and especially the outs (which are not injury or suspension) and see which "stars" are wearing Zebra colours to work out who is going to make it and who isnt.

For starters Yze and Holland are finished. I think CJ Weetra and Newton are almost there. More will be known in due course.

It was announced in the 'Australian' on Tuesday that the review is actually happening after this Round has completed.

With no games for 2 weeks...it give the football department time to make a complete review of the list

Guest fatty
Excellent post Mousey.

Alot of posters have misquoted and misrepresented exactly what was said in regard to round 6 for their own ends. I find that pathetic.

After the poor start to the season there is no doubt player managers have made feverish attempts to commence contract negotiations in expectation of what was expected to be a tough season and player value challenged.

You're right Mousey. Connolly is not obliged to say anything. But for the couple of k I pump into this club every year, I wouldn't care either.

This club needs to be stripped bare. Neitz is injured and will not return. Yze is finished. Green and Bruce are still required players. The same does not apply for White and Robertson. Get rid of them - we need to start fresh even if it means losing by 100+ points every week. Its what I was hoping for at the end of round 6.

RR - I probably misunderstood Connolly's meaning. It would still be nice to get a status report, despite already knowing the content.

You're right Mousey. Connolly is not obliged to say anything. But for the couple of k I pump into this club every year, I wouldn't care either.

This club needs to be stripped bare. Neitz is injured and will not return. Yze is finished. Green and Bruce are still required players. The same does not apply for White and Robertson. Get rid of them - we need to start fresh even if it means losing by 100+ points every week. Its what I was hoping for at the end of round 6.

RR - I probably misunderstood Connolly's meaning. It would still be nice to get a status report, despite already knowing the content.

I share your frustration and disappointment about the season.

I think the Club and its culture is being turned on its head. I think the list will be overhauled. Its hard to strip it barer than it is.

I think White will be finished at year end and Robbo will perform a ceremonial final year at Sandy in 2009. It will be interesting watch Saunter and Robbo fight for the easy goal in TBO goal square.

DB and CC have a long process to undertake. I think they knew better than anyone else.

I actually think this time is an interesting period if you are prepared to look through the emotive static thats been generated on sites like this.

I see improvement in Robbo working up the ground and we need White to accept change in his game. It is arguable if this can be achieved. But we are better with him until PJ can cope with 100 minutes in the ruck.

They are not great leaps forward but you do yourself no favours by proposing mayhem. The graduations in change that may be coming through are hard enough to bear without chopping all class players.

White has been going fine and robbo has tried hard for weeks..he doesnt have the delivery needed.

I think what connolly was saying at the time was after rd 6 the coach would have a better understanding of the list that he likes for the future, so he would tell managers etc who he plans to keep for the future and who he plans to let go.

Thats how i see it anyway.

Totally Correct

White has been going alright... PJ is hurt and Meesen isn't up to it yet after returning from an injury.

Robbo has lifted in recent weeks, and is one of precious few guys in the side who is old enough and mature enough in the body to withstand the big hits from the biggest players. :o The changes should have happened elsewhere, but your point is correct.

To bad he is usually big hitting the ground... his lack of chase and desire to win a contest besides mark of the year contest is an inditment on Yoda wanting players who play the "right way".

White has been ok though, can't wait fro PJ to come back

Guest fatty
I see improvement in Robbo working up the ground and we need White to accept change in his game. It is arguable if this can be achieved. But we are better with him until PJ can cope with 100 minutes in the ruck.

They are not great leaps forward but you do yourself no favours by proposing mayhem. The graduations in change that may be coming through are hard enough to bear without chopping all class players.

I'm not proposing mayhem, Franky. Any of a number of players can plug the forward pocket.

It would also be nice to have a ruckman again that can take a contested mark - White certainly doesn't and I don't think PJ fulfills that criteria either. Give me Ditterich, Baker, O'Dwyer, Stynes.

The MFC would lose nothing by losing White and Robertson.

It was announced in the 'Australian' on Tuesday that the review is actually happening after this Round has completed.

With no games for 2 weeks...it give the football department time to make a complete review of the list

Indeed it was.

And as others have pointed out, a review is not code for "drop everyone".

Player managers have been told to hold off until after Round 7, meaning that after this week long-term decisions about players will be made. That doesn't mean we're going to drop everyone and anyone.

Junior is probably in his last season, does that mean he deserves to be dropped?

IMO the review is more to do with list management, than team management. Most players will be given their chance to play this season, and clearly those who have question marks hanging over their heads were given a chance at some point in the last 6 rounds (plus this week), to show Dean Bailey and Co whether they have a future at MFC.

Guest fatty
Indeed it was.

And as others have pointed out, a review is not code for "drop everyone".

Player managers have been told to hold off until after Round 7, meaning that after this week long-term decisions about players will be made. That doesn't mean we're going to drop everyone and anyone.

Junior is probably in his last season, does that mean he deserves to be dropped?

IMO the review is more to do with list management, than team management. Most players will be given their chance to play this season, and clearly those who have question marks hanging over their heads were given a chance at some point in the last 6 rounds (plus this week), to show Dean Bailey and Co whether they have a future at MFC.

You really do talk tripe, Jaded.

Nowhere anyone here has advocated dropping everyone. Apart from my nominated players, as others point out, there's noone left to drop anyway.

How would you know MacDonald is in his last year and who suggested dropping him? I'd drop him if there wa someone available.

The MFC needs to show its supporters a way forward. I was misguided in thinking it would be Rd6. CHAMP is right - I'll just wait until Rd12.

You really do talk tripe, Jaded.

Nowhere anyone here has advocated dropping everyone. Apart from my nominated players, as others point out, there's noone left to drop anyway.

How would you know MacDonald is in his last year and who suggested dropping him? I'd drop him if there wa someone available.

The MFC needs to show its supporters a way forward. I was misguided in thinking it would be Rd6. CHAMP is right - I'll just wait until Rd12.

Errr I wasn't actually replying to you :wacko:

And the reason I used Junior as an example, is to illustrate that just because the club decides that player A or player B are not going to be playing for the club next year (be it due to age, skill level, etc...), does not mean that said player is automatically going to be dropped to the VFL never to be seen again. White and Junior are both not likely to continue next season, but they both will play the next 16 rounds if their form warrants selection.

By saying that there is no one left to drop anyway, you are pretty much backing up my point of view that whatever review the club undertakes in the next few weeks, it will not necessarily be reflected in team selection. The review has to do with contracts and the long-term future of the list.