2nd Ruckman.

Ausyid

Going on PJ's performance against the Roo's, and a good game in the ruck in Cairns against the Tigers a couple of weeks back, i'd say he's probably our best bet for a spot in Round 1.

Jamar would then be next in line, whilst Meesen still seems to have a long way to go (in terms of his positioning in the contest, tap work, balance and strength). He will have to prove himself at Sandy before coming into the team. Both PJ and Jamar, whilst having only shown glimpses at AFL level, have consistently dominated at VFL level, and i'd imagine Meesen will have to show no less than what the other two have before getting a go in the 1's.

Going on PJ's performance against the Roo's, and a good game in the ruck in Cairns against the Tigers, i'd say he's probably our best bet for a spot in Round 1.

Jamar would then be next, whilst Meesen still seems to have a long way to go (in terms of his positioning in the contest and general tap work, balance and strength). He will have to prove himself at Sandy before coming into the team. Both PJ and Jamar, whilst having only shown glimpses at AFL level, have consistently dominated at VFL level, and i'd imagine Meesen will have to show no less than what the other two have before getting a go in the 1's.

Has anyone noticed how poor Meesen's handballing skills are? It can be argued that handballing skills for a big man are more important than foot skills. I am also surprised that Meesen has played more time on a wing, and in the forward line than as a ruckman. I understand Bailey is experimenting, but perhaps it would be good to see if someone 200cm can play in the ruck. Perhaps the experimenting of wing and forward line could have been trialled with white. That just seems strange to me.

i get shut down everytime i say this but here goes

just say that at the end of this year one of the new rookies and meeson are shaping up to be very good ruckmen, and jeff white is coming to a possible end of career, why not give him a red hot go at CHF...we know he was a popular all australian choice because he had good versatility around the ground but i can see him filling in that gap very well and it could also postpone his career, especially if we are looking at having a good tilt at the premiership

anyway, time to shut me down people

Has anyone noticed how poor Meesen's handballing skills are? It can be argued that handballing skills for a big man are more important than foot skills. I am also surprised that Meesen has played more time on a wing, and in the forward line than as a ruckman. I understand Bailey is experimenting, but perhaps it would be good to see if someone 200cm can play in the ruck. Perhaps the experimenting of wing and forward line could have been trialled with white. That just seems strange to me.

I did notice he telegraphed a few in the game against Geelong, but whose skills by hand (and foot) weren't horrible that day? Geelong's pressure was top-rate.

It was quite strange that DB seemed to play Meesen as a tall midfielder, often going up as the 3rd man in the ruck at stoppages. He did a couple of nice things in that Cats game, but overall seemed too ungainly, awkward and slow-of-mind to play that role. And his time spent in the ruck didn't look much better. His ruckwork lacked the physicality and positioning know-how of the more big-bodied rucks on the list. He didnt look as well seasoned as PJ and Jamar to the role, and they are no world-beaters at senior level. He made them look like big raging bulls with some of his half-hearted (attempted) ruck contests!

It may seem like i'm having a dig at Meesen, i'm not at all, but i think if we are to see the best from him, he needs as long as it takes at Sandy to get accustomed to playing in the ruck and playing well in that position before bringing him into the team. Consistently dominating the ruck at VFL-level in the same way PJ and Jamar have over the last 3 seasons. Former top 10 draft pick or not, he needs to prove himself first.

The most worrying thing for me about Meesen at the moment is that, from first impressions he looks pretty good, but very similar to Daniel Bandy-type player. A 200cm, agile big fella with a huge tank, super athletic attributes, what looks to be a reasonably big-body and a big set of mitts... seemingly with everything required to excel at AFL level... except the ability to play football.

Though the same thing could probably be said about all our back up rucks at the moment :wacko:

DB at the breakfast ,stated that at a trial during practice , PJ beat Jamar in Tap outs 6 to 5, an hence played in the NAB challenge match.

Meesan was behind these 2, at the moment. He has good physical abilities, but needs more development.

White as a forward has never really worked. I actually like the idea of him as a defender, but from what I've heard when they trilled him there, things didn't go swimmingly.

I like PJ. He's going to be a player. I just don't know that he's ready for a lot of time in the ruck just yet, and he may NEVER be a classy tap-ruckman. So I like him more as that flexible type...

Jamar moves like a sumo wrestler, is lucky to be on the list, and will need to cover SO mch ground not to be let go at the end of the year...

The only reason I'm not sure Meesen should be given the number 2 spot straight away is that he's so new to the club. The more think about it the more I reckon it's a bit silly that I think that way. If he's good enough, he should be put on the bench... If not, Sandy it is...

I'm all for White + PJ/Meesen in the right games, or Just White + PJ (Meesen emergency), until Meesen comes on a bit. Maybe just give hi a year in and out of the side. His work ethic alone has to be rewarded in some way.

I reckon Meeson could be good as a pinch-hitter in the forward line - to create a mis-match concern for the opposition defenders. His only shot for goal against Geelong was a nice 45 mtr set shot, so it proved to me that he is a good kick. I'm not sure of his marking credentials.

The major problem is Meeson was very underwhelming in the pre-season and will probably need 6 weeks to prove himself at Sandy.

When the Demons look good, it is when we used Jeff White down the corridor as the player to switch to.... every team knew this and Jeff's effectiveness around the ground has become less and less.

perhaps by using meeson in a wing role, he is hoping to again use this...

two years ago, we owned the MCG... the same cattle is on the list, except for Travis, so why can;t we regain that stranglehold....

our ruckman over the years have shown that they cannot play forward or that we are not willing to persist with the structure...

Jeff White is our number one ruck by a mile but needs to be more damaging around the ground... he has good skills for a big fella!!

pj, well he shows a little bit here and there and also is a very nice kick....

Never seen Meesen play but i'm curious if he could be played as a mobile, marking CHF, like a Pav or Reiwolt. He has the motor from all reports, but does he have the ability?

We may as well draft Craig Mottram, because he's got as much chance of playing like a Pav or Reiwoldt, as Meesen.

Bate or Dunn as mobile CHF's, possibly. Meesen, never.

When the Demons look good, it is when we used Jeff White down the corridor as the player to switch to.... every team knew this and Jeff's effectiveness around the ground has become less and less.

two years ago, we owned the MCG... the same cattle is on the list, except for Travis, so why can;t we regain that stranglehold....

Its the midfield.

And a focussed in form Pickett and a fit Bartram and McLean

agreed - all stats point to our midfield...

so the return of a moloney, bartram, maclean will help but also need to increase our rotations through here...

davey!!

Both stats and game observations. Dont think Moloney played much of 2006. I just dont see how Davey can win enough of his own ball in tough contested situations in the midfield and will be more reliant on other stronger first dibs midfielders like Jones, McLean. I dont think Davey has the fitness beyond a cameo to play solidly in the midfield.

Our midfield should be better for their return this year.