I can't believe Sylvia has been with us for 5 years

praha

Yet another player who has struggled to live up to expectations at Melbourne. Granted, he has had a lot of injuries, but if he doesn't perform this year he should be traded at the end of the year. I hate hacks, and he is slowly becoming one, like Johnstone was, like Green is and like Bruce is becoming.

*waits to get flamed*

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MFC4Life
Yet another player who has struggled to live up to expectations at Melbourne. Granted, he has had a lot of injuries, but if he doesn't perform this year he should be traded at the end of the year. I hate hacks, and he is slowly becoming one, like Johnstone was, like Green is and like Bruce is becoming.

*waits to get flamed*

I disagree. I saw plenty last year that indicated he can become a top line performer and one of our best players if he can keep fit and hungry. Watch highlights of the Queens Birthday match against Collingwood match last year. I'd argue that he has more potential than Johnstone, Green and Bruce and he is on the cusp of that potential being realised IMO.

I disagree. I saw plenty last year that indicated he can become a top line performer and one of our best players if he can keep fit and hungry. Watch highlights of the Queens Birthday match against Collingwood match last year. I'd argue that he has more potential than Johnstone, Green and Bruce and he is on the cusp of that potential being realised IMO.

mate your not wrong i just looked up highlights on you tube and it only shows like two glimpes of him but jesus did i get shivers down my spine, i think we all know he has it, but he has to string together a full season and really step up as a main contributer.

Here is the video link by the way- whoever made this video take a bow!! he thanks demonland and demonology in the credits...BRILLIANT and makes me more excited for the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-27a7CD-Fc

For the last four years I've not rated Sylvia, didnt really appreciate what bad shape his body was in.

Then I recall it took one of my former favourites - Scott Thompson - about 3 years to really start getting going.

That being the case it should be time for Col's time now if his body is right, now we can hopefully see exactly what he's made of.

For the last four years I've not rated Sylvia, didnt really appreciate what bad shape his body was in.

Then I recall it took one of my former favourites - Scott Thompson - about 3 years to really start getting going.

That being the case it should be time for Col's time now if his body is right, now we can hopefully see exactly what he's made of.

Sylvia did some good things for us in the NAB Cup match at the Cattery, and reports are that he's been on the improve in the Challenge matches. This has to be the best shape he's been in going into an AFL season, I've got the faith that it starts this year for him.

It had better be, because I picked him for my Dream Team!

mate your not wrong i just looked up highlights on you tube and it only shows like two glimpes of him but jesus did i get shivers down my spine, i think we all know he has it, but he has to string together a full season and really step up as a main contributer.

Here is the video link by the way- whoever made this video take a bow!! he thanks demonland and demonology in the credits...BRILLIANT and makes me more excited for the season

Both of those Sylvia plays were definitely spine tinlging

Probably the best 'dont arge' I have ever seen, along with a spellbinding move that would make CHris Judd proud

*waits to get flamed*

He's had his best pre-season to date, and has featured amongst better players in each of the NAB and Challenge games. He's definitely no hack, and if he remains relatively injury free he'll have a big year .... probably spending a fair bit of the time in the midfield.

This kid has so much 'upside' to him it's just not funny and I honestly believe that he'll play his best footy playing out of the middle. He's one of the few genuine impact style of players that we have on our list.

That was me who made that. ^_^

Guest Schtacker
That was me who made that. ^_^

MATE THAT WAS FANTASTIC - LOVE THE CLOKE INTRO AND THE 'SCUMMY MAN' HALF-TIME SHOW - BRILLIANT!

PS Yes really exciting stuff from Col there, I saw some other highlights package which showed some awesome grabs he took also last year... definitely has the bag of tricks that if put together consistently could make him a star, type of player that can turn a match with a few moments of brilliance ala Davey and Alan Didak

Extremely heartening to see him named for the fourth of four praccy matches, I beleieve he's been amongst the best each week, so far so good in 08

As for the Brownlow? $500 for a win and $126 for a place, two major obstacles being of course propensity for injury and being in a shizen team... doesn't poll well

Guest fatty

*waits to get flamed*

Agree with you CB.

The use-by-date on Sylvia is about to expire and he knows it himself.

The VFL and VAFA is littered with schoolboy heroes who dominated at under-age level but couldn’t cut it on the big stage.

There was an article in The Age recently anointing him with the triple crown of talent (speed, strength & smarts). I'll allow him the middle one. I think he’s slow and dumb.

I’ve heard all the arguments and excuses in his favour and I feel for him, but I remain unconvinced. To me, he looks more like Simon Eishold every day.

I want to be proved wrong. I don’t hold high hopes.

Madness - just a comment on that video...

It really is very very well made. I love how during the last quarter you zoom in on the scoreboard.

I've seen the non-youtube high quality version, and it really is brilliant.

There are alot worst players on our list than Sylvia. Even now if his career was to platuea Im sure another club would pick him up.

But hey the kid has just turned 22 and completed his 4th season about to enter his 5th. He knows he has to deliver and has even been labelled by Nathan Doogy Brown a respected figure at the Dees that he has leadership potential.

Guys like Ryan O'Keefe were on a list or 6 years before they did even anything. Look at TJ did crap all in his first 4 years.

Similair to Simon Eishold ?? bite your tongue.

The simple fact is he has been hampered by injury and will never be 100 % it looks like. I read that article where he goes through a whole taping process around his pelvic and low abdomin region.

The sobering thought is despite his best pre-season he still is not 100 % with his body.

I think he is a gun but wonder if he can play a full season without too much restriction.

Thanks guys, I plan on doing a production for the season, 2 parts, first part will be rounds 1-11, and the second part will be rounds 12-22. And if we go further there will be a part 3. :)

Anyway, don't want to send this off topic. My 2 cents, 'The Kid' has shown that he is 'that good', and if he can do some of the things he did against the filth last year, on a consistent basis this year then mate, lookout...

But, it can go completely the other way, he has another mediocre season, and he gets delisted/traded...

I'm leaning towards the earlier. :)

I’ve heard all the arguments and excuses in his favour and I feel for him, but I remain unconvinced. To me, he looks more like Simon Eishold every day.

Yeah, cos I remember seeing Eishold take towering pack marks, lay bone crunching bumps, give out dont argues and kick booming goals from 60 metres out on the run

:blink:

Guest fatty
Yeah, cos I remember seeing Eishold take towering pack marks, lay bone crunching bumps, give out dont argues and kick booming goals from 60 metres out on the run

:blink:

I seriously doubt you're old enough to remember. Apart from a couple of nice tackles, Sylvia has done none of the spectacular items at AFL level for which you credit Eishold.

But I would never dream of trying to stop you from continuing to pump the kid up.

Carry on.

I seriously doubt you're old enough to remember. Apart from a couple of nice tackles, Sylvia has done none of the spectacular items at AFL level for which you credit Eishold.

But I would never dream of trying to stop you from continuing to pump the kid up.

Carry on.

I think yze magic was being sarcastic.

Apart from a couple of nice tackles, Sylvia has done none of the spectacular items at AFL level for which you credit Eishold.

Carry on.

Actually, fatty, I can pinpoint the games and rounds in which Colin Sylvia performed each of these acts at least once.

Towering pack mark: Round 5, 2006, v North Melbourne. Sylvia took a huge pack mark near the behind post at the Punt Road end in the first quarter.

Bone-crunching bump: NAB Cup Round 1, 2008, v Geelong. Sylvia flattened some poor bloke in Melbourne's forward line in the third term that resulted in a goal.

Don't argue: Round 11, 2007, v Collingwood. Big don't argue handed out in the third term on the Southern Stand wing.

Booming goal from 60m: Round 8, 2006, v Hawthorn. The Dees were beaten, but Colin stepped up in the second half. One of his goals to the Punt Road end was a long-range effort from outside 50.

I know the point you're making - that he's not a star yet and isn't even close - but as an avowed Sylvia fan, I thought it prudent that the facts were made clear. ;)

Actually, fatty, I can pinpoint the games and rounds in which Colin Sylvia performed each of these acts at least once.

Towering pack mark: Round 5, 2006, v North Melbourne. Sylvia took a huge pack mark near the behind post at the Punt Road end in the first quarter.

Bone-crunching bump: NAB Cup Round 1, 2008, v Geelong. Sylvia flattened some poor bloke in Melbourne's forward line in the third term that resulted in a goal.

Don't argue: Round 11, 2007, v Collingwood. Big don't argue handed out in the third term on the Southern Stand wing.

Booming goal from 60m: Round 8, 2006, v Hawthorn. The Dees were beaten, but Colin stepped up in the second half. One of his goals to the Punt Road end was a long-range effort from outside 50.

I know the point you're making - that he's not a star yet and isn't even close - but as an avowed Sylvia fan, I thought it prudent that the facts were made clear. ;)

It would be nice if Sylvia could produce one of these feats every game, instead of across a couple of seasons. Then maybe we could all join in on the Sylvia love fest.

It would be nice if Sylvia could produce one of these feats every game, instead of across a couple of seasons. Then maybe we could all join in on the Sylvia love fest.

Well said could not be more accurate.

This is why we are still waiting for a flag because a number 3 draft pick in his 5th season should be taking the compitition by storm like JUDD who was a number 3 pick as well, thanks ccam

Guest Schtacker

Sylvia has been amongst our best 3 or 4 every week in the preseason, IMO (note week 2 and 3 opinion based on others' reports)

Particularly liked his attack on the ball and man on Saturday, and he did some genuinely fantastic things including some I50 marks on a lead and a beautiful goal from the boundary