You'll never walk alone

shimmo

Well said No 16 !!!!

As someone said earlier, there is too much going on in an AFL game to sing a song.

It has to be a chant that is simple, distinctively Mfc/Demons and aggressive if the players and the general AFL following public are going to take notice.

One of the main problems we have is being drowned out by larger opposition crowds. :angry:

Maybe the use of a tool of some sort (like those handheld clappers etc.) in conjunction with the new chant could be the trick.

They could be red and blue, logo'd, produced by the club and sold through the Mfc shop or at the grounds therefore also adding to revenues. Maybe even given with kids memberships.

Wouldn't it be nice to drown out the Carltank and filth supporters for once !!! :D

That hasn't been done for 43 years either.....

It's time to stand tall and be noticed for we are the FIRST & GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD !!!!

Go The Mighty Demons !!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no.16 that is a great post and what I was trying to get at when I supported You'll never walk alone"

something to get the fans going and tell the players we are behind them...

You'll never walk alone was a pop song that liverpool started singing in the 60's near its release maybe MFC needs to adopt a current song as I believe chants of melbourne chap chap chap and things like lets go melbourne lets go (don't think we do this one) are sh^t and don't have the passion... I don't believe there is too much going on at the start of a match... around warm ups and tossing of the coin for the club to sing a song.... especially since we could use the loud speakers and screen at the G... although you couldn't sing one during the match...

If the club picked a new song the benefit would be every time it played on the radio people would think of the MFC which we would another great thing....

I can't think of a song for the MFC but an example would be "the saints are coming" U2 and greenday( I think) for St Kilda

Liverpool are the equivalent of Collingwood with their filth supporters.

Why would we want to associate with them?

No...Liverpool win things occasionally.....Collingwood are like their magpie counterparts Newcastle Utd....big following...promise heaps....deliver little...

You'll never walk alone is a song sung by most teams in England....Liverpool started it mainly because Gerry and the Pacemakers came from there...I've stood on the North Bank at Highbury with my scarf above my head singing YNWA...I've been at an FA Cup Semi Final at Hillsborough with Liverpool supporters at the other end and the noise they make is fantastic...that's because of the segregation of fans...which I reckon makes for a far better atmosphere...I'd much rather be in the middle of Melbourne supporters than have a pack of Collingwood yobs in the next row...

Imagine all Melbourne fans up one end singing "it's a grand old flag".....

I don't go along with the theory that the media here seems to love that one of the supposed great things about our game is the fact that we can sit next to a Collingwood or Richmond supporter at a game...bollocks!.....get the segregation of fans going and find out what real atmosphere is all about...

No...Liverpool win things occasionally.....Collingwood are like their magpie counterparts Newcastle Utd....big following...promise heaps....deliver little...

You'll never walk alone is a song sung by most teams in England....Liverpool started it mainly because Gerry and the Pacemakers came from there...I've stood on the North Bank at Highbury with my scarf above my head singing YNWA...I've been at an FA Cup Semi Final at Hillsborough with Liverpool supporters at the other end and the noise they make is fantastic...that's because of the segregation of fans...which I reckon makes for a far better atmosphere...I'd much rather be in the middle of Melbourne supporters than have a pack of Collingwood yobs in the next row...

I don't go along with the theory that the media here seems to love that one of the supposed great things about our game is the fact that we can sit next to a Collingwood or Richmond supporter at a game...bollocks!.....get the segregation of fans going and find out what real atmosphere is all about...

It's an interesting thought, at TD if you buy general admit you can request to be with the Melbourne cheer squad. That's always handy because it means you can get bottom level seats for general admit prices. Now because TD seems to be a hated venue by most Melbourne supporters we do don't get much of a following down there, but that's something that think a lot of venues should implement. It would be nice to have the option, personally i hate away games at the G because i sit near opposition supporters making asses out of themselves.

On a smarts rating of 1 - 10 I'd give that suggestion a 1.

You want to encourage the aggro and violence that accompanies many football games in Europe and the UK (pre-game, during the game and post-game) and replicate it in Oz then that's your recipe. Divide the crowd and watch the tension grow.

Hello? We don't have 'atmosphere'? You must have been under a rock for 150 years.

We get crowds that those leagues can only dream of and thankfully we co-exist more often than not with opposition supporters in a peaceful way.

Anyway I'd hate not having a few Pies supporters within earshot when we give them another Queen's Birthday towelling.

A team backed by a united voice from all fans is all that's required. It's a matter of passion and supporters rocking up in numbers, not where you sit.

Segregation... wtf ?? you want to go back to the dark ages ?? One of the beauties of this game is the audience is a little bit more evolved than some sports. I agree with MB..as much as I loathe the team...am happy to sit with them...all part of the banter etc. Aussies Rules is a game for all folk.. not just nutcase one eyed antagonists. A few other sports could do a lot worse than follow us not the other way around !!

get the segregation of fans going and find out what real atmosphere is all about...

I agree. I'd also love to it if we could start participating in the riots, burning of everything in sight and generally have to fear for our safety any time we go to a footy match.

In all seriousness, once segregation starts we're on the slippery slope towards acting like a bunch of dicks at the football like many around the world do in the round ball game.

I agree. I'd also love to it if we could start participating in the riots, burning of everything in sight and generally have to fear for our safety any time we go to a footy match.

In all seriousness, once segregation starts we're on the slippery slope towards acting like a bunch of dicks at the football like many around the world do in the round ball game.

You mean acting like Collingwood supporters?

Segregation... wtf ?? you want to go back to the dark ages ?? One of the beauties of this game is the audience is a little bit more evolved than some sports. I agree with MB..as much as I loathe the team...am happy to sit with them...all part of the banter etc. Aussies Rules is a game for all folk.. not just nutcase one eyed antagonists. A few other sports could do a lot worse than follow us not the other way around !!

Yeah how true

I am a new member to this site and an old one at that so please be patient with me. This is my third try at posting a reply so heres hoping this one gets thru.

A new song to sing at the games!!! Bugger soccer this is aussie rules and the mighty DEMONS, not some game where a 1-0 scoreline is a great game.

Our problem isnt a song or chant its the supporters if thats what you call alot of them. No balls we want to be the team or club you would want to take your mom to see, remember we are the only club to vote itself out of existance. We need to get down in the mud and get dirty.

The 50s are gone dont have a club ruled by what i call the invisiables- vote by proxy and are never seen.Earlier this year when we played hawthorn a drunken hawks supporter kept chanting WE VOTED NO YOU VOTED YES!!! i hated that man really hated him but whats so very sad its he was right. As a supporter base we suck. How many go to every game in victoria ? As a club we need to vote with our bums and put them on the seats,win lose or draw.

Bugger china let the club get its members right here first. QUESTION when are we training i want to know as i want to go and watch the dees, the club wont tell us.

Well i hope i post this right as i want some feedback and its taken me ages to type it.

MFC_Chant.mp3

Sorry it's taken so long.

Here is a start to putting something together for our 150th and beyond.

This sound bite will get the blood pumping.....only thing is we need to make it OURS (not another generic AFL approved, one song fits all clubs kind of thing).

I see this sound bite being played by a trumpeter (could be part of the cheers squad) as a 'trigger' to get the crowd involved.....the only problem is what to chant/sing along with it.

I think the best fit is to have the trumpeter play the tune slower and then have the crowd yell 'MELBOURNE' (in the pause between the single and double trumpets playing) and then yell 'DEMONS' (after the second pause) followed by, 'OUR HEARTS BEAT TRUE FOR THE RED AND THE BLUE' (after the third pause, or in this case the end of the sound bite).

I guess the key here is to make sure these very well known notes played by a trumpet become forever associated with the MFC.

Anyway this is just a start.

Enjoy

Go Dees - Keep punching :lol:

I am a new member to this site and an old one at that so please be patient with me. This is my third try at posting a reply so heres hoping this one gets thru.

A new song to sing at the games!!! Bugger soccer this is aussie rules and the mighty DEMONS, not some game where a 1-0 scoreline is a great game.

Our problem isnt a song or chant its the supporters if thats what you call alot of them. No balls we want to be the team or club you would want to take your mom to see, remember we are the only club to vote itself out of existance. We need to get down in the mud and get dirty.

The 50s are gone dont have a club ruled by what i call the invisiables- vote by proxy and are never seen.Earlier this year when we played hawthorn a drunken hawks supporter kept chanting WE VOTED NO YOU VOTED YES!!! i hated that man really hated him but whats so very sad its he was right. As a supporter base we suck. How many go to every game in victoria ? As a club we need to vote with our bums and put them on the seats,win lose or draw.

Bugger china let the club get its members right here first. QUESTION when are we training i want to know as i want to go and watch the dees, the club wont tell us.

Well i hope i post this right as i want some feedback and its taken me ages to type it.

You want feedback? Well I don't know where to start, because you jump from one issue to another, and they're not related.

Firstly, you've obviously got a myopic view on sport. Aussie Rules, and no other sport matters. AFL clubs can always do things better. If adopting a chant from another sporting code drags a different supporter demographic to our games, let's do it.

On the issue of attendances, we have the smallest supporter base in the country. In order to build on our supporter base and potential sponsorship deals, the club is trying to embrace the large Chinese population in Melbourne. If you got your head out of the sand, you'd realise that Melbourne is a multi-cultural city built around migrants, and if the Melbourne FC needs to change it's perceived image of being a team for the toffs in order to build it's supporter base, then so be it. Look what Collingwood have done with Emirates.

Finally, I don't see what relevance the failed Melbourne/Hawthorn merger or the club providing to supporters our training schedule, has to do with adopting a new chant!

You want feedback? Well I don't know where to start, because you jump from one issue to another, and they're not related.

Firstly, you've obviously got a myopic view on sport. Aussie Rules, and no other sport matters. AFL clubs can always do things better. If adopting a chant from another sporting code drags a different supporter demographic to our games, let's do it.

On the issue of attendances, we have the smallest supporter base in the country. In order to build on our supporter base and potential sponsorship deals, the club is trying to embrace the large Chinese population in Melbourne. If you got your head out of the sand, you'd realise that Melbourne is a multi-cultural city built around migrants, and if the Melbourne FC needs to change it's perceived image of being a team for the toffs in order to build it's supporter base, then so be it. Look what Collingwood have done with Emirates.

Finally, I don't see what relevance the failed Melbourne/Hawthorn merger or the club providing to supporters our training schedule, has to do with adopting a new chant!

i only take exception to one item in your reply to my myoptic ramblings. i am not myoptic regarding only AFL sport. i can watch and enjoy a number of sports, BUT i can only barrack for one team no matter what the mighty DEES! Next point, my ramblings so i ramble big deal. my point i was trying to make was as a club we have only limited resources very limited and to my way of thinking we should concentrate and get what we are doing now right before moving on.

i think the trumpter was great on the days he played an idea worth building on.

i still want to know when we are training. as a club that shouldnt be a question that cant be answered why?

members dont like being remindered of the merger, as a group we allowed it to happen hopefully we never do again.

finally[thank god] I might have my head in the sand so i guess that means i am down to earth.

Thanks dennis for clearing up what you where saying oringally. At first i did not get it, and now i see your point and i agree with you on most points.

Any way welcome to demonland and i'm sure with more posting you will be more understood and you will gain more confidence. I know it is hard at the start

If adopting a chant from another sporting code drags a different supporter demographic to our games, let's do it.

I have a sneaking suspicion I dont want THAT demographic at AFL games !!

I dont want segreation

I dont want to see outright unruly beahviour

I dont want meaningless violence

I dont want to see flares

I like that anyone really can go to a game and enjoy it as a spectacle without supposedly the necessityof going in 'numbers'

The age,gender and cultural diversification of your average AFL game is marvellous...Not all codes get this.

I have a sneaking suspicion I dont want THAT demographic at AFL games !!

I dont want segreation

I dont want to see outright unruly beahviour

I dont want meaningless violence

I dont want to see flares

I like that anyone really can go to a game and enjoy it as a spectacle without supposedly the necessityof going in 'numbers'

The age,gender and cultural diversification of your average AFL game is marvellous...Not all codes get this.

You're really drawing a long bow associating a chant with unruly behaviour, meaningless violence and flares.

And could you elaborate on your last statement. I for one don't get this!

do you get a lot of young families ..kids..both genders along to a soccer game.. A -league that is?? Clear enough !!

do you get a lot of young families ..kids..both genders along to a soccer game.. A -league that is?? Clear enough !!

Yes you do. I'd never been to an NSL game, and was staggered at that amount of kids and females who attended the the Victory games when I went to their games at Olympic Park. These even more now that they play at TD.

Obviously your assessments are based on TV or newspaper shots which focus on the male dominated Victory Supporter groups.

Just out of interest, how many Football (Soccer) games have you attended?