• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Starting to warm to Bailey

Redleg

Even though I was a supporter of Sheedy being appointed, for all of the reasons I have stated elsewhere, I am starting to warm to Bailey. The endorsements of him that are now being made public, such as Nathan Burke's " I wish I had played under him" and Mark Williams " he will be a very successful Coach" give rise to much optimism. The fact that he is prepared to fast track development of the younger players excites me and is something I have craved during Neale's tenure and was largely disappointed with. The fact that he sees players playing in different positions is also refreshing and demonstrates a flexibilty that is needed in todays football. His declaration that he wants to work with the players not have them work for him and that he wishes to hear their opinions is also refreshing. Lastly his comfort with the media and sense of humour is also an advantage in increasing the PR of the Club. I wish him the best of luck.

Here here, already the fountain of negativity is spewing forth every reason to not appoint Bailey.

He has the job and I liked the look of him FWIW, he looked in control and not overawed at the challenge ahead.

I am looking forward to him unleashing a few Demons who I think have real talent and perhaps puttinga rocket up a few who are coasting a little.

CAC has proved his ability to find a smokey... me thinks Gardner just joined those ranks !! Sounds like a totally diferent beast to Neale in many respects. Am looking very much forward to seeing some of his work. The NAB cup will be a 1000 times more interesting for a change.

The coming draft and psd will be also and wil give a hint as to any new directions he may be taking us.

its going to be quite a different look and feel to the team next year I sense. TFFT :D

Lastly his comfort with the media and sense of humour is also an advantage in increasing the PR of the Club. I wish him the best of luck.

very important point.

His handling of the interview and media questions yesterday was first class, and i think the media have already warmed to him - meaning they will seek him out as filler stories etc. - good PR. (hangon - isn't that Paul Gardiners forte too?).

As an aside, you have to hand it to Gardiner - the media on this was done in the first week of finals - when there will be little other news, giving maximum opportunity for coverage and discussion.

Huge potential to replace the Reverend on 'before the Game'

Yep, I'm rapidly warming to him too.

I've stopped even thinking about Sheedy (my original preferred coach) and I'm just taking a look at the Melbourne Coach, and I'm liking each thing I see/hear.

Particularly enjoyed his comments about 'not putting hurdles in front of young players' and so on.

If I had a major gripe about our past coaching, then the apparent attitide that 'a kid can do this, a kid can do that, but a kid can't do the other thing' would be the one. Any time a new guy shows some special promise, enough to get ahead of the conveyor belt, they are touted as next captain, leadership material, superstar today, all the hype.

A change in attitude there could be very rewarding, both on results for the kids (less constrained = more initiative) and for the senior players (loss of 'automatic' status relative to kids = greater competitiveness)

And the guy looks much better in a Demons guernsey than a Port one, I swear he looks less bald all the time...

CAC has proved his ability to find a smokey... me thinks Gardner just joined those ranks !! Sounds like a totally diferent beast to Neale in many respects. Am looking very much forward to seeing some of his work. The NAB cup will be a 1000 times more interesting for a change.

The coming draft and psd will be also and wil give a hint as to any new directions he may be taking us.

its going to be quite a different look and feel to the team next year I sense. TFFT :D

From what I've heard CAC had a very active "behind the scenes" role in assessing the fit each candidate had with the current list - and he was pushing Bailey from day one.

Very happy with the choice.

GTFO >>

The MFC has missed the biggest oppourtunity it has ever had in not snaping up sheedy.

1. Sheedy would have ruled with an iron fist. The players needed a tough old bastard to straighten them out.

2. Sheedy would have raised the clubs reputation. Bailey is a no-body. Sheedy would have hauled in sponsorship and in turn better funding for the club.

3. The subject of age. In most major sports around the world, soccer, tennis etc. clubs simply don't employ coaches who are under 60 due to inexperience. The subject of age is bulldust and anybody who uses that argument against sheedy, now and in the future is most likely 13.

Case closed.

GTFO >>

The MFC has missed the biggest oppourtunity it has ever had in not snaping up sheedy.

1. Sheedy would have ruled with an iron fist. The players needed a tough old bastard to straighten them out.

2. Sheedy would have raised the clubs reputation. Bailey is a no-body. Sheedy would have hauled in sponsorship and in turn better funding for the club.

3. The subject of age. In most major sports around the world, soccer, tennis etc. clubs simply don't employ coaches who are under 60 due to inexperience. The subject of age is bulldust and anybody who uses that argument against sheedy, now and in the future is most likely 13.

Case closed.

1. Do you know how tough Bailey is? Got any proof that he isn't as tough, if not tougher, than Sheedy?

2. Success raises reputation. Case closed.

3. Some successful AFL coaches under the age of 60: Roos, Warsfold, Thompson, Clarkson, Laidley... in fact, is there a team in the top 8 coached by anyone over 60?

I'm a fan of Sheedy, but he does have a lot of downsides.

Bailey is the future and as a club, we need to look forward.

Your points are valid Jaded, and of course, this is an argument in which the final judgement has already been layed down. But suffice, I will rebutt my points regardlessly.....

1. I have no proof that Bailey isn't tough. BUT, there is proof that sheedy's tough, and absolutely none that Bailey is. Which would you rather?

2. Despite our dismal performance in 07, our membership had one of the the largest increases it has ever seen. Reputation raises reputation, success is a mere by-product.

3. I did not at any stage refer to AFL. I said in 'many other major sports' coaches over 60 are the one's most sort after by clubs due to their experience.

As said though, this argument was over before it even started. The board has already nailed shut the coffin and arguing about it won't change anything I'm afraid.

GTFO >>

Case closed.

Case Wide Open

Give it 12 months to unfold

You dont go through a stringent process to find a coach & just decide to give it to nobody.

This guy has clearly impressed the panel, & looked very calm & ready to roll @ yesterdays press conference.

Sheedy would of been interesting & a huge risk

From all reports Bailey is a hard task master & very left field.

Does that sound like someone you know who began his coaching career 27 years ago?

Give the guy a chance to show us his bag of tricks

GTFO >>

Case closed.

Case Reopened.

Dean Bailey is the best coach for our club at this time.

Now it is case closed.