Sandringham v Coburg

Beach Road Bazza

Sandringham vs Coburg Tigers Saturday 25th August at Trevor Barker Beach Oval (ABC telecast)

Only two Demon listed players with AFL experience in the side. Key Zebra player David Gallagher is out with knee injury but could return next week.

SENIORS at 1.10pm

SANDRINGHAM

Backs Garland Biddlecombe Monaghan

Half backs C Liddell Lamb Paterakis

Centreline Valenti Summers Hughes

Half forwards Bizzell Crowe T Johnston

Forwards Neaves Sautner Gilchrist

Followers S Martin Poyas Martyn

Interchange (from) Dean Gribbin Hayes M Johnston Neville Weetra Williams Zarra

COBURG TIGERS

Backs Edwards Moore Hyde

Half backs Casserly Jackson Carnell

Centreline White Krakouer Oakley-Nicholls

Half forwards Connors Schulz P Bowden

Forwards F Caruso Hughes McGuane

Followers Ronaldson Neville Shelton

Interchange (from) N Caruso Corr Farrelly Hill Howat Morgan Mullins Rayson Riddle Simpson Trajkovski Vasilevski

RESERVES at 10.20am

SANDRINGHAM

Backs Gibb A Martin Hall

Half backs Collyer Gribbin Goold

Centreline Tregear Dean Williams

Half forwards Hayes McKenzie McGettigan

Forwards Dunne Curcio Weetra

Followers Ott Turcarelli Zarra

Interchange (from) Born Cleeve B Liddell Lyall Paule Roberts Yaman

it speaks volumes of our club atm, that the travelling emergencies are picked on home state and whos brother plays where doesnt it?

Just to make it clear, I did not suggest Warnock was picked as emergency because his brother plays for Fremantle. Rather that the family reunion is a consequence of Warnock apparently being the one selected to travel west with the team.

Just to make it clear, I did not suggest Warnock was picked as emergency because his brother plays for Fremantle. Rather that the family reunion is a consequence of Warnock apparently being the one selected to travel west with the team.

It should be very interesting to see how this Sandy made up of nearly all VFL players performs on saturday and how thw Zebras fit in the Melbourne players when they become avaiable throughout the VFL finals.

BTW the game is televised in CH 2 at 1.10 pm

it speaks volumes of our club atm, that the travelling emergencies are picked on home state and whose brother plays where doesn't it?

Sorry ... how do you know that's the club's position?

It's amazing when we're all depressed, when the club is going through a rough patch with injury, that anything a supporter expresses, no matter how wild a supposition, is taken as having some official truth and that it "reflects"on the club. Could it just be pure BS? Most likely.

sorry guys, it was meant more as a sarcastic comment than anything but i will put this out there:

when we played in adelaide against port a few weeks ago we didnt take any emergencies, and the following match, all our emergencies played for sandy prior to our game.

why then do we bother to send an emergency to perth this week? imo opinion we should always send 1, or 2 emergencies interstate. however im going with either there is a definite late withdrawal this week, or warnock gets the free trip home.

and why warnock over bizz? bizz has the better form, and has performed well for the dees? so unless there is a planned late withdrawal my bet is its a free ride home.

sorry guys, it was meant more as a sarcastic comment than anything but i will put this out there:

when we played in adelaide against port a few weeks ago we didnt take any emergencies, and the following match, all our emergencies played for sandy prior to our game.

why then do we bother to send an emergency to perth this week? imo opinion we should always send 1, or 2 emergencies interstate. however im going with either there is a definite late withdrawal this week, or warnock gets the free trip home.

and why warnock over bizz? bizz has the better form, and has performed well for the dees? so unless there is a planned late withdrawal my bet is its a free ride home.

Warnock is from the Sandy area, as is his brother. This is one of the reasons why some of us think we may be able to prise him away from Fremantle when he is out of contract which is this year, I believe. Our Warnock has been carrying an ankle injury recently and is rumoured to be not 100% fit, so I guess he is going for a free ride as insurance.

The naming of Hayes and Weetra in the reserves team leaves only five MFC players in the Sandy team; this has got to be some sort of record.

Warnock is from the Sandy area, as is his brother. This is one of the reasons why some of us think we may be able to prise him away from Fremantle when he is out of contract which is this year, I believe. Our Warnock has been carrying an ankle injury recently and is rumoured to be not 100% fit, so I guess he is going for a free ride as insurance.

The naming of Hayes and Weetra in the reserves team leaves only five MFC players in the Sandy team; this has got to be some sort of record.

the weird thing is, that looking at that current sandy team....they would be really competative if they played the selected MFC team to play freo this week. they lack abit of class...but i would be really interested to watch sandy vs Melb currently.

just shows how [censored] we're travelling atm with injuries

Note however that six of the eight players named on the bench for Sandy tomorrow have also been named in the reserves. That leaves room for at least two of those players to remain in the seniors and hopefully they will be Weetra and Hayes.

Incidentally, according to the Hobart Mercury Sandringham's opponent in next week's qualifying final Williamstown, will by contrast play 15 Collingwood-listed players (including Brodie Holland, Rhyce Shaw, Paul Licuria, Ryan Lonie and Sam Iles) in tomorrow's final round game against the Tassie Devils.

Don't tell anyone, but Bizzell is as good as gone already <_<

Warnock was promoted to the senior list last year, which I assume means he got a 2 year contract. So unless we trade him, he'll be around next year.

That's why Warnock is getting a game ahead of Bizzell. That, and we're clearly not playing to win.

Don't tell anyone, but Bizzell is as good as gone already <_<

Warnock was promoted to the senior list last year, which I assume means he got a 2 year contract. So unless we trade him, he'll be around next year.

That's why Warnock is getting a game ahead of Bizzell. That, and we're clearly not playing to win.

Don't know if the two year contract rule applies. It is required for National Draft selections but not for PSD so any confirmation as to rookie promotions... :huh:

Agree with the rest of it. Bizzell is a bit stiff IMO

The Herald Sun looks at the Zebras and how they have dealt with the Demons' growing injury list.

Zebras earn stripes

The article quotes coach Mark Williams -

"We might have only five Melbourne players this week and two will be rookies."

Sandy relies heavily on its core of experienced VFL players but it is the younger players who have surprised with their improvement.

"We have good processes in place, everyone knows what their job is," Williams said. "We get an even contribution across the board from all our players who enjoy playing together."

Williams said that while the side's depth has been stretched the newer players have responded well.

"We have relied on them pretty heavily all year. The young kids have had a really good grounding," he said.

Scores and best players? I missed the telecast.

The Zebras kicked themselves out of it with some poor shooting for goal but finished the season on top of the VFL ladder. There's still a fair bit of work to do before the team can emulate the past few seasons.

Sandringham 4.7.31 9.13.67 11.16.82 13.24.102

Coburg Tigers 4.4.28 8.6.54 13.11.89 18.13.121

Goals

Sandringham Martin Sautner 3 Martyn Valenti 2 Dean T Johnston Poyas

Coburg Tigers Bowden F Caruso 3 Connors Hyde Krakouer White 2 Howat Hughes Shelton Trajkovski

Best

Sandringham Paterakis Crowe Bizzell Gilchrist Martin Summers

Coburg Tigers Connors Caruso Ronaldson Shelton Hyde Bowden

Reserves

Sandringham 5.6.36 6.10.46 11.15.81 12.18.90

Coburg Tigers 5.1.31 10.2.62 17.7.109 23.15.153

Goals

Sandringham Curcio 4 Dunne 2 Henry McGettigan Tregear Williams Yaman Zarra

Coburg Tigers Corr Mullins 4 De Sousa Gazzo 3 Peterson Rayson 2 Carrick Dagher Foster Liddle Smith

Best

Sandringham Yaman McGettigan Williams Gribbin Turcarelli Cleeve

Coburg Tigers Carrick Vasilevski Corr Mullins Keogh Liddle

I watched the telecast today and I am amazed that Poyas was not named in the best. he was best on ground at quarter time with 12 disposals and was a good contributer for the rest of the game. On a positive note, Stefan Martin looked very impressive with a big grab and goal in the 1st quarter. But it was dissapointing that we kicked 13.24 :(

I know Weetra spent alot of time on the bench but i didnt see him get one touch the whole game. To me he looks a long way away from playing afl. The same goes for H.Neville as he didnt have any impact on the game but im afraid that Neville will be gone by the end of the year.

I watched the game, i was quite happy with the two melbourne rookies today in neaves and hughes. Thought they played very well.

However all the talk about guys like summers and valenti becomming rookies would proved a waste. As it showed yeserday that melbourne listed players have won sandy there last 4 flags. I say this because yesterday the main group of midfielders were liddel sommers and valenti, they couldn't go against afl listed players like cam howat and other who did what they pleased in the 2nd half. A pure class above these guys. They run alright when godfrey johnson wheatley etc are the main focus of the other teams.

Another worrying sign was how many sandy players are selfish. There is the obvious in sautner who plays for himself (this is the reason he has these records everyone keeps harping on about) but yesterday hughes led and led up the win yet guys like crowe and biddlecome would not take the first option rather look for there mate ezra who is often to slow on a lead. Then twice martyn (guy) had him twice open in the pocket but blazed over his head. Neaves also would drift into the pocket yet a couple of times the went to johnston who is tiny!

It willl make it interesting for when newton gets back, he is obvious choice for first full forward ahead of sautner but im afraid he will not cope being the second forward.

Also the whispers around the ground is now melbourne will b looking to part ways with sandy and opting to go back to the stand alone reserves. Bring back the old sub list. I heard his from sandy people, they didnt say there was any real bad blood there just that melbourne needed it to go further.

Seems to be a very biased, one-eyed Melbourne review. Sandy's midfield won the clearances and the Sandy players you mentioned (Summers, Valenti) have been the dominant midfielders in the competition. They ran out of legs a bit due to the rotations not working as was planned. I suggest you watch each week and then come to your conclusion.

PS. Howat was ordinary.

SANDRINGHAM hopefully might look something like this-

B Martyn Biddlecombe Frawley

Hb C Johnstone Miller Paterakis

C Poyas C Liddell Buckley

Hf Hughes Newton Crowe

F S Martin Sautner T Johnston

Followers Jamar Summers Valenti

Int (from)Neaves Monaghan Gilchrist M Johnston Williams Gribbin Dean