Place your bets people!!!

Geddy Lee

The coaching debate...  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: some of connoly's are plain silly. one of 5 reasons to get connoly is because he played for us, surely that is not in the list of the top 5 reasons why you'd want a coach. furthermore, he has a sense of humour, well danners had that. the membership numbers are impressive, but two finals campaigns in that period of time, and the numbers continued to rise, surely points to the passionate freo fans above the ability of their coach to win them over.

Happy with the process to select the coach

I personally would not mind Sheedy to coach the MFC.

My options

1. Sheedy

2. Bailey

3. Connolly

I think Connolly will be coach but none are my first choice. Hope Riley is kept on as assistant coach and Sheedy gets a gig as mentor/marketing.

Can anyone tell me why Hardwick wouldnt be a good choice, he has played in two premierships Essendon, Port Adelaide, and has therefore played and learnt under Sheedy and Williams. He was a very tough footballer so IMO has more runs on the board than Bailey who has a similar grounding without the performance on the field.

We know Sheedy can coach so its a question of Age.

That only leaves Connolly.

So you have a Young version Sheedy, Sheedy himself or a ex Demon.

Well I got the inside word that Riley will get the job. I receivced this info quite some time ago aswell ( the week we had the bye) I wont say who told me cos it wouldnt be fair. Horses mouths people. Herd it here first. This isnt to say i would of picked him as I always liked Mckenna

Well I got the inside word that Riley will get the job. I receivced this info quite some time ago aswell ( the week we had the bye) I wont say who told me cos it wouldnt be fair. Horses mouths people. Herd it here first. This isnt to say i would of picked him as I always liked Mckenna

with all due respect golly i dont believe your source. there is no reason why we would go through all of this process if riley had been given the nod 8 weeks ago...

with all due respect golly i dont believe your source. there is no reason why we would go through all of this process if riley had been given the nod 8 weeks ago...

...believe it, it's allready fact. He's coaching right now, but next year I think not.

If I were a bookmaker I think I would set the odds pretty even

Sheedy $1.35

Hardwick $1.60

Connolly $1.25

Riley $2.20

Bailey $1.85

As the odds suggest I have this sinking feeling in my gut that Chris Connolly is going to get the job. [censored] Human!

Exactly!

We haven't chosen anyone yet, and that's the truth.

At every stage there is a surprise loser and surprise winners. Who thought Bailey would make it to the last 5? Who thought McKenna/Bond wouldn't?

It's all still very much in progress.

wonder how Kev went today ?

I still think it is going to be Connolley, WHY OH WHY are they even considering him??

Given that 2008 is a milestone year for MFC and Aussie Rules, I find it hard to believe that a first time coach will get the gig unless they split the role. Not indication that is being considered. So would logically be out of Sheedy and Connolly (age vs more experience).

I am a little concerned that bailey and harwick in last 5 have little profile if any and Riley would as stand in coach have to be included to retain the alternative of leaving him in the role (ala Ratten and Harvey).

I am a little concerned that the MFC process is being played out so much in the media. All over the Footy show last night & lot of radio comments being made. I would rather the selection committee go behind closed doors until the proccess is finished.

Nathan Burke said on SEN this morning that they (selection committee)will complete the process next Wednesday but does not know how long will take after that. Presumably this is based on the remaining 4 candidates making their detailed presentations next tuesday.

Surely in fairness to Mark Riley and the players the process should continue until after Sunday week night (as we play blues in twilight game to end the season (thankfully!!). Real risk that result will get leaked before MFC and Bummers (if is sheedy) play their last games which would be unsettleing for all concerned.

Surely in fairness to Mark Riley and the players the process should continue until after Sunday week night (as we play blues in twilight game to end the season (thankfully!!). Real risk that result will get leaked before MFC and Bummers (if is sheedy) play their last games which would be unsettleing for all concerned.

..REAL RISK is that Riley would take revenge and coach a win !!! lol

This may be nothing but in Hird and Sheedy's press conference last night, it was asked how difficult it will be for Sheedy to not put on the Essendon colours any more. He said that it would be difficult (as you would expect) but such is life and you have to move on.

Hird then jumped in said something to the effect that he just had to change from black to blue <_<

Make of that what you will!!!

Well at their press conference on friday Hird was quick to promote Sheeds to be our coach so wouldn't surprise me that he would say something along those lines.

I was told by someone that the decision wont happen till after round 22.

steve harris said that it could be announced before round 22, unless the chosen coach is stilling coaching a team (ie sheedy) in which case it will be announced in the week following round 22.

this was done while we still had 12 candidates.

at this point it time, it would seem fine to announce the coach this week if is were conolley, Bailey, Riley or Hardwick. (Riley is our coach so announcing it this week would be fine. Bailey and Hardwick are assistant coaches so announcing it this week wouldnt really conflict with their afl teams)

following my logic, if the coach isnt announced this week, SHEEDY it is.

im still unsure about sheedy, but i reckon we'd be crazy to pass him up.

he is not a 10 year option, but in the time he's at our club, he could reinvent the culture and marketing of our club and begin a rebuilding process. Having a guy like him to seel our club is once in a life time, and much needed at the moment. everybody sees us as a basket case.

plus, if sheedy doesnt work, any time we look for a coach in the future there will be assistant coaches of Bailey and Hardwick's calibre. there are plenty of assistent coaches who could do a great job coaching at senior level. a sheedy doesnt come along to a team like MFC very often

Well at their press conference on friday Hird was quick to promote Sheeds to be our coach so wouldn't surprise me that he would say something along those lines.

He also did it fairly succinctly on the Footy Show......

Who knows maybe it is just jumping the gun ;) !!!