Surely we are not that stupid?!?!

Just a quick post to plead with the board of this great football club.....

Please don't even talk to Chris Connolly if we get rid of the Rev at the end of the season!!!!

I know he is an ex player and his side knocked us out last year, but for god's sake, we are trying to move forward!!!

The reason I bring this up is a rumour I heard at work that Chris wants the job.....

Give it to Mark Williams or Michael Voss before you even phone the ex Demon.......PLEASE!!!!

If I was one of those people who threatened to not renew their membership if things are not done to my liking, I would threaten that Chris Connolly at Melbourne means I won't be buying a membership.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to hold the club to financial ultimatums, but we're not in a position to get Connolly either.

I'd rather keep Daniher, if that's the option we have.

DUD! he is a DUD.

i cannot stress how much i despise this man...DUD!

Bit harsh IMO- considering he was a good player wearing the mighty Red and Blue

for what its worth i don't think he is the worst coach going round - but think when we have to make the decision, there will be better choices available

VVVVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Can you imagine any player not going full tilt with Voss as coach. As a recent player he would know who has the ticker and who has not.

Unfortunately its time for ND to move on and make way.

I'm not so sure on Voss becoming coach next year, if Daniher is to step down. I'd offer him an assistant coaching job no doubt. My concern is that he would be a bit wet behind the ears, too new to the coaching scene.

But hey, he couldn't do worse than what Daniher has done so far this year.

the way i see it is that voss will be a senior coach in the next two years...he may do an assistant appreticeship, but it WONT be with us...would you come to the dees if you could literally take any assistants job in the league-who wouldnt want him? i get the impression that if we want him as our coach in 2 years, then we have to take him now and accept that next year he will be learning and make mistakes...if you are realistic, melbourne isnt challenging for the flag next year anyway so we may as well go through some short-term pain if we think he will take us to apremiership in the medium term

the way i see it is that voss will be a senior coach in the next two years...he may do an assistant appreticeship, but it WONT be with us...would you come to the dees if you could literally take any assistants job in the league-who wouldnt want him? i get the impression that if we want him as our coach in 2 years, then we have to take him now and accept that next year he will be learning and make mistakes...if you are realistic, melbourne isnt challenging for the flag next year anyway so we may as well go through some short-term pain if we think he will take us to apremiership in the medium term

Agreed good point :)

Great point. I think if you take Vossy you sign him to a 5 year deal and be prepared for a couple of lean years or the odd bad loss as he learns his trade. However you can be confident that if he can mould half a dozen young players to be like him they could be enough to carry you to a premiership in 3-5 years time.

Right on... Chris Conolly is a step backwards

Would be a completely stupid thing to do.

Michael Voss for 08!

I agree 100% with grant thomas as his left hand man the two would go hand in hand .

both do it their way and dont care what anyone else thinks .

Voss as a senior coach? He has ZERO experience! He has just started learning the craft since March. THINK! people before you post.

Some of the brain-cell minimalists on this forum need to realise that Voss coaching would not produce 4-5 Voss's in a few years time. Player ability does not proclude coaching ability. Sign him as assistant - think Ratten-esque midfield coach. Let him learn his trade, do an apprenticeship and then, if he has potential, sign him. To do otherwise is reckless and potentially financially crippling if we make the wrong choice.

I have been swayed into believing that success moving forward means a fresh approach, both in players and in coach. Let us not lose sight of the fact that this is the SAME core group that has shown glimpses of being premiership grade material in previous years. It is also the same core group that goes missing in large chunks of the same season. The skills are there, the group collectively is sound with a few holes that can be traded or developed from draft, the main concern is between the ears.

I do not believe that Danners can get anymore out of them in that regard. I also believe that the club will not benefit by allowing the past behavior of unpunished bad performances by players to be allowed to continue. Even Gardner stated that he was sick of the Dees curling up into the foetal position and sucking on the Janet Jackson when the heat is on. My solution is:

For coach, look at - Mark Harvey, John Longmire (my choice), Gary O'Donnell - for me I'd even back a smokey in Kevin Sheedy doing a direct swap for Daniher at years end or Pagan to finally give up on Blues

For serious review to trade/delist/retire - Jamar, Johnstone, Pickett, Holland, Yze, Brown, Ferguson

PS. Keep Miller so we keep the Miller Good/Bad thread numbers going. We'll catch up with the 'Player formally named as W' threads

Guest redandbluethruandthru

Dont forget that Voss, as captain of the lions, would have learnt alot from Leigh Mathews (albeit not officially as an assistant coach) but he would know inside out the training techniques, gameplans etc that Mathews uses. Dont forget the Lions 3-peat. A bloke as intelligent as Vossy seems to be and as canny as he definately is surely took every opportunity to suck in as much knowledge as possible. He knew he wouldnt play forever and would have had his eyes on being a senior coach long before retirement. Give him a crack - 2 year contract 1 to settle in 1 to have a real crack after he has had his "apprentiship". if he shows promise extend it if not byebye. We can afford to do this right now as we have an abundance of young talent coming through who will need a year or two to become more experienced.

It all leads back to the Tim Watson experience. He also had a good upbringing under Sheedy & played in GF's. Fat lot a good it did him. He had absolutely no idea how to coach &/or manage players.

You could at least give him a go if for only 2 years.

Will danners or anyone else give us a flag in 2 years and by then he will be right into it and remember we have been waiting since 64

If I was one of those people who threatened to not renew their membership if things are not done to my liking, I would threaten that Chris Connolly at Melbourne means I won't be buying a membership.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to hold the club to financial ultimatums, but we're not in a position to get Connolly either.

I'd rather keep Daniher, if that's the option we have.

Jaded, I couldnt agree more