MFC 2024 BEST & FAIREST NIGHT

Just now, sue said:

Yes it is a fact that we finised 14th and we must accept that, but the point I was making that focussing negatively on the number 14 may not be reflective of the actual situation.  Feel free to feel as miserable as you like about things. Each to their own. 

I am not being miserable. I expect a lot better next year 

2024 was garbage 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, layzie said:

God we are going to miss you ANB

A wonderful person in all ways. Adelaide have gained a great footballer full of passion and guts. All the best Alex and I don't think any true Melbourne supporter would ever even think of booing you on the field. Thanks for all you did for the MFC.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Clap 4

25 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s got nothing to do with being negative. It’s a fact, and we shouldn’t accept it 

I accept the fact we have a few on here, including your fine self, who do nothing but whinge and whine, never anything constructive.

Maybe you need to go and 'support' another Club.

I was at the B&F and understood what each speech set out to achieve .

It's footy, each year each club gets a crack at winning a premiership, but it takes a bit of luck, hard work and everybody on the same page, unfortunately this year we had a couple of books open instead,

• Like 11
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Fritta and Turner said:

In those days they had a policy of sharing it around otherwise Robbie would have won 10.

Nah, Laurie Fowler won 3 (75, 79-80) and a couple of other multiples - Wells and Alves.  Flower was second in 79, 80, 82 and 83. Missed games in all but 1980, which was one of only 2 full seasons he played, the other being 1978. It's just a flawed system. Geelong had a system whereby the four lowest polling rounds were excluded for all players.  That seems a pretty fair way to do it.  Allows for games missed through injury to not unduly influence the result.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

I apologise if I’ve touched a nerve. It is your choice to support mediocrity.

I will continue to demand higher standards.

Maybe here's your opportunity to get down to the club Demon Disciple. Demand these higher standards in person rather than ad nauseum here. And whilst your at it, provide them with a print out of your long list of criticisms. It'll go down a treat. Even if it doesn't, just persevere. Hanging around the players parking area might work. Or invade the stage at the next B & F. 

No need to apologize. Just let us know how you go. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s got nothing to do with being negative. It’s a fact, and we shouldn’t accept it 

Who is accepting it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Tonight at 10.30......That's Clayton by the way

angry star trek GIF

Not even mildly amusing. It is the kind of post I would expect from an OPPOSITION supporter jealous of the fact that they don't have a player of his calibre in their ranks. Very poor taste mate. Not helpful for Clarry too if he read that. Same comment to the poster who depicted Clarry in a straight jacket. Very demeaning and thoughtless.

Edited by Bobby McKenzie
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Not even mildly amusing. It is the kind of post I would expect from an OPPOSITION supporter jealous of the fact that they don't have a player of his calibre in their ranks. Very poor taste mate. Not helpful for Clarry too if he read that. Same comment to the poster who depicted Clarry in a straight jacket. Very demeaning.

No it's definitely funny, I've double checked that. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

No it's definitely funny, I've double checked that. 

Double checked with you and a couple of mates? You need a bigger sample of opinions. Please don't deny your post is demeaning and unfair to Clarry.

8 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Double checked with you and a couple of mates? You need a bigger sample of opinions. Please don't deny your post is demeaning and unfair to Clarry.

Let's just disagree on where humour and offence begin and end. It's a different line for all of us. I actually think Clarry would laugh at that but hey maybe he wouldn't??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Let's just disagree on where humour and offence begin and end. It's a different line for all of us. I actually think Clarry would laugh at that but hey maybe he wouldn't??

Exactly. As I said before funny to an opposition supporter but not a Melbourne one putting down our champion player. Let's leave it at that mate. Cheers.

• Like 2

Ok... got back home at 2am. Found it slightly weird the Bluey Truscott himself, just got awarded his life membership in 2024.

Overall, it was an interesting night. Although Goodwin (whom I rate) spoke a lot about 'process' I felt (projecting) that there were some very pointed comments re: selflessness or at least, not making it about your self, and that won't be 'tolerated' going forward. Whom that was to, you can have your guess.

The overall messaging was about unity and fraternity, both in professional speak, and 'mateship' speak ie: 'Perty, Greeny' etc. Glad Roffey got to speak and her endeavors acknowledged.

This was my first Bluey, and I have been to a range of other BnF's in a professional capacity over the last decade.

Themes spoken about felt fairly generic, and for me the highlights were Ben Brown, Alex Neal-Bullen and Ed Langdon AND Angus Brayshaw, all guys who speak with emotional gravitas, and go beyond cliched sound bites. Richness and depth, about the existentialness of their careers.

Effectively, your legacy, is the people you help support along the way, not just those that support you in your own journey.* Everyone at the club (organisation) from FD, to board to bootstuder and physio and high performance team are people with their own careers trying to do their best on any given day at any given moment.

*Spoke to a former coach today over coffee this morning, who was quite clear that the general public/punters will never understand or accept, the realities of the scrutiny that the position holds and in effect, when you take the job, there are very few people on the outside who appreciate the isolation and loneliness that the job has with it, as everyone has an opinion on things that you can control, and things that they think you can control. You're on a hiding to nothing...but people would give their left nut... etc etc

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 6

Congratulations to Jack Viney picking up his second Bluey Truscott Medal last night, equaling his dad Todd. Jack is a true heart and soul player for us Demons. To be honest I thought Jack and Max would go 1,2 but thought it would the other way round they both had to dig so much deeper in ‘24 with no Gus, Tracca down and out and Clayton at 80%.
Congrats also to Alex Neal-Bullen, Kysaiah Picket and our Running Man Ed Langdon who just edged out Trent Rivers well done boys.❤️💙👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

I accept the fact we have a few on here, including your fine self, who do nothing but whinge and whine, never anything constructive.

Maybe you need to go and 'support' another Club.

I accept that we have a few supporters on here including urself who don’t think the club does anything wrong.

Maybe u need to let supporters support the club how they want including @Sir Why You Little instead of looking through those rose coloured glasses u seem to look through. 

Everyone supports the club in their own way including u. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 11
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

I accept that we have a few supporters on here including urself who don’t think the club does anything wrong.

Maybe u need to let supporters support the club how they want including @Sir Why You Little instead of looking through those rose coloured glasses u seem to look through. 

It's a funny word, "support" - apparently it can mean undermine, criticise, backstab, disrespect....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

It's a funny word, "support" - apparently it can mean undermine, criticise, backstab, disrespect....

It means a lot of things to different supporters. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Ollie fan said:

That was my point. Of course, to some supporters, it means "support". Clearly, you're not one of them.

Yeah clearly Ollie. U know me so well. Good talk champ. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

I just don't whinge incessantly without backing it up. SWYL usual input to any topic  is 1 or two lines of whiny negativity.

It's tiresome.

Was I happy with how the year went, definitely not.

Did I discuss it face to face with some in the Club at the B&F last night, sure did, never one to hide behind a nickname on a forum.

Do I want to see improvement this year, hopefully yes.

Do I believe the [censored] pushed by journalists and pundits, definitely not.

Do I think some of the young kids at the club are going to lead the way, after speaking to some last night, definitely.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Ok... got back home at 2am. Found it slightly weird the Bluey Truscott himself, just got awarded his life membership in 2024.

Overall, it was an interesting night. Although Goodwin (whom I rate) spoke a lot about 'process' I felt (projecting) that there were some very pointed comments re: selflessness or at least, not making it about your self, and that won't be 'tolerated' going forward. Whom that was to, you can have your guess.

The overall messaging was about unity and fraternity, both in professional speak, and 'mateship' speak ie: 'Perty, Greeny' etc. Glad Roffey got to speak and her endeavors acknowledged.

This was my first Bluey, and I have been to a range of other BnF's in a professional capacity over the last decade.

Themes spoken about felt fairly generic, and for me the highlights were Ben Brown, Alex Neal-Bullen and Ed Langdon AND Angus Brayshaw, all guys who speak with emotional gravitas, and go beyond cliched sound bites. Richness and depth, about the existentialness of their careers.

Effectively, your legacy, is the people you help support along the way, not just those that support you in your own journey.* Everyone at the club (organisation) from FD, to board to bootstuder and physio and high performance team are people with their own careers trying to do their best on any given day at any given moment.

*Spoke to a former coach today over coffee this morning, who was quite clear that the general public/punters will never understand or accept, the realities of the scrutiny that the position holds and in effect, when you take the job, there are very few people on the outside who appreciate the isolation and loneliness that the job has with it, as everyone has an opinion on things that you can control, and things that they think you can control. You're on a hiding to nothing...but people would give their left nut... etc etc

I wasn't there but totally agree. I thought Goodwin's speech was spot on, particularly the pointed comments. I saw the amusing irony when a couple of the players followed him with - I'm here to win a flag!

I might add, it's a bloody hard sell asking players to 'fall in love with the process.' I get what he means and believe in his message but it sounds a bit like asking you to fall in love with bookkeeping or admin (with apologies to the fine bookkeepers and administrators on this site). Maybe there's a better word for it?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Engorged, I just streamed it. I think I know the answer, but is Ben Brown as impressive a human as I think he is? He just seems to come across as, well, cool. His talk about hoping he can be allowed to stay in the AFLW space was one thing that I noted as reflecting of who he is.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I just don't whinge incessantly without backing it up. SWYL usual input to any topic  is 1 or two lines of whiny negativity.

It's tiresome.

Was I happy with how the year went, definitely not.

Did I discuss it face to face with some in the Club at the B&F last night, sure did, never one to hide behind a nickname on a forum.

Do I want to see improvement this year, hopefully yes.

Do I believe the [censored] pushed by journalists and pundits, definitely not.

Do I think some of the young kids at the club are going to lead the way, after speaking to some last night, definitely.

The majority of your posts are complaining about what posters post on here

Contributing very little

Whinging quite a lot

Can you not see the irony?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 3

40 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

His talk about hoping he can be allowed to stay in the AFLW space was one thing that I noted as reflecting of who he is.

That was the bit that made me think maybe the all the talk about is terrible culture is BS,  as Ben Brown doesn't strike me as the sort of guy would want to stay if he thought our culture sucked.

• Like 6
  • Love 1