Welcome to Demonland: Pick #5

Drafting in the first 10 is always a gamble. Even the best resorted picks can be failures. We have good results in the past. I will go with the Dees team so far no big failures. Go with the best mid available.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

I think we will be left with choosing between Lalor, Smillie or Armstrong. As skilled as he might be I think Reid will be a slider and be picked in the teens. If Bo Allan wasn't from WA I could see him bolting even further with one ours, Saints to Essendon's pick. 

Richmond - Jagga

North - Langford

West Coast - O'Sullivan

Adelaide - Draper

Melbourne - Lalor

Edited by Young Blood
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Tauru anyone ? Could be top 5

Love Tauru and wouldn’t necessarily be disappointed if we took him, but if one of Lalor or O’Sullivan were on the board I’d find it very hard to overlook one of them.

That said, would not surprise if North took him at 2. They want to split the pick, but reckon they wouldn’t want to slide down too far.

I can see them looking at a split with Essendon, but that seems to low for Tauru now. Maybe Richmond or Saints?

1 minute ago, ChaserJ said:

Love Tauru and wouldn’t necessarily be disappointed if we took him, but if one of Lalor or O’Sullivan were on the board I’d find it very hard to overlook one of them.

That said, would not surprise if North took him at 2. They want to split the pick, but reckon they wouldn’t want to slide down too far.

I can see them looking at a split with Essendon, but that seems to low for Tauru now. Maybe Richmond or Saints?

Richmond are going to have a stack of picks. I wonder if there is appeal from the Tiges to get pick 2 from North for 6 and 10?

Tigers take the first two kids and will still potentially have a couple of late first round picks as well.

North get Armstrong and Tauru.

I'm not sure I'd do that if I was Richmond though.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nascent said:

4d chess time. We threaten to pick kako, then offer essendon our f1 with 40 and 53 (to help them match a bid) for pick 9.

Alternatively, we trade 5 and 45 for 9, 31 and f1.

Trade one of our f1st for freos pick 11.

End up with 9, 11, f1 (ours or bombers) and 28, 31 and 40 to try and upgrade further.

Yes I'm day 1 trade period bored.

2h ago

12:39

A BID for Essendon Academy product Isaac Kako is expected to be "right on the cusp" of the Bombers' pick No.9 in this year's draft, according to AFL.com.au's Cal Twomey.

The Bombers have first access to small forward Kako in November's Telstra AFL Draft because he is part of the club's Next Generation Academy. Rival clubs can place a bid on Kako at any time on draft night and the Bombers would then have to give up its next pick as part of its effort to match the bid and bring the young forward to the club.

Twomey believes a bid for Kako could come before the Bombers' first pick, with St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond all interested. That would mean the Bombers would lose their pick 9 when they match the bid.

Instead, Twomey says the Bombers may look to do a deal to get ahead of a bid, which would net them a player at the top end of the draft as well as Kako.

"I think it's precarious for the Bombers," he said on Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday.

"They're at nine, he's had strong interest from St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond, the clubs that will likely hold picks five, six, seven, eight before the Bombers enter the draft.

"I've said this a few times, I stand by it, I'm all for Essendon using a pick to get up ahead of it, even if it means using a future first-round pick to get in really early in the draft.

"Would you offer up nine and a future one to get up to three for West Coast? Would nine be too far back for the Eagles to push? What you do there though, next year when you're without a pick, you've got two first-rounders to buy back in and that gives you some flex.

"Isaac Kako, it's going to be right on the cusp, right on that mark. If it's not before then, it's going to be just afterwards so that leaves you in a dangerous spot and the extra pick coming last week as part of the compensation for Josh Battle wasn't a great result for them." - Dejan Kalinic

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Even Essendon have an academy pick?

[censored] off!

Not just one! They have Jayden Nguyen too who I think is very draftable late 

18 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Tauru anyone ? Could be top 5

I live in Sydney, work long hours and have less exposure / knowledge on the draft than anyone. I just watched some of his highlights last night, I’d take him pick 5 in a heartbeat. I’ve watched some of the highlights of the fancied top midfielders that may be available at our pick and don’t share the love. If it was between Tauru and the second coming of Harley Reid yes I get it, but mids are available every year. We could potentially still grab a decent mid if we’re able to grab another pick inside the first rd.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I live in Sydney, work long hours and have less exposure / knowledge on the draft than anyone. I just watched some of his highlights last night, I’d take him pick 5 in a heartbeat. I’ve watched some of the highlights of the fancied top midfielders that may be available at our pick and don’t share the love. If it was between Tauru and the second coming of Harley Reid yes I get it, but mids are available every year. We could potentially still grab a decent mid if we’re able to grab another pick inside the first rd.

I flagged him as an interesting option a few weeks back and agree he looks the goods 

At that stage I thought he was a sneaky chance to drop in the late teens or early twenties but he is definitely firming as a likely inside top 10 pick 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Tauru looks awesome for sure. Strong hands and lovely kicking action. Probably why we are doing everything to get another top 10 pick, our midfield depth is in dire straits currently and is certainly the top priority at Pick 5 I suspect.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nascent said:

2h ago

12:39

A BID for Essendon Academy product Isaac Kako is expected to be "right on the cusp" of the Bombers' pick No.9 in this year's draft, according to AFL.com.au's Cal Twomey.

The Bombers have first access to small forward Kako in November's Telstra AFL Draft because he is part of the club's Next Generation Academy. Rival clubs can place a bid on Kako at any time on draft night and the Bombers would then have to give up its next pick as part of its effort to match the bid and bring the young forward to the club.

Twomey believes a bid for Kako could come before the Bombers' first pick, with St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond all interested. That would mean the Bombers would lose their pick 9 when they match the bid.

Instead, Twomey says the Bombers may look to do a deal to get ahead of a bid, which would net them a player at the top end of the draft as well as Kako.

"I think it's precarious for the Bombers," he said on Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday.

"They're at nine, he's had strong interest from St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond, the clubs that will likely hold picks five, six, seven, eight before the Bombers enter the draft.

"I've said this a few times, I stand by it, I'm all for Essendon using a pick to get up ahead of it, even if it means using a future first-round pick to get in really early in the draft.

"Would you offer up nine and a future one to get up to three for West Coast? Would nine be too far back for the Eagles to push? What you do there though, next year when you're without a pick, you've got two first-rounders to buy back in and that gives you some flex.

"Isaac Kako, it's going to be right on the cusp, right on that mark. If it's not before then, it's going to be just afterwards so that leaves you in a dangerous spot and the extra pick coming last week as part of the compensation for Josh Battle wasn't a great result for them." - Dejan Kalinic

So hypothetically if something like this went ahead, we could slide back to Essendon's pick (5 to 9) and also gain their future 1st (would need other pick swaps you'd think).  Then we use our or essendon's future first to try for another first rounder (eg freo / richmond or gold coast).  That could mean we could end up with two first rounders this year and still have a first rounder next year (and still be in the running to get Brisbane's pick 20).  I.e 3 picks in the top 20 (and still have next year's first).

What I don't know is how much more value is pick 5 over pick 9 in this years draft.  I know it is meant to be high quality and deep but depending on who you speak to, the top 5 or so are still a cut above.

On 07/10/2024 at 18:55, Young Blood said:

I think we will be left with choosing between Lalor, Smillie or Armstrong. As skilled as he might be I think Reid will be a slider and be picked in the teens. If Bo Allan wasn't from WA I could see him bolting even further with one ours, Saints to Essendon's pick. 

Richmond - Jagga

North - Langford

West Coast - O'Sullivan

Adelaide - Draper

Melbourne - Lalor

I agree @Young Blood  this is the consistently named likely top 5 (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard of course).  Dees pick “5” is well positioned to grab one.  They are all evenly ranked in my view between 1-5 so having pick 1,2,3,4 or 5 is evened up in my view.  Dees happy with any of them but Lalor would be a certainty imv if available at our pick.  

1. Lalor, Langford, Smith (rich)

2. Tauru (North)

3. O'Sullivan (Carl)

4. Draper (Adel)

5. Lalor, Langford, Smith (Melb)

Trying to see how the top 5 might play out. Think we'll be happy with any of the above but would much prefer Lalor to slide to us. North still a big watch on pick 2 and if they pull the trigger for a tall early or split the pick with another team (or take yet another mid)

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

@Nascent agree … presumably Tigers take Lalor at 1, then think Dees will choose Langford at “5” (or vice versa)

Tigers could then also get Smith at “6”.  

Might see Kangas try to split 2 to get say 6 & 14 off the Tigers.  Tigers could then guarantee themselves Lalor & Smith and a huge PR exercise with picks 1,2 draft combination.  Kangas could get Tauru at 6 and get another player like Shanahan at 14.  Fixes their key back and key forward outlook in one swoop.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
O
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I reckon we'll have strong consideration for Smillie with this pick.

I'd be fine with Smillie at 9 if we're happy with him, but I'd hope we go with Smith, Lalor or Langford if one slips to us at 5.

I hope we're thinking two mids and not a mid and a tall.

That said, Tauru plays a little like Heeney to me, so could be a hybrid.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

I'd be fine with Smillie at 9 if we're happy with him, but I'd hope we go with Smith, Lalor or Langford if one slips to us at 5.

I keep toying with the idea of reaching for Lindsay at 9 but is it just that, a reach?

In terms of field kicking I just love the way this guy kicks the footy, nice trajectory and puts it only where his target can get it. If we were really keen at one stage on Houston, could this guy not be similar and ready made? I don't know but I'm definitely thinking two mids as well. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, layzie said:

I keep toying with the idea of reaching for Lindsay at 9 but is it just that, a reach?

In terms of field kicking I just love the way this guy kicks the footy. If we were really keen at one stage on Houston, could this guy not be similar and ready made? I don't know but I'm definitely thinking two mids as well. 

Lindsay seems a prototype Jack Billings to me and we've already got one of him.

Still, JT we trust.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I reckon we'll have strong consideration for Smillie with this pick.

It will be interesting.  Smillie is now the wildcard pick given he’s slipped down most of the media predictions for top 5.  Was certainly equal 1st with Jagga Smith as the start of the year.  As I put in another thread, he’s defensive side got exposed at the championships and he didn’t show his true capabilities.   But he has very good skills, wins contested footy, kicks goals, kicks it 50-60 easily and has that 5-10 metre burst needed in the midfield. He could be an absolute elite player.  At 194cms, he’s a “Cripps” like type of player.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam The God said:

I agree that Tarau looks a bit like a tall Heeney - at first I thought it was just the hair but he certainly does have some similar characteristics - he is so mobile I see no reason why he couldn’t ultimately play multiple positions including midfield. He is also not worried about a bit of physicality which is great. 

Really hoping we can grab him with either pick  

• Like 5