Christian Petracca

40 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

This is simply more mistruth and misleading commentary.

You said: "Last night that Morris scumbag posted a tweet along the lines of "Petracca will not be at the B&F"

This is a misrepresentation of what was actually said.

Morris actually said: "Christian Petracca won’t be at the @melbournefc best and fairest. He’s going to a Red Bull training camp in Austria instead. The club is fully supportive of this."

There is no gatekeeping there. He has reported all the relevant facts. There were no "key elements" left out, and the simplicity of the reporting indicates no intended agenda.

You then said: "And when several Melbourne supporters pulled him up on the video the club put out as to why, and stating he should be posting on the positive, he doubled down on his dickheadedness, putting in laughin emojis etc."

This is on another level to misrepresentation, it's a complete mistruth.

A Twitter User Posted: (Paraphrasing): "He’s been doing it for the last 3 years after the B&F with Trav Boak. He will be at the B&F"

Morris replied: "No he won't (laughing emoji)"

I put that entire exchange as direct links to the source in my initial reply to you, so it's all there as factually correct data.

I actually understand the want to be a feisty supporter base, support our players, even react angrily to the media, but completely making things up, and also the "I truly hate him" comment, do not do your purposes any favours at all.

That you the post complete mistruths and personal attacks and then accuse others of "gatekeeping" and "agenda setting function theory" is completely baffling.

Let's be a feisty supporter base by all means, but let's not be dishonest.

It absolutely is gatekeeping while he selected elements of the story to deliberately paint it as a negative (starting it off with saying he won't be at the best and fairest) and deliberately omitting Trac's reasonings for it which he clearly pointed out in the video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

It absolutely is gatekeeping while he selected elements of the story to deliberately paint it as a negative (starting it off with saying he won't be at the best and fairest) and deliberately omitting Trac's reasonings for it which he clearly pointed out in the video.

He didn't omit the reasonings at all though. He clearly stated he was missing it to attend the Red Bull camp and the club was fully supportive.

• Like 1

Just now, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Yet you still can't pinpoint how a video explaining agenda setting function theory is a personal attack on you....

Look, I'm not very interested in an ongoing battle on the internet, but I think we both know with what tone your "I'm sure my VCE Media students could explain it to you" was intended.

I'll leave it at that as we're starting to go around in circles now.

23 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Do you have any evidence Tracc fed the story to Morris.  The only public statement Morris made about sources was that the “Brand Petracca” source was fed to him by people at Melbourne and not Tracc.

I'm assuming it was, but no I have no evidence tracc (directly, or more likely via a surrogate) fed the story to Morris.

Supposition on my part.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

I'm assuming it was, but no I have no evidence tracc (directly, or more likely via a surrogate) fed the story to Morris.

Supposition on my part.

So you are still convinced Tracc or a surrogate leaked the story.  I'm convinced it came from Morris's source inside Melbourne, the same source that fed him the "Brand Petracca" stuff.  My view is it's likely Tracc confidentially spoke to people inside Melbourne about his frustrations saying he would leave if not contracted, and this was leaked to Morris by his source inside Melbourne.  In those circumstances the situation would definitely blow up like it did.

But we will probably never know until Tracc writes a book after his career is over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Here, let me help you out.  I'm sure my VCE Media students could explain it to you. 

Great call, the agenda was set a long time ago to absolute nail the dees at every oppurtunity. Now they can easily spin any story into a hit piece. 

Morris may report facts, but what is selected, omitted and when things are timed are apart of the media sphere hunting us. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Great call, the agenda was set a long time ago to absolute nail the dees at every oppurtunity. Now they can easily spin any story into a hit piece. 

Morris may report facts, but what is selected, omitted and when things are timed are apart of the media sphere hunting us. 

Exactly the point I'm making, I'm glad someone gets what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Look, I'm not very interested in an ongoing battle on the internet, but I think we both know with what tone your "I'm sure my VCE Media students could explain it to you" was intended.

I'll leave it at that as we're starting to go around in circles now.

And I stand by that, I'm sure they could.  They have a good grasp of the communication theories.

36 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

He didn't omit the reasonings at all though. He clearly stated he was missing it to attend the Red Bull camp and the club was fully supportive.

And you don't think the intent he was making was painted in a negative light?  If you don't then that's pretty naive of you.

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

Glass half full - Christian is going to be working his butt of this pre-season to return to full fitness.

Glass half empty - he’s doing it to seduce his 2026 team which won’t be us

Glass half full - i don't really know what is going on

Glass half empty - i don't really know what is going on

• Haha 1
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

if noble was a non-event then there's no way that he'd be getting a 4-5 year deal at gc17 and the filth would be demanding pick 12 for him as an opening gambit

speedy half-backs who can hit targets = the new inside bulls; every team wants two of em

Non event in the terms of the conversation being had. I really like Noble as a player. I think Gold Coast are getting a good one.

My argument was based on Binman using it as an example for his opinion. I questioned it and he kindly repsonded to clarified his thoughts. Which I want to point out how much I appreciated. I enjoy discussing opinions in a reasonable manner. I often post things that people don't agree with. My first reaction is usually to get annoyed that my message hasn't been received as intended. Most of the time I can't be bothered replying to clarify as it often just turns into a [censored] fight depending on the poster.

Noble is a solid player. He isn't the pies best player or on a huge salary like Petracca is which is what context I was comparing it to when saying 'non event'

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

From the Shun (no; it's in my local coffee shop)

20240920_112836.jpg

Conversation in the sports editors office at the Hun:

"Hmmm, how else can we get leverage out of this?"

"I know!  Why don't we ask the opinion of a past captain of a rival club who has never had anything to do with Petracca or Melbourne Football Club, and could really have no possible idea of what's going on there?"

"Brilliant idea!"

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

"I know!  Why don't we ask the opinion of a past captain of a rival club who has never had anything to do with Petracca or Melbourne Football Club, and could really have no possible idea of what's going on there?"

"Brilliant idea!"

There seem to be a number of regular posters which are frustrated by the current state of mainstream AFL media.

I made a decision to limit how much time I read or listen to it at the end of last year and it has made me appreciate football much more this year.

I avoid anything with Kane Cornes, Damian Barrett or Sam McClure. It's damn hard to avoid as whatever these guys drone on about ends up feeding the wider AFL supporter base and the conversations being had amongst fans.

There is a growing number of podcasts and alternative media which is starting to emerge though as there are plenty of others out there seeking something other than 4 white guys talking about how great the winning teams are and how bad the losing teams are each week.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

So you are still convinced Tracc or a surrogate leaked the story.  I'm convinced it came from Morris's source inside Melbourne, the same source that fed him the "Brand Petracca" stuff.  My view is it's likely Tracc confidentially spoke to people inside Melbourne about his frustrations saying he would leave if not contracted, and this was leaked to Morris by his source inside Melbourne.  In those circumstances the situation would definitely blow up like it did.

But we will probably never know until Tracc writes a book after his career is over.

Yep, 100% convinced.

But whether it came from tracc, or from another MFC employee my point remains the same - whilst that narrative may have some veracity, in sorting the wheat from the chaff,  people would do well to also consider the agreed facts, such as those that i noted, rather than just swallowing the Morris narrative whole.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Yet you still can't pinpoint how a video explaining agenda setting function theory is a personal attack on you....

I agree Katrina the Press have an Agenda against MFC, they have been hammering away at us all year, it’s like an inside ploy to spin a negative slur or attack on any bit of news that can detract from our club and blow it out of all proportion. To be honest the Clubs response of not commenting has worked to our detriment. There are several clubs out there very happy seeing us take the heat away from them, or is that part of the ploy. The word Culture appears to Trigger a lot of people in the Press in a negative manner.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

On 19/09/2024 at 08:56, FreedFromDesire said:

Fantastic news that his recovery is tracking so well and he will be able enough to attend the training camp to give his fitness a much needed turbo charge. I hope more of our players are doing such camps, or other similar things, as fitness was a massive issue for us this year and we would be wasting the extra time we've been given by missing finals otherwise.

Would also seem not beyond the realms to think it's probably a good thing he misses in the Bluey in terms of his mental recovery. I'm sure it would be stressful knowing he would be copping hours and hours of reliving the experience and being given a hard time by nosy supporters. The sentiment in this thread tells a story there in what he could expect.

The claims that he's putting himself before the club are frankly bizarre. He's not going on a holiday. He's going to work hard on his fitness so he can get back to being the best player he can be for the Melbourne Football Club.

I say all this as someone who, while seeing both sides, has been disappointed for the most part in how Christian and his camp have handled this whole fiasco.

Well summed up FF D.

Cant help feeling that there is some sentiment from his close family that are still blaming the Club for most of the unusual event's which were outside our Control. 

People  like Caroline Wilson are still trying to milk th last drop out of this saga. The AFLPA seems to be quiet as they no doubt will dig deep to embarrass the AFL or us. 

grest to see Trac who spoke well and outwardly seems to be moving on. Of course he wouldn’t be human if he still had thoughts and even mare or two after such a horrendous chain of events. 

Enjoy your Camp CP5 and get as fit as you can to lead our assault next season for our 14 th Flag. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

What is with people who think the media just attacks us? 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

A few glasses of cement need to be had by our club, players and by the sounds of it, supporters too! If you don't like the media rubbish, don't read it, and certainly don't take it to heart!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

"Brilliant idea!"

You've caused me to re-read the article, Katrina, thank you.

When I posted it, I'd thought it supportive of Club and player. But I do now see its opportunism and possible/probable misrepresentation, particularly in the action and motive ascribed to the Club. (I don't have any problem as such, though, with using Davis or his actual(?) words.)

I regret my post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

You've caused me to re-read the article, Katrina, thank you.

When I posted it, I'd thought it supportive of Club and player. But I do now see its opportunism and possible/probable misrepresentation, particularly in the action and motive ascribed to the Club. (I don't have any problem as such, though, with using Davis or his actual(?) words.)

I regret my post.

No need to regret your post, it just fuels my utter contempt for the media :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1