POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide

39 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Or maybe they just had poor games? They both trained fine all week by all reports.

Every loss we always seem to want to invent excuses. 

Chris Scott said the exact same thing after the preliminary final back in 2021 and he got absolutely smashed by our very own supporters on here.

Goodwin says the exact same thing and some are happy to give him a pass.

To be honest I thought there should have been others that should have been subbed out instead of JVR. 

Mate he got asked a question and gave an answer. Did not make one excuse about it, whereas Scott said he didn’t think the game should go ahead, totally different responses.

JVR didn’t have an impact on the game and we switched a forward for a forward. He’s a young key position player who is still learning. The only other than we could’ve subbed is Fritsch, but splitting hairs.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

38 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It’s not an excuse anyway. If they were sick why did we play them?

JVR was one of a handful of sub options. I’d have preferred Hore but presumably Melksham as sub forced us to look at a forward. 

I had Turner, Oliver, Fritsch and Kolt as my preferred options.

I know Turner started well but he faded incredibly bad in the 2nd half. He needs a big off season to improve his fitness because I think we see glimpse of what he was able to produce in the first half with some of his contested marking but when we needed someone to stand up in the last quarter to take a mark or two he was invincible. 

Like all young players these are good experiences for them to take into the pre season and really work hard on the deficiencies. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

We will already be doing that with Schache, Brayshaw, Hunter, Brown, Tomlinson, Smith and maybe TMac… you don’t want to turn over much more than that in one year!

Now I aint no expert on turning over a list but I look at Hawthorn who won multiple flags getting in Franklin and co. all around the same time.
Now they've aggressively turned over that list not being afraid to send their champs to other clubs and again have a bunch of kids coming through together looking very promising.

At the game last night Clarry in know way was sick just pure uninterested and lazy..One player not saying who gave him a fair bake in the second quarter.Goodwin has to stop playing favourites or he will lose some of the players..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Now I aint no expert on turning over a list but I look at Hawthorn who won multiple flags getting in Franklin and co. all around the same time.
Now they've aggressively turned over that list not being afraid to send their champs to other clubs and again have a bunch of kids coming through together looking very promising.

They purposely finished bottom of the ladder multiple years. You want to go back to the very bottom of the ladder again? We are doing a mini-rebuild on the run and will have a top 10 pick this year, assuming we don’t give it up for Houston which I pray we don’t. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

They purposely finished bottom of the ladder multiple years. You want to go back to the very bottom of the ladder again? We are doing a mini-rebuild on the run and will have a top 10 pick this year, assuming we don’t give it up for Houston which I pray we don’t. 

Where's the evidence to suggest they 'purposely' finished down the the ladder during those years?

46 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

Either way, it's embarrassing. 

Some of his around the corner scrap kicks are just unbelievable. That one that resulted in the Butters goal. Unforgivable. That's nothing to do with conditioning. That is completely between the eyes, just no care taken. 

And as for some of his tackling efforts, compare them to an exhausted Jack Viney or even ANB.. It's honestly alarming. Clarry is just out there taking the [censored] right now and it's sad to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Where's the evidence to suggest they 'purposely' finished down the the ladder during those years?

Well when you delist a huge chunk of your list that’s what happens and they would have known that. 

Tbh I don’t know why people are bringing up the Hawks draft strategy from 2005 and trying to apply it to us now

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

The Hawks must be very bad at tanking.  They were right in the battle for Harley Reid at round 9 or 10 last year. Then they purposely smashed West Coast by 100 points and won 6 of their last 12 or so games.  And last year was their worst end of year ladder position.
IMG_9938.thumb.jpeg.298895fc03f83f4d7ac02a495f5c95da.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Watson11 said:

The Hawks must be very bad at tanking.  They were right in the battle for Harley Reid at round 9 or 10 last year. Then they purposely smashed West Coast by 100 points and won 6 of their last 12 or so games.  And last year was their worst end of year ladder position.
IMG_9938.thumb.jpeg.298895fc03f83f4d7ac02a495f5c95da.jpeg

You realise we are talking about 2005 when they got Lance Franklin?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only read a few bits of this thread, but I was amazed at the negativity of some.  Sure we made mistakes and skill errors etc.  So how did Port, flying high towards a possible flag, only just beat us by 2 points? They must be [censored] too.     GWS likewise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I know Turner started well but he faded incredibly bad in the 2nd half. He needs a big off season to improve his fitness because I think we see glimpse of what he was able to produce in the first half with some of his contested marking but when we needed someone to stand up in the last quarter to take a mark or two he was invincible. 

Like all young players these are good experiences for them to take into the pre season and really work hard on the deficiencies. 

Agree re Turner (assuming you meant invisible not invincible!).

Fritsch could easily have been the sub too, and would have structurally suited us better. But sick or not, JVR was struggling big time. 

• Like 2

Cornes clearly loves to pile on to players.  Clubs must support their players.  He’s a young man going through a tough year and we don’t need media thugs like Cornes demeaning him.  Cornes played a down year 2011 shared between Port power and SANFL Glenelg tigers. Then he got back to form.  He’s a hypocrite!!! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree that any of those players could have been subbed.

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Fritsch defensive work was horrible again.  Missed tackles.  Didn’t chase.  Jogged in fact.  Didn’t man up in the last 2 minutes again. Stood in vacant grass.  Can Goody speak to him.  He’s a quality forward but has to work a lot harder.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Was it just me or did anyone else reckon Tomlinson has slimmed down and added some pace? He was making a habit last night of tearing off up the ground and I felt like he was much faster than usual.

Agree.  He will definitely leave at year end.  Been dropped 3 times for no real reason and constantly ignored.  Played a good game last night.  92% disposals efficiency. Six 1%s. 👏. Not in the best. Not in the worst. Satisfactory.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Fritsch defensive work was horrible again.  Missed tackles.  Didn’t chase.  Jogged in fact.  Didn’t man up in the last 2 minutes again. Stood in vacant grass.  Can Goody speak to him.  He’s a quality forward but has to work a lot harder.  

I agree so why hasn't Cornes done an expose on Fritch? It isn't the first time we have noticed Fritta doesn't tackle. Cornes is a bully and a danger to the mental health of many players. I refuse to listen to SEN or any other Cornes content. Just ignore him and boycott him. He goads us all to click on his content the meaner the better is his mantra.

Don't listen to him.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, Pirlo said:

- Cannot afford to give up pick 6 for Houston. We have three quality kids under 23 and the rest are iffy at best.

-

If you can extend your "quality kids under 23" out another 2 months we have:

Pickett

Rivers

Turner

Bowey

Van Rooyen

McVee

Monez Wakefield

Windsor and

Tholstrup

We also have:

Woewodin

Howes

Jefferson

Brown

All of whom I have some hopes could have a reasonable AFL career.

I dont think it is the worst base to build a team on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Hopefully you're right.
Set shot 35m out, slight angle, he should be taking the kick.
I don't wanna hang the kid but I also think "When ya got it ya got it. And when ya don't ya don't."
Hope he proves me wrong.

Yes - that’s just a young guy with a lack of confidence in his own kicking, but eventually you have rip the bandaid off. As we say back home: “Either sh** or get off the pot, me duck!” 😂

Edited by 3183 Dee

Why do posters get so precious about what Cornes says about our players. What did he say about Clarry this morning that was unfair or untrue?

When he talks trade i take with a pinch of salt. when he talks effort and application he's usually on the money.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I agree so why hasn't Cornes done an expose on Fritch? It isn't the first time we have noticed Fritta doesn't tackle. Cornes is a bully and a danger to the mental health of many players. I refuse to listen to SEN or any other Cornes content. Just ignore him and boycott him. He goads us all to click on his content the meaner the better is his mantra.

Don't listen to him.

Pretty sure Fritsch has copped it in the past.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Was it just me or did anyone else reckon Tomlinson has slimmed down and added some pace? He was making a habit last night of tearing off up the ground and I felt like he was much faster than usual.

I’ve never seen anyone move slower than the Tugboat on the goal line, geez he got lucky there.

Standard ok Tomlinson first up game, more than likely he’ll back it up with a stinker next week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Somethings not right with him. Looks mentally checked out.

Someone raised rumours during the week that he was potentially assessing his options.

• Haha 1