2024 Phantom Drafts

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Does anyone think that Smith might slide a bit? He's the hardest one to place currently for mine and with pick swaps on draft night, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him available at pick 9.

Taking out the academy and f/s players, is this such an unlikely scenario?

1. Lalor (rich)

Pick swap with North: 2 for 6 and 18

2. Langford (rich) 

3. O'sullivan (carl)

4. Draper (Adelaide)

5. Smillie (Melb)

6. Tauru (North)

7. Travaglia (Saints)

8. Armstrong (Saints)

9. Smith? (Melb)

Still have Reid, Lindsay, Allan on the board and there's usually a bolter come draft night that enters top 10 calculations like Windsor. Can't see him as a top 4 lock and not sure we go with him at 5(6).

Saints would be crazy not to take the punt

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I hope we make a play for Richmonds pick 10 and 11. 

Richmond have so many picks they might consider moving up. 

eg. Pick 5, future second (BRI) for Pick 10 and Pick 11. 

Could get something like Reid, Armstrong, Tauru ect with 9, 10 and 11. Or one of the big mids slide.

It's an interesting quandary to consider. By reports, the player you likely get in the top 5 this year will be equal to players around the 12 - 15ish mark; therefore we're not exactly losing anything value wise regarding the substantive player. Therefore, it likely comes down to if there are specific individual qualities per se, that the club want to bring in at a particular pick. Are these available in another player? Are the attributes tangible or non-tangible? What about the player taken at Pick 5 is, or is not, equivalent to the player to be taken at Pick 11? 

I'm not against this at all. However, there is a lot of talk starting to come out that Richmond may look to target North Melbourne's Pick 2. If true, they obviously have series concerns about a certain not being there come Pick 6. Luckily for Richmond with their amazing draft haul, they almost have the luxury of being able to overpay ('burn') a pick in order to get in on those extremely pointy high-end picks; I'm not sure if Richmond would see the overall value in dropping two picks at 10/11 to get up only 5 - 6 spots - but who knows (cf. to Pick 2). 

1 hour ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Could get something like Reid, Armstrong, Tauru ect with 9, 10 and 11. Or one of the big mids slide.

I would hope we'd be looking at that. If we see minimal drop off between 5 and 9 we will essentially be getting pick 11 for free. Only problem is that that might be the Tiges thinking also. 

Would love to add 3 more kids to the list. 2 mids and a KPP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I’d personally rather keep pick 5 in that situation 

While it’s an even draft there still seems to be a relatively stable top 5 or 6 players and with pick 5 we’d be guaranteed to land whoever falls out of that group (my guess is Langford at this stage but still a lot to play out)

Having said that pick 9 for say GWS 15 and 16 is something I’d consider 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nascent said:

Does anyone think that Smith might slide a bit? He's the hardest one to place currently for mine and with pick swaps on draft night, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him available at pick 9.

1. Lalor (rich)

2. Langford (rich) 

3. O'sullivan (carl)

4. Draper (Adelaide)

5. Smillie (Melb)

6. Tauru (North)

7. Travaglia (Saints)

8. Armstrong (Saints)

9. Smith? (Melb)

Still have Reid, Lindsay, Allan on the board and there's usually a bolter come draft night that enters top 10 calculations like Windsor. Can't see him as a top 4 lock and not sure we go with him at 5(6).

I’d be surprised if Smith goes top 5, and Richmond could do anything at 6 including a trade. Smith would fit there depending what they do at 1 but with more picks to come they might go tall if they don’t trade.

St Kilda with Sos and Dalrymple from dogs/swans I’d expect to target pace and big bodies with at least one of their picks. Maybe not Armstrong, key back and small forwards are other needs. Travaglia and a Berry/Hannaford could make sense

If we take Smillie or one of the other mids I wouldn’t be surprised if we still pass over Smith or use him falling as a trade chip to to get a great deal to move back.

Here is Zero Hangar's "Mock Draft" - Picks 1 to 27 (first edition) : https://www.zerohanger.com/2024-afl-mock-draft-picks-1-27-first-edition-156203/

This has the Demons taking Harvey Langford with pick #5 and Luke Trainor with pick #9.

I am reasonably happy with that outcome.  But I guess we shall wait and see?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Here is Zero Hangar's "Mock Draft" - Picks 1 to 27 (first edition) : https://www.zerohanger.com/2024-afl-mock-draft-picks-1-27-first-edition-156203/

This has the Demons taking Harvey Langford with pick #5 and Luke Trainor with pick #9.

I am reasonably happy with that outcome.  But I guess we shall wait and see?

Trainor has slid in drafts substantially throughout the year. Most likely due to multiple concussions, poor kid. I can't see us taking a risk on him at pick 9 especially given the recent history with Gus etc.

As a side note I saw it mentioned somewhere that earlier this year a new rule came in where any player that suffers a concussion in games outside the AFL, if they were to get concussed again at the professional level (AFL, VFL) they must sit out 21 days at minimum.

Crazy that this Mock Drafter thinks we wouldn't take Tauru at 9. If he's off the board which I think he is most likely to be on the night, I can see us taking Travaglia which is a great backup option.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, demoncat said:

While it’s an even draft there still seems to be a relatively stable top 5 or 6 players and with pick 5 we’d be guaranteed to land whoever falls out of that group (my guess is Langford at this stage but still a lot to play out)

If there is someone we really want, trade pick 9 for GWS 15 & 16. Then trade GWS 15/16 & 5 for pick 2. Leaving us with 2 & 15/16. When we traded for 9, Cal T. did say that he definitely thought we would trade more with our picks.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

10 minutes ago, 2021 said:

If there is someone we really want, trade pick 9 for GWS 15 & 16. Then trade GWS 15/16 & 5 for pick 2. Leaving us with 2 & 15/16. When we traded for 9, Cal T. did say that he definitely thought we would trade more with our picks.

If Lalor is there at pick 2 I'd give this some consideration.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nascent said:

1. Lalor (rich)

2. Langford (rich) 

3. O'sullivan (carl)

4. Draper (Adelaide)

5. Smillie (Melb)

6. Tauru (North)

7. Travaglia (Saints)

8. Armstrong (Saints)

9. Smith? (Melb)

If we got Smith and Smilie I'd be dancing on the ceiling. Is that a saying? Anyway, I'd be very happy.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Why not just get the players that are in front of you and not be too cute. Even in this flood of top chances some players are needed more than others I believe. 

Tauru at 5 and the best mid available at 9 looks the best strategy to me. Big player with huge upside will have the biggest effect on our forward line. Then any of the 7/8 mids are going to be a great choice at 9 yo add to our midfield.

While me need mids with pace and finishing skills I believe Sharp and Pup Brown could be big surprises if we use their run and carry smarts around the forward line especially. 

Tweaking  Windsor to the centre could well straighten us up also. He is such a good user of the ball and covers ground so well I find it hard to believe he couldn’t kick 15/20 goals from there in 2035. So

much more attacking just by his pace and style of game he reminds me of a potential Chad Warner and of.course on the wing Robbie Flower. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, demoncat said:

Why drop back 15/16 looks exactly where the very top level tapers off. But a fair chance you could get a B grader by 2 instead of a real A choice at 9 who would have a greater impact. 

• Like 3

Although this draft is supposed to be fairly even it still seems like there is an upper echelon on players that ends around 7-8 (maybe sooner), I don't like the idea of splitting 5 and taking the "scraps" of the top 15 or so players, let JT have his pick of the largest pool of players available. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

It's an interesting quandary to consider. By reports, the player you likely get in the top 5 this year will be equal to players around the 12 - 15ish mark; therefore we're not exactly losing anything value wise regarding the substantive player. Therefore, it likely comes down to if there are specific individual qualities per se, that the club want to bring in at a particular pick. Are these available in another player? Are the attributes tangible or non-tangible? What about the player taken at Pick 5 is, or is not, equivalent to the player to be taken at Pick 11? 

I'm not against this at all. However, there is a lot of talk starting to come out that Richmond may look to target North Melbourne's Pick 2. If true, they obviously have series concerns about a certain not being there come Pick 6. Luckily for Richmond with their amazing draft haul, they almost have the luxury of being able to overpay ('burn') a pick in order to get in on those extremely pointy high-end picks; I'm not sure if Richmond would see the overall value in dropping two picks at 10/11 to get up only 5 - 6 spots - but who knows (cf. to Pick 2). 

It seems likely P5 will be more equivalent to P1 than P10.

I also think Rich will take Smith at P1. Then Nth won’t trade down, but take Tauru at P2, he’s exactly what they need.

Carl might love FOS but I’d bet they go Cripps#2 Lalor P3. Adel go Draper P4.

At P5 we take Langford or FOS ?

Either player is worth holding onto P5 for, and neither will be there at P10

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I am still a big believer in holding 5 and holding 9.  Don’t drift too far down by pick splitting.  Don’t try to dilute picks by grabbing 2. There are an elite group in the top 10. We will grab TWO of them 👏👏

I agree with holding pick 5 for sure. There seems to be a clear top 6( not including Ashcroft)with little between them. Barring a big surprise we will have two of them to choose from. Can’t really lose. 

Im probably holding onto 9 as well but if an offer came in that allowed us to still pick up a player we want and get another solid pick I’d be open to it depending on how it unfolds on the night. 

• Like 4