Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

definitely not his call, whether one thinks he's right or not

on top of this, this report is on the afl official web site and barrett is employed and writing for the afl

so what is the afl's responsibility in this? if i was the club i would be making a strong complaint to the afl

I heard Barrett on trade radio a couple of days ago saying he knows for a fact that the AFL are very concerned about how MFC is being run. Think what he wrote is him being a mouthpiece for AFL. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Colm said:

I heard Barrett on trade radio a couple of days ago saying he knows for a fact that the AFL are very concerned about how MFC is being run. Think what he wrote is him being a mouthpiece for AFL. 

It's the AFL's fault for forcing Pert on us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My view on the Oliver situation is that we, the MFC management, have decided to take off the mollycoddling gloves and call him out on the behaviors that continue and are problematic. That part of this process is to let him know if he doesn’t like it, he can look elsewhere and if he can get paid the same and the MFC are fairly compensated (picks) then we’d be open to parting. But not at our expense (I.e. we’re not paying his salary elsewhere nor accepting unders). 
The point being forcing Clarry to realise how good he has it at MFC and to light a fire under him to take more responsibility for his behaviour. 
Pert has the role of bad cop in this, others I’m sure are playing the good cop role. 
it’s an internal player behavior issue that has, unfortunately, spilled into the public space. Which may be a good thing if it gets Clarry back focused on footy, and more mature in his interactions with club and players… 

just speculation :)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 4
  • Clap 3
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Of course, the media are wrong constantly and we should start a thread about all their idiotic big statements they make

Robbo, Caro, Hutchy, Morris, Eddie etc mostly talk rot

As much as I live, breathe and eat football, 600 hours a day to call them on their garbage is a bridge to far.

I'm only in my early 50's, but geez I remember back in the day when football reporting involved talking about tactics and gamestyle, not who has a new girlfriend, or who was spotted at [insert latest hotspot here] club.

Sure sometimes there is smoke, but mostly it's someone seeing a campfire and calling it a bushfire. And if they are wrong (as they often are) they just ignore it and move onto the next gossip column story.

I'm sure a million dollar plus a year contract eases the pain, but it has to be draining to be in the news being talked about by people that only have a 1/10th idea of the real story.

• Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Colm said:

But they are happy for Barrett etc to batter us into submission so their favourite teams get what they want.

1 minute ago, Clintosaurus said:

But they are happy for Barrett etc to batter us into submission so their favourite teams get what they want.

I highly doubt we're going to trade Oliver just because the media says we should.

• Like 3

Just now, KozzyCan said:

I highly doubt we're going to trade Oliver just because the media says we should.

I agree. Won't stop them continuing until Wednesday night.

20 minutes ago, Colm said:

Barrett has been proven to be uninformed and a liar repeatedly over the years. Take anything he says with a grain of salt. He's a liar and a cancer on the industry and sport at large 

• Like 8
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

As much as I live, breathe and eat football, 600 hours a day to call them on their garbage is a bridge to far.

I'm only in my early 50's, but geez I remember back in the day when football reporting involved talking about tactics and gamestyle, not who has a new girlfriend, or who was spotted at [insert latest hotspot here] club.

Sure sometimes there is smoke, but mostly it's someone seeing a campfire and calling it a bushfire. And if they are wrong (as they often are) they just ignore it and move onto the next gossip column story.

I'm sure a million dollar plus a year contract eases the pain, but it has to be draining to be in the news being talked about by people that only have a 1/10th idea of the real story.

Fair enough

And because of what you've said, footy only represents a small part of my life

I only watch a game or 2 and none of the other shows.  Don't follow the footy news outlets and I couldn't name many players from any of the other clubs

And it's been that way for decades

It pays to have a lot of other interests

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, Clintosaurus said:

I agree. Won't stop them continuing until Wednesday night.

It's a boring time of year and we gave them a feed that was guaranteed to last them the whole trade period.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

My view on the Oliver situation is that we, the MFC management, have decided to take off the mollycoddling gloves and call him out on the behaviors that continue and are problematic. That part of this process is to let him know if he doesn’t like it, he can look elsewhere and if he can get paid the same and the MFC are fairly compensated (picks) then we’d be open to parting. But not at our expense (I.e. we’re not paying his salary elsewhere nor accepting unders). 
The point being forcing Clarry to realise how good he has it at MFC and to light a fire under him to take more responsibility for his behaviour. 
Pert has the role of bad cop in this, others I’m sure are playing the good cop role. 
it’s an internal player behavior issue that has, unfortunately, spilled into the public space. Which may be a good thing if it gets Clarry back focused on footy, and more mature in his interactions with club and players… 

That is the most logical explanation offered, to date!

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

We didn’t do that last year? What’s the point in doing it if you’re never going to follow through with it?

• Clap 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

Fair enough

And because of what you've said, footy only represents a small part of my life

I only watch a game or 2 and none of the other shows.  Don't follow the footy news outlets and I couldn't name many players from any of the other clubs

And it's been that way for decades

It pays to have a lot of other interests

Maybe I didn't say it right, but what I was meaning was that if we did form a group to try to hold the footy journo's (ie gossip columnists) to account it would take more hours than any of us had in the day.

Then I did a bit of grandad talk about how things were better in my day (which I bloody well stand by!)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Maybe I didn't say it right, but what I was meaning was that if we did form a group to try to hold the footy journo's (ie gossip columnists) to account it would take more hours than any of us had in the day.

Then I did a bit of grandad talk about how things were better in my day (which I bloody well stand by!)

I do think a thread highlighting all their grandiose big statements would be a bit of fun

And we could point all the 'When are they ever wrong' types to that same thread

'Go here!'

Affirmative action!   The Power of the index finger!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

He heads back home to Echuca every off season for a bit.  I was lucky enough to have a quick kick with him as he was running laps around Vic Park (Echuca's home ground) last off season.

Other than playing some junior footy in Mooroopna to get into the Bushrangers, I doubt he has many other reasons to be heading to Shepparton.

I've had a bit to do with him and think he's a ripper of a lad.  Sadly, he'll never have the polish of a Brayshaw, will to be individually the GOAT like Trac or grow a social media/business empire like Gawn.

He's just a simple country lad from hard working parents with sadly (sorry Clayton), probably not a great deal going on in his scone.

He desperately needs good role models around him to get the best out of him as without these I do worry about what will happen to him career wise.

That's the thing, though, he isn't in Shepparton.  That is one of the lies his mum blasted about last night on social media.  He's playing golf in Moama.  A friend of mine is a teacher at Goulburn Valley Grammar, and she described him as being a bit of a space cadet when he was in high school, in a loveable way, so that would concur with your evaluation of him not having a lot going on in his scone (great way to put it!). 

I think that's where Gawny though has been really good for him, and in the podcast last week, he really does value him as a friend or mentor.  I think that's a bit reason why I don't think he wants to be traded out.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Ideally the MFC President is not tweeting....

Sure, but I think this makes it crystal clear, Oliver will NOT be traded. Green may be an interim President with a plan to replace him longer term but he’s not going to want to be made to look like an [censored] by his own club within the space of a week.

BTW, Kennett, Maguire, Kosh, Cochrane all used social media and media statements a huge amount in their presidencies. We just had a President in Roffey who stayed largely silent and was crucified for it this year! You can’t win, I’m just glad Brad has made it clear to us members that this is nonsense, which was the intent of the tweet. 
Brad Green, Clarry’s Mum, Tim Lamb, Andrew Mackie have all poured cold water on this story in the last few days. I think a big part of the reason Barrett is keeping it going is to target Pert. I think he and probably the AFL are worried that if Melbourne come through this trade period with Oliver, Petracca a few picks and Sharp and possibly Derksen supporters may feel ok about their club and wait for the results of the reviews, rather than assemble a lynch mob to remove Pert and possibly Goodwin, which has been their agenda for quite some time.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1