Goody is a genius!!!

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Demons' lost the contested ball battle 141-105. 

Goodwin. "That's been one of the strongest things in our game for the last five weeks … so it wasn't just the hitouts. It was a combination of all that within our game, and we'll own it, we’ll lean into it. And we'll come back better next week."

blah blah. Corporate Speak. “Lean into it”.  Will we “pivot” to “align to our strategic imperatives “.  Goodwin speak is becoming NAUSEOUS!! 

You forgot learnings.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, rjay said:

If we look at our best 5 players coming into this season we could probably say Max, Trac, Clary, Gus and May.

3 of those are out, 1 at half power and the other going ok.

We get the results we should pretty much expect.

We don't have the star power on the ground to win against top teams.

No coach is going to fix that, genius or not.

Losing Gus was the straw that broke the camel's back after Clarry's bad off season.

Then Trac almost died and the camel was like "I'm out folks".

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think Goody has been great for this Club, but he was seriously out- coached yesterday. The players may have got a bath but so did the coach. And it seems that the Dees are serial offenders at [censored] the bed when absolutely critical games are at stake (except in ‘21). What is embarrassing is that after our earlier defeat, Goody claimed that Freo had not seen the real Dees. Well I think they have, and Freo played like they knew they had. Our coaching staff and our senior players (except Langdon and May), particularly our on field leaders, really need to hang their heads after that performance. It was the “kids” that showed some ticker, and they were let down badly by our coach and our senior players. Let’s hope they truely learn something from this game, and actually act on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 6

His response to the Fullarton non selection was a bad gaffe.

He chose trying to defend himself, but in doing so threw Fullarton under the bus.  Not the type of "team" mentality he should be driving.

He should apologise to Fullarton and the group.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

He chose trying to defend himself, but in doing so threw Fullarton under the bus.  Not the type of "team" mentality he should be driving.

It’s very interesting Stretch because Goody has always protected each and every player during his press conferences. This is the first time I can remember him doing something like this. He usually takes one for the team, but not this time. 

1 minute ago, Neil Crompton said:

It’s very interesting Stretch because Goody has always protected each and every player during his press conferences. This is the first time I can remember him doing something like this. He usually takes one for the team, but not this time. 

Yeah I am sure he would like to take that back.

35 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Apologise to Fullarton?

The coach doesn’t have to be liked by every player. I think what he said is spot on, everyone complains he gives nothing. He stated a fact.

if he said Verrell was more likely to play than Fullerton as ruck maybe you’d have a case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stretch Johnson said:

It's the truth...we don't have anyone apart from Max who can compete in ruck contests at that level.

People want him to talk straight then he does and others complain.

I know it's a no win situation.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

It's the truth...we don't have anyone apart from Max who can compete in ruck contests at that level.

People want him to talk straight then he does and others complain.

I know it's a no win situation.

I have no problem with Goodwin talking straight. The trade(s) of Fullarton and Schache have been a complete bust, we are basically 2 men down, Hunter is not far behind them realistically 

• Like 3

I think it’s hilarious that fans think Fullarton would be shocked by what Goody said. 
There would be dozens of far worse things said to players by coaches on a weekly basis. 

Goody can’t lie and say oh sorry I totally stuffed up not playing a 19 gamer part time ruckman who can’t win a hit out at Casey. He would have taken their two top quality rucks to the cleaners. And we would never have lost clearances by 9000. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

he was absolutely seething in the post-match press conference i thought

normally he defends the players; he really didn't this time around

Not surprised.

There's been far too many of these games this year where the game's been effectively over at quarter time because we haven't applied anywhere near the pressure required. The amount of times Freo waltzed out of a contested situation, as well as the coast to coast goals we gave up....

Our pressure has been much improved since the bye, but there was a major regression yesterday.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have no problem with Goodwin talking straight. The trade(s) of Fullarton and Schache have been a complete bust, we are basically 2 men down, Hunter is not far behind them realistically 

tim lamb needs to go.

Unacceptable how we have lost bedford, grundy, harmes and jordan and in return recieved billilngs, schache, mcadam and fullarton

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Time for a reality check.

We are used to having a stellar midfield, but the fact is, Petracca is out for the season, Brayshaw is out for life, Clarry (for whatever reason) is a shadow of his best, and JV7 is trying hard as always but his disposal has always been poor. The truth is, our midfield atm is possibly the weakest in the league. And that is NOT due to Goody. It is a combination of events beyond his control. And we can whinge about Grundy but the facts is it didn't work so he tried an alternative - and is now being thoroughly bagged for doing so. Fullarton is clearly a disappointment, but ruckmen do not grow on trees, particularly ruckmen who would be prepared to freeze their backsides off at Casey in the hope of getting the occasional game in the firsts.

We have to realise where we are and work from there. The fact that we are even in the conversation for finals at the moment is actually a credit to the coaches given what has happened to our midfield, the engine room.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

39 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think it’s hilarious that fans think Fullarton would be shocked by what Goody said. 
There would be dozens of far worse things said to players by coaches on a weekly basis. 

Goody can’t lie and say oh sorry I totally stuffed up not playing a 19 gamer part time ruckman who can’t win a hit out at Casey. He would have taken their two top quality rucks to the cleaners. And we would never have lost clearances by 9000. 

No you can't do that publicly.

Goody has chosen to defend his own reputation, he could have responded differently.  He singled out the player and it was a mistake.

It is as others have pointed, out of character and notable for its departure from his usual straight bat.  

6 hours ago, Travy14 said:

They played a lot like we do at our best, have one out the back and the others push forward and back their bulls to win it and move it fwd, which is why they were flowing forward with such pace, they won the hard ball and got it out.

I think they just beat us at everything, was not a good display from the players.  

Yes the players who could barely get their hands on the ball in the first half but hey another excuse to get stuck into the coach. Wouldn't have mattered what the game plan is if you can't get the ball, not that any on here would know what it was anyway.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, loges said:

Yes the players who could barely get their hands on the ball in the first half but hey another excuse to get stuck into the coach. Wouldn't have mattered what the game plan is if you can't get the ball, not that any on here would know what it was anyway.

Coach needs to take some responsibility, not taking a ruck was a mistake.  But its also not the be all and end all, not the sole reason we lost.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Coach needs to take some responsibility, not taking a ruck was a mistake.  But its also not the be all and end all, not the sole reason we lost.

We don’t have a ruck other than Max 

Why is that so hard for some people to accept 

He was a bit harsh on Fullarton with his brutally honest response to a direct question but nevertheless he was 100% right 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Sydee said:

We don’t have a ruck other than Max 

Why is that so hard for some people to accept 

He was a bit harsh on Fullarton with his brutally honest response to a direct question but nevertheless he was 100% right 

Yes we do,

And they are better options than Petty, they didn't need to win the taps, but just not allow easy taps like what happened all game.  It was different in the wet last week when they just had to put on OK pressure and it force fumbles.  but this week in the dry, we were shown up.

Im not saying hang goody, but it was a wrong call.  We move on.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Yes we do,

And they are better options than Petty, they didn't need to win the taps, but just not allow easy taps like what happened all game.  It was different in the wet last week when they just had to put on OK pressure and it force fumbles.  but this week in the dry, we were shown up.

Im not saying hang goody, but it was a wrong call.  We move on.

Watch some Casey games to find the truth 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sydee said:

Watch some Casey games to find the truth 

I do, and Verral would be able to do a good enough job to not allow easy easy hit outs.  Its hois craft and he knows positioning etc, Petty tries to jump over the top and it works a couple of times but Darcy figured it out pretty quick and blocked his path so that he has to reach to far.

Fullarton i agree is no where near it. but there was a role to play for Verral.  Instead we are playing a guy who has had two foot issues inn the ruck.  I'm sure the medicos ticked it off but still.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

I do, and Verral would be able to do a good enough job to not allow easy easy hit outs.  Its hois craft and he knows positioning etc, Petty tries to jump over the top and it works a couple of times but Darcy figured it out pretty quick and blocked his path so that he has to reach to far.

Fullarton i agree is no where near it. but there was a role to play for Verral.  Instead we are playing a guy who has had two foot issues inn the ruck.  I'm sure the medicos ticked it off but still.

I’m on record as being quite upbeat about young Will

The more Casey games I’ve watched this season the more I am starting to temper my expectations 

He would do no better than Fullarton at AFL level imo and it seems the opinion of the FD who get to see his progression first hand every week

He doesn’t look like he has a fitness base that would allow him to play AFL atm 

Could he make it eventually? Well maybe but he will always be shorter than most opposition rucks and frankly isn’t a Jeff White when it comes to leap 

19 minutes ago, Sydee said:

I’m on record as being quite upbeat about young Will

The more Casey games I’ve watched this season the more I am starting to temper my expectations 

He would do no better than Fullarton at AFL level imo and it seems the opinion of the FD who get to see his progression first hand every week

He doesn’t look like he has a fitness base that would allow him to play AFL atm 

Could he make it eventually? Well maybe but he will always be shorter than most opposition rucks and frankly isn’t a Jeff White when it comes to leap 

He is 12th on the VFL list for hitouts and only 3 above him aren't on an AFL list or ex AFL players.  He would have provided a contest in the ruck.  Petty did not.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Surely they watched Fullerton in QLD to see if he could ruck - may be not. A few red faces I would think.

• Like 1