Goody is a genius!!!

no need to discuss, you arent getting apologies from anyone who has slagged him off at all, which is pretty typical.

But what a courageous decision to have petty and jvr ruck.

thought they did well and Petty got better as the game went on.

Go Dees!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hardly a genius but had the boys prepared for wet weather footy and the selection wasn’t all that difficult especially once the conditions were confirmed. Fullarton is at best a dry day forward/ruck. Even with Petty struggling he wasn’t going to play.

Tag Merrett, tag Martin as much as possible, play contest footy with a nice dose of pace on the ball when needed and not getting overly reliant on long bombs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So underrated.

It looked to me like Scott started the game with his very tall forwards going up the ground to draw May and Lever with them, and destroy our defensive structure. And it worked. But Goody somehow turned it around, got our structure back on track, and we kept them to about 3 goals for the next 2 1/2 quarters, until the incredible effort told on our players.

He covered the loss of Max by alternating relatively unknown "ruckmen" against Draper, and adjusting our centre square setup, so we held our own in clearances.

And as happens so often,  there players, who obviously love him, produced an extraordinary effort and showed the opposition up.

A totally underrated coach.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

Thanks for putting the work in, Paul…

Umm, he is doing great with the roles that the kids have been given. Rivers and Pickett are more expansive and they have levelled up, even McVee to an extent. But AMW, Kolt, Turner, Windsor, and JVR are just nailing the specific roles they have been given and it makes things smooth; less mistakes, less easy possessions for the oppo, better looks forward, and the whole team has been forced to trust them but they are up to it.

At this point in this crazy year, I don’t know if we can make the finals - but if I can see this for 3 or 4 of the next 6 weeks this will not be a wasted year. Far from it. The last month has been really promising.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Genius - getting our kids so primed and disciplined. We are playing a web across ground, it strangled the Dons and our rebound keeps getting better. 
Keep this up and Goody may have us as a genuine late charger this year…

we’re playing passionate aggressive footy that’s flowing beautifully at times. 

GENIOUS! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

The ruck position  is obsolete unless you have a ruck the calibre of Max Gawn (or perhaps Luke Jackson if he ever rucked solo permanently with a Darcy-less world)

The issue with Goodwins plan is the added injury risk to an already fragile Petty, as well as removing JVR out of the fwd 50 for extended periods

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Thinking 2

Just now, adonski said:

The ruck position  is obsolete unless you have a ruck the calibre of Max Gawn (or perhaps Luke Jackson if he ever rucked solo permanently with a Darcy-less world)

The issue with Goodwins plan is the added injury risk to an already fragile Petty, as well as removing JVR out of the fwd 50 for extended periods

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought our ball-up and boundary throw-in gameplan was intentionally different and brilliant. It looked to me that we did NOT spread quickly from these scenarios, but kept it tight moving it forward in the Richmond chaos style. And this might be because the Bummers are genuine pretenders and get flogged by teams who are strong in the contest and thrive in the battle. The work of Viney, Oliver, ANB and the much-maligned Sparrow was central to this.

Also, it was like 2021, when we almost allowed teams to bring it through the wings only to stifle it at half back, turn it over and spread on the counter attack. May and MacDonald were pillars tonight.

Great gameplan and coaching.

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tracca said:

But what a courageous decision to have petty and jvr ruck.

thought they did well and Petty got better as the game went on.

Lol what?

I suppose he couldn't have got any worse than Q1 when he was essentially dragged, but didn't exactly do any more once he was caused us to lose JVR from fwd 50 and didn't cause McKay any trouble (other than the late holding the ball)

• Clap 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Vomit 1

I wasn’t there and couldn’t watch it online. I wonder about the influence of Melksham on our forward line. I reckon he’ll be a very good coach one day. Maybe even is one already?

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

I think the McQualter influence re Tigers style. Thought the same. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Supdeano said:

Some terms are thrown around loosely these days

• Clap 1

16 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Genius - getting our kids so primed and disciplined. We are playing a web across ground, it strangled the Dons and our rebound keeps getting better. 
Keep this up and Goody may have us as a genuine late charger this year…

we’re playing passionate aggressive footy that’s flowing beautifully at times. 

GENIOUS! 

Is this Goody’s burner account by chance? 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

So underrated.

It looked to me like Scott started the game with his very tall forwards going up the ground to draw May and Lever with them, and destroy our defensive structure. And it worked. But Goody somehow turned it around, got our structure back on track, and we kept them to about 3 goals for the next 2 1/2 quarters, until the incredible effort told on our players.

He covered the loss of Max by alternating relatively unknown "ruckmen" against Draper, and adjusting our centre square setup, so we held our own in clearances.

And as happens so often,  there players, who obviously love him, produced an extraordinary effort and showed the opposition up.

A totally underrated coach.

We didn't hold our own in clearances, we spanked them. Otherwise, I agree mate.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rpfc said:

At this point in this crazy year, I don’t know if we can make the finals - but if I can see this for 3 or 4 of the next 6 weeks this will not be a wasted year. Far from it. The last month has been really promising.

I think if we see it for 4 of the next 6 weeks, we'll play finals. I'm not sure we will, but let's see.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, adonski said:

This is absolutely the issue with it. You are asking for trouble playing an injury prone petty in the ruck, and I agree regarding the cost of taking jvr away from what we would hope would be further development time in his natural forward position.

• Facepalm 1

Something clicked tonight after a disturbing start.

But we simple cannot afford to sacrifice JVR's continuing development as a key forward to be dissipated by him having to take first ruck duties.  We are down a key forward as a result.

Unless FullArton, Verrall or 😮 even Schache stand up and demand selection JVR risks injury and form decline as a vital tall forward, which would be disastrous for our club going forward.  He is our future as a KPF, with limited Ruch duties, NOT as a first ruck.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2